Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For those who doubt the effectiveness of proper precautions for Coronavirus hereā€˜s exhibit A:
In summary 152 kids and counselors went to a summer camp in Wisconsin over the summer and 72% came down with Covid. All participants tested negative before they arrived but once at camp there were no Covid precautions, no masks, no distancing at all and when the first kid got symptoms they failed to trace his contacts and isolate them too.

Some people might say thatā€™s just the virus being the virus and precautions wouldnā€™t have mattered. Hereā€™s exhibit B:
In summary 1,022 kids and counselors attended summer camps in Maine and only 3 tested positive for Covid. In this instance the camps required masks and social distancing and also had enhanced cleaning and hygiene as well as encouraged limiting indoor activity. The moral of the story is that you can do stuff safely if you just practice the proper basic protocols (like WDW is doing). I know this still isnā€™t indisputable evidence that masks and distancing work, but it sure adds to the likelihood that they help.

LittleBuford

"For a month, beginning in November, United Airlines will test passengers over the age of 2 for the coronavirus on select flights from Newark Liberty International Airport to Heathrow Airport in London, in a trial intended to help convince government officials that testing could be a crucial part of reopening international travel.

United will administer the rapid molecular Abbott ID Now Covid-19 test to people flying between Nov. 11 and Dec. 11 on Flight 14, departing at 7:15 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from Newark. Everyone hoping to be on those flights will have to test negative for the coronavirus to board the plane. Those who test positive will be isolated and asked to get in touch with their health care provider, and the airline will help them book a flight for a later date. People who do not want to take the test will be moved to another flight.

ā€œWe believe the ability to provide fast, same-day Covid-19 testing will play a vital role in safely reopening travel around the world and navigating quarantines and travel restrictions, particularly to key international destinations like London,ā€ said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer for United. In September, international air arrivals to New Yorkā€™s five regional airports were down 82 percent compared with September 2019, according to data from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey."

This is an attractive idea, but far from failsafe. The test in question is designed for people already displaying symptoms of the virus. It is far less accurate when used on those who are infected but asymptomatic.

Heppenheimer

I wonder how accurately we could predict the political affiliation, preferred news source, or urban/suburban/rural residence of each member who has posted to this thread?
Ooooh, do me. I bet you won't guess any of them correctly (unless I've given away the answers previously, or you cheat by looking at my listed location).

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder how accurately we could predict the political affiliation, preferred news source, or urban/suburban/rural residence of each member who has posted to this thread?
Ooooh, do me. I bet you won't guess any of them correctly (unless I've given away the answers previously).
Judging by your avatar, you're a rural Republicanine who pours over any newspaper put down in front of him.

Last edited:

baymenxpac

in light of yesterday's exchanges on herd immunity, i want to share with you all this interview with dr. gupta. it's better coming from the horse's mouth than some jabroni like me banging away on a keyboard:

ImperfectPixie

in light of yesterday's exchanges on herd immunity, i want to share with you all this interview with dr. gupta. it's better coming from the horse's mouth than some jabroni like me banging away on a keyboard:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I disagree with Dr. Fauci.

Herd immunity has and will kill off a plague. You only need to let one third of your population die from it with several waves over the course of a few hundred years.

Done!

Although, not doing that because a vaccine is just a few months away is also an option.

GimpYancIent

I disagree with Dr. Fauci.

Herd immunity has and will kill off a plague. You only need to let one third of your population die from it with several waves over the course of a few hundred years.

Done!

Although, not doing that because a vaccine is just a few months away is also an option.
Jeez! For months people with people with credentials that read like scrolls, multiple degrees and endless acronyms behind their names have thrown volumes of stats, data, charts, graphs and projections at everyone. The net result has been fear, stress, poor judgements and imposition of draconian rules and / or regulations. To top it all off those supposedly enlightened people do not agree amongst themselves. It's all crap! All I want is to enjoy WDW, hey!, there are actual, reasonable, effective protocols, rules and policies there that work! Yea I am a big advocate for the Dole Whip rum float at MK, just do not get tired of it.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Jeez! For months people with people with credentials that read like scrolls, multiple degrees and endless acronyms behind their names have thrown volumes of stats, data, charts, graphs and projections at everyone. The net result has been fear, stress, poor judgements and imposition of draconian rules and / or regulations. To top it all off those supposedly enlightened people do not agree amongst themselves. It's all crap! All I want is to enjoy WDW, hey!, there are actual, reasonable, effective protocols, rules and policies there that work! Yea I am a big advocate for the Dole Whip rum float at MK, just do not get tired of it.
Make sure you wear your Dole Whip correctly. It's not for your protection... it's to protect others.

bpiper

For you mask effectiveness doubters, here is a NSF sponsored study on sneezing particle patterns and mask effectiveness.

Summary:

It takes over 5 seconds for the droplets of a sneeze to settle to the ground if there is no air movement..... With Air movement, it will take longer. Measuring that is the next step in their research along with other types of masks.

The 6 feet distance rule is correct with NO air movement.

Mask effectiveness: The researchers also found that standard medical masks are very effective at stopping the spread of droplets ā€” reducing the dispersed mucosaliva by a factor of at least 100 compared to the dispersal when unmasked.

ā€œMasks are so effective, even if they arenā€™t perfect,ā€ Chang says. ā€œThat was our most important finding.ā€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom