Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt9112

Oh, I'm sorry, I guess you don't read your own posts...

Uhhhh still true? Unless all the new yorkers that live down here for example are fake? Population has grown granted it has slowed down. Other states are growing much faster from a percentage stand point. I was simply poonting out that the economic bloodbath that is NYC will be harder to replace than people think.

matt9112

These governors think they are propping up the economy and fighting for individual rights, yet by their actions they are prolonging the pandemic and preventing the economy from recovering. Just look at the recent extremely low crowds at WDW.

Than why are the same type of covid problems occuring in places that had far stricter lock downs and rules. The north east is reversing course and reinstating mandates.

Lilofan

What about if it was required to watch a game in the stadium? Would that move the needle?

Btw, 'Bama fans have always impressed this Yankee. They don't seem arrogant or particularly hostile to other schools (perhaps Auburn being an exception). OSU fans could learn a lesson...
'Bama is promoting " Protect our Herd " as a promotion to get more university students vaccinated. Students show proof of vaccination and they are entered to win the following prizes, - tickets to away football games including the Atlanta game against the Canes, several $1K scholarships , all access on campus parking passes, or lunch with a 'Bama VP who was a player on the 92' National Championship football team. Also the University doubled their incentive to get more students vaccinated with each earning $40 in 'Bama cash to spend on campus.

Last edited:

LAM378

Than why are the same type of covid problems occuring in places that had far stricter lock downs and rules. The north east is reversing course and reinstating mandates.
You’ve got people in every state that refuse to get vaccinated and/or wear masks, and Delta is ripping through children and younger people more than Alpha ever did. I don’t think the Northeast is reversing course so much as altering the course. I don’t doubt the Northeast will have a spike soon, but it won’t be the complete mess Florida and Louisiana and Texas are right now.

seascape

Tipping is always a difficult issue. I normally tip 20% of a bill that has no alcohol drinks on the bill. However, if we have alcohol at Disney, it is insane to tip 20% on something that is way overpriced, so I tip 15%. It is no more work for the waiter to bring a mixed drink than an ice tea.

Patcheslee

Hell, it would make it clearer to all domestic visitors as well, especially if they told you how much you'd be charged!

The sales tax situation is crazy in the US. Food at the grocery is taxed in some areas, others it isn't. When it is, the tax is usually less than non-food items, but not always. Then there is the state sales tax, county sales tax, city sales tax -- not all are charged in all places and some cities run together with odd borders, so it is a guessing game as to which tax(es) you'll be charged on any given transaction. When I lived in Indiana it was a flat 5% sales tax everywhere and that was it, with no tax on groceries. Now I think the state sales tax is 7% and there are all kinds of local taxes added in. It is impossible to keep up with it all.

I think stores show prices before tax so they can look like their goods cost the same as the store down the road or in the next city. If they had to add the tax in for the items, people would quickly realize which areas had the higher sales taxes and stop buying at those stores.
I guess at least we don't have to deal with the additional unhealthy foods taxes I guess. My county doesn't have a sales tax on food.
There's a restaurant in Bloomington that announced they are going to no-tip service and employees will start at $15/hr.

JBIRDTO

The servers told me Canadians generally did not tip. Personally I do not know what is customary in Canada. If tippingbis normal up there then not sure why he felt the way he did ( Many years ago). Perhaps he conflated the two countries.

Now Australia I know from personal experience was tipping not expected.
Perhaps he was confused. It is very customary to do 15% or 20%. Some do it on top of tax and alcohol.

mmascari

Than why are the same type of covid problems occuring in places that had far stricter lock downs and rules.
Do you have an example of someplace having the same type of problem as FL or TX?

The north east is reversing course and reinstating mandates.
When there's an increase in cases, there's health measures taken to slow and reverse it. That seems very straight forward. Mitigation measures change based on current conditions. Ideally, before conditions get so bad that it's harder to impact change.

DisneyCane

You’ve got people in every state that refuse to get vaccinated and/or wear masks, and Delta is ripping through children and younger people more than Alpha ever did. I don’t think the Northeast is reversing course so much as altering the course. I don’t doubt the Northeast will have a spike soon, but it won’t be the complete mess Florida and Louisiana and Texas are right now.
I hope you are right about the northeast spike not being as bad as FL, LA and TX but I wouldn't bet on it. Last winter, when the northeast states were "doing everything right" and FL was "trying to kill people" they were both similar. The vaccination rates aren't really that much higher in most of the northeast states than FL. It's less than 10% more in most cases.

correcaminos

What about if it was required to watch a game in the stadium? Would that move the needle?

Btw, 'Bama fans have always impressed this Yankee. They don't seem arrogant or particularly hostile to other schools (perhaps Auburn being an exception). OSU fans could learn a lesson...
Boy did those 'Bama fans snow you - probably becaue you weren't wearing a big name shirt LOL Truly consistently some of the worst ranked fans are 'Bama sadly, along with Ohio State, Oklahoma, Michigan, USC, LSU, Miami, Texas Tech, Auburn - lots of big name schools are all up there. I have a collection of OSU shirts because I live a few miles from Ohio State and I cannot tolerate wearing my shirts in public on home weekends with other fans from all schools I think it's a weird culture I cannot support no matter who it is now. I think ESPN has helped create a nasty environment that seriously didn't exist when I was in college. The O-H I-O thing in public is obnxious and we get it all the time in when we travel since my spouse always wears hats on vacation (most are OSU or Washington Nationals), but other than UofM, no average fans really care about others, but really how we've done college football is disgusting anyway. Which truly is why I no longer watch. The arrogance of certain divisions really causes animosity that is childish. I actually refuse to talk sports with my 'Bama, OSU, and other big name school friends around this time of year. Even my Maryland friends are weird about sports. I'd rather watch something in the arts as it is ;)

Truly I think most fans are really awesome most of the time no matter where you go. There have been incidents with some schools but as a whole most people are good. We just see the bad like we do in most things in life. And yes, I'm an OSU fan as a whole, but I call them out when they do crap.

Mandating vaccines as soon as they could (gov made it impossible prior to BLA ) was a good call given the pure size of Ohio State. Being one of the top 5 in size in the nation, that's like 60K people right there. Though prior they said about 75% or so were already vaccinated.

'Bama is promoting " Protect our Herd " as a promotion to get more university students vaccinated. Students show proof of vaccination and they are entered to win the following prizes, - tickets to away football games including the Atlanta game against the Canes, several $1K scholarships , all access on campus parking passes, or lunch with a 'Bama VP who was a player on the 92' National Championship football team. Also the University doubled their incentive to get more students vaccinated with each earning $40 in 'Bama cash to spend on campus.
Why not just mandate it like other schools are?

Heppenheimer

Um.... thanks? While I am done with pro--- err still college football, I'm still an OSU fan for other sports. Not all of us are jerks. I've stopped watching and caring about football when it showed me how it's all about money and not about the kids. Some of my biggest jerks to me are Bama fans I meet here. Though one year at Penn State when I was watching was flat out horrible. So I think we all have issues with this college, but treat them as pro, fans. I think it's all disgusting TBH and why I'm beyond over college football. ESPN spoiled it for all and their stupid biases really created nastiness that didn't occur before.

Some of our fans suck, I just hate doing "these fans are nasty" and mak it like we all suck. Sorry. Oddly if you look up who many say are worst Bama comes tops with OSU not far behind. LSU, Auburn, USC, Clemson...I think all big universities have egos and can help create some bad fans. But most schools usually have great fans! Just the vocal minority often make it look bad.

Why not just mandate it like other schools are?
Probably the absolute worst I've seen for any fans, though, are OSU. There seems be both a sort of persecution complex and an almost fascist hatred of the perceived "other". I could give several examples, but here's one in particularly bad taste. I was once at a wedding in the Columbus area for a couple that attended a different university (not Michigan or any other school in the same athletic conference, so not an established rival). As a tribute, the DJ played their school's fight song. Well, this was obviously too much an affront to OSU, because several of the OSU grads in attendance started booing and singing their own school's fight song as loud as possibly. Really? You couldn't let the couple, whose WEDDING YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE CELEBRATING, have at least one brief moment of school pride, Buckeye fans? Is the mere acknowledgement of another university too much bear?

I haven't found Penn State fans to be particularly nasty, but they do have this sort of weird almost religious cult surrounding their team. As a non-fan who grew up in Pennsylvania, I always found the deification of Joe Paterno a little... well, both a bit hard to understand and kind of distasteful.

My only real experience with 'Bama fans was during an 8 week period I spent at Fort Rucker that happened to coincide with football season. I'm not a fan of any particular school (my negative university experience soured me on the team) , so when I found myself surrounded by Tide fans at restaurants during game time, for example, I didn't detect any hostility. Most appeared friendly and open to sharing the passion for their team. I never got the impression that I accidently walked into the hostile territory of a rival gang. Maybe if I had worn clothes that could have been interpreted as supporting Auburn, the response would have been different...

And now, back to COVID-19...

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Probably the absolute worst I've seen for any fans, though, are OSU. There seems be both a sort of persecution complex and an almost fascist hatred of the perceived "other". I could give several examples, but here's one in particularly bad taste. I was once at a wedding in the Columbus area for a couple that attended a different university (not Michigan or any other school in the same athletic conference, so not an established rival). As a tribute, the DJ played their school's fight song. Well, this was obviously too much an affront to OSU, because several of the OSU grads in attendance started booing and singing their own school's fight song as loud as possibly. Really? You couldn't let the couple, whose WEDDING YOU WERE ATTENDING, have at least one brief moment of school pride, Buckeye fans? Is the mere acknowledgement of another university too much bear?

I haven't found Penn State fans to be particularly nasty, but they do have this sort of weird almost religious cult surrounding their team. As a non-fan who grew up in Pennsylvania, I always found the deification of Joe Paterno a little... well, a bit hard to understand.

My only real experience with 'Bama fans was during an 8 week period I spent at Fort Rucker that happened to coincide with football season. I'm not a fan of any particular school (my negative university experience soured me on the team) , so when I found myself surrounded by Tide fans at restaurants during game time, for example, I didn't detect any hostility. Most appeared friendly. Maybe if I had worn clothes that could have been interpreted as supporting Auburn, the response would have been different...
Agree with you 100% on the OSU fans. I've been to many places as a visiting fan (Miami if you can't tell by my screen name). The worst treatment, by far, I've ever received was in Columbus. People were shouting obscene things from over a block away on the other side of the street out of windows and balconies. It's like they were using binoculars to spot visiting fans.

Best fans I've experienced were at Texas A&M. Extremely polite and friendly and were all about everybody having a good time and enjoying the game.

correcaminos

Probably the absolute worst I've seen for any fans, though, are OSU. There seems be both a sort of persecution complex and an almost fascist hatred of the perceived "other". I could give several examples, but here's one in particularly bad taste. I was once at a wedding in the Columbus area for a couple that attended a different university (not Michigan or any other school in the same athletic conference, so not an established rival). As a tribute, the DJ played their school's fight song. Well, this was obviously too much an affront to OSU, because several of the OSU grads in attendance started booing and singing their own school's fight song as loud as possibly. Really? You couldn't let the couple, whose WEDDING YOU WERE ATTENDING, have at least one brief moment of school pride, Buckeye fans? Is the mere acknowledgement of another university too much bear?

I haven't found Penn State fans to be particularly nasty, but they do have this sort of weird almost religious cult surrounding their team. As a non-fan who grew up in Pennsylvania, I always found the deification of Joe Paterno a little... well, a bit hard to understand.

My only real experience with 'Bama fans was during an 8 week period I spent at Fort Rucker that happened to coincide with football season. I'm not a fan of any particular school (my negative university experience soured me on the team) , so when I found myself surrounded by Tide fans at restaurants during game time, for example, I didn't detect any hostility. Most appeared friendly. Maybe if I had worn clothes that could have been interpreted as supporting Auburn, the response would have been different...
I did remove to reedit my post ;) however I find the worst behaved people are drunken fans who have no connections to the school. I think that was awful unless it was an inside joke.

This is the Penn State story I am speaking of. Even 10 years prior, I dont' recall ever hearing nasty stories like this.

OSU Band Targeted by Penn State Fans
Fans Threaten OSU Band

Penn State University is apologizing for some conduct which took place off the field and before Saturday night’s game in State College.

It appears the Ohio State University Marching Band was the target of unsportsmanlike behavior at the hands of some Nittany Lions fans.

Neither school is happy about what happened in Happy Valley.

With nearly 110,000 people attending the game, Penn State officials say it is possible there were "a couple jerks" among the fans.

OSU graduate Evan Mohr says it was much more than that.

"The threat of physical violence, people standing on hood of my car, mud balls being thrown," Mohr said of the environment before the game.

OSU band director Dr. Jon Woods says the band’s march towards the stadium got physical.

"I saw a fan pushing their way into the ranks of the band, which is frightening,†Dr. Woods said.

His feelings are echoed all across online message boards where Buckeyes say attending Saturday’s game was the worst experience they ever had.

One Ohio State band member posted a message saying someone urinated into a bottle and threw the bottle at the band. That is in addition to grabbing, punching, and yelling of profanities the band endured.

Dr. Woods says the conduct definitely crossed the line.

"This was without a doubt the most hostile environment that I've ever experienced at a college football game,†the 21-year veteran director told 10TV.

An unofficial website for Penn State shows Lions fans saying they're downright embarrassed by the behavior of fellow fans.

Buckeye fans across the country say they should be.

“One Penn State guy just grabbed another guy and threw him up against the car for no reason,†Ohio State fan Matt Snezik said.

OSU's Marching band received a letter of apology Monday from Penn State's president and the school’s band director.

Some Penn State fans are blaming the late-night kickoff for the excessive behavior, saying it gave people more time to get drunk.

Heppenheimer

I did remove to reedit my post ;) however I find the worst behaved people are drunken fans who have no connections to the school. I think that was awful unless it was an inside joke.

This is the Penn State story I am speaking of. Even 10 years prior, I dont' recall ever hearing nasty stories like this.

OSU Band Targeted by Penn State Fans
Fans Threaten OSU Band

Penn State University is apologizing for some conduct which took place off the field and before Saturday night’s game in State College.

It appears the Ohio State University Marching Band was the target of unsportsmanlike behavior at the hands of some Nittany Lions fans.

Neither school is happy about what happened in Happy Valley.

With nearly 110,000 people attending the game, Penn State officials say it is possible there were "a couple jerks" among the fans.

OSU graduate Evan Mohr says it was much more than that.

"The threat of physical violence, people standing on hood of my car, mud balls being thrown," Mohr said of the environment before the game.

OSU band director Dr. Jon Woods says the band’s march towards the stadium got physical.

"I saw a fan pushing their way into the ranks of the band, which is frightening,†Dr. Woods said.

His feelings are echoed all across online message boards where Buckeyes say attending Saturday’s game was the worst experience they ever had.

One Ohio State band member posted a message saying someone urinated into a bottle and threw the bottle at the band. That is in addition to grabbing, punching, and yelling of profanities the band endured.

Dr. Woods says the conduct definitely crossed the line.

"This was without a doubt the most hostile environment that I've ever experienced at a college football game,†the 21-year veteran director told 10TV.

An unofficial website for Penn State shows Lions fans saying they're downright embarrassed by the behavior of fellow fans.

Buckeye fans across the country say they should be.

“One Penn State guy just grabbed another guy and threw him up against the car for no reason,†Ohio State fan Matt Snezik said.

OSU's Marching band received a letter of apology Monday from Penn State's president and the school’s band director.

Some Penn State fans are blaming the late-night kickoff for the excessive behavior, saying it gave people more time to get drunk.
Funny, I know of another school whose band was attacked when visiting OSU...

I'm not bashing the school, just the quasi-fascist attitude of some of the fans, which I really haven't seen to taken to a similar extreme with any other schools. It almost reminds me of English football hooliganism.

DisneyCane

Back on topic, how are Disney and other employers who are requiring vaccination going to handle the new booster guidance? I believe they all require the employees to be "fully vaccinated" but after a period of time I guess you are no longer fully vaccinated.

With hospitals that require yearly flu shots, it easy to track because everybody needs to get the shot and show proof in a given time frame. With the COVID vaccine, everybody is on different schedules. Are they actually going to track each employee individually based on when they should get the 3rd (and possibly 4th, 5th, 6th...100th) shot?

Prior to the booster scuttlebutt, it was a simple question of is the employee fully vaccinated or not by the deadline date.

Polkadotdress

Do you have an example of someplace having the same type of problem as FL or TX?
I'll jump in on that too. Florida, which is home to roughly 6.5% of the nation's population, has about 17% of US Covid-19 hospitalizations. What other state is at or near those levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom