Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Will we hear from DCL today?

Royal Caribbean has already announced they will require all cruise ship passengers 12 and older to be fully vaccinated to comply with Bahamas policy -

"For cruises departing from any U.S. port and visiting The Bahamas on and after Sept. 3, guests who are 12 and older must provide proof of vaccination in order to sail. This also applies to itineraries that include Perfect Day at CocoCay.

Travelers unable to show proof of vaccination will be unable to sail.

Those of our guests under 12, who are currently ineligible for the vaccine, can still cruise with us as long as they continue to provide a negative test result at boarding and follow certain health and safety protocols.

In a statement, the cruise line said it was committed to complying with regulations, "Royal Caribbean’s top priority is maintaining everyone’s well-being while complying with federal, state and local laws as we always have. We will continue to evaluate and update our health and safety measures as circumstances evolve."

The new policy change applies to cruises out of Florida, as other departure ports have required passengers at least 12 years old to be fully vaccinated since August 1."

I'm waiting for the response from Florida's governor. This should be interesting. 🍿

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Have you noticed Disney being a bit slow to respond to these sorts of things? They used to lead with their response before other cruise lines.. parks..etc. Now it seems they take the back burner approach.. see what others are doing the join in. Am I wrong? Could be that I am.Maybe they are just to busy seeing how they can get more money from rides and stuff. To soon?
They're still leading the way with indoor masking, as they remain the only central Florida park that requires it, so...

Club34

This is a legitimate concern, but it has an easy answer. The longest latency for any side effect in the history of vaccines is about 6 weeks for a few outlier cases of Guillan-Barre syndrome. All other known side effects occur within minutes to days. There simply isn't a viable biochemical mechanism that would allow the small amount of material injected in a vaccine to suddenly cause medical problems to surface months or years later. The actual material of the vaccine components gets quickly broken down into basic chemical building blocks that are indistinguishable from the generalized biochemical soup that bathes every cell of the human body. Even the spike proteins the mRNA encodes get quickly chewed up into smaller fragments and then completely broken down into the constituent amino acid residues, after the macrophages have presented them to the developing lymphocytic stem cells. The only lasting impacts of any vaccine are the reserve armies of B and T cells the immunization process recruits. If these cells don't cause an autoimmune reaction within weeks, they never will.

This "we don't know the long-term side effects" concern is a canard that the anti-vaxxers have cleverly planted via social media. We have zero reason to believe the vaccines will cause new problems years down the line by the same logic we expect the sun to rise in the east every day... it always has and there is a valid scientific mechanism to explain that observation.

You are very wise. Perhaps if you are not busy 🙂 , you can help this walking paperweight make sense of this...

Because this article appears to be at the crux of the controversy of the "science" based "concern" about the vaccine in many of the seemingly "reasonable" concerns about the vaccine. It is this "triggering" effect that is referenced in the article.

Now, what is interesting to me among all the pushbacks, retorts around the internet, fact-checking (I'm thinking Politifact specifically but there are likely many others), I did not find a push back or debunking of this which is a surprise since this is at the center of many of the arguments of those "big" names that have questioned the vaccine in at least a quasi-science kinda way. And I am not sure that this even says what it appears to say. But you seem to have "another level" grasp of this type of subject matter. It is not a long article but it would be reassuring that this is "nothing". Because despite the concerted effort to discredit many of those talking heads raising concerns this article or the material therein was never addressed in any of the countless thorough "take-downs". Does this mean it wasn't worth the time to do so or is it because there might be something there? I don't know.

So specifically, my question would be this- does the spike protein in the manner in which the scientists did their research in this article bear any resemblance to the spike protein that is in the vaccine. Further and related to the information that you posted above, tell me about the "time" factor in which you note that the materials are essentially dissipated into meaningless particles after a certain interval. The researchers in the article seem to reference time as well but, again, it was way over my head. This also relates to the vaccine or related "material" within the vaccine not staying in the injection site. I have heard conflicting stories- it does stay in the site, it doesn't stay in the site, it doesn't matter if it stays, etc.

This is about making sense of all this vaccine/pandemic stuff, not to be the next Alex Jones (I know you know that but I am saying it for those who don't know me).

GimpYancIent

Stop finger scanning when covid happens. Re-open it when it's at it's worst. Gotta love the logic!

It was nice not getting stuck behind people that didn't know how to use it.
Could that be a reason Typhoon Lagoon is not operation? Due to COVID they are confused how to get around using the finger scan?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Stop finger scanning when covid happens. Re-open it when it's at it's worst. Gotta love the logic!

It was nice not getting stuck behind people that didn't know how to use it.
Multiple peer reviewed studies determined that that kind of transmission was almost non-existent. Some even went to the extent of calling those measures “hygiene theater” (much like wiping down groceries).

I hated the finger scans because I found them to be woefully inefficient and just slowed down the line. Had nothing to do with covid.

VelocityRaptor

I always laughed when they had these off. Too dangerous to put your finger on the touch point where multiple people have touched, but once inside the park you can touch every railing, table, chair, ride vehicle etc etc with no issue. They could have placed hand sanitizer dispensers right after and there would of been no issue

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I am not a germaphobe... I am more of an ickaphobe. Touch something sticky - ewww ick! Sometimes those things are full of sweaty hand residue. I really wish they'd lose them or get something better. They slow things down so darn much.

Not even covid related LOL.
face scanner still testing? Lol

correcaminos

face scanner still testing? Lol
I know right? I'd totally do that but I think that's gone.

It's not the end of the world for me honestly, I can always just show ID if it bugs me again that much. Just a weird quirk of mine that is fixable with a hand wash or something. Might sound weird but sanitizers don't fix it for me, I want to wash it off. Yep, I'm a weirdo.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

Looks like the ferris wheel will be not be longer as it will be removed in 29 days only. I wish they will keep Ferris wheel forever in Times Square.

Kevin_W

I am not a germaphobe... I am more of an ickaphobe. Touch something sticky - ewww ick! Sometimes those things are full of sweaty hand residue. I really wish they'd lose them or get something better. They slow things down so darn much.

Not even covid related LOL.

I never found them to be that gross, and I greatly preferred the current entry/exit to the old turnstyles. It shouldn't be a big deal, but just walking out of the park at the end of the day without having to go through a turnstyle was immensely pleasing to me.

Over the years, we have had the occasional finger won't scan or behind someone in the same boat, but that's been pretty rare and probably added at most a minute to our day (though it feels long int he moment).

Heppenheimer

You are very wise. Perhaps if you are not busy 🙂 , you can help this walking paperweight make sense of this...

Because this article appears to be at the crux of the controversy of the "science" based "concern" about the vaccine in many of the seemingly "reasonable" concerns about the vaccine. It is this "triggering" effect that is referenced in the article.

Now, what is interesting to me among all the pushbacks, retorts around the internet, fact-checking (I'm thinking Politifact specifically but there are likely many others), I did not find a push back or debunking of this which is a surprise since this is at the center of many of the arguments of those "big" names that have questioned the vaccine in at least a quasi-science kinda way. And I am not sure that this even says what it appears to say. But you seem to have "another level" grasp of this type of subject matter. It is not a long article but it would be reassuring that this is "nothing". Because despite the concerted effort to discredit many of those talking heads raising concerns this article or the material therein was never addressed in any of the countless thorough "take-downs". Does this mean it wasn't worth the time to do so or is it because there might be something there? I don't know.

So specifically, my question would be this- does the spike protein in the manner in which the scientists did their research in this article bear any resemblance to the spike protein that is in the vaccine. Further and related to the information that you posted above, tell me about the "time" factor in which you note that the materials are essentially dissipated into meaningless particles after a certain interval. The researchers in the article seem to reference time as well but, again, it was way over my head. This also relates to the vaccine or related "material" within the vaccine not staying in the injection site. I have heard conflicting stories- it does stay in the site, it doesn't stay in the site, it doesn't matter if it stays, etc.

This is about making sense of all this vaccine/pandemic stuff, not to be the next Alex Jones (I know you know that but I am saying it for those who don't know me).
OK, so a lot of information to go over here, and to adequately explain things, we need to take kind of a deep dive into biochemistry and immunology. Like a lot of things in medicine, you can't give a quick answer without an understanding of some of the underlying concepts.

First of all, we need a solid definition of what constitutes a "protein" and what makes one protein different from another. Ask someone on the street, and to the question of "What is a protein?", they might reply "It's something we eat", which although true, is not a particularly useful answer. So, here we go... proteins are large biochemical molecules made up of long chains of amino acids. Almost every protein in every living organism is made of just 20 different amino acids. The genetic code (DNA and RNA) specifies the exact amino acid sequence in every protein. The primary sequence of the amino acids determines the how the chain folds over on itself, and this three dimensional folding is what gives each protein its unique chemical and physical properties. The average protein contains a chain of about 500 amino acids, so given 20 potential different building blocks that can be used for each link in the chain, the sheer raw number of possible unique configurations of just an average sized protein is an almost unfathomably large number. Kind of like a box of Legos contains a limited amount of different sized pieces, but there's an almost infinite number of ways they can be put together.

In addition to the primary sequence, the 3 dimensional shape, and therefore, the way a protein functions is influenced by its immediate environment: the temperature, the electrical charges of other molecules in the vicinity, the chemical composition of the environment, including the pH, concentrations gradients, etc. Every protein has a range of all of these parameters where it functions optimally. Take it outside those parameters, and the 3 dimensional folding will alter, thus stopping the protein from its primary function or even damaging it. Some proteins function in the unique environment inside particular cells, some on the surface, and a few, like antibodies, insulin, and clotting factors, to name just some examples, maintain their optimal configuration flowing through the blood.

In every organism with an immune system, all proteins contain a semi-unique residue of protein and carbohydrates that serves as a marker of "self", so that the surveillance systems of the immune system don't set off the alarms and attack that particular organism. In humans, this is known as the "human leukocyte antigen", or, HLA. Any protein (and some large non-protein molecules) that don't express that organisms particular HLA sequence sets off the alarms as "foreign", and generally gets picked up and degraded. Obviously, this system doesn't work perfectly, or we wouldn't have autoimmune diseases.

Now, to answer your question about the spike proteins in this study, and the spike proteins in the vaccine. Other than some minor but crucial amino acid changes amongst the variants, they are functionally the same. But is this relevant? Almost certainly not.

First of all, the study you posted was an in vitro study, which is relevant to the specific question the researchers were trying to answer, but much less relevant to the vaccines. What they found in the study was that the mere presence of the spike protein binding to the ACE receptors of the lung was sufficient to cause a short activation of the complement system, even without the viral genetic material being injected into the target cells. Complement in this context is a localized chemical response that cells give off when infected with a virus, that gets amplified by the surrounding cells and summons the specialized immune cells (macrophages, neutrophils, T lymphocytes) to the area. I think the key here is that the spike protein alone caused a relatively brief pro-inflammatory response. This was somewhat of an unexpected finding. In the context of an active infection, where the lung endothelium gets constantly bombarded with viral particles (and by extension, the spike proteins on the surface), this may be significant. If these results held in vivo, that would mean that spike proteins are effectively a "force multiplier" (in army-speak), because they add an additional factor that provokes more inflammation.

Now, back to proteins a bit, specifically the spike protein generated from the mRNA vaccines. The mRNA code is injected directly into the muscle tissue, where the lipid coating allows it to be inserted into the cytoplasm of the cells. This is where the mRNA uses the cells' own protein producing factories (ribosomes) to assemble individual amino acids into the correct chain sequence that makes the spike protein. The spike then gets exported to the cell surface, where, because it lacks the host HLA signal, sets off the immune cascade that brings in the macrophages. These large amoeba-like cells then "eat" the spike proteins, and while internalized, break them down into large fragments. These fragments, although they still contain sequences that are unique enough to be recognized as parts of the spike protein, are no longer functional. They have lost their unique 3-D configuration. Once the macrophages have traveled to the lymphocyte stem cells, they present these fragments to one stem cell at a time, until they find one that makes antibodies that can bind tightly to the spike protein fragments. This lucky cell then gets to multiply and forms the reserve army of B or T cells selected to recognize and attack the spike protein if it ever shows up again. At this point, the macrophage then completely degrades what is left of the spike protein fragments down into the raw amino acids, which can be recycled into something completely new. To use a Lego analogy, this would be like building a little Lego house, then breaking it down into large pieces. These fragments are still recognizable as parts of the house, although they no longer function by themselves as a house. And then, the house pieces are completely taken apart again down into the individual Lego bricks. Nothing remains that makes the pile of Lego bricks recognizable as the house they once formed.

OK, so where am I going with all of this...

1) To do the damage in the lungs, the intact, functioning spike protein actually needs to be in the lungs. The vaccine material is injected directly into the muscle tissue, with minimal penetration into the blood stream, and even here, whatever vaccine material enters the circulatory system only contains the instructions for the spike protein, not the spike protein itself.

2) Once the muscle cells express the spike protein, it gets pretty quickly gobbled up (as does any material the body recognizes as "foreign") by the afore-mentioned macrophages. Even if any spike protein did slip into the blood, the different chemical environment of the blood vs. the interstitial fluid that surrounds the muscle cells would change its configuration. And the immune surveillance system in the blood is about a million times more sensitive than outside the bloodstream. Anything recognized as foreign here gets almost immediately bound up and eliminated, unless there's just so much of it being continually produced that it overwhelms the immune response. So, I seriously doubt any significant amount of vaccine-induced spike protein will be able to migrate to the lungs. The half-life of the actual correctly configured spike protein from the vaccine is relatively brief in vivo. The enduring effect is not from the spike protein itself, but from the B and T cells that are recruited to recognize and fight it.

3) There is no evidence, after hundreds of millions of doses given, that people have suffered any lung damage from vaccination (barring perhaps some exceedingly rare allergic reactions).

4) Lung tissue actually recovers from injury quite well, unless you subject the lungs to almost constant bombardment from smoke, debris, or a raging infection. To give an example, even heavy smokers, who coat their lungs with multiple times daily with all kinds of harmful combustion residue, need to maintain their habit for years or even decades before we start seeing severe reductions in their pulmonary function testing. I can not possibly imagine that even if a tiny fraction of intact and functional vaccine-induced spike protein made it briefly to the lungs that it could do any lasting damage compared to the junk that most humans inhale (purposefully or by accident) on a daily basis.

(EDITED for clarity since my initial post)

Summary coming...

To be continued with a summary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom