Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Harlem

And the reason I don't see this impacting WDW at all is because most visiting the parks do not live in Orange County.

Expect the 3ft thing at Disney sooner than you think, who do you think is driving the changes? Go look at the county's coronavirus/economic task force members.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Correct, In NJ it was very short-lived and the governor reversed himself quite quickly. Initially only large box stores got exemptions, while mom and pop stores were unable to and had to close. I know at least 4 small shops in my neighborhood that were forced to closed due to an EO, when a comparable box store was not affected.

I don't remember it ever being that way, nor have I been able to find an EO that was worded that way.

FormerMember

So you don’t believe In state’s rights then? A Federal set of guidelines would be much better for Covid. Our government isn’t setup that way.
I’m not sure on federalism. I think I like it. but that’s not the point. The point is, these restrictions ARE arbitrary. In NJ we went from 25 to 35% capacity at one point. That’s not arbitrary?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Point is that we do not know the long-term impacts of any of these vaccines. In spite of that unknown fact, we want to get our lives back.

We have been told that if we vaccinate, we get our lives back. So we have accepted the risk, vaccinated, and we are then told we can't get our lives back until some time in the future. When pressed, the "smartest man in the world" changes to goal out of personal opinion.

Yes, we do get our lives back... when a significant number of people are vaccinated such that cases, hospitalizations, and death rates are clearly and definitively declining.

We're almost there. It's being impeded by the "vaccine hesitant" crowed.

Were you expecting that the first few tens of thousands of people vaccinated last December could just start getting right next to other people without wearing a mask because they were vaccinated while the other 99.99% of the population still had to wear masks?

The process isn't a switch you can flip and it's all done. It takes time to vaccinate 250 million people.

JD80

I’m not sure on federalism. I think I like it. but that’s not the point. The point is, these restrictions ARE arbitrary. In NJ we went from 25 to 35% capacity at one point. That’s not arbitrary?

I mean all number are arbitrary in the middle of the pandemic and are usually derived from best guesses. I mean you don't really have the time to study the impact of 25% and 35% capacity numbers for building during the middle of a pandemic when 4000 people were dying a day.

I basically boils down to, the less people out and about doing non-essential business, the less chance for community spread.

(I just moved out of NJ toward the end of last year)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Coming shortly from Mayor Demings -

View attachment 552646
Mayor Dennings....clearly a reader here :)

Can someone get a copy of these displays over to Joe Biden and Fauci. This is exactly the guidelines we need at the national level. Then you put all the pressure on those unvaccinated to get in and get it done. Really solid plan. A+ for Mr. mayor.

Last edited:

sullyinMT

Starting now - watch live

Much better watch that the Zoom meetings we all watched for the reopening of the parks.

His message was quite clear for gatherings as they get bigger: assume people not in your party are unvaccinated. I don't expect any of the theme parks to drop masks in the very near term, so that they can increase capacity via 3ft spacing first. Apparently Dr Pino thinks the county will hit that 50% threshold in about three weeks. It does, imo, provide a very clear carrot to get younger people vaccinated and break the current plateau in jabs.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The death per capita in Texas is 11.3% higher than California. In Florida, it's about 4.6% higher. Maybe to you that's insignificant, but I'm sure the family and friends of those extra dead people wish they weren't among those extra deaths. In Texas, that works out to 5,106 extra deaths vs. what it would be if they had CA's death rate. In Florida, it's 1,530 extra deaths.

Also, saying that CA has the highest cases is a factually correct but intellectually dishonest argument because it ignores the size of the population. TX and FL both outpace CA in cases per million people. In fact, CA's cases per million is better than the national average while both TX and FL are worse than the national average.

I understand your point, but there are other factors involved. For one, Florida has an older population than California, which would contribute to more deaths.

Overall, yes CA is "slightly" lower on a few of those metrics, but it still is fascinating to see how completely different approaches almost ended up with similar results. One thing that has changed my opinion since are lockdowns. Don't want to de-rail here but lockdowns work of course when they are occurring, but whenever you open up slightly there is always an untick, so long-term we know they don't work.

This is all really a crazy experiment and I am curious to see the data and studies of the effects of the actions we took after this thing is squashed.

Chip Chipperson

It takes time to get enough people vaccinated. Let's not forget that children under age 16 can't be vaccinated at all yet.

Some people just want to play the victim. They want instant special treatment for being vaccinated while also opposing any sort of requirement for proof of vaccination, which would logically be the only way to determine who has or hasn't been vaccinated and, therefore, who is or isn't entitle to the perks of having received the vaccine. We're supposed to just take people at their word - because the people out there who do things like wear their mask below their nose on purpose, intentionally don't wear a mask at all and then get in the face of the poor store employee trying to enforce the mask rule, lie to family and friends about whether or not they've been exposed to someone who tested positive, or simply refuse to assist in contact tracing efforts would NEVER lie and say they got the vaccine when they didn't just so they could walk around maskless in a crowd like there's no pandemic at all.

I'm not necessarily saying anyone here subscribes to those conflicting points of view, but I have encountered plenty of people who do. Not surprisingly, they often fall back on the types or arguments that instantly discredit their stance like comparing vaccine passports to Nazi Germany. Sadly, that's a tactic that both sides of the political fence use when convenient, yet they all fail to see their hypocrisy when calling out the other side for doing it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What policy isn’t arbitrary. Why is a speed limit 55 on some highways and 75 on others. There are base reasons for the difference but 55 vs 56 is arbitrary. Same goes for drunk driving. Why can I blow 0.07 and be OK but 0.08 and I’m in jail. Someone has to set a guideline. In your example NJ set one limit and NY set another and then FL said no restrictions at all.

FormerMember

What policy isn’t arbitrary. Why is a speed limit 55 on some highways and 75 on others. There are base reasons for the difference but 55 vs 56 is arbitrary. Same goes for drunk driving. Why can I blow 0.07 and be OK but 0.08 and I’m in jail. Someone has to set a guideline. In your example NJ set one limit and NY set another and then FL said no restrictions at all.
So we agree. I’m glad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom