Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkadotdress

That’s good news. Wasn’t the goal to administer the shots quicker so the shots used would be a higher percentage of shots delivered? The big complaint was the states were holding back too many shots. Seems like they are doing that better if they are using all of the available shots.

It’s definitely way behind. I want To know how things are going but I almost feel like that real time tracker is more of a problem than a benefit. Easy to cherry pick a number and write up a negative article or tweet. From the places that have shared more detailed information it seems like the states are doing a better job than reported of using all available doses.

Mayor of NYC says they’ll have to cancel appts if more isn’t received soon....

Disney Experience

The FDOH now has a vaccine locator tool on its website -

"Florida has many sites providing COVID-19 vaccine. Use the vaccine finder to find a site near you. Supplies are limited and appointments may be required.

At this time, vaccine is available for:
  • Persons 65 years of age and older.
  • Health care personnel with direct patient contact.
  • Residents and staff of long-term care facilities."
Only shows health department as a possible future appointment site in Brevard. Does not mention Health First or other sites in county that accept appointments for vaccine.

For citrus county it does show Publix as it should for that county.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Until we have a surplus of vaccines there’s really no reason to offer any incentive, most people I know who are on the fence are worried about the speed it was approved, that problem should solve itself as more and more people know someone who has received the vaccine with no, or minimal, complications.

My age group is still months away from being eligible for a vaccine, it makes no sense to bribe people who don’t want it when there’s tens of millions patiently waiting who do want to get it.
It’s a long term plan. The $1,400 stimulus checks will likely be approved this week. That money is out the door, not tied to vaccines. We will eventually hit the point where enough vaccines are available for 100% of Americans. At that point if enough people don’t take them we don’t reach herd immunity and we don’t end the recession and get the economy ramped up. Something like a $500 stimulus tied to vaccination acts as a traditional economic stimulus to jump start the economy but pays for itself by also bringing us to herd immunity faster and speeding economic recovery.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 162 new reported deaths, along with 1 Non-Florida Resident death.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.04.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.04.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.04.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.03.42 PM.png

correcaminos

What concerns me about the side effects is that it does knock people out for a day and for some that means taking off a day of work they might not be willing to take off. I'd like to see more companies offer time off for getting the vaccine. Not so much to induce demand but to help spread it out so we don't get bottlenecks as people wait for Friday to have time off.
Again, only 15% roughly have side effects that are more severe. I am a mom who does computer work at home while helping to home school my kid and actual physical work at a church all during the trial. Neither time was I remotely bad enough to take a day off.

I think the point is there are some people who don’t think Covid is a big deal...it’s just the flu...etc... and so they may not be interested in enduring a day or 2 of mild discomfort when they are convinced the virus is no big deal for them. Adding in an economic incentive could motivate them to do it. Sure, it would be great if people just got the vaccine for the greater good and for the economy but for some people that’s just not enough.

Recent polling still showing only 39% of Trump voters are expected to get the vaccine with 4% already vaccinated. Not sure the motivation of all of the other 57% who won’t get it, but a big part is likely driven by his constant downplayimg of the virus for almost a year now. If you are convinced it’s no big deal you aren’t likely going to change your mind now. Those people are the ones you may reach with the carrot.

I know a guy who falls into this. It's only a cold. We screwed ourselves. Vaccines won't help. Cannot make me get them. Blah blah blah... they are real and truly scare me most.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Mayor of NYC says they’ll have to cancel appts if more isn’t received soon....
That’s the logistical nightmare this process represents. I actually think the smart play was holding back a reserve for that situation. Simple example: I have a reserve of 10,000 doses, I am expecting 3,000 doses to arrive this week so I schedule 3,000 appointments. When the shipment arrives I only get 2,000 doses. Instead of cancelling on 1,000 people I dip into the reserve which drops to 9,000. The next week I am expected to get 3,000 doses but I only schedule 2,000 appointments and if 3,000 doses arrive I have an extra 1,000 to put into my reserve bringing it back up to 10,000. That plan makes sense to me. The problem is the public found out states were not using 100% of doses and flipped out. This thread alone had numerous people upset with the percent of doses used vs received and I’d say we are a pretty level headed bunch. The general reaction on Twitter and even the mainstream media was much more harsh. States reacted by attempting to ramp up vaccinations and not hold doses back but then you rely on shipments to always be 100% as expected. That will never happen.

sullyinMT

What concerns me about the side effects is that it does knock people out for a day and for some that means taking off a day of work they might not be willing to take off. I'd like to see more companies offer time off for getting the vaccine. Not so much to induce demand but to help spread it out so we don't get bottlenecks as people wait for Friday to have time off.
You raise a good point. Anecdotally, my wife’s GYN office was doing just that. The staff all worked together to lay out their schedule and their vaccine appointments so that they could space out days off and maintain patient care.
It might be harder to do at, say, a large retailer who is relying on schedules of a couple hundred people PLUS the schedule of an outside clinic/vaccine site. But it could be done to a degree.

Disney Experience

That’s the logistical nightmare this process represents. I actually think the smart play was holding back a reserve for that situation. Simple example: I have a reserve of 10,000 doses, I am expecting 3,000 doses to arrive this week so I schedule 3,000 appointments. When the shipment arrives I only get 2,000 doses. Instead of cancelling on 1,000 people I dip into the reserve which drops to 9,000. The next week I am expected to get 3,000 doses but I only schedule 2,000 appointments and if 3,000 doses arrive I have an extra 1,000 to put into my reserve bringing it back up to 10,000. That plan makes sense to me. The problem is the public found out states were not using 100% of doses and flipped out. This thread alone had numerous people upset with the percent of doses used vs received and I’d say we are a pretty level headed bunch. The general reaction on Twitter and even the mainstream media was much more harsh. States reacted by attempting to ramp up vaccinations and not hold doses back but then you rely on shipments to always be 100% as expected. That will never happen.
I think the problem is not that people flipped out that 100% were not used, rather when states were showing 33% or 25% used. That made people wonder why the low usage. Was it duplicate backup at the different levels (Local, state, etc.)? Was it lack of ability to get shots in the arms? Having an adequate buffer is good, having too little or too much is not.

Explanations that are possible and have been discussed here could be that the way things are reported cause usage vs non-usage of shots to be erroneous. [The granularity of delivery of doses vs when reporting is done].

It could be just startup jitters, and numbers will converge on true usage.

The fact that many places now say they have the ability to gets shots in the arms, but no shots might mean logistics (post manufacturing) is working out ok.

But numbers like 33% being reported made it worth examining the logistics (post manufacturing).

lazyboy97o

Again, only 15% roughly have side effects that are more severe. I am a mom who does computer work at home while helping to home school my kid and actual physical work at a church all during the trial. Neither time was I remotely bad enough to take a day off.
Nobody knows whether or not they are the one to feel worse until after the fact. How even a mildly sore arm is going to impact someone's ability to work is also going to vary based on their job. There are jobs where just a sore arm can be dangerous not just to the individual but others as well.

Disney Experience

Pfizer showed much less reactions than Moderna, but being part of the study that resulted in the percent that had side effects , I know Pfizer's number are lower than reality. For example, I reported to the study no side effects on either shot, but I had side effects on both shots (First shot mild arm pain, second shot chills, aches, fever, tiredness, etc.). The trialmax app I reported on asked if I had any signed of "Covid" and then enumerated them. I interpreted that if the signs were in my opinion due to the shot I had the day before, those are not signs of covid and therefore did not report them. I was not part of the first 6000 which were to report shot reactions, so I assumed I do not report them. But they may have included my non reporting as being a sign that there were no symptoms in my case from the shot.

My wife is in the Moderna COVE trial and they asked her to report any symptoms and wanted daily entries in the diary until a week after the second shot. So there number in the interim report more accurately reflect that's vaccines side effects.

Disney Experience

From all I have read you are more of the exception. Same among friends. Only one wasn't happy the next day, but the rest had arm soreness or a headache and that was it. More friends are getting second dose of Moderna this week.

I received contact from my trial last week about it. Had a call yesterday and 2 follow ups today. Pretty easy. Keeping on my regular 4th visit schedule now for mid March.

Hope you find out soon! Any contact from your company who did the trial?
The company sent me a letter a few weeks ago about unmasking and the opportunity to get vaccinated if one is in the placebo group. I have not requested unmasking.

The company here in Central Florida that did Pfizer and Moderna Phase 3 is Accel Research in Deland, Fl. They have been very pleasant to work with.

Patcheslee

There have been a couple questions raised with our upper management for the vaccine (factory job not health care). 1: are they applying for and plan to have e storage needed to distribute the vaccine, we have an employee health center that does flu shots yearly already so the trained personnel are there.
2: Will people be given a day off if they have adverse reactions?
3. How will they differentiate between the symptomatic employees vs employees that can now their first shot? A few coworkers qualify due to. And anyone with symptoms that had the flu shot 2 days before symptoms was exempt from our employee quarantine requirements.

correcaminos

Nobody knows whether or not they are the one to feel worse until after the fact. How even a mildly sore arm is going to impact someone's ability to work is also going to vary based on their job. There are jobs where just a sore arm can be dangerous not just to the individual but others as well.
I get that, but I'm honestly a bit discouraged at those who think they'll automatically be knocked out for a day. We're setting a wrong mentality by scaring people out of taking it.
Pfizer showed much less reactions than Moderna, but being part of the study that resulted in the percent that had side effects , I know Pfizer's number are lower than reality. For example, I reported to the study no side effects on either shot, but I had side effects on both shots (First shot mild arm pain, second shot chills, aches, fever, tiredness, etc.). The trialmax app I reported on asked if I had any signed of "Covid" and then enumerated them. I interpreted that if the signs were in my opinion due to the shot I had the day before, those are not signs of covid and therefore did not report them. I was not part of the first 6000 which were to report shot reactions, so I assumed I do not report them. But they may have included my non reporting as being a sign that there were no symptoms in my case from the shot.

My wife is in the Moderna COVE trial and they asked her to report any symptoms and wanted daily entries in the diary until a week after the second shot. So there number in the interim report more accurately reflect that's vaccines side effects.
I was told not to use any side effects as symptoms in the trialmax app for the shots. Anything in the 1st 48 hours to ignore for that but to call if it lasted longer. The covid symptom diary is separate from the side effect diary. So no, they are not mixed together.
The company sent me a letter a few weeks ago about unmasking and the opportunity to get vaccinated if one is in the placebo group. I have not requested unmasking.

The company here in Central Florida that did Pfizer and Moderna Phase 3 is Accel Research in Deland, Fl. They have been very pleasant to work with.
My trial company was wonderful to work with too even with a telecom glitch that caused me to have to return for the 1st appointment twice. Got to the part where the system was supposed to randomize and the system went down. Bad luck. That's why it took me until Sept to get the shot as we had to reschedule the longest appointment.

Do you plan to unblind yourself?

DisneyCane

Now we're trying to convince people who can't be bothered to wear masks (correctly), distance, and stay home as much as possible to willingly suffer day of fatigue and a sore arm.

Or were you trying to imply that worse side effects are widespread?

Because arm soreness is a bad thing? Only roughly 15% are noted to have worse side effects last I read. Thanks again to the news for reporting the way they do. Some friends have had worse than I did, but I can count on one hand those who did. Most were like me or less. Truly your post is not helpful either.

I'm talking more about the fever/chills/fatigue that is reported by a pretty high percentage of people. Many who are somewhat indifferent about the vaccine may avoid it because they don't want those side effects.

SamusAranX

I'm talking more about the fever/chills/fatigue that is reported by a pretty high percentage of people. Many who are somewhat indifferent about the vaccine may avoid it because they don't want those side effects.

Those people are frankly, dense. They are saying they are perfectly acceptable with the "risk" of getting Covid and getting fever and chills from that....but won't accept fever and chills from a vaccine that will enable normalcy to resume? :rolleyes: 😶

correcaminos

Except those are not reported by a high percentage of people. There was a really good article showing the exact breakdown but it is roughly 15%

Back to the problem with reporting. People hear this and will fear it. I'm now 4 months past vaccination and unblinded as of today. Most dealt with issues to my level, not the other way around.

Those people are frankly, dense. They are saying they are perfectly acceptable with the "risk" of getting Covid and getting fever and chills from that....but won't accept fever and chills from a vaccine that will enable normalcy to resume? :rolleyes: 😶
I'd laugh if it weren't so sadly true....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom