Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think we are going to see this everywhere. And very, very quickly. (Disney being a bit slower than the others.)

Which is a shame. When I thought we would be at this point 'soon', I was thinking sometime in June. But like everything with this darn virus, unwise decisions are the norm at every level.
I am fine with the change from the CDC. I would expect a business to change their policy but it would be nice if they gave some details. If the goal was to give people an incentive to get vaccinated Yiu have to actually ensure people are vaccinated to get the benefit. Otherwise why get vaccinated?

CJR

No sure so sure requiring masks for plane travel with US is really going to present a problem, in fact domestic plane travel has been on on rise for months, including requirement to wear masks, seems like people who what to travel via plane within US have no problem wearing a mask even for 5 hr trip from east to west coast.

And that's great for those people. I was talking about my family, not others. Obviously, there's also people not comfortable with it, you replied to one. :)

GaBoy

I am fine with the change from the CDC. I would expect a business to change their policy but it would be nice if they gave some details. If the goal was to give people an incentive to get vaccinated Yiu have to actually ensure people are vaccinated to get the benefit. Otherwise why get vaccinated?
Its a shift from their responsibility to your (the guest's) responsibility. They want out of that business as much as possible. They are happy to take this guidance and tell people that its up to you. Come vaccinated or not, pick what you desire as to level of personal protection you feel necessary.... we (all the parks across the country) have losses to make up.

Flugell

Sure, but why should 2-year-olds have to mask on a plane?
Appreciate the difficulty believe me!
However if that was the rule when you booked, it seems a little unreasonable to complain now.
That’s not to underestimate the stress involved!
If I was seated next to your child I would expect and insist on them being masked for their safety as well as mine as have immunosuppressant issues even though I am vaccinated.
If your 2 year old were sat between his/her mother and father (far more likely I agree) I would have little issue with them being unmasked.
Maybe the seating arrangement is the way forward?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Its a shift from their responsibility to your (the guest's) responsibility. They want out of that business as much as possible. They are happy to take this guidance and tell people that its up to you. Come vaccinated or not, pick what you desire as to level of personal protection you feel necessary.... we (all the parks across the country) have losses to make up.
That’s fair, but I think they owe it to their guests to at least spell out what the new rules are. It’s poor to make a change as a banner on the top of the home page with no details and say it’s effective immediately. I will be honest, I don’t oppose the change from the CDC but I would not plan to bring my unvaccinated kids to a theme park where unvaccinated people are allowed to walk around without masks right now. In a little while we will get to more people vaccinated and lower community spread and then it becomes more tolerable. That’s just me personally.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That’s fair, but I think they owe it to their guests to at least spell out what the new rules are. It’s poor to make a change as a banner on the top of the home page with no details and say it’s effective immediately. I will be honest, I don’t oppose the change from the CDC but I would not plan to bring my unvaccinated kids to a theme park where unvaccinated people are allowed to walk around without masks right now. In a little while we will get to more people vaccinated and lower community spread and then it becomes more tolerable. That’s just me personally.

Yeah, I have been following the Hershey park social media and a lot of people have questions, and Hershey isn't providing answers. Not much time to get those answers since the park opens in 16 hours.

MrMcDuck

The problem I have with the new CDC guidance is our Governor prohibited "vaccine passports." Therefore, there is no way to tell who is actually vaccinated, and who is just an anti-mask, anti-vax nut job who wants to push boundaries by walking in and saying, "Hey, I'm vaccinated!" (aka lying, without concern for consequences.)

Others here have laid out the potential options. I feel I have no choice in theory but to assume everyone is not vaccinated.

In Florida, vaccines weren't even opened up to the under 40 crowd until April 5th. Even if a person got Pfizer that very day, they'd just barely be past the two week period after the second shot. And if they got moderna, they're still not officially fully vaccinated. We really are just rushing full speed ahead. And the message everyone will receive is 'masks are done'. Sad.

jmp85

It's not a narrative. I address the facts. There was some very good news from the CDC, from Chapek, and others: They are increasing capacity, masks will be gone soon, at least outdoors.

There was some interesting news: Demand is the SAME as 2019. That defeats your narrative that demand will remain down because of the lack of international guests.

Then there was news confirming my statement that they are having labor problems: Acknowledgement that 20% of employees are opting not to return.
Think about how hard it is to replace 1/5th of your staff practically overnight.

Those are the facts:
Same demand as 2019, but only 80% of the staff.

I spoke to someone who works for Patina -- the whole reason Space 220 isn't opening, is because of staff shortage.
Come on, he didn't say staffing was at 80% of what it was previously. He essentially said that of the furloughed employees, 80% had accepted Disney's offer to return to work. They could still be (and likely are) filling those positions with external hires.

havoc315

Come on, he didn't say staffing was at 80% of what it was previously. He essentially said that of the furloughed employees, 80% had accepted Disney's offer to return to work. They could still be (and likely are) filling those positions with external hires.

Of course they are. But that’s a tremendous number of employees to replace, and the Orlando labor shortage is well documented. That’s why restaurants are offering $1,000 bonuses, and why it’s impossible to get a dinner reservation at WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom