Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarWarsGirl

Considering how time consuming, exact, and thorough the ticket-buying process has become, it doesn’t seem this would be a huge difference. At the very least it should be possible with resort guest.

Disney spent billions on an annoying, largely pointless guest surveillance system. Let’s get some use out of it.
Except this would be punishing kids and people who legitimately can't get the vaccine as well. Kids aren't going to want to be tested every single day of their vacation or to be excluded from areas because they can't get the vaccine.

I'm all for encouraging people to get vaccinated, but let's not punish people who can't get it.

ABQ

WDW needs to follow the cruise lines example - either challenge the government head on or find ways around regulations. Force unvaxxed guests to show medical insurance, take daily tests, pay more across the board. Exclude them from certain rides and areas. WDWs mask mandate is better then Uni, but until they get serious about vax mandates or the equivalent on property, it’s still mostly theatre.
Why would WDW want to do this? You cannot equate the cruise clientele with the theme park clientele 1:1 . If WDW did this they would lose a large paying guest population. Again, I ask, why would they want to do this?

StarWarsGirl

Why would WDW want to do this? You cannot equate the cruise clientele with the theme park clientele 1:1 . If WDW did this they would lose a large paying guest population. Again, I ask, why would they want to do this?
Uh huh. Agreed.

I have a better idea:

Set up a vaccine station somewhere on property. Give out J&J vaccines. Provide some sort of perk for anyone who gets the vaccine (a $20 Disney gift card, a free t-shirt, a free pin, etc.)

aliceismad

Except this would be punishing kids and people who legitimately can't get the vaccine as well. Kids aren't going to want to be tested every single day of their vacation or to be excluded from areas because they can't get the vaccine.

I'm all for encouraging people to get vaccinated, but let's not punish people who can't get it.
Some international travel destinations, and cruises, are opting for testing at the beginning of a trip and at the end of the trip (although I believe the test at the end is required for re-entry to the U.S.).

I don't think it will happen, unless the kids are considered exempt - and if that's the case, does it even matter? There's so many kids under 12 at WDW.

Maybe it depends on whether kids are able to spread the delta variant as easily as adults.

aliceismad

Uh huh. Agreed.

I have a better idea:

Set up a vaccine station somewhere on property. Give out J&J vaccines. Provide some sort of perk for anyone who gets the vaccine (a $20 Disney gift card, a free t-shirt, a free pin, etc.)
Except no one wants to have covid vaccine side effects while on their trip.

Casper Gutman

I didn’t feel it was necessary to stipulate that I wasn’t talking about those who are too young or for other valid medical reasons can’t get the vaccine. That’s not really who we’re talking about, and for the most part that’s not who’s filling the hospitals.

Incentives - gift cards and the like - don’t work very well. What has been shown to work is the inability to do things like get on an airplane - or go to a theme park.
Getting strict on vax might alienate some WDW guests. But not doing so is going to alienate others - and that number will increase. And massive, raging outbreaks like the current one will also hurt WDWs pocket book. It needs to pick the least-bad option.

jpinkc

The person above was talking about testing everyone who isn't vaccinated every day of their vacation, including kids. That's extreme.
I am almost to the point of agreeing with them on it. The level of political stupidity that has infected what should be a Medical Issue is enough to make me want to cry or scream! Of course those with VALID medical issues should be exempted. Not just I am afraid of needles or mind control.....

jpinkc

Give one day's admission in trade for a vaccination. Doesn't need to be same day, just a voucher. If both WDW and Universal did that, they'd likely get many to partake. I know it's the same as the "100 dollar" offer, but it still would attract more, I bet.
Boy that would give the Wall Streeters a small Heart Attack, hmmmmm ya think it could work on Chapek........:D

StarWarsGirl

I didn’t feel it was necessary to stipulate that I wasn’t talking about those who are too young or for other valid medical reasons can’t get the vaccine. That’s not really who we’re talking about, and for the most part that’s not who’s filling the hospitals.

Incentives - gift cards and the like - don’t work very well. What has been shown to work is the inability to do things like get on an airplane - or go to a theme park.
Getting strict on vax might alienate some WDW guests. But not doing so is going to alienate others - and that number will increase. And massive, raging outbreaks like the current one will also hurt WDWs pocket book. It needs to pick the least-bad option.
When I specifically asked you if this includes kids, you said yes. Broadwsy's policy of kids coming to the theater means they must show a negative covid test if they're too young to be vaccinated, as does the cruise line industry's policy I believe. One test is reasonable. You can't possibly think testing everyday is reasonable. They don't even do that in medical care facilities.

Casper Gutman

Give one day's admission in trade for a vaccination. Doesn't need to be same day, just a voucher. If both WDW and Universal did that, they'd likely get many to partake. I know it's the same as the "100 dollar" offer, but it still would attract more, I bet.
Sadly, incentives don’t work. We’ve seen this, and in polls the holdouts have told us they dont work

We know what works. The inability to go places and do things. Polls have shown this, too.

Casper Gutman

When I specifically asked you if this includes kids, you said yes. Broadwsy's policy of kids coming to the theater means they must show a negative covid test if they're too young to be vaccinated, as does the cruise line industry's policy I believe. One test is reasonable. You can't possibly think testing everyday is reasonable. They don't even do that in medical care facilities.
I said that when the vax was approved for children the policy should extend to them. I stand by that. And yes, testing every day or every other day for those who can safely get the vax but refuse it is fine. Part of the point is to make it unpleasant.

And given how many unvaxxed work at healthcare facilities (and retirement homes) they may be a bad example.

StarWarsGirl

And given how many unvaxxed work at healthcare facilities (and retirement homes) they may be a bad example.
Do you have data to back that up?

Edit: Nevermind, I googled it. But more than 96% of doctors are in fact vaccinated and many healthcare facilities are making vaccines a condition of employment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom