Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For the majority of nursing homes this is not true. The true root of spread is infected seniors being ordered to go back to these facilities where they spread it to other residents. This was evident in NY and NJ at the beginning of the pandemic where the all mighty Cuomo ordered the nursing homes to take the COVID positive patients and he is responsible for the large number of seniors that died as a result. There may be some exposure from visitors and a slightly greater percentage of the staff bringing in the virus. Most of these facilities were put on lock-downs and are still on lock-downs so only staff are going in and most likely are being tested regularly. My sister is a nurse at an assisted living facility here in NJ and the state mandated all residents and staff are tested on a weekly basis and I would guess many other facilities are following the same process.

This is absolutely not true...I’m not saying the nursing home policy during the crisis was correct...but to blame the whole thing on it is a debunked faux news hoax theory.

The virus was imported and spread via travel trough Western Europe before anymore knew what the hell was going on. It was never isolated in the US...the second rise was disregarding restrictions in the sunbelt before they had any clue what they were doing...the late summer/fall spikes lead right back to the younger demographic actively disregarding it and/or I’ll advised going to colleges again (for money...period) and kicking the spread cycle back up again...now the weather is going to aid in vectoring because that’s what happens every winter.

No. No. No.

It’s only been months...everyone can cramp their brains and bother to remember what happened.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just to be clear: so do I!

But I’m just saying no matter what they did..it would be lauded. The die is always cast.
Not by me. If you look back to May in this thread before the re-opening plans I was convinced Disney wouldn‘t have the stones to enforce safety rules and especially masks. I’m pleasantly surprised how well they stepped up. It could be a lot easier for them to let things slide. They have stepped up to protect their CMs as well as guests.

JoeCamel

1. No children but I'm very close to my niece & nephew and see them often
2. I would not vaccinate my children or if I did I would follow a very modified schedule
3. No I have not nor do I plan to ever get a flu vaccine

Not sure why that matters but if it makes you feel better to know this about me I'm happy to oblige! :cool:
Thank you, tells me a lot about where your head is.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not by me. If you look back to May in this thread before the re-opening plans I was convinced Disney wouldn‘t have the stones to enforce safety rules and especially masks. I’m pleasantly surprised how well they stepped up. It could be a lot easier for them to let things slide. They have stepped up to protect their CMs as well as guests.

I’m actually not surprised...but I still don’t think they have the stones to enforce them.

I think it’s about money/pricing...if you are willing to pay their 2020 prices...the chances are you are overwhelmingly the rational, compliance mindset to begin with.

There are outliers...but it isn’t the Walmart on 192.

(I’m guessing I shouldn’t say this...but it doesn’t make it less true if I don’t)

hopemax

I’m actually not surprised...but I still don’t think they have the stones to enforce them.

I think it’s about money/pricing...if you are willing to pay their 2020 prices...the chances are you are overwhelmingly the rational, compliance mindset to begin with.

There are outliers...but it isn’t the Walmart on 192.

(I’m guessing I shouldn’t say this...but it doesn’t make it less true if I don’t)
I don't normally associate these things together...

I know what you are trying to say, but I think maybe better phrasing would be "if you are ABLE to pay 2020 prices..." ;)

DisneyDebRob

WASHINGTON – The White House’s science policy office on Tuesday listed “ending the COVID-19 pandemic” among the Trump administration's first-term accomplishments, as the United States breaks records for new coronavirus cases daily.

That was announced yesterday and posted on their site. Why do I hear the voice of foghorn leghorn when I read it? It’s the reason this thread has no end in site.
Oh boy.
Full article here if you really want to read it.

Tink242424

So why is it draconian outside of Disney world?
Because Disney World is a business and I believe that businesses have a right to run their business how they want to (within the limits of the law of course). The market will determine if their policies are good or bad and if the business will be profitable.

What is draconian is governors taking large liberties about what they have the ability to control within their states. Closing businesses that don't need to be closed but could be managed by opening with modifications. It is completely ridiculous that in the beginning of the pandemic that Walmart and Target could be open but local mom & pop stores or stand alone stores like Old Navy couldn't be open following the same safety procedures as Walmart and Target.

What is draconian is not allowing gyms to open in my state when they could have opened but again make modifications to make it safer. If all else fails if a business is not being safe the odds are that the consumers will not support the business and therefore they will go out of business. Isn't this the arguement most people on this board are making when it comes to people suggesting the parks would do better without the mask rule? That no one would come or the few that would go would not be enough for Disney to stay in business? So wouldn't that be true of other businesses?

So that is part of my view point but I don't have the time to explain all of my points of view but that is why it isn't draconian at WDW.

ImperfectPixie

Because Disney World is a business and I believe that businesses have a right to run their business how they want to (within the limits of the law of course). The market will determine if their policies are good or bad and if the business will be profitable.

What is draconian is governors taking large liberties about what they have the ability to control within their states. Closing businesses that don't need to be closed but could be managed by opening with modifications. It is completely ridiculous that in the beginning of the pandemic that Walmart and Target could be open but local mom & pop stores or stand alone stores like Old Navy couldn't be open following the same safety procedures as Walmart and Target.

What is draconian is not allowing gyms to open in my state when they could have opened but again make modifications to make it safer. If all else fails if a business is not being safe the odds are that the consumers will not support the business and therefore they will go out of business. Isn't this the arguement most people on this board are making when it comes to people suggesting the parks would do better without the mask rule? That no one would come or the few that would go would not be enough for Disney to stay in business? So wouldn't that be true of other businesses?

So that is part of my view point but I don't have the time to explain all of my points of view but that is why it isn't draconian at WDW.
Your suggestions have been proven not to work.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I don’t disagree on your point about Target and Walmart vs mom and pop stores but I’ve seen no indication that any state is planning full stay at home orders again. That was definitely a blunt tool used in the beginning because we didn’t have the knowledge or data to know what was safe and not safe. I think it’s perfectly reasonable for retail stores to remain open as long as they have mask policies and distancing in the stores and I don’t see them being closed again unless things got really bad. It’s a great example of keeping the vast majority of the economy open but with restrictions. Same goes for construction, medical offices and theme parks like WDW along with many other businesses who have adapted to remain safe. We still can’t have concerts or sporting events with packed stands, we still shouldn’t have bars and clubs with no masks and no distancing. The vast majority of the economy can remain open and the better the case numbers the better the businesses will do.

I disagree that businesses should have to make decisions on public health. While Disney is doing a great job they also have deep pockets and financial independence so they aren’t worrying about going under. There are plenty of examples where the government steps in to place safety and public health restrictions on businesses. If left up to the businesses they wouldn’t make the same call. I work in the power industry and I can tell you for sure that businesses shouldn’t be the sole decider on things related to public health. The government should set public health requirements and then its up to the business to decide how to comply. If you ask most bar owners they are going to want to be open with no restrictions but that’s not in the best interest overall.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I don't know of any state that made a distinction between big box stores and mom & pop stores. The distinction was normally between essential and non-essential stores. This was necessary early on because the number of cases was increasing rapidly, a lot of health care systems were not prepared for it, and we didn't know much about the virus and how it spreads. Non-essential businesses were closed in an attempt to keep people home as much as possible and slow the spread. I am not sure if there is any place that still have non-essential retail closed, but I think we have learned enough that those sorts of closing are not necessary unless things really start to get out of control again.

lazyboy97o

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Answering 3 questions doesn't tell you much about what I think but since I don't really care what you think of me I will just chuckle with your ignorance.
You’ve made plenty of other anti-vaxxer, anti-science and conspiracy theory comments. Your sentiments are clear and bleed into your comments about COVID-19. Evidence doesn’t matter, it’s what you feel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom