Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The within a 24-hour neg teset feels so useless. You could just as well catch the thing in the meanwhile.
Vaccine isn't a 100% guarantee either.
Agreed, so why don't we just skip them both.
Because either one is much better then doing nothing.
My guess is the Ticketmaster plan allowed for the test option as an out for people who medically couldn’t get the vaccine. They could just require proof of vaccine or if you have a legit medical condition some form of doctor’s note along with a negative test. I know that’s still opening the door for potential fraud, but it’s better than just allowing the negative test which really isn’t good enough in my opinion. It’s also a potential short term plan so I would be OK with just not making a medical exemption. It’s not like someone with a medical condition that prevents vaccination would never be allowed back at WDW. We’re talking less than a year that this really applies.

BrianLo

Imagine if our leaders came out with masks and wearing them for 8 months and every time they opened their mouth it was about being safe and subscribing to the facts from science where we could be now. Instead of tweeting about the latest celebrity who said something about him.

That type of leader would have been re-elected. We have conservatives on both sides of the fence up here. Ones who whole-heartedly have gone the “we’re all in this together” route have approval ratings through the roof. Ones who are shirking responsibility have tanked.

It’s funny, the public really likes leaders who take personal responsibility. No matter their political spectrum.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Even if you catch the disease, the chance of developing a high enough viral load to be contagious within 24 hours is very low.
For a concert or sporting event that’s a few hours long I think that works, but if I test negative the day before my 10 day WDW trip I have plenty of time to get more severely ill. Unless the plan would be to test me every day while I’m there.

Heppenheimer

True, but how long does it take before a test will detect the virus?
This comes from a medical reference website behind a paywall, so I'll just include the relevant quote and reference:

"Following close contact with an individual with COVID-19 (this includes neonates born to mothers with COVID-19). The time to detectable RNA following exposure is unknown, so the optimal time to test for COVID-19 following exposure is uncertain; five to seven days post exposure is recommended based on the average incubation period."

Infectious Diseases Society of America. COVID-19 Prioritization of Diagnostic Testing. https://www.idsociety.org/globalassets/idsa/public-health/covid-19-prioritization-of-dx-testing.pdf (Accessed on March 22, 2020).

HarperRose

Indiana can't even keep their statewide immunization records up to date. Every year new vaccines are required I get notified by DD12s school she can't attend because the statewide system doesn't show her as current. Then I have to take off work, go to doc to get updated records again and take them to the school again because they don't keep the hard copies. The last update they showed for her in the system was in 1st grade, she's now in 6th and had multiple rounds of required shots and multiple times of me having to take hard copies in and tell doc it wasn't updated in system.
I highly doubt expecting a government to keep track of this particular one will be any better.
An aside ~ keep a hard copy for your own records so all you need to do is photocopy it and send it to school with her. When she receives a new vaccination, get an updated copy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Seanual757

That type of leader would have been re-elected. We have conservatives on both sides of the fence up here. Ones who whole-heartedly have gone the “we’re all in this together” route have approval ratings through the roof. Ones who are shirking responsibility have tanked.

It’s funny, the public really likes leaders who take personal responsibility. No matter their political spectrum.

You sir are correct and if we ALL pitch in a be responsible and wear masks over the next a few months we can all ditch the masks sooner than later.

hopemax

A while back it was suggested that celebrities get on the messaging regarding vaccine safety. This is a start (and two are getting a little advanced in age while the other is in a higher risk minority group):

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...-willing-to-get-coronavirus-vaccine-on-camera
Unfortunately, the Obama and the Flint water situation is already being used to say "it will all be faked." Plus, Bush lied about WMD and Clinton lied about other things.

But it's okay, all these people will be placated with @GoofGoof's incoming safety data ;) /j *gently teasing* but I did want to respond to the how even the most skeptical would react, with, "have you seen this country this last, I don't know, ever?"

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 98 new reported deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 3.11.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 3.11.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 3.11.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 3.10.57 PM.png

matt9112

I must be crazy (duly noted) that people were against the mask requirements, much less full body cavity checks, for months and months and months. And there were many here in the beginning who proudly said they'd wear the masks to gain entry and then take them off. Talk about compliance. And trust me, these folks were pretty loud about who and where they stood on everything else about COVID and the "fear-mongering" that was taking away their rights to be idiots.
I think your getting goverment telling us to and us just doing the right thing (businesses requiring masks) confused. One is right and one is wrong...

DCBaker

Premium Member
Pfizer Inc. expects to ship half of the Covid-19 vaccines it originally planned for this year because of supply-chain problems, but still expects to roll out more than a billion doses in 2021.

“Scaling up the raw material supply chain took longer than expected,” a company spokeswoman said. “And it’s important to highlight that the outcome of the clinical trial was somewhat later than the initial projection.”

"Pfizer and Germany-based partner BioNTech SE had hoped to roll out 100 million vaccines world-wide by the end of this year, a plan that has now been reduced to 50 million. The U.K. on Wednesday granted emergency-use authorization for the vaccine, becoming the first Western country to start administering doses."

“We were late,” said a person directly involved in the development of the Pfizer vaccine. “Some early batches of the raw materials failed to meet the standards. We fixed it, but ran out of time to meet this year’s projected shipments.”

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I think your getting goverment telling us to and us just doing the right thing (businesses requiring masks) confused. One is right and one is wrong...
I'm actually not. I'm speaking directly to those on here who questioned Disney's mask requirements. Not to mention plenty of other private businesses.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm actually not. I'm speaking directly to those on here who questioned Disney's mask requirements. Not to mention plenty of other private businesses.

Considering how awful the trends are...everywhere...I’ve gone hard towards questioning Disney being open...and even moreso anyone being there?

Well maybe not locals...but out of towners...for sure

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a new, regional stay-at-home order Thursday as an "emergency brake" to curb the rampant spread of COVID-19 in California.

The state is being broken into five regions: Northern California, Greater Sacramento, Bay Area, San Joaquin Valley and Southern California. When the region's ICU hospital capacity falls below 15% capacity, the new stay-at-home order is triggered for a period of at least three weeks.

Current projections show all regions except the Bay Area meeting that dire threshold in the next few days. The Bay Area is currently projected to drop below 15% ICU capacity later this month.

When the stay-at-home order is triggered, bars, wineries, personal care services, hair salons and barbershops will need to close.

Schools that have received a waiver can stay open, as can all "critical infrastructure."

Restaurants can stay open for takeout and delivery, but they have to shut down both indoor and outdoor dining.

All retail stores are allowed to stay open at 20% capacity, unlike the last stay-at-home order in March. Newsom acknowledged the first stay-at-home order at the beginning of the pandemic unfairly advantaged some big box retailers, which were allowed to stay open. In this round of restrictions, Newsom said the state would be doing more to support small businesses.

Additionally, all non-essential travel is now banned statewide, regardless of what zone you live in."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom