Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastet

UK now at 16,000 cases in a day - 33% increase in a week. Last month we were on 2000 cases a day.

This is with the vast majority of adults having a vaccine.
Out of those cases, 19 deaths were reported, and upto the 19th June hospital admissions were at about 200. It wouls seem that a large number of cases are either asymptomatic or quite mild. Most over 40s are only now eligible for 2nd vaccine, so younger people will be the same.

Thelazer

Depends.

Sure something like Ebola burns itself out so quickly. I’m thinking what about something that is like Covid in transmission but higher fatality.

I haven’t looked lately but survival rate for Covid was around what 98.5% and the healthcare systems of the US and Europe I might had were severely strained.

Now look at it with say 5-10% fatality rate, imagine the impact. Not good.
One could argue, that had we not done all the masking, which slowed transmission down.. this would have burned itself out a lot quicker and once you figure in the amount of depression, deaths (from delay in medical procedures) and etc that went on (and is still to come) the rate of overall death VS covid cases in the hospital would maybe be about the same.

Willmark

One could argue, that had we not done all the masking, which slowed transmission down.. this would have burned itself out a lot quicker and once you figure in the amount of depression, deaths (from delay in medical procedures) and etc that went on (and is still to come) the rate of overall death VS covid cases in the hospital would maybe be about the same.
Possible but there was no way that we were going the route that Sweden did for any number of reasons.

SamusAranX

According to several reputable news agencies, the CDC is reporting that there is a “likely link” between the rare heart inflammations in young (mostly under 30) males and the Moderna & Pfizer vaccines.

To date, more than 1200 cases have been reported.

View attachment 565743
Despite looking paranoid, I must ask, how would someone like me find out if I got this inflammation? Or is it pretty evident from symptoms?

Touchdown

According to several reputable news agencies, the CDC is reporting that there is a “likely link” between the rare heart inflammations in young (mostly under 30) males and the Moderna & Pfizer vaccines.

To date, more than 1200 cases have been reported.

View attachment 565743
Let’s figure out that denominator shall we? According to the CDC the number of Americans who are fully vaccinated between the ages of 12-25 is 15,753,384.

1200/15753384*100=0.0076% that’s a less than 1 in 10,000 chance you will get it.

Mark52479

It's a moot issue because the counties which would desire to implement restrictions are also the counties with the highest vaccination rates which make an outbreak that causes a legitimate local emergency (defined as high hospitalizations and deaths) to be very unlikely.
This brings up a very good point. Florida is such a big state with so many rural areas. The big populated areas all have higher vaccination rates. While I wish more were vaccinated here in FL, these populated areas with higher vax rates is why it is more likely than not FL will NOT have another big outbreak.

People talk about FL as a whole not having a high vax rate, but where it counts the majority of people are vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Despite looking paranoid, I must ask, how would someone like me find out if I got this inflammation? Or is it pretty evident from symptoms?
It can occur with many viral infections including the common cold, Covid 19, mono, hepatitis, etc… Most people have a mild case and have little or no symptoms but more severe cases cause chest pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, rapid heartbeat. In athletes or people who do extreme work outs it’s more likely to be noticed. If you have it and have no symptoms it will pass without treatment. In rare cases if extreme enough it could lead to hospitalization.

DonniePeverley

One thing that does confuse me is why the Indian Variant is slowing down in India - cases now pretty low. Yet the same variant amongst a vaccinated country like the UK is growing massively.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Let’s figure out that denominator shall we? According to the CDC the number of Americans who are fully vaccinated between the ages of 12-25 is 15,753,384.

1200/15753384*100=0.0076% that’s a less than 1 in 10,000 chance you will get it.
The other factor is how common it occurs with Covid infection. So you avoid a vaccine because of a really rare condition but are you actually more likely to get this with natural Covid? I believe that’s part of what the CDC will be reviewing. My understanding is there has been some research that showed it was a more common complication of Covid than some other viruses. Not sure if that’s been scientifically proven.

So if 1 in 13,000 people have this reaction to the vaccine you need to know how likely you are to catch Covid if unvaccinated and then how likely this side effect is. If there‘s a 1 in 13,000 or greater chance of getting this with natural Covid infection than it shouldn’t even be considered. If there’s only a 1% chance you get Covid if unvaccinated and myocarditis occurred in only 1% of people infected than it’s a 0.01% chance vs 0.0076% from the vaccine. My suspicion is that the rate of natural infection is higher than 1% and the rate of myocarditis is definitely higher. This also doesn’t take into account all of the other impacts from natural infection that can be avoided with the vaccine.

Kevin_W

It can occur with many viral infections including the common cold, Covid 19, mono, hepatitis, etc… Most people have a mild case and have little or no symptoms but more severe cases cause chest pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, rapid heartbeat. In athletes or people who do extreme work outs it’s more likely to be noticed. If you have it and have no symptoms it will pass without treatment. In rare cases if extreme enough it could lead to hospitalization.

A co-worker of mine many years ago caught the flu and ended up with a pacemaker and eventually a heart transplant.

Heppenheimer

Myocarditis and pericarditis are most associated with hand, foot and mouth disease

correcaminos

One thing that does confuse me is why the Indian Variant is slowing down in India - cases now pretty low. Yet the same variant amongst a vaccinated country like the UK is growing massively.
The Delta variant took its natural course in India. Cases are slowing due to likely it just hitting massively unvaccinated group and nature takes its course. Our definitions must differ, as cases are dropping but not at all low. Same with UK, not massive, but increased because it hit later. Those not vaccinated or without 2nd dose are more likely to test positive.

Chip Chipperson

Right, I think it's 1 in 130,000.

The thing is, there are going to those who argue (and they will be technically correct) that they have a 0.0% chance of getting this condition if they don't take the vaccine.

Really though, the rate almost certainly is much higher. What percentage of 12-24 year-olds are going to complain enough that it actually makes it to the CDC database?

My guess (without anything to back it up) is that 1 in 20,000 to 50,000 might be closer to the mark.

I'd like to make a direct comparison with the death rate but, unfortunately, the CDC data that I found is split into 5-17 and 18-29 age groups.

In the 5-17 age group, there have been 2.8 million cases and 308 deaths: 1 in 9000.

In the 18-29 age group, there have been 6.1 million cases and 2592 deaths: 1 in 2600.

Hopefully, rational people will realize that it's better to risk heart inflammation than death.

Not to mention the fact that the same heart inflammation is a known effect of COVID-19 - so people who use this as an excuse to not get the vaccine are literally saying they want higher odds of heart inflammation and/or death from the virus. Of course, many of these people also think they "built up antibodies by not wearing a mask" (an actual meme I saw yesterday floating around Facebook), so it's clear that many people are too dumb to understand basic math and science while also being too stubborn to admit to themselves that experts in those fields (aka the nerds they picked on in high school while they were too cool to pay attention to their teachers) know more about these things than they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom