Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Funny you should mention driving because like a lot of things the government is attempting to mitigate the virus just the go every thing else. If the virus was drunk driving they are are attempting to solve it by pulling over the sober drivers.
Did you ever drive through a DUI checkpoint? The vast majority of people who do are not drunk. It happens all the time that someone who isn’t drunk is inconvenienced in an attempt to eliminate drunk drivers.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Did you ever drive through a DUI checkpoint? The vast majority of people who do are not drunk. It happens all the time that someone who isn’t drunk is inconvenienced in an attempt to eliminate drunk drivers.
One time in Canada, I got stopped at a checkpoint coming off the highway. I had to do the breathalyzer thing. Blew 0. Probably shouldn't have told him I had one beer earlier. It was the truth but everyone says that, lol. He probably thought, "one beer, yah sure."

James J

In the Parks
No
That’s because there is no source on it. We had one slightl rise in reported figs yesterday (always going to happen) and even then if you look at specimen date they are basically flat - even if as I suspect they’ll gently rise again they’re not going to get to 100,000 any time soon

Yeah agreed - I accept I was wrong when I was concerned about some case rises at the start of last week :)

correcaminos

Moderna’s Q2 presentation
Looks like Moderna covid vaccine effectiveness is only dropping 1% per month vs Pfizer 3% per month.( Slide 25 ) from Phase 3 trial 6 month results ( note predelta data)

But they do expect the need fir a booster before winter:

Oh, in a related matter concerning boosters, the WHO wants the first world countries to forgo boosters until the rest of the world gets vaccinated.

This is a horrible mix to be fair - even in the US we'll likely never get vaccinated enough to allow for boosters. I do think we need to send our AZ/Oxford out to the world. Try to do as much as we can with J&J as well (since they have the least stringent storage requirements) at least.

If boosters are required, I'll be interested to see how the trial handles it if the WHO doesn't want us to do boosters. The trial promised a shot to all if needed. Will be interesting to see.
Seeing that the vaccine outcome has devolved from preventing infection to mitigating fatal outcome. Covid is here forever.
Sometimes knowing your audience matters. Also if the virus burns through enough without mutating enough eventually it will not have hosts to latch on so who knows... but globally is a bigger issue long term. We need to work on that.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Well yeah, if people actually cared about others and tried to mitigate better, we wouldn't have a death toll so high. You might think this is some sort of whataboutism or deflection but really you proved a point. We're full of selfish people here...
A lot of people did care, I would say the majority...so maybe, "if more people actually cared..."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What's the source of this? I haven't seen anything where scientists are still predicting that 100,000 cases will be a thing soon. The only articles I can find are from the beginning of July, so are almost a month old.

If you want to be right about everything, you need to at least back it up with actual facts and proof.
Donnie believes he is an all seeing oracle. He predicts numerous overly negative things and then when one or 2 come close to being true he takes his victory lap and says I told you so. So he is completely ignoring the fact that he predicted the UK would hit 100,000 cases by middle of July and that the US was 2 weeks behind so would be at 500,000 cases by end of July. He’s hoping the UK numbers go up again so he can be “right” again in some online argument. Truly sad that people live this way.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd rather get the vaccine than wear masks full time.
Me too. I did and did stop wearing a mask most places for a little while. Too bad not enough people got vaccinated and we are all back to masks now. Unlike some others I’m not having a hissy fit and blaming the government and attempting to discredit the effectiveness of masks. Despite not wanting to have to do it I wear my mask again and hope for more people to make the right call and get vaccinated to end this thing for real.

draybook

Well yeah, if people actually cared about others and tried to mitigate better, we wouldn't have a death toll so high. You might think this is some sort of whataboutism or deflection but really you proved a point. We're full of selfish people here...

Actually, I'm asking questions. I don't know what state you're in, but in MS, we had a full lockdown, and masks were required everywhere. Covid wasn't in the rearview.

And some of you can stop bellyaching, I just scheduled my shot for Saturday morning. I'll no longer be a mass murderer...

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Me too. I did and did stop wearing a mask most places for a little while. Too bad not enough people got vaccinated and we are all back to masks now. Unlike some others I’m not having a hissy fit and blaming the government and attempting to discredit the effectiveness of masks. Despite not wanting to have to do it I wear my mask again and hope for more people to make the right call and get vaccinated to end this thing for real.
I hope NJ and NYC will stop using masks at all as more people are vaccinated by Fall.

correcaminos

Actually, I'm asking questions. I don't know what state you're in, but in MS, we had a full lockdown, and masks were required everywhere. Covid wasn't in the rearview.

And some of you can stop bellyaching, I just scheduled my shot for Saturday morning. I'll no longer be a mass murderer...
Full lock down? I didn't realize anyone did that here. Even in NYC where my company is based, my boss could go in, but it was dicey. For Ohio (me) we had schools closed, essentials only. But we were still able to get out.

Honestly thank you for getting your shot. I never looked at anyone who didn't as a mass murderer. It's just something for the common good is all. Nothing more, nothing less. I do thank you incredibly for doing so. You'll now be super immune too which is good for you too ;)

correcaminos

I'm still mixed. Going to get ice cream where we would eat immediately, I did not. I have to go to the post office today. I probably will there ;) Last night I was at the school and while we are not mandated I am going to be a major player in the fall production as a parent and our district highly encourages using them. So as a sign of solidarity we did. We have no clue what the production will be like, so I have 400 masks I bought just in case. May or may not be enough.

Not having a hissy fit to be true. I don't like them so when I go into do solo volunteer work when hardly a soul is around, it would be hard-pressed to find me wearing ;)

Disney Experience

This is a horrible mix to be fair - even in the US we'll likely never get vaccinated enough to allow for boosters. I do think we need to send our AZ/Oxford out to the world. Try to do as much as we can with J&J as well (since they have the least stringent storage requirements) at least.

If boosters are required, I'll be interested to see how the trial handles it if the WHO doesn't want us to do boosters. The trial promised a shot to all if needed. Will be interesting to see.

Sometimes knowing your audience matters. Also if the virus burns through enough without mutating enough eventually it will not have hosts to latch on so who knows... but globally is a bigger issue long term. We need to work on that.
If the results from both Pfizer and Moderna Phase 3 6 month trial review holds true in the larger population and with delta then Pfizer vaccinated population will need a booster three times sooner than Moderna vaccinated population.

Anecdotal , but my wife being Phase 3 trial Moderna and getting her final shot one month ( October ) after my Phase 3 trial Pfizer shots … combined with Moderna’s slower decline in effectiveness may be why in June she did not get covid and I did.

Patcheslee

If you work for Walmart, Google, Netflix, Disney or Tyson Foods and want to keep your job you will have to be vaccinated. Amazon, Apple, Uber , Lyft and the major banks and Wall Street firms are all reported to be considering further plans too. That‘s no straw man, just a fact of life for hundreds of thousands of workers and likely to be millions more soon. That’s the truth I like to hear and it certainly doesn’t hurt. :)
We have an all employee meeting tomorrow. One major thing we assume is everyone going back to being masked.
But at this point there are rumors or speculation about if the company plans to mandate vaccination as well now. Guess we'll find out, if so I'll update.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We have an all employee meeting tomorrow. One major thing we assume is everyone going back to being masked.
But at this point there are rumors or speculation about if the company plans to mandate vaccination as well now. Guess we'll find out, if so I'll update.
There is definitely some buzz around my company too. We are already back to masks for everyone. we shall see.

correcaminos

If the results from both Pfizer and Moderna Phase 3 6 month trial review holds true in the larger population and with delta then Pfizer vaccinated population will need a booster three times sooner than Moderna vaccinated population.

Anecdotal , but my wife being Phase 3 trial Moderna and getting her final shot one month ( October ) after my Phase 3 trial Pfizer shots … combined with Moderna’s slower decline in effectiveness may be why in June she did not get covid and I did.
I don't follow the 3x faster math of yours. But I suck at math.

Let's be real here too. Pfizer is more global and has been around longer and in more places with Delta running wild

I think also age and health has to go into mixes for certain things. If you are 55-60+ your immune system is different. I don't think it's as black and white as you are stating and I would be rather shocked if these two are really as you are saying with times. They are too close in technology to be that different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom