Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobWDW1971

One thing you are missing from the calculation is that dead is dead. You don’t come back. An economic downturn can be very bad, but the economy will recover. Let’s say for argument sake it takes 5 years for the economy to fully recover, in 5 years time we as a country will be financially back to where we were pre-virus. If we chose to favor the economy now and just let more people die in 5 years those people are still dead. Would some of them have died anyway in those 5 years, yes but not everyone who would die would be old and sick. We also have no idea what the impact to the economy will really be. The stock market will recover. There’s a lot of money sitting on the sidelines right now just waiting for a sign that the bottom has hit. Small businesses and some individuals may fair worse, but like 2001 and 2008 jobs will come back and unemployment will drop eventually.

Fully understand that position - but it doesn't address the point of the conversation. By definition, and I assume you would agree with this, every strategy does not have an equal outcome. And I'm sure you would agree that every strategy will affect the economy both short-term and long-term very differently. And I'm sure you would agree that different strategies will actually save different amounts of people.

Then the discussion still remains is THIS strategy providing the best return on that impact? Your post simply implies that we're doing something, it will help (undefined), and the economy will recover (speculative and timeline impossible to know). That is not a strategy.

And to be really callous since you mentioned the dead, you are also not considering that many of the elderly we are "saving" will be dead very soon anyway. When we are talking about 80 and 90 year olds with pre-existing conditions being among the dead, you have to factor in the actual years and what condition of life you have "saved".

Using an extreme example to make the point, if someone came to you two months ago when you had never heard of COVID-19, and said "Hey, we have a new federal program where the goal is to temporarily extend the lives of 70+ year olds suffering from pre-existing conditions and it will cost approximately $100 billion of taxpayer money" I doubt you would have signed up for that and thought they were insane. But that is exactly to some extent what we are doing.

Last edited:

21stamps

I mean if you believe in conspiracy theories.... all the governments agreeing to come together to fight a “new and scary” disease that will lower the world population and force everyone into submitting to isolation would definitely support your theory.

I don’t personally believe that.... I think it was careless treatment of animals in a unsanitary market that got way out of hand and spread way quicker than anyone thought.

“Only with doctors referral”

Which is nearly impossible to get. There is extremely strict criteria.

Rimmit

That’s what’s weird here. I live in a relatively small “city”, where many of the residents work for P&G, Luxotica, or GE.. these are large companies with many people who travel often for work, within the US and internationally.. but we have ZERO known cases here. Cincinnati has ZERO known cases. One county here has has had positives.. but all related to each other, not in serious condition.

So are people just running around with mild conditions.. or have symptoms not hit yet??

My brother is a med/peds doc in Covington(across the river from Cinci, and also where the cinci airport is for those not familiar with the geography of northern KY, and OH)for St E. He has the same restrictions as I have regarding covid testing. If they are flu and RSV negative send home and self isolate unless relevant travel history or getting admitted.

They just aren’t testing. The one case was in Kenton County at St E Ft Thomas.

Josh Hendy

There's no way of knowing without extensive testing. And don't forget those who will carry the virus but be asymptomatic.
This is why I am angry with the jurisdictions which because of incompetence (or to be more generous, bad guesswork), got caught flat-footed in the last month with a far from adequate number of test kits and lab testing capability. It's virtually impossible to learn anything about virus hotspots, infection rates, hospitalization rates or mortality rates if there isn't a really good statistical sample. Or as Tedros at WHO said recently, "You have to test, test, test, test."

21stamps

My brother is a med/peds doc in Covington(across the river from Cinci, and also where the cinci airport is for those not familiar with the geography of northern KY, and OH)for St E. He has the same restrictions as I have regarding covid testing. If they are flu and RSV negative send home and self isolate unless relevant travel history or getting admitted.

They just aren’t testing. The one case was in Kenton County at St E Ft Thomas.

Exactly what I keep hearing! So frustrating :(

There’s a positive case in Ft Thomas now?

TDogg76

My prediction is Disney will not reopen until the Fall- Probably Labor Day weekend...and by then...I don’t even want to know what they will be charging to make up for lost revenue!

21stamps

Yes. It was confirmed today.

Campbell and Butler.. but no Boone, Hamilton, or Warren. Something is too strange. Either each case is very remote, and isolated themselves.. or no one is showing serious symptoms in the ‘0 confirmed’ counties.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fully understand that position - but it doesn't address the point of the conversation. By definition, and I assume you would agree with this, every strategy does not have an equal outcome. And I'm sure you would agree that every strategy will affect the economy both short-term and long-term very differently. And I'm sure you would agree that different strategies will actually save different amounts of people.

Then the discussion still remains is THIS strategy providing the best return on that impact? Your post simply implies that we're doing something, it will help (undefined), and the economy will recover (speculative and timeline impossible to know). That is not a strategy.

And to be really callous since you went there, you are also not considering that many of the elderly we are "saving" will be dead very soon anyway. When we are talking about 80 and 90 year olds with pre-existing conditions being among the dead, you have to factor in the actual years and what condition of live you have "saved".
I don’t get how what’s being done is not a strategy. Government leaders are taking all of the available information from all of the experts and whats happening in other countries and doing their best to determine the likely outcome if various strategies are put into action. The economic impact is certainly taken into account in any of those decisions. That’s why after the first case we didn’t immediately go into shelter in place. As the disease progressed further more actions were taken. Doing nothing and hoping the expert projections are false or over stated in the name of the economy is not a strategy.

As far as the idea of “victims of the virus being elderly anyway” goes, with that logic why treat anyone over 65 for anything...just let them all go. Medicare costs the country roughly $750B a year. That’s all money that could help boost the economy for everyone else if we refuse to treat the elderly.

ImperfectPixie

Campbell and Butler.. but no Boone, Hamilton, or Warren. Something is too strange. Either each case is very remote, and isolated themselves.. or no one is showing serious symptoms in the ‘0 confirmed’ counties.
We're seeing weird patterns here, too. Cases all over the state, but two counties, right in the middle...nothing. I don't believe that there's no cases there.

21stamps

We're seeing weird patterns here, too. Cases all over the state, but two counties, right in the middle...nothing. I don't believe that there's no cases there.

The strangest thing is, I would have expected both Warren and Hamilton counties to have a higher infection rate than the 2 counties who have a confirmed case/cases. We’re all on top of each other too, people living in one and working in another.

ImperfectPixie

The strangest thing is, I would have expected both Warren and Hamilton counties to have a higher infection rate than the 2 counties who have a confirmed case/cases. We’re all on top of each other too, people living in one and working in another.
I don't know anything about the population of those two counties to say anything about density or anything, but the rest of the state is showing typical population/cases patterns - the more dense the population, the more cases. My county has pretty low population (in relation to the city and directly outside of it, of course), so I suspect as testing ramps up we'll start to see a jump in positives. It doesn't help that our state DPH only updates their maps and charts once a week. (The Google/Reddit map I posted seems to be more current)

21stamps

I don't know anything about the population of those two counties to say anything about density or anything, but the rest of the state is showing typical population/cases patterns - the more dense the population, the more cases. My county has pretty low population (in relation to the city and directly outside of it, of course), so I suspect as testing ramps up we'll start to see a jump in positives. It doesn't help that our state DPH only updates their maps and charts once a week. (The Google/Reddit map I posted seems to be more current)

It’s decently sized metro area with a population of around 2.3 million people.

ImperfectPixie

It’s decently sized metro area with a population of around 2.3 million people.
HA! Crossed wires...I was referring to the density of the two counties in my state that aren't showing any cases. But now that you mention it, 2.3 million people who work/live in close proximity...I suspect they either haven't tested anyone yet, or no one has severe enough symptoms to seek medical treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom