Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chomama

I wish them all the luck and gesundheit possible:...

there are many that have droned on for a year about how “intolerable” this has been and what they’re “losing” (important stuff...like proms 🙄 )...

but these people actually have been stretched to the extreme
Yes. It’s very very sad. I do think people who haven’t been personally impacted by Covid illness and death are less likely to change their behavior. Sadly I know 8 people that lost their lives to Covid so I am very cautious

Incomudro

Why should we care:
  1. Outdoor masking was treated the same as indoor masking which pounded into the minds of society that nowhere was safe. Coping during this event would have been much easier for some if mandates were indoor mask - Yes, Outdoor mask - No. So go outside and get some activity.
  2. Many small businesses went out of business as a result.
  3. Millions of dollars in fines were assessed based on failed science.
  4. The CDC did not vet the data. They failed in scientific due diligence.
  5. Peoples mobility was impaired because of failed science.
And the "nowhere is safe" message panicked the population.
I still see people driving their cars alone with masks on their faces.
I still pass the odd person on my bike trail walking alone with a mask on their face.
Last year, I heard people complain that little kids (kept out of school) were playing in front of their own homes.
Their own homes, that they should have stayed inside.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes. It’s very very sad. I do think people who haven’t been personally impacted by Covid illness and death are less likely to change their behavior. Sadly I know 8 people that lost their lives to Covid so I am very cautious
3...1 was not “old”. A physician in the 40s. Kids 11,8, 5

...so don’t throw stuff from morons on cable stations or Twitter at me...kindly, ladies and gentleman.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And the "nowhere is safe" message panicked the population.
I still pass the odd person on my bike trail walking alone with a mask on their face.
Last year, I heard people complain that little kids (kept out of school) were playing in front of their own homes.

stop. Stop parsing. The historical record is set...and it doesn’t care who you voted for. But it does notice how that went.

dreday3

Many people have survival bunkers so not a good argument.

After the mental/emotional/and physical stress caused over the past year, its way better to be overcautious and prepared. Expect the worst, hope for the best. If people did that, things would be so much better.

And boosters are just band-aids as we won't be able to eradicate which will just allow the virus to keep on mutating.

I'm just here to say...I don't know anyone with a survival bunker. 😐

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
There is no mutation that is proven to be resistant to the vaccine at any rate of significance.

Could one come in the future ?

Sure. Then we will have a booster.

An asteroid we don’t see coming may also hit the earth in a few months but I don’t see anyone building bunkers.
Noo we're gonna die! Asteroid will gonna hit the earth! NOOOO Is that true it's going to be happen or not?😭

Incomudro

My thought is because people can’t be trusted to put their masks back on once they get indoors. Not on vacation, at least. Tourist IQs plummet on vacation. This is something they’re avoiding, at least that’s my opinion. Maybe if people hadn’t needed their hands held every step of the way, this wouldn’t be an issue. But hindsight is 20/20 according to one’s eye exam.

Asking/requiring masks be put on indoors - say for rides or in the common areas of a hotel is the easiest part of mask enforcement.

BrianLo

I mean, it would stink for the people still waiting, but if y’all hit 55% or more in short order why not start redistributing second shots and completing courses faster? That seems to be the big time inflection of cases in Israel. I do like that you’re showing a demonstrated demand.

I do anticipate that will be the case. If demand starts to drop based on abundant supply, they will start shortening up the second dosing interval again.

I believe this was quite an effective strategy, ultimately. Particularly because we are actually in a wave, far more people were offered fairly decent coverage with a single shot to get started.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
No. That was sarcasm and a poor example of how the future isn't predictable.
So this is not gonna happen anytime in the future as no asteroid will be threat?

ImperfectPixie

So this is not gonna happen anytime in the future as no asteroid will be threat?
We don't know if it will ever happen, but the odds are very, very small.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We can argue about masks forever but honestly that’s old news to me.

I think we can all agree that we don’t need masks at all if we achieve a high rate of vaccination.

Would anyone here object to all mandates being removed if we reach 80% of total population vaccinated?

I know the next comment will be well we will never reach that level.

Ok cool look in the mirror, did you get vaccinated ?

If so great!

If not you are looking at the problem.
I’d say we don’t need to reach 80% of the population vaccinated to remove restrictions. We would need 95% of the population 12+ to get the vaccine to reach 80% of the population vaccinated. It’s possible we get somewhere between 70 and 80% of eligible Americans to get vaccinated by July. That would get us between 60 and 67% of the total population vaccinated. I think that gets it done. I’d like it to happen sooner, but people are dragging their feet.

Trauma

Noo we're gonna die! Asteroid will gonna hit the earth! NOOOO Is that true it's going to be happen or not?😭
I mean this truly. You are the best , but don’t worry you don’t need to ask goof goof about an asteroid. Nothing is coming.

I have a ton of DVC points stored up, when this is over and you can return to Disney without a mask let me know what resort you want to stay at. I would like nothing more than for them to welcome you home.

bryanfze55

I’d say we don’t need to reach 80% of the population vaccinated to remove restrictions. We would need 95% of the population 12+ to get the vaccine to reach 80% of the population vaccinated. It’s possible we get somewhere between 70 and 80% of eligible Americans to get vaccinated by July. That would get us between 60 and 67% of the total population vaccinated. I think that gets it done. I’d like it to happen sooner, but people are dragging their feet.

I love your optimism. Truly. But I don’t know that your thresholds are doable. Too much vaccine hesitancy. I’m sure some of that will wane but certainly a large amount of it won’t.

Incomudro

Some people don’t see nuance. It’s all black or white to them. This is a phenomenon infecting both sides of the aisle. Again, the whole thing was politicized.

My right leaning friends hate me because I got vaccinated ASAP.

My left leaning friends hate me because I don’t think you need a mask outside

You literally can’t be an independent thinker anymore and be popular. If you don’t check all the boxes for one particular side, you’re an “other.”
Drives me crazy how either "side" expects, even demands that you accept everything in their playbook.
Agree with this?
Then you must buy the entire package deal!

Wendy Pleakley

Issue still is...at least for Ontario, if you get your first shot this month, second appointment isn't until August (and not all adults are eligible yet). That's a heck of a gap...supply still being a problem. They are also going to mix vaccine types it seems...

Slowly improving though after a horrible start.

The numbers show that one vaccine alone is highly effective. The gap might impact being able to travel outside of Canada, but getting one shot into as many people as possible quickly appears to be a solid strategy.

Mixing doses isn't super likely either. I suspect Canada will get the minimum amount of AstraZeneca needed in the coming months for second doses, especially with the USA posed to share 60 million+ doses worldwide soon.

Patcheslee

That was specifically a theoretical exercise on worldwide response to a threat. Many possible impacts are found months if not many years in advance. 99942 Apophis is still the most known asteroid and NASA has calculated earth in the clear for the next 100 years. There's a better chance of everyone on this thread willing the lottery, than having a life ending asteroid hit anytime soon.

Trauma

I love your optimism. Truly. But I don’t know that your thresholds are doable. Too much vaccine hesitancy. I’m sure some of that will wane but certainly a large amount of it won’t.
Let’s say that is true. What’s the endgame then?
Do we just reopen without meeting whatever number is required for herd immunity?

Do we require vaccine passports ?

It seems to me no matter what we do a large portion of people are going to be very unhappy.

Unhappy means that it will take a long time to implement a meaningful solution.

So basically unless we are willing to tick off a large subset of the population we are stuck in a holding pattern.

Trauma

That was specifically a theoretical exercise on worldwide response to a threat. Many possible impacts are found months if not many years in advance. 99942 Apophis is still the most known asteroid and NASA has calculated earth in the clear for the next 100 years. There's a better chance of everyone on this thread willing the lottery, than having a life ending asteroid hit anytime soon.
So your saying there is a chance and masks will not prevent an asteroid strike. Got it.

Tony the Tigger

There is no mutation that is proven to be resistant to the vaccine at any rate of significance.

Could one come in the future ?

Sure. Then we will have a booster.

An asteroid we don’t see coming may also hit the earth in a few months but I don’t see anyone building bunkers.
There is certainty there will be more variants, it's just a matter of whether or not they are worse and where they are in the world before they get here, and if the new ones are resistant to the vaccines. That is nothing like the probability of an asteroid hitting earth.
Would anyone here object to all mandates being removed if we reach 80% of total population vaccinated?
Depends, and probably would vary from location to location. 80% across the US means little if a town in Arkansas is only 30%. I would want to see the new infections and deaths in my area.
I don’t want to hear but well yes but case counts and deaths blah blah.
Oops.
The endgame needs to be spelled out clearly and specifically.
I understand why some people want that, but I resent it. It shouldn't be necessary, and it's not so easy to spell out. We can guess what's going to happen between now and July, but we can't account for the unforeseen. Plenty of unforeseen has happened already.
I agree with you on those, they make no sense. Those folks would appear to be as misinformed as those who don't think they need one in a supermarket (though obviously less harmful.)
Wearing a mask for a profile pic is really stupid.
Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom