Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willmark

It’s not a “southern” thing. Multiple states are lagging behind that are not in the south. it’s a combination of socioeconomic, uneducated groups, cultural, and political lines.

please stop with your insulting generalizations and stereotypes. No one retires to then move up north. So maybe get down from that high horse.

oh and ironic: the state that many Northerners move to (Florida) is lagging behind. Oops! Guess those northerners left their high education and superior knowledge back in NY!
It’s really interesting how reductive some try to make this.

In NY state those choosing to not get the vaccine? It’s not what is being bandied about here. I’ll leave it at that.

Jrb1979

It’s not a “southern” thing. Multiple states are lagging behind that are not in the south. it’s a combination of socioeconomic, uneducated groups, cultural, and political lines.

please stop with your insulting generalizations and stereotypes. No one retires to then move up north. So maybe get down from that high horse.

oh and ironic: the state that many Northerners move to (Florida) is lagging behind. Oops! Guess those northerners left their high education and superior knowledge back in NY!
To be honest I really don't care. There is no reason why the US has gone from being near the top in the world for Vaccination rates to being passed by many countries now. At this rate maybe by Christmas you will hit 75%. There will continue to be outbreaks in many pockets due to laziness or stupidity.

Dreaming of Disney World

It will continue to go up, but it’s already one of the top states.

Top states for 1 shot 18+
  1. VT 84% of adults with 1 shot
  2. HI 82%
  3. MA 81%
  4. CT 77%
  5. NJ 76%
  6. ME 76%
  7. PA 74%
  8. RI 74%
  9. NM 73%
  10. MD 72%
  11. NH 72%
  12. WA 72%
  13. CA 72%
  14. DC 70%
  15. NY 70%
I'm proud of New England and happy I live here, as always.

I read with sadness the call for this thread to be ended and would ask that it be continued, if possible!
Being from the U.K. it has given me much information that would otherwise be very difficult to come by. I have taken comfort from the decreasing cases and deaths in the USA and each individual State. I have shared with you all the joy of people getting vaccinated and the worry that some are resistant and that may hamper herd immunity.
Most of all though, I have felt the compassion and kindness of people who I have never met through their posts and messages. I now consider many of you internet friends- a speedier version of pen pals! I would love to hear how WDW copes without any mitigations and when things will return to normality again as that will help us judge when to return to your beautiful country.
I know this is a selfish request but having read every post and been a member of the thread for about 15 months I would miss it greatly. As we are currently unable to enter society because of my husbands treatment it has provided me with contact to the outside world for at least an hour a day. I have read other perspectives and ideas and have been persuaded by some- though not all!
If it is to be closed may I thank you for helping me to keep my sanity, gain insight into the way the USA functions, keeping me amused at all times of the day and night and as I said before your compassion whether we agree or not.
I also enjoy reading the updates on this thread.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Then next time do your own Googling.
Why the sass?

This board used to be a refreshing breather from all the other nonsense, aggressive boards. Why are you so triggered by my comments? Sorry you feel you need to be a bit rude to me, but honestly just presenting another opinion like we all do.

Back on topic(ish), I'm of the opinion that this is just another scariant headline that unfortunately people will buy into. The actual data is below (you know facts and stuff;)):

Capture 2.JPG

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

To defend FL a little, they are behind the New England states and the other top performers but are middle of the pack. Not the best but far from the worst at 63% of adults with 1 dose. Also, FL has 89% of 65+ vaccinated which is 2% above the national average. The majority of Northerners moving to FL are probably in that demographic group. Like everywhere else it’s the younger generations that are lagging behind.

I agree with your first sentence which is why each state and even regions within each state need to focus on different plans to encourage more vaccinations. There’s no one plan that works for everyone, but having no real plan is a guarantee of failure.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Another study saying the virus was around much earlier, almost a month from the first actual case that was reported. This is in Pennsylvania.

I work with a guy who was sick in Feb and his wife was sick too including the purple toes. She went to a dermatologist and they didn’t know what it was back then. Since it went away she just wrote it off but later suspected it was covid toe.

Flugell

Hopefully this is my turn to supply the information! The situation in the U.K. is interesting and probably nowhere near as bad as you have read. One of the main reasons for delaying the lifting of all restrictions for a further 4 weeks is to allow younger adults to be vaccinated. I believe a very sensible decision by our prime minister, who in my opinion is doing a good job! The 25 + group was only included last week and are now available to 21+ . Hopefully next week this will go down to 18+

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hopefully this is my turn to supply the information! The situation in the U.K. is interesting and probably nowhere near as bad as you have read. One of the main reasons for delaying the lifting of all restrictions for a further 4 weeks is to allow younger adults to be vaccinated. I believe a very sensible decision by our prime minister, who in my opinion is doing a good job! The 25 + group was only included last week and are now available to 21+ . Hopefully next week this will go down to 18+
Makes sense. We saw our major relaxing of masks and distancing about a month after the vaccines became available to all adults. I think we actually jumped the gun by a few weeks since that last group wasn’t fully vaccinated yet, but it makes sense to wait until everyone at least has access to their first shot.

Jrb1979

I think some people may have missed the new title change.…Now with optimism! Not just optimism, but optimism with an exclamation point. 🤔🤓😁🤩🥳👍🎉

I think it's just the last gasp. The mask policy thread is now about why people wear masks while driving alone in their car.
I very optimistic with the Vaccination rollout here and that we will hit 75% by July.

I'm far from doom and gloom. I have lots to be happy for. Our amusement park opens in 2 weeks. The border looks will have a plan for reopening next week.

The only thing I don't share my optimism with is in regards to the stalling of vaccinations.

SamusAranX

To be honest I really don't care. There is no reason why the US has gone from being near the top in the world for Vaccination rates to being passed by many countries now. At this rate maybe by Christmas you will hit 75%. There will continue to be outbreaks in many pockets due to laziness or stupidity.
I am not doubting there's pockets of people; but it's not just a "southern" thing. It's a nationwide problem, that intersects at many different reasons.

SamusAranX

To defend FL a little, they are behind the New England states and the other top performers but are middle of the pack. Not the best but far from the worst at 63% of adults with 1 dose. Also, FL has 89% of 65+ vaccinated which is 2% above the national average. The majority of Northerners moving to FL are probably in that demographic group. Like everywhere else it’s the younger generations that are lagging behind.

I agree with your first sentence which is why each state and even regions within each state need to focus on different plans to encourage more vaccinations. There’s no one plan that works for everyone, but having no real plan is a guarantee of failure.
Exactly. Each region will need to identify what might work for them to help increase the rate.

Just get sick of the vitriol sometimes directed at people just because they're from the South. Every area has it's problems. The irony of it is though, as I stated, so many people want to move to this "backwater" place 😂 😉

Touchdown

It’s a southern thing

75B665F4-2DFA-4BB8-9AB7-623A55EF8686.jpeg

While ID and WY aren’t doing so great, they currently have the benefit of good weather which will push people outside, and even so the 3 worst states (LA, MS, AL) are in the Southeast, and it by far is the worst quadrant of the US.

SamusAranX

It’s a southern thing

View attachment 564193
While ID and WY aren’t doing so great, they currently have the benefit of good weather which will push people outside, and even so the 3 worst states (LA, MS, AL) are in the Southeast, and it by far is the worst quadrant of the US.
I basically mean it's not "just" a Southern thing, not that the South isn't having issues. There are problems and pockets everywhere. Notice that Virginia and Florida, both South states, are doing better then Midwest and some western states. North Carolina is on par with or close to states out West. Michigan and Indiana are lagging behind the other northern states. I think the more telling measure would be by county and urban versus rural, income levels, racial/cultural demographics (this may explain Georgia and Mississippi); much of the population is African American, where there has been educational outreach to overcome historical distrust of a medical system that has discriminated against them in the past) and so on. It's not as black and white, as southerners = opposed to vax, Northerners = will get vaxed.

GaBoy

It hasn't helped that politics in this country has become blind "team" allegiance. A passage in one of my favorite series of books, the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin series (Master and Commander fame), always rings true when I see blind allegiance of any sort (and this is ALL sides).
It paraphrased regarding patriotism AS A WORD something like... "one that generally comes to mean either my country, right or wrong, which is infamous, or my country is always right, which is imbecile.”
You can insert cable news outlet... political group... politician, etc... for the word "country". It tends to remind me of how we as a population tend to fall onto our comfortable sources for reassurance and stop questioning all that we hear.
Now, this is some of it but not all. I think it only really adds fuel to the fire and backs up deep ingrained reluctance. Demographically the uptake has fallen along race/ethnicity lines pretty well but not perfect judging by demographics on vaccine uptake. Hesitancy is there, generations old and rightfully so.
This is also a part of the country where, in general, it has been tough to get rural populations to feel an immanent threat. Disease is just another risk they encounter along with a myriad of other natural risks. They also aren't around a lot of strangers in their communities that would help to create doubt.
I doubt any vaccination program in the culture that I have been raised in (and part of) would have widely accepted or participated in it if not mandated by school systems as a child.
That being said, those I work around, not vaccinated, are not stupid people. They are naturally suspicious and questioning and it is ingrained and goes back many generations. Many of these same folks work in high risk occupations and the " stupid/tough" mantra is coming out of their own mouths. They accept that they may catch COVID but are willing to take their chances.
The real driver here is that there is no "reward" for vaccination that the Northern states have had as a catalyst. Mask mandates never existed here. Social distancing was practiced and masks in business requiring them, were observed in heavier population centers but, by and large, no one wore them in the general public. I have stated before that a lot of the people I work directly with, at some point and time, have tested positive. I myself quarantined 4 separate times. I have seen many posts by people pushing vaccinations to celebrate the day that mask wearing mandates are lifted. That driver was never part of the push in the South (to speak of).
I see the deep south, going forward, not being too far off with the amount of exposure and probable natural immunity. I do see there being local pockets of outbreak in rural counties as are occurring now. I see it never reversing course, regardless, in this part of the country. Hot spots will be dealt with as hot spots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom