Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrebel3

They also need their time to get vaccinated "to make sure it's safe." But if *you* are vaccinated, you better whip that thing off and go back to life ASAP. No time for you to readjust your levels of comfort at your own speed.
That isn't the view of the anti-maskers. You can mask up as long as you want - even forever. But don't make me wait until you are comfortable before I can ditch the mask. "Comfort" does not equal "follow the science".

havoc315

I see no issue with anyone deciding to wear a mask for as long as they want. It’s ironic that people who wanted to drop all mask mandates often said “people can wear masks forever if they want as long as I don’t have to” but some are the same people who now are coming down on anyone wearing a mask if they are vaccinated.

From certain segments of people, there is a lot of contradictory messaging.
It should be local control! Oh, but if the local government wants masks, then it should be up to the State!
Private businesses should get to make their own decisions. Unless the private businesses want to require vaccination, then private businesses shouldn't get to make their own decisions.
Masking should solely be voluntary. But I'm going to demean anyone who chooses to wear a mask and create public pressure against mask wearing.
Science says masks are of very little value outdoors, so get rid of out door mask mandates. While the science says masks do help significantly indoors, get rid of the masks indoors anyway too!

I'm not supporting an eternal mask mandate. But the fact is, masks and other mitigation have significantly reduced the 2020-2021 regular flu season. They work. I will in all likelihood continue to voluntarily wear a mask in congested indoor settings (subways, airplanes, theaters) during flu season for the future.

As I said earlier, the end is near and the mask crusaders are quickly running out of stuff to complain about and crusade over.

There certainly are people who seem so emotionally invested in mitigation measures, that they are slow to give them up. Some of it is pure neuroticism. (personally, I'm ready to see most mitigation go except for indoor masking). And on the opposite extreme, you have those looking to create an anti-science, anti-elite, anti-government culture war. So they will look for anything to fight.

I was being sarcastic when I mentioned an executive order banning the wearing of masks in public soon, but it would give people a reason to continue the fight and I could think of a few politicians who are sleazy enough to actually do it. Some people just aren’t ready to give up the conflict.

GaBoy

Just wanted to say YAY HORSES! (Learned to ride when I was 3 and later took care of 5 show horses.)
Yes. Big part of my life for the past 40 years. Always owned at least one since 15 when I competed as a roper. Then groomed racehorses in my 20s and wrangled for guides in the 4 corners area. Went to farriers school in Montana then shod horses for the next 12 years. It was my last ditch attempt to actually earn real money in that business. I finally had to get a "real" job and worked my way into my present design engineer role. I do miss them now. I haven't had one since my company moved me to the coast. I am a little "broke down" now from hitting the ground in my youth so its probably just as well. But I get a little misty looking at them as they go by me at MK. I lost a few horse friends along the way.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Yes. Big part of my life for the past 40 years. Always owned at least one since 15 when I competed as a roper. Then groomed racehorses in my 20s and wrangled for guides in tge 4 corners area. Went to farriers school in Montana then shod horses for the next 12 years. It was my last ditch attempt to actually earn real money in that business. I finally had to get a "real" job and worked my way into my present design engineer role. I do miss them now. I haven't had one since my company moved me to the coast. I am a little "broke down" now from hitting the ground in my youth so its probably just as well. But I get a little misty looking at them as they go by me at MK. I lost a few horse friends a long the way.
I miss them terribly, too. The mare I took care of would lick your face like a dog if she liked you...she was a love. I was never fortunate enough to own one of my own, but spent the first 20 years of my life riding as often as I could and working with them for a good chunk of that.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The first issue we run into is that a few pro mask people are fanatical about it. (As are a few anti mask people.)

We clearly have a few on this thread who think, “All of you should wear masks until I think it’s safe not to.”

The second issue we run into is that a few insist that we “follow the science.” But this seems to apply only when the science agrees with what they think.

I think all you’re seeing is a bit of payback.
Exactly. Fighting just to fight.

The science hasn’t changed. The vaccines are highly effective. Masks are also effective. Elderly and people with pre-existing conditions are at much higher risk for severe outcome if infected. It is possible to have a breakthrough infection even if vaccinated and that possibility decreases every day as more people get vaccinated. So if an elderly person who is at high risk (like my mother or Joe Biden) chooses to wear a mask outdoors and in public even after being vaccinated to be extra careful that’s not being anti-science or anti-vax it’s being cautious until community spread comes down more.

The CDC sets guidelines that are based on science. There’s a difference between public policy and pure science. The science says there’s a remote risk of breakthrough infection even after being fully vaccinated. Public policy says that despite that risk it’s ok to get together because we can’t wait until the risk is zero to change policy. So because the policy says it’s ok to not wear a mask outdoors when fully vaccinated that doesn’t mean there’s no risk or that people should have to take their mask off.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

If masks and sundry other restrictions are still important. Can anyone explain this?

I hope it lasts. So far so good. The vaccination percentage is not great and TX has some of the largest urban centers in the country with population density. If a variant takes hold there we could see a spike similar to Michigan recently. Hopefully they ramp up vaccinations before that happens.

hopemax

Honest question. Are there places in the US where adults can't get the vaccine right now?
I don't see what your question has to do with my comment. Availability has nothing to do with comfort. My comment was akin to things like how long it takes someone to start dating again after a breakup. There is definitely judgement toward people who are vaccinated, taking their time to jump back into the pool.

FormerMember

I hope it lasts. So far so good. The vaccination percentage is not great and TX has some of the largest urban centers in the country with population density. If a variant takes hold there we could see a spike similar to Michigan recently. Hopefully they ramp up vaccinations before that happens.
So what’s the explanation though?

drizgirl

I don't see what your question has to do with my comment. Availability has nothing to do with comfort. My comment was akin to things like how long it takes someone to start dating again after a breakup. There is definitely judgement toward people who are vaccinated, taking their time to jump back into the pool.
It has everything to do with it.

I will wait, and am waiting, for everyone to have access to the vaccine. I'm not interested in waiting around while others think it through. Once someone has access, the paradigm shifts and it's on them to get it or stay in and protect themselves if they aren't comfortable getting it.

No vaccine availability is a societal problem. Vaccine hesitancy is an individual problem.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I'm afraid of new variants in the future...I don't want any more spikes by July or fall/winter....:(😢

GaBoy

My company (SE region wide employs about 31,000) has just announced $100 gift cards for fully vaccinated employees as an incentive. Retroactive for the vaccinated and to push those on the fence or just waiting. They also comment it is an effort to plan for 2022 vaccinations so probably predicting a booster and to offer it at the company health fairs.

havoc315

So what’s the explanation though?

Same explanation as Governor Noem in South Dakota bragging in Spring/Summer 2020 about how great South Dakota was doing without any mitigation mandates. Only to face an explosion in the fall.

So much of the disease is seasonal, some of it is dumb luck. Having a period of low infection doesn't mean you're doing things right. And high case counts doesn't necessarily mean everything is being done wrong. There are MANY factors that affect the disease spread.
We control those aspects that we can control -- whether cases are high or low, mitigation brings them lower.

I'm thrilled that cases are down nationwide. They were down nationwide last spring as well. (Again, the very strong seasonal effect). They started to spike in mid to late summer in some southern states, then in mid to late fall, they spiked nationwide. Hopefully, we vaccinate enough to avoid this pattern repeating. But I do suspect at least mini spikes in areas of low vaccination.

corsairk09

Between statements from Dr. Fauci, President Biden (70% by July 4), and Mayor Demings (no masks indoors or outdoors at 70%, and who discussed this with park operators), I think corporate Disney is working towards ending its mask requirement by July 4, which is less than 2 months away.

Certainly before the 50th anniversary celebration on October 1.
I just can't imagine that Disney wants the 50th to be celebrated with masks. I mean...... the 50th anniversary is going to get a TON of press and will be a promotional goldmine for years. Do they really want all the pictures etc. to have people masked and distanced? I'm with you, no masks my Oct. 1st. How long before that? Who the heck knows.

havoc315

I just can't imagine that Disney wants the 50th to be celebrated with masks. I mean...... the 50th anniversary is going to get a TON of press and will be a promotional goldmine for years. Do they really want all the pictures etc. to have people masked and distanced? I'm with you, no masks my Oct. 1st. How long before that? Who the heck knows.

They've already been putting masks in all the promotional material.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

It isn't really a question of the state itself ramping up. The vaccine is widely available. For example, all CVS pharmacies in the state are allowing walk-ins. There is availability at doctor offices. Schools are partnering with hospitals and clinics. For the urban areas you speak of, it really hasn't been more convenient than it is today. It boils down to people taking this opportunity and getting the shot. The state has been involved in some PR and marketing efforts to get the message out. We will get there...40% with at least one dose. Not the best state, but not horrible..especially given how diverse the population is.

FormerMember

Same explanation as Governor Noem in South Dakota bragging in Spring/Summer 2020 about how great South Dakota was doing without any mitigation mandates. Only to face an explosion in the fall.

So much of the disease is seasonal, some of it is dumb luck. Having a period of low infection doesn't mean you're doing things right. And high case counts doesn't necessarily mean everything is being done wrong. There are MANY factors that affect the disease spread.
We control those aspects that we can control -- whether cases are high or low, mitigation brings them lower.

I'm thrilled that cases are down nationwide. They were down nationwide last spring as well. (Again, the very strong seasonal effect). They started to spike in mid to late summer in some southern states, then in mid to late fall, they spiked nationwide. Hopefully, we vaccinate enough to avoid this pattern repeating. But I do suspect at least mini spikes in areas of low vaccination.
Dumb luck? That’s your explanation?

I assume Michigan in March was just bad luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom