Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaughingGravy

Anecdotal, but valid.
We're having some work done on the house in way of repairs. Those doing the work are a crew of the owner who is same age as us and (4) 20-30 somethings. We provide them with a nice lunch when they are here.
They appreciate it and don't need to leave the site, so stuff gets done faster, plus DW is a really lovely cook.

One of them is in their 20s and caught Covid sometime last year (unknown if vaxed since), but his taste and smell was definitely affected, and still is.
He's the "apprentice" of the group.
When he does smell and taste things, they are bad (described as bitter), and mostly doesn't smell or taste.
By his own admission, it really sucks, because he can't get a definitive answer on if or when it's coming back. All meals are pretty much unpleasant in some way. Either there's no sense, or if there is, it makes him not want to eat.
This is not only unpleasant, but also a possible danger. He's dealing with home/house renovations, so can run into a bunch of things, including a gas leak if dealing with moving a stove, or cutting through a wall and encountering something unpleasant, such as cutting through a flexible gas line(not how it's supposed to be done, but it's been seen- people are sometimes stupid with self home renovations).
I feel bad for the guy, but this is an example of not asking politics, but also not caring anymore.

Other than that, he was reportedly sick enough to be out of work for at least a week, but "recovered", meaning not hospitalized.
Now, if he's not vaxed, is he a carrier/spreader now? Maybe? Could be? Could be again.
The owner is of like mind with us politically and with science and we know he's vaxed, as are the other guys.

We heard about the covid guy in two phases:
1. There's a guy coming on our team who caught covid last year, but didn't need to be hospitalized.
From our point, glad he's OK, we're all vaxed and need the work done, so whatever.
But this was told to us as a courtesy, with the owner knowing we are all over this as a subject. We are of like minds on a lot of topics and have known him for quite a while.

2. Many days later, his story about the now long term (we're in mid July of the next year) smell and taste effects happened, and only because it came up when he was eating chili and he was asked if it was spicy enough or too spicy.

My points here are that if someone only overheard 1. above at a backyard party, that's part of what's fueling the reluctant.
Also, if our contractor wasn't as nice (many aren't) he may have said nothing or lied about vaxed employees to get the job if asked. It's not like if someone catches it, it can be traced to the person's DNA from which it came.

Things like this may come up with not only small companies, but also larger ones where the decision to do business with them may be partially or wholly based on what their "covid policy" or situation is, independent of any laws.
Kind of like asking a contractor (pre and independent of covid) if their employees use masks when cutting wood or dealing with sheetrock. No law it has to be the case. But, at least with masks there is evidence.
I would not ask a contractor for proof of vaccine of all employees.
Back down (for the moment, unless Delta or worse gets out of hand) to not caring as there's plenty of easily available vaccine here.
We are indeed very fortunate compared to a lot of the world in this regard.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I think there's a fair number that will be persuaded once the vaccines receive full FDA approval. I'd love to see schools require it for kids over 12, but I also don't think that should happen before full approval. This is just a murky time where we really want everyone to get it, but without full approval, it's hard to know just how hard a line we should take. We are a country of great personal freedoms, but we also know we have to take responsibility for the decisions we make.

I am a great believer in personal freedom, but my family has all been fully vaccinated from the first moment it was possible. I'm also glad I got to make that decision and would likely not have responded to the government forcing it upon us.
Just a comment on schools. Ours already stated that with restrictions on who can get vaccinated still they cannot require it this year. They cannot keep amending vaccine requirements as the year goes on. They are making it well known that vaccinated will be treated differently with quarantine and other such rules though.
I fear that even FDA approval will help as much as we would hope. I guarantee it will become political and people will say the FDA rushed or was pressured into approving the vaccine. There are loud voices out there constantly naysaying any good pandemic developments.

On possible plus would be that it may give some employers more grounds to mandate vaccines to staff, which could help vaccine numbers.
For some it won't, for some it will. To me, every hurdle we can get through is good. Until FDA full approval though, my ability to reason with some is impossible.

ImperfectPixie

Our district said they will follow the CDC guidelines and allow fully vaccinated kids and staff to not wear a mask in school, but anyone unvaccinated will still be in masks. So they aren’t mandating vaccination but they are creating a benefit for those who are. They haven’t given details on how they will enforce this which is really key to knowing if it’s a good thing or not.
Schools DO have access to vaccination records, so it *could* be enforced, but my gut is telling me that's just too much work and it won't be.

LaughingGravy

For some it won't, for some it will. To me, every hurdle we can get through is good. Until FDA full approval though, my ability to reason with some is impossible.

To a point I can see the hesitancy with the FDA approval, but I also look at the reality of the evidence of so many people with no, little, or a few days of being sick as evidence of it being OK and a better choice. My feeling is, so should a lot of people ( ya think?!, LOL)
When looking at all the other drugs being advertised that are FDA approved and their nasty sounding Happy Fun Ball sounding side effects, it's amazing that there will still be people who will be reluctant once the vaccines are FDA approved.

"The South shall rise again!" Yeah, in covid numbers only.

LaughingGravy

Schools DO have access to vaccination records, so it *could* be enforced, but my gut is telling me that's just too much work and it won't be.
Eh, we attended a Colbert show taping week before last. Nobody was allowed who was not fully vaccinated. An "expert" checked our cards. I think there are some differences the experts are quietly keeping to themselves to identify fakes. The fact that people would fake them is sad in and of itself.
Schools are historically pretty insistent on providing proof of many other vaccinations for a lot of other things we don't often hear about folks getting these days, thanks to the vaccines. I would hope it's not too much effort. At this point, too much effort would be a sad excuse, and likely more driven by ideology masked as too much trouble by those in charge.

ImperfectPixie

Eh, we attended a Colbert show taping week before last. Nobody was allowed who was not fully vaccinated. An "expert" checked our cards. I think there are some differences the experts are quietly keeping to themselves to identify fakes. The fact that people would fake them is sad in and of itself.
Schools are historically pretty insistent on providing proof of many other vaccinations for a lot of other things we don't often hear about folks getting these days, thanks to the vaccines. I would hope it's not too much effort. At this point, too much effort would be a sad excuse, and likely more driven by ideology masked as too much trouble by those in charge.
The too much effort I was referring to was keeping track of which kids need to wear masks and which don't in classrooms.

For example, my younger son's class is only six kids. So once that age group is able to be vaccinated, keeping track of who needs to mask up shouldn't be an issue. But scale that up to 30 kids in a classroom and the older grades where kids change classes and I can see it becoming a major undertaking.

correcaminos

To a point I can see the hesitancy with the FDA approval, but I also look at the reality of the evidence of so many people with no, little, or a few days of being sick as evidence of it being OK and a better choice. My feeling is, so should a lot of people ( ya think?!, LOL)
When looking at all the other drugs being advertised that are FDA approved and their nasty sounding Happy Fun Ball sounding side effects, it's amazing that there will still be people who will be reluctant once the vaccines are FDA approved.

"The South shall rise again!" Yeah, in covid numbers only.
I actually know a few who have said no until FDA approval. Though it could only be an excuse. I live in a weird state that has just shy of 50% vaccinated. Only 40% of 20-29 year olds. 30s are just under 50% and 40s are over. 50+ we're seeing a good potion vaccinated. So I won't pick on the south. My area isn't all that great.
Our district said they will follow the CDC guidelines and allow fully vaccinated kids and staff to not wear a mask in school, but anyone unvaccinated will still be in masks. So they aren’t mandating vaccination but they are creating a benefit for those who are. They haven’t given details on how they will enforce this which is really key to knowing if it’s a good thing or not.
Our district won't enforce. It will be optional unless they change their minds since it's not looking like 5-11 will be available soon. They voted optional for summer and left it that way. We had a loud vocal minority demanding no masks.
Yes they do and ours asked for parents to send in kid's records. I already did mine. They won't use it to enforce, but they will for quarantine requirements. At least my kid won't be sent home like some had to last year. Boy did some sports teams mess things up for the whole.

ImperfectPixie

I actually know a few who have said no until FDA approval. Though it could only be an excuse. I live in a weird state that has just shy of 50% vaccinated. Only 40% of 20-29 year olds. 30s are just under 50% and 40s are over. 50+ we're seeing a good potion vaccinated. So I won't pick on the south. My area isn't all that great.

Our district won't enforce. It will be optional unless they change their minds since it's not looking like 5-11 will be available soon. They voted optional for summer and left it that way. We had a loud vocal minority demanding no masks.

Yes they do and ours asked for parents to send in kid's records. I already did mine. They won't use it to enforce, but they will for quarantine requirements. At least my kid won't be sent home like some had to last year. Boy did some sports teams mess things up for the whole.
I really, REALLY wish we weren't relying on the honor system at all. Anyone with half a brain knows it doesn't work. 🙁

correcaminos

I really, REALLY wish we weren't relying on the honor system at all. Anyone with half a brain knows it doesn't work. 🙁
Yep! I agree. To explain to others thinking, why not? Read below.

We live in a decent size school district. My kid has 20-25 in a regular class and way more in some of the non-core. 8 classes plus lunch a day. 750 kids total in the school - which is only 6-8. The highschool has 500 kids per grade. So about 2k kids in one school. How do you expect to really enforce it? Let's be real here. How can one do it easily in an average class? Also do we single kids out for choices that are not their own? We struggle enough with equity issues without adding.

Those of us with kids in schools that have more than a handful per class... you'd need an aide just to enforce with lists and making sure they knew ever kid in the room. That is if we could roll back writing saying we cannot force our mask beliefs on others. Both ways. In a perfect world it would be nice. Real world issues make it too much really.

mmascari

One of them is in their 20s and caught Covid sometime last year (unknown if vaxed since), but his taste and smell was definitely affected, and still is.
When he does smell and taste things, they are bad (described as bitter), and mostly doesn't smell or taste.
By his own admission, it really sucks, because he can't get a definitive answer on if or when it's coming back. All meals are pretty much unpleasant in some way. Either there's no sense, or if there is, it makes him not want to eat.

Diet plan! ;)

To soon? Probably too soon. 😥

correcaminos

Anecdotal, but valid.
We're having some work done on the house in way of repairs. Those doing the work are a crew of the owner who is same age as us and (4) 20-30 somethings. We provide them with a nice lunch when they are here.
They appreciate it and don't need to leave the site, so stuff gets done faster, plus DW is a really lovely cook.

This is not only unpleasant, but also a possible danger. He's dealing with home/house renovations, so can run into a bunch of things, including a gas leak if dealing with moving a stove, or cutting through a wall and encountering something unpleasant, such as cutting through a flexible gas line(not how it's supposed to be done, but it's been seen- people are sometimes stupid with self home renovations).
I feel bad for the guy, but this is an example of not asking politics, but also not caring anymore.

Other than that, he was reportedly sick enough to be out of work for at least a week, but "recovered", meaning not hospitalized.
Now, if he's not vaxed, is he a carrier/spreader now? Maybe? Could be? Could be again.
The owner is of like mind with us politically and with science and we know he's vaxed, as are the other guys.

We heard about the covid guy in two phases:
1. There's a guy coming on our team who caught covid last year, but didn't need to be hospitalized.
From our point, glad he's OK, we're all vaxed and need the work done, so whatever.
But this was told to us as a courtesy, with the owner knowing we are all over this as a subject. We are of like minds on a lot of topics and have known him for quite a while.

2. Many days later, his story about the now long term (we're in mid July of the next year) smell and taste effects happened, and only because it came up when he was eating chili and he was asked if it was spicy enough or too spicy.

My points here are that if someone only overheard 1. above at a backyard party, that's part of what's fueling the reluctant.
Also, if our contractor wasn't as nice (many aren't) he may have said nothing or lied about vaxed employees to get the job if asked. It's not like if someone catches it, it can be traced to the person's DNA from which it came.

Things like this may come up with not only small companies, but also larger ones where the decision to do business with them may be partially or wholly based on what their "covid policy" or situation is, independent of any laws.
Kind of like asking a contractor (pre and independent of covid) if their employees use masks when cutting wood or dealing with sheetrock. No law it has to be the case. But, at least with masks there is evidence.
I would not ask a contractor for proof of vaccine of all employees.
Back down (for the moment, unless Delta or worse gets out of hand) to not caring as there's plenty of easily available vaccine here.
We are indeed very fortunate compared to a lot of the world in this regard.
I forgot to reply to this one. I really feel for those who lose taste or smell or both. We all likely have had a bad cold or flu that messed with the sensations some. My kid had lost taste and smell when he was sick at the beginning of the pandemic (no we do not know with what as they weren't testing so we act like it wasn't covid though could've been) and he hated it. It only lasted a few days.

I have weird locations of nerves in my mouth and when trying to numb my mouth for a crown replacement, my lingual nerve was likely damaged. My sensation of feeling did not return for weeks on one side of my tongue. I still have a "dead spot" from it. The interesting part is I could not taste on that side of the mouth for the most part. Eating was gross and I even had sense of smell. It's horrible honestly to deal with that for weeks.

I couldn't imagine being that long without it.

DisneyCane

I can assure you that there is no secret security features of the CDC card that would allow an "expert" to spot fakes. As long as someone uses substantially similar stock to print it on they won't get discovered. It's not currency or a driver's license where there are anti-counterfeit features designed in.

TrainsOfDisney

I can assure you that there is no secret security features of the CDC card that would allow an "expert" to spot fakes. As long as someone uses substantially similar stock to print it on they won't get discovered. It's not currency or a driver's license where there are anti-counterfeit features designed in.
That’s what I was thinking. Mine is all hand-written with a “i got a covid vaccine” sticker on the back. Maybe the sticker has a secret chip in it? Haha

Jrb1979

That’s what I was thinking. Mine is all hand-written with a “i got a covid vaccine” sticker on the back. Maybe the sticker has a secret chip in it? Haha
What a difference in how it's done. I got a government issued document and was told to keep it will me passport. As well as upload to the ArriveCanada app.

dolbyman

I was speaking in general terms...nut just about Disney parks.
I guess I could have applied that into general terms as well
As soon as the local mask mandate dropped, mask usage in public transport went to 70-80% and in supermarkets (at least the ones I go to) to 20% or less...I guess people are more comfortable unmasking in grocery stores than crammed transit.

But looks like Canada is doing a LOT better, in terms of vaccine, than most parts of the US

1626105690654.png

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
To follow up on discussion around delta variant:
Dr. Anthony Fauci, chief medical adviser to President Joe Biden, did the round of Sunday talk shows on Sunday to say COVID-19 vaccine boosters are not needed in the U.S. right now as almost all new cases are in unvaccinated people, but he didn’t rule out that they may be needed over time for certain individuals.

This just highlights what most people have been saying all along, the vaccines work…really, really well.

I can't believe he is admitting that he may flip-flop on this issue. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom