Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kman

The RCMP response, though, was the über-Canadian thing I have read in a long time.

"This is the first incident of this nature," said RCMP Sgt. Chris Manseau. "I think people should just wear their masks and be safe and be polite."

Now, if this guy had defiled a Tim Horton's, I think the RCMP statement would have been far less temperate.

God bless our northern neighbors, I love and miss you guys.
this is a typical Canadian "mass shooting"

Disney Experience

This was the most un-Canada article I've read in a while.

One can hope it was a tourist. 🤔
Perhaps the man was asking over and over for the key to the restroom, and they kept responding he had to maskup first🤡

Touchdown

Since the CDC has said that the vaccinated should wear masks because the vaccines don't prevent them from spreading it to a large enough degree, does it really matter how many get vaccinated with respect to being stuck wearing them? Even if the vaccines keep people out of the hospital, there are many areas which will continue to require them as long as cases are in the current range and community transmission is "high."

I fully expect the Federal mask mandate to be in place until at least 2025 unless cases get driven down to some near zero number nationally like 0.1 case per 100k per day even if hospitalizations are at 10% of the current level.
When conditions (like they are now) show that the place your in has a high or substantial spread. When cases go down the masks for vaccinated people can go off. I’m tired of making this point over and over again. Florida has a long way to go to get there but if cases continue to decline, might get to that point in 6 (+/- 2) weeks.

correcaminos

Since the CDC has said that the vaccinated should wear masks because the vaccines don't prevent them from spreading it to a large enough degree, does it really matter how many get vaccinated with respect to being stuck wearing them? Even if the vaccines keep people out of the hospital, there are many areas which will continue to require them as long as cases are in the current range and community transmission is "high."

I fully expect the Federal mask mandate to be in place until at least 2025 unless cases get driven down to some near zero number nationally like 0.1 case per 100k per day even if hospitalizations are at 10% of the current level.
That's not what the CDC said...
  • To reduce the risk of being infected with the Delta variant and possibly spreading it to others, wear a mask indoors in public if you are in an area of substantial or high transmission.
That's what they suggest. The possibility of a breakthrough with spread is there but it's still rare. Acting like vaccines are nothing is not wise.

For example my kid is under close contact exposure #2 of the year. Instead of just isolating him at home (what unvaxxed do) he can continue to go to school. Requested to wear a mask on the very off chance he gets sick and could spread further. This is a super strict school setting. Vaccines do help enough, it's extra precaution. Spinning it the way some have is unhelpful to understanding why.

A month or so ago I'd never wear a mask indoors because our spread was low and I'm vaccinated. Unvaccinated were to wear indoors but they didn't. It's a better argument to say that because of these unvaxxed maskholes that I do wear again. We are not to be viewed as the same even in the CDC's eyes.

I think your suggestion of 2025 is pretty far fetched and leads me to think you are viewing this all wrong. Eventually enough with be vaccinated and naturally immune to make it endemic at worst here. Thinking this will last 5 years really is not what I think is normal by most but ideas fed by people who try to tell you none of this matters.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Florida reported Tuesday to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 18,608 more COVID-19 cases on Monday, according to Miami Herald calculations of CDC data. The state also reported eight new deaths on Monday.

In all, Florida has recorded at least 3,250,454 confirmed COVID cases statewide. In the last seven days, on average, the state has added 263 deaths and 20,930 cases each day, according to Herald calculations."

"There were 15,682 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida on Tuesday, according to data reported to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services from 231 Florida hospitals. That is 106 fewer patients than Monday’s COVID patient population.

COVID-19 patients also accounted for 28.63% of all hospital patients.

Of the hospitalized in Florida, 3,426 people were in intensive care unit beds, a decrease of 68. That represents 51.45% of the state’s ICU hospital beds from 231 hospitals reporting data."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Jesus. I am not anti mask and I never said masks do not have benefits. I have only questioned the the benefits of masks in school settings with the current delta variant. And why so much focus over the last year has been put on something with little to no benefit, rather than areas with significant benefit. There is no strawman. Some people here are obsessed with them so much that they can't see past them. "Oh, if the governor would have only allowed mask mandates in schools, things would be so much better. What a jerk. He has blood on this hands." That is what some people sound like. What a bunch of BS. Things in school would have had a chance of being better if a dozen other things were done to help prevent school spread. I underestimated delta by thinking that most other mitigation was not necessary to avoid major school spread. I overestimated the amount of people who would be vaccinated by now. And it seems many leaders did as well. So, who has blinders?
If the governors of states like FL and TX had allowed districts to decide for themselves if masks were needed or not things would be better in those states for kids in school, how much so….we will never know. That’s a fact. Covid wouldn’t be gone, cases wouldn’t be zero, but there would be less kids who got sick in school. There is no way a rational person can look at masks in school and say with any level of sincerity they do nothing. So putting that argument aside and assuming we can all agree masks would do something the debate comes down to if the inconvenience or discomfort of wearing a mask is worth the benefit it may provide even if we don’t have a peer reviewed, certified study showing exactly how effective the masks are. Common sense tells us something is better than nothing and there are enough studies that have come to different conclusions that it’s impossible for anyone to say they know one way or the other how effective masks are. As a parent I’d rather my kids be uncomfortable and know there is less chance they get Covid. I’ll take that any day and I can’t see how any other parent wouldn’t want to do anything they could to keep their kids safe.

Virtual Toad

Jesus. I am not anti mask and I never said masks do not have benefits. I have only questioned the the benefits of masks in school settings with the current delta variant. And why so much focus over the last year has been put on something with little to no benefit, rather than areas with significant benefit. There is no strawman. Some people here are obsessed with them so much that they can't see past them. "Oh, if the governor would have only allowed mask mandates in schools, things would be so much better. What a jerk. He has blood on this hands." That is what some people sound like. What a bunch of BS. Things in school would have had a chance of being better if a dozen other things were done to help prevent school spread. I underestimated delta by thinking that most other mitigation was not necessary to avoid major school spread. I overestimated the amount of people who would be vaccinated by now. And it seems many leaders did as well. So, who has blinders?
To be clear lest my or others’ positions be taken out of context:

Yes, I am beyond frustrated that the governor in our state is forbidding local school districts from enacting mask mandates. He is completely out of bounds and out of touch on this issue. And state officials should not punish local school districts for taking steps to protect the children in their districts.

Do I believe that mask wearing in schools is a silver bullet or the end-all be-all? Absolutely not. You may dispute their benefit but the experts simply disagree. There is a benefit— and to staunchly refuse to see that is unproductive. But no one is saying they are the only solution.

So once again to be clear- I am frustrated by the governor’s irresponsible position on mask mandates. He is wrong and a judge has agreed that the ban on mandates is out of bounds.

But I am also frustrated that there are no social distancing policies, virtual learning or other mitigation measures in place— protections that, along with masks, were in place last year when things were not as dire.

There simply is not enough being done. But over and over again, the scientific community has urged a multifaceted approach to mitigate the spread of cases in public spaces including schools. Masks are not the only part of that approach. But the scientific consensus tells us over and over again that they are an important component.

Angel Ariel

I really wonder... are the people shouting about mask mandates at these school board meetings happy about the current situation? Are they OK with this kind of educational disruption caused by the quarantines? What do they think is the alternative that would keep their kids healthy and in class, since obviously the default no-mask mandate isn't working? And is this group really large enough that the governor thinks his political future will be secured if he appeases them?

Can't speak for everywhere, but where I am? No, they're not happy with the educational disruption either. They don't think there needs to be educational disruption. THey don't think this impacts kids, so school and everything should just carry on as it did pre-pandemic. No quarantines, no isolations. Just go back to "normal."

JoeCamel

A month or so ago I'd never wear a mask indoors because our spread was low and I'm vaccinated. Unvaccinated were to wear indoors but they didn't. It's a better argument to say that because of these unvaxxed maskholes that I do wear again. We are not to be viewed as the same even in the CDC's eyes.
I was the same a couple of months ago, I can wear one again, no big deal and I do it for the same reasons

Last edited by a moderator:

yonafunu

"Florida reported Tuesday to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 18,608 more COVID-19 cases on Monday, according to Miami Herald calculations of CDC data. The state also reported eight new deaths on Monday.

In all, Florida has recorded at least 3,250,454 confirmed COVID cases statewide. In the last seven days, on average, the state has added 263 deaths and 20,930 cases each day, according to Herald calculations."

"There were 15,682 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida on Tuesday, according to data reported to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services from 231 Florida hospitals. That is 106 fewer patients than Monday’s COVID patient population.

COVID-19 patients also accounted for 28.63% of all hospital patients.

Of the hospitalized in Florida, 3,426 people were in intensive care unit beds, a decrease of 68. That represents 51.45% of the state’s ICU hospital beds from 231 hospitals reporting data."

it becomes better... decreasing cases/hospitalization/ICU. Hope this is a real trend and not a simple daily variation.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think people are afraid that if you ask any questions or raise any concerns at all about masks, you are opening the door to providing people who simply dislike them with excuses for not wearing them. It seems most people here are in favor of masks as long as they are better than nothing, and many (not all) are not bothered by them in the least (the same as wearing pants notion). With respect, this is not an attitude I see in other places, even among people who wear masks and have been vaccinated.

I think you raised some valid points in recent posts. Anyone who is truly anti-mask was driven out of this thread a long time ago. But if you say anything less than positive about masks or mask mandates, you get the same treatment as people who use the term "flu" in the same comment as COVID. It doesn't matter what you say; people respond on auto-pilot. This obviously is not directed at all posters. Several have carefully considered what others say and responded in kind.

correcaminos

I think people are afraid that if you ask any questions or raise any concerns at all about masks, you are opening the door to providing people who simply dislike them with excuses for not wearing them. It seems most people here are in favor of masks as long as they are better than nothing, and many (not all) are not bothered by them in the least (the same as wearing pants notion). With respect, this is not an attitude I see in other places, even among people who wear masks and have been vaccinated.

I think you raised some valid points in recent posts. Anyone who is truly anti-mask was driven out of this thread a long time ago. But if you say anything less than positive about masks or mask mandates, you get the same treatment as people who use the term "flu" in the same comment as COVID. It doesn't matter what you say; people respond on auto-pilot. This obviously is not directed at all posters. Several have carefully considered what others say and responded in kind.
I think we're honestly just tired of the mask argument and we'll go on 2 years of this crap with people acting like they don't help

I'd love to never ever wear a mask again. I would welcome studies proving wrong, I'm just adult enough to realize a year and a half later that the studies won't show up. It's called living reality here.
Edit: oof that sounded harsher than I meant it to. This is just me talking about myself trying to rationalize masks still. Not directed at others.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I think we're honestly just tired of the mask argument and we'll go on 2 years of this crap with people acting like they don't help

I'd love to never ever wear a mask again. I would welcome studies proving wrong, I'm just adult enough to realize a year and a half later that the studies won't show up. It's called living reality here.
That's understandable and you're probably right, but there's a danger in deciding in advance what evidence will or will not show up. I think we need to keep evaluating if for no other reason than to avoid overlooking other more effective measures even if they are not as easy to implement as mask mandates. On the other hand, maybe masks are the most people are willing to do and the alternative is just to deal with reality and live with the virus the best we can.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's understandable and you're probably right, but there's a danger in deciding in advance what evidence will or will not show up. I think we need to keep evaluating if for no other reason than to avoid overlooking other more effective measures even if they are not as easy to implement as mask mandates. On the other hand, maybe masks are the most people are willing to do and the alternative is just to deal with reality and live with the virus the best we can.
I agree with this. We have continued to study the effectiveness of many mitigation techniques and we have seen recommendations change as a result. People are no longer wiping down packages or deep cleaning surfaces as frequently since that was shown to be less effective. Masks outdoors are mostly not recommended anymore except in certain situations. As time goes on we have increased our understanding of this virus and made changes accordingly. I’m sure future changes will come as well.

As far as masks in school today they are our best bet to reduce spread in a lot of cases when combined with distancing and proper hygiene. For High School kids vaccination is the best plan but kids under 12 still aren’t eligible. I think all school districts should require all teachers and staff to be fully vaccinated and once the vaccines are approved for all children they should be mandated for students as well. A virtual option could be offered for kids who can’t get the vaccine until community spread is way down. Between now and then the best way to keep kids in school and avoid a lot of quarantining and sickness is to require the kids wear masks in school. We have no definitive evidence the masks don’t work so as you said we shouldn’t assume that evidence will show up later. If it does then I’m sure the plans will change and masks won’t be required for students. Hopefully by then the kids will all be vaccinated and it won’t matter.

Lilofan

it becomes better... decreasing cases/hospitalization/ICU. Hope this is a real trend and not a simple daily variation.
Decreasing is a good sign so the ones who have had their elective surgeries such as knee and hip replacements postponed can have hope that their day will come sooner than later. Who would ever think something like covid would cripple the hospital system.

The Mom

Premium Member
The same mask debate has been going on for over a year now. No one is going to change anyone's mind about it, so it is time to let it go. News is still OK, but not the same old arguments. And as always, please keep politics out of it. If you can't figure out how to do so, then perhaps you should just keep your opinions to yourselves. And please be civil to other posters.

Thank you.

Last edited:

sullyinMT

I think the education part is a large factor in the US, but people here get very sensitive when you bring that up.
I’ve been vocal in defending the people as fellow human beings, but there’s no denying that lack of education hurts communities, families, and individuals disproportionately perhaps more than any other status. Lack of education, and what has come along with it - a distrust in the “educated elite,” has caused more harm through this than anything. Some of that from even middle/high school level in the ability to comprehend what one is reading. Some of it from elementary school in the ability to be civil towards our neighbors. It’s not all rooted in a lack of higher education.

I’m fortunate to be a first generation college graduate, but with family who values that education and trusts my opinion and that of my (more qualified) wife. Beyond one cousin, they’ve all trusted the few of us who rose up and out of our Hillbilly Elegy-esque life and taken the vaccine. Perhaps because of my personal experience, I was overly optimistic in the way rural America would behave in the wake of vaccine authorization and approval. Uneducated, sure, but usually the people so often berated early on really will do anything for a neighbor in need.

While I defended them early on and mostly still will, I’m truly shocked and angry at rural Americans for not following through and helping their fellow man and nation yet again in this simple step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom