Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which business would you patronize?

A business that advertises:

"MASKS OR NO MASKS EVERONE WELCOME!"
(I actually saw a business in Holmes county Ohio have this sign last fall)

Or a business that advertises:

"ONLY THOSE VACCINATED OR THOSE WEARING A MASK ARE PERMITTED IN THIS BUSINESS"
Just curious.... Not a 'trick' question.
Option 2. Maybe not everyone will follow the honor system, but some will, not necessarily by continuing to wear a mask because they are unvaccinated but more likely because they will be insulted and turned off by business #2 and just not show up. If the 2 businesses in question are pharmacies or grocery stores the unvaccinated will tend to favor #1. It’s easier to go somewhere that says no masks needed than to go somewhere where a mask is technically required and hoe nobody calls you on not being vaccinated.

Now someone may say “if you are fully vaccinated, why does it matter?”. My answer is #1 on principle and #2 my kids aren’t vaccinated.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I wish people could just try to question their assumptions, and try to see where others are coming from, even briefly. What a difference that would make.
Absolutely...works both ways though.

For example, do you not see why myself and others believe that making a 2 year old wear a mask is unnecessary...based on data we have seen and the overall practicality of it?

Just as I understand why parents of older children in different environments may feel like masks are a good thing for children...and can point to particular evidence that suggests this.

Or why we have put the development of children on the back burner in many situations? Not really addressing those kids who are already in not so great situations having more weight put on their shoulders during this...

bryanfze55

There’s no need to wear masks for the flu because it’s not a novel virus (we’ve all been naturally exposed to it) and there is a vaccine. Once kids are eligible for the Covid vaccine there will be no need for them to wear masks anymore for covid either.
I agree, I just think it says something about how lethal these viruses really are for children that the death rate for the flu is just as bad amongst kids even though there’s a vaccine.

Jrb1979

Agreed. That has always been the plan. A return to normal means no masks for anyone because the spread is very low. This step right now is to reward the vaccinated, give incentive to the unvaccinated to get done and to get us over the finish line. In a matter of a month or less we should start hitting vaccine thresholds moat places. It’s happening. This is a great first step, but people do need to realize it’s not the end. Not yet. We still need 20-30M more adults to get vaccinated.
Here is my take on it. Here in Canada the goal is 75% with their first dose and 20% fully vaccinated before restrictions are dropped. Why wouldn't that have worked? My feelings with the CDC putting out these new guidelines is it's going to make less people want a vaccine. With places dropping masks all together already there is no incentive to get vaccinated.

Last edited:

bryanfze55

This entire thread can be boiled down to three opinions (from that example):
  1. There was never that much sewage, the beach should be open, just live with it.
  2. It's been too long. So what if there's still lots of sewage, its way better that it was last month at least.
  3. Let's clean the sewage up, so it's not a problem anymore.

And if cleaning up the sewage took ten or more years, I assume you’d just be a good little trooper even if it ruined an entire generation of kids?

correcaminos

Kids at your school are continually on top of each other during recess? Interesting. At my kid's school, they didn't have any footballs, etc. to play with, so they mostly just ran around or threw rocks. No dog piles. lol

And my second grader absolutely understands the concept of social distancing. It has been drilled into her head over the last year by pretty much every adult she interacts with...for better or worse.
Normally lots of sports. I think only tag football is allowed but soccer, football, gaga etc. All close together. We're middle school now so no recess, just lunch and this year all of that was removed, but kids still get close together to chat even if they do understand distancing, it's not always done. With 750 kids in the school even only half outside at a time it's still hard to police. I've spent a lot of time lately working on the show. While the kids were excellent with masks, distancing doesn't always occur even after we remind them often 10 minutes later they are back. They get it but they are kids.

We have less than 2 weeks left though so not a big deal to me.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Normally lots of sports. I think only tag football is allowed but soccer, football, gaga etc. All close together. We're middle school now so no recess, just lunch and this year all of that was removed, but kids still get close together to chat even if they do understand distancing, it's not always done. With 750 kids in the school even only half outside at a time it's still hard to police. I've spent a lot of time lately working on the show. While the kids were excellent with masks, distancing doesn't always occur.

We have less than 2 weeks left though so not a big deal to me.
Fair enough.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree, I just think it says something about how lethal these viruses really are for children that the death rate for the flu is just as bad amongst kids even though there’s a vaccine.
Yeah, that’s the point though. Kids are wearing masks, distancing and cancelling lots of activities and the death rate still is what it is. Since there was no vaccine we substituted a vaccine for other mitigations. Once the vaccine exists (it does just not approved yet) then the other mitigations get replaced with a vaccine.

Willmark

The entire mask mandate (and bear in mine I wore mine as required) was on shaky ground when the federal government did their “masks aren’t required” then flipped to the placebo effect of “they are required” only when manufacturers had enough supply last spring. People can argue the merits of that all they want but it’s a fact."

Your fact is wrong, CDC changed their recommendation regarding masks when scientific studies shown their effectiveness, those studies did not exist in Feb-Mar 2020 as COVID-19 was a new virus still being studied, hence masks not required as at that time there was no science to support use, that would change a few months later- that timeline and change in CDC recommendation is well documented.
March 2020, masks were in short supply, at that time no masks required for the general public:

Then when supplies became available later on, its mask up everyone!

As to science changing policy later? Sure. It also happened to coincide with increased capacity of PPE more so than frontline health care workers.

Ask yourself this: if the CDC discovers at the time that masks do indeed limit spread but there aren’t masks to hand out what kind of might that have caused? Oh. That’s right there are instructions on the (CDC approvedwebsite on how to make your own.

Here’s the kicker for me. I think that was actually a good move, people not being reliant on the government is a good thing.

So in order:
1. Initially- no or limited mask availability. Save it for the front line healthcare workers. Lowe’s, Home Depot, construction companies (at least around here) start donating their supplies; feds implore people to not buy them. After a while places like Lowe’s and Home Depot remove even the shelf tags from the stores. Websites list them as for healthcare workers only.

2. Oh crap moment sets in. This can be mitigated by wearing masks but not enough to go around. Instruct people how to make them while production ramps up.

3. Enough are in circulation, mask up!

Lastly as to the CDC changing based on info? Sure as more info becomes available they should do so, kinda like this:

TLDR: sure you can buy into that the didn’t know about transmission via air (I’m not buying that for one second). It’s also highly likely they didn’t recommend it knowing what it would do to a nation that is now panicky by nature if they could t provide masks.

YMMV

Signed someone who started wearing masks in early late/February early March of 2020 before the CDC did their flip/flop of what to do.

correcaminos

I agree. The governor of Ohio is offering a million dollar lottery held every Wednesday for the next five weeks. The Illinois governor is offering free tickets to Six Flags. And they wonder why people are moving out of Illinois.
Honestly throw in free Buckeye tickets (or other sports tickets here) and more would flock

mmascari

And if cleaning up the sewage took ten or more years, I assume you’d just be a good little trooper even if it ruined an entire generation of kids?
The solution to a sewage problem isn't to ignore it, it's to clean it up. Figure out how to not swim in it. If it was going to take 10 years (or even look like it might), I would want better fix. Not just say, eh, it's cool, just swim in it.

Are you really trying to argue if it takes too long, eh, just give up and go with it?

We could have done that months ago. It's taking to long to roll out the vaccine, just catch COVID, it's only really bad for some. 😡

Lilofan

Stuff like this:

FL should take note. If there was an incentive of getting the vaccine in FL, and get yourself in a lottery drawing - winner gets one weekend for family to stay in the Cinderella castle suite on top of the castle in MK could drive some more to get vaccinated. Hardly costs WDW anything and the winner gets a memory filled experience.

Willmark

Which business would you patronize?

A business that advertises:

"MASKS OR NO MASKS EVERONE WELCOME!"
(I actually saw a business in Holmes county Ohio have this sign last fall)

Or a business that advertises:

"ONLY THOSE VACCINATED OR THOSE WEARING A MASK ARE PERMITTED IN THIS BUSINESS"
Just curious.... Not a 'trick' question.
Option C: order from Amazon and avoid the particulars of a owner/companies stance on the issue pro or con.

willtravel

There’s no need to wear masks for the flu because it’s not a novel virus (we’ve all been naturally exposed to it) and there is a vaccine. Once kids are eligible for the Covid vaccine there will be no need for them to wear masks anymore for covid either.
So are you saying that flu vaccine is not needed for an adult since we are naturally exposed to it?

willtravel

Just wondering if Canadian border will be open this fall. Want to go to Niagara Falls this fall and surrounding area. Not sure where yet.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Get in the minivan, boys, we’re driving the track! Love it
What an awesome incentive!
I have zero interest in watching NASCAR on tv but I’d still love to drive that track. Really cool idea. I wonder home many people would get the shot for a chance at running the bases at Yankee stadium or shoot a free throw in MSG. This could be used all over the place.

FL should take note. If there was an incentive of getting the vaccine in FL, and get yourself in a lottery drawing - winner gets one weekend for family to stay in the Cinderella castle suite on top of the castle in MK could drive some more to get vaccinated. Hardly costs WDW anything and the winner gets a memory filled experience.
Disney could actually get a lot of free press too. Maybe have Disney parks fans who are fully vaccinated enter a drawing and pick several winners who get a free trip and would be allowed to appear on the last float next to Mickey Mouse on the first parade that returns to the Magic Kingdom. Let people enter under the honor system and if you win you need to provide proof you are actually vaccinated or you don‘t get the prize. This way no need to collect vaccination proof from tons of people. It’s an easy process and would give them great PR too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom