Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrzyKtty

Fair enough but this is about how covid relates to Disney world. No one is making you take your 8 year old to see the mouse.
That's why I said I agreed with the overall point you're trying to make. But you said why should somebody lose their livelihood because of anti-vaxxers and I was just reminding that not everybody who hasn't got vaccinated is because they're an anti-vaxxer. The fact that we are seeing numbers Spike to the level that we are is clearly indicative of the fact that precautions were taken off too soon. People who have not received the vaccine are not taking it seriously anymore. However, when masks were required, pretty much everybody wore them even if they hated them in my local area.

Trauma

The few people who would cancel would be balanced with the few people who would book because of.

If anything Disney has proved that people will come and pay no matter what. People were paying to enter DCA with no rides and no shows!! I’m sure that only encouraged Chapek.
Nope.

If this was true why did they remove restrictions in the first place?

Trauma

After reading some articles today where infection rates are going up and myself working at a hospital where the general consensus is, that we may be heading towards more restricted measures like what happened last fall. I just knew this was going to happen as there was too many unvaccinated people in this country who don’t care about anyone else or what rights and privileges are restricted due to their stupidity and selfishness.

I took the vaccination at the end of December and the middle of January for the second shot. I believe and trust in the science and I just wish we could get everyone on board and get them vaccinated. I have a strong feeling that on my October trip, Walt Disney World will be implementing more restrictive measures and they’re probably saying to themselves, they might have moved too soon in removing some of them as of now. You can thank the unvaccinated and the stupid conspiracy believers who still think COVID-19 is a joke, for the return of masks everywhere and more restrictive measures.

I was hoping for the best, but I now really believe that we’re going to get swamped with COVID-19 variants in the areas where Vaccinations are the lowest and looked upon as a government conspiracy. We as a country really won’t see the end of this for quite a while. it’s a damn shame, it really is.
The areas with low vaccination rates are also the areas that will not put restrictions in place.

Why should my area go back to restrictions ( we have a 81.6% vaccination rate ) because of what’s happening on Arkansas?

Trauma

So we probably agree - I think vaccine passports would be great for all non-essential businesses. Theaters, indoor dining, theme parks, museums, etc.

That’s the best of everything.
Oh yes we can 100 percent agree on this.

This would also make our disagreements a moot point.

We would be able to vacation assured we around only other vaccinated individuals.

Wouldn’t that be nice?

ImperfectPixie

Oh yes we can 100 percent agree on this.

This would also make our disagreements a mute point.

We would be able to vacation assured we around only other vaccinated individuals.

Wouldn’t that be nice?
Not trying to be snippy or rude...

it's "moot" point, not "mute" point.

I used to do the same all the time (like well into my 30s) and was super embarrassed when I finally found out (and upset that no one ever told me!).

Still better than when my husband says "girafft" though.

seascape

I need to start by saying I I don't trust eveything in the NY Times. However for the most part I have trusted them on their Covid19 numbers. But they now say Florida havs an avevage of 5,576 daily cases and the country has 25,661. That is 21.73% of all the US cases are in Florida. I don't believe that is true but of it is, Florida needs to take some serious action to correct this.

Trauma

Not trying to be snippy or rude...

it's "moot" point, not "mute" point.

I used to do the same all the time (like well into my 30s) and was super embarrassed when I finally found out (and upset that no one ever told me!).

Still better than when my husband says "girafft" though.
Yeah I realized it after I read it.

Thanks for your help though my grammar is a disaster.

ImperfectPixie

I nerd to start by saying I I don't trust eveything in the NY Times. However for the most part I have triusted them on their Covid19 numbers. But they know day Florida havd an avevage of 5,576 daily cases and the country has 25,661. That is 21.73% of alla the US cases are in Florida. I don't believe that is true but of it is, Florida needs to take some serious action to correct this.
Here's Reuters (for increase over the last week by state)

And here's Johns Hopkins (if you hover over each county on the map, you can view daily new cases or daily new cases per 100,000, etc.)

Florida is NOT doing well.

Mr. Moderate

The areas with low vaccination rates are also the areas that will not put restrictions in place.

Why should my area go back to restrictions ( we have a 81.6% vaccination rate ) because of what’s happening on Arkansas?
To make myself clear I don’t want restrictions put back in place and I would love nothing more then for all this garbage from Covid to be behind us. What I was pointing out is that the reality of the situation is that this surge is coming from those variants and it’s hitting the unvaccinated, but is also affecting those who were vaccinated. People in healthcare are concerned and that was the reason why I posted this. It’s going to affect us all and we’re not out of the woods yet, even though I wish we were.

mmascari

Ok Pixie I understand where you are coming from but I need an explanation.

Let’s say that the overwhelming majority of people who are unvaccinated at this point will remain that way.

With Delta even more contagious we know that masks and social distancing will slow but not stop the spread.

It is safe to assume at this point that the non vaccinated will catch covid at some point and be a mutation possibility.

So what does slowing the spread achieve ?

In the end we will have the same number of opportunities for mutation.

If hospitals are overwhelmed then sure slow that spread.

Otherwise you mine as well count every unvaccinated American as another case.

So we should expect what about another 50 millions cases or so?
That would be so sad.

Let's say we only get to 200,000,000 vaccinated in the US, leaves 130,000,000 unvaccinated left.

We've had 34,000,000 cases so far. Let's assume that's only half the real cases, so 68,000,000 cases so far.

Now, let's pretend that all of those cases are part of the people left unvaccinated. That leaves us with 62,000,000 people who are really just "unvaccinated cases that will happen in the future". We know this is false, but pretend, plus dumb luck makes these 62,000,000 slightly smaller than the pretend 68,000,000 above. Pretend they're actually same.

So, our pretend math that's being super generous to minimize the outcome says we're about halfway through infections in the US. There's as many unvaccinated people that will become cases as there as already been.

The cases so far gave us 600,000 deaths.

We're half way there. But, another 600,000 deaths feels unthinkable. Plus, the age distribution isn't equal. Let's assume three fifths, more than half, of those 600,000 were old people. A demographic that's much more vaccinated.

That would mean we've got about as many cases to go as we've already had and another 240,000 deaths before we're done.

With no mitigations, a failing vaccine roll out, never ending pockets of spread not going away, and a population that will age into more vulnerability. Sounds about right.

Get's us back to, this would be so sad.

Wearing masks and social distancing cost businesses revenue leading to a loss of jobs.

Call it whatever you want but why should someone lose their livelihood just so some anti vaxer doesn’t get sick ?
Having 0.2% of the population die leads to employee and customer losses too. Quite literally.

Trauma

To make myself clear I don’t want restrictions put back in place and I would love nothing more then for all this garbage from Covid to be behind us. What I was pointing out is that the reality of the situation is that this surge is coming from those variants and it’s hitting the unvaccinated, but is also affecting those who were vaccinated. People in healthcare are concerned and that was the reason why I posted this. It’s going to affect us all and we’re not out of the woods yet, even though I wish we were.

Yeah It sucks.

I just say what I think, even though I know everyone here hates it.

I think this wave needs to be bad.

I think it needs to be bad enough to scare the unvaccinated into action.

If this thing doesn’t spike and start effecting the younger crowd they are not going to do anything.

They always say the same things to me.

“You guys can get vaccinated I’m not at any risk so why should I?“

Not sure what’s going to change that attitude except a huge dose of reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom