Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

By that time, the vast majority of cases (probably 90% or more) will be people who chose not to be vaccinated and 99% of the fatalities will be people who chose not to be vaccinated. Once extremely effective protection from a disease is available to anybody who wants it, it is no longer a public health crisis, it's a private health issue.
That's the ad, start the marketing machine now, get the CDC to update it dashboard, states too.

Instead of just publishing Cases, Hospitalization, and Deaths. Publish each of these for Unvaccinated and Vaccinated. The number and nice bar graphs where the Vaccinated column is practically invisible it's so much lower in comparison. Where the order of magnitude is is slapping someone in the face.

Replace this (CDC numbers):
Date 7 Day Case Average7 Day Death Average
May 3 202148,493658
May 2 202149,192663
May 1 202149,653640
Apr 30 202150,543633
Apr 29 202151,782635
Apr 28 202152,528628
Apr 27 202154,010626

With something like this (numbers made up):
Date 7 Day Case Average Unvaccinated7 Day Case Average Vaccinated7 Day Death Average Unvaccinated7 Day Death Average Vaccinated
May 3 202148,49306580
May 2 202149,19216630
May 1 202149,65306400
Apr 30 202150,54306330
Apr 29 202151,78206350
Apr 28 202152,52816280
Apr 27 202154,01006260

Alternate it on the billboards with the vaccinated metric and fireworks.

sullyinMT

I'm familiar with Disneyland (don't mean to sound snarky) but there are ways for Disney to have hired even 20 more characters to dispense around the WDW parks. But they don't see the need.
The limited characters are incredibly charming, too! Having Pooh chasing butterflies was a legitimate highlight for our 11 year old this past trip.

The cavalcades are nice, actually. I do hope they bring M&G back when feasible (and I really doubt they wouldn’t), but the tiny parades are a nice way to wave and snap a pic without waiting too long for some of the more high demand or rare faces (Moana and Mulan, anyone?). Or, you know, saying a quick hello to Piglet without eating at CP is a huge plus.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
That's the ad, start the marketing machine now, get the CDC to update it dashboard, states too.

Instead of just publishing Cases, Hospitalization, and Deaths. Publish each of these for Unvaccinated and Vaccinated. The number and nice bar graphs where the Vaccinated column is practically invisible it's so much lower in comparison. Where the order of magnitude is is slapping someone in the face.

May 3 202148,493658
May 2 202149,192663
May 1 202149,653640
Apr 30 202150,543633
Apr 29 202151,782635
Apr 28 202152,528628
Apr 27 202154,010626

Date 7 Day Case Average Unvaccinated7 Day Case Average Vaccinated7 Day Death Average Unvaccinated7 Day Death Average Vaccinated
May 3 202148,49306580
May 2 202149,19216630
May 1 202149,65306400
Apr 30 202150,54306330
Apr 29 202151,78206350
Apr 28 202152,52816280
Apr 27 202154,01006260

Ok, this is a fantastic idea.

Except that even 1 death in the vaccinated category will fuel a thousand YouTubes.

sullyinMT

May 3 202148,493658
May 2 202149,192663
May 1 202149,653640
Apr 30 202150,543633
Apr 29 202151,782635
Apr 28 202152,528628
Apr 27 202154,010626

May 3 202148,49306580
May 2 202149,19216630
May 1 202149,65306400
Apr 30 202150,54306330
Apr 29 202151,78206350
Apr 28 202152,52816280
Apr 27 202154,01006260

It also needs to be a forced YouTube ad that can’t be skipped. And lead the prime time news of EVERY network. Yes, every. Single. One.

GaBoy

I don't think it's going to truly end as I think Covid is here to stay like the Flu is. Your chances of getting Covid are low if you are vaccinated.
Kind of like the 1918 Flu, right? Aren't we vaccinating for the 4th mutation of that virus. Just something I read when I Googled the simple question, "How did the 1918 flu end?". the answer was just as simple.... back then.... it burned itself out, in a nasty way. Thank God for vaccines.
I have told people that I know are resisting the vaccine, that they can get their antibodies the hard way or the easy way, but eventually, they will get them. I mentioned that we all eventually get the flu at least once, why would this coronavirus be any different? It will always hide in pockets like every other major plague.
In that search, I ran across the article stating that in some form or fashion, it is still with us in the form of H1N1. But I am not a medical person, just an engineer so I am already outside my comfort zone. Other, smarter people can correct me, I'm sure I've misstated this or oversimplified it.

Jrb1979

Kind of like the 1918 Flu, right? Aren't we vaccinating for the 4th mutation of that virus. Just something I read when I Googled the simple question, "How did the 1918 flu end?". the answer was just as simple.... back then.... it burned itself out, in a nasty way. Thank God for vaccines.
I have told people that I know are resisting the vaccine, that they can get their antibodies the hard way or the easy way, but eventually, they will get them. I mentioned that we all eventually get the flu at least once, why would this coronavirus be any different? It will always hide in pockets like every other major plague.
In that search, I ran across the article stating that in some form or fashion, it is still with us in the form of H1N1. But I am not a medical person, just an engineer so I am already outside my comfort zone. Other, smarter people can correct me, I'm sure I've misstated this or oversimplified it.
It may or may not burn out, we don't really know. The reason I said it will be around is due to the low vaccine percentages in a lot places in the US. Having pockets of people not vaccinated will keep Covid around longer then it needs to be. IMO the whole country should be doing what Orange county Florida is doing. Mitigations stay in place til 70% of the population are vaccinated. Instead having pockets is good enough.

The reason I say the things I do is where I am we have restrictions in place til ICUs come down and people vaccinated go up. The good news here vaccine hesitancy is low. They opened it up to many places for 18+ and appointments a full.

Tony the Tigger

File under “we don’t know what we don’t know.”

The flu doesn’t give people diabetes. COVID-19 can.

Last edited:

HarperRose

Had another family discussion about the vaccine. My family all had COVID last august with mild to moderate symptoms. Some in my family are hesitant getting the vaccine. Reasoning is if there is long term effects and believing that we all have the antibodies. Doing some research online in regards to antibodies from getting COVID seems to be “Not sure how long antibodies last”. Brother is saying to wait until end of year to see if any negative effects show from the vaccine. Others say to wait until scientifically it is proven that antibodies are only temporary from getting COVID and then to get the vaccine. I am going back and forth between getting it ASAP for the greater good as we are being told vs waiting. The problem is I can’t find enough facts against the “wait, not yet” camp of thinking other then “get it for the greater good”. That’s not enough to change the mind of a family who got covid,and got through it (thank God).
This is real situations that people are grappling with.
I have a niece and nephew-in-law who had Covid last fall. Both of them are refusing to be vaccinated because they "want to have another kid in a few years." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The unbelievable part is she's a RN!!

Nubs70

I have a niece and nephew-in-law who had Covid last fall. Both of them are refusing to be vaccinated because they "want to have another kid in a few years." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The unbelievable part is she's a RN!!
Ask RN's if all doctors are brilliant. They will tell you that some doctors are very good and some are dangerous while most are adequate. It is quite reasonable that RN's are skeptical.

HarperRose

As for someone that just got back from 9 nights, you are correct, the weather is unbelievably hot for half those days. I was surprised at the mask wearing though.. I think I saw 2 people the whole week lower their mask. I was pleasantly surprised.Social distancing was another thing . Practically none at the parks. Some rides a bit better then others but mostly 3 ft and closer from what I encountered. I had to laugh though at the plexiglass separating part of lines but in other spots, even in the same line, there’s about a foot or less between yourself and the people going the other way with no plexiglass.
We had a good time with the lines being on average 15 minutes shorter then what was posted but.. this is strictly my opinion.. if anyone can wait for their next trip until masks are gone, more things are open..etc.. will be so much better. Masks are brutal in that heat. I think we had 5 days in a row of 92 or better, with it feeling like close to 100 or more and it’s not enjoyable, I don’t care what anyone says.
Before anyone asks.. I usually go November through February but was in a bind with DVC and points that needed to be used. Also airfare had to be used by July so.. we did it.
It is a relief knowing you are fully vaccinated.
I agree with you. When I went in early March, the weather was sunny and 75, no humidity. It was beautiful.

Wearing a mask outside for a long period even at those cooler temps was unpleasant. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it is now with warmer temps and rising humidity. :bored:

AEfx

Once NY/NJ/CT and the rest of New England and PA and even OH start dropping restrictions and drop mask mandates it will be hard for WDW to continue requiring it. Most of those states are dropping other covI’d restrictions in May and at least PA has set a vaccination threshold for mask mandates.

The attitudes across the country on this seem to be rather diverse. In New England, masks aren't the controversial political hot potatoes they seem to be elsewhere. Nobody likes the situation, but in traditional New England fashion, it just is what it is. We do what we have to do. I don't know anyone personally who sees it as some affront to "freedom!!" - it's just a fact of life we deal with, and move on.

Masks indoors are not going anywhere any time soon here - MA, ME, and VT have reaffirmed that in the past week in their newest orders. They are slightly unrestricting outdoor if you can remain social distanced, or are vaccinated at a very small outdoor, private gathering. As far as I can tell, NH for whatever reason is the only state up here that let theirs expire, yet in the notice still said "The lifting of the mandate does not diminish the importance of wearing a face mask." And in response, many stores, chains, banks, etc. in NH have already announced that they are going to continue requiring masks in their establishments, regardless of them being ordered or not.

sullyinMT

I'm related to a not-very-bright nurse, too. She's anti-vaxx AND hasn't ever addressed the special needs of one of her sons (no one is allowed to talk about it).
I’m married to a BSN, CCRN who has led an incredible clinical career and left bedside for industry pursuits almost five years ago. I work with nurses every day, and naturally have a number of them in my circle of friends. It will never cease to amaze me the spectrum on which the profession exists.

I said it a few months back, but the level of education a nurse has attained, and more importantly their motivation for being a nurse matter. Do they want to improve the quality of life of those they serve, or do they want a guaranteed job to pay off their first - less lucrative - degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom