Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

michmousefan

This isn’t a knock on Fauci directly but keep in mind that expert opinion is the lowest form of evidence. Someone posted below the other month. And this is why some don’t like when experts float out opinions on everything, all the time, without other evidence.
I think you missed a couple of rungs on the evidence scale...
pyramid.png

carolina_yankee

Sorry, I couldn't find a reference to this anywhere in the CDC guidelines. Can you point me to where they show the guidelines that define "immunological bubble", and how I can exercise that exception to attend MLB games and sit next to friends without masks?

You can google immunological bubble and find many references to it an practice, and even encouraged by health officials in many countries.

I’m not going to comment on why he’s in the baseball stadium because I don’t know, but science says everything about that moment is safe given *nobody* is anywhere near him that he likely doesn’t always hang with. Nobody is telling 79 year olds they have to stay locked up at home. My 69 year old husband goes into nursing homes every day as a hospice chaplain.

You’re playing a gotcha game. It’s the same thing as deciding a GP is a quack for telling patients not to smoke and then finding out he smokes a cigar every now and then. Does that suddenly erase his medical degree or scientific evidence?

People are human, and I don’t know the context of the photo. What I do know is that science points to that moment likely being absolutely safe whether or not it fits CDC guidelines to a T. The rest is just lashing out.

The pandemic sucks. We can’t do certain things because of it. People are going to die. People are going to lose jobs, businesses, homes. People are going to commit suicide from the stress. It all sucks. Our responsibility is to the best we can do to minimize the damage the pandemic is causing, but it’s going to cause damage and there is nothing to prevent that until a vaccine or cure is widely used.

Honestly, I think if we harnessed the same attitude towards this vaccine as we harassed in World War II, we’d likely find our way through this much better. Instead it’s all finger pointing and complaining about not being able to party at college or go to ball games.

oceanbreeze77

I believe one of those people in the pic is his wife.......You are allowed to hang out with the people you live with. We dont know who lives with him and who doesn't....A lot of people have moved in together during this time. I personally am moving back in with my folks next month, and a ton of my peers have already done so, even ones who have their own families.

DisneyCane

He was going by the science that had at the time. Why is that so hard for people to comprehend? Science evolves every minute. As you find out more about what’s being studied, you present that to the public. If you find out there’s a better way by the next day, you inform again. If it takes weeks or months to come to another conclusion, you inform again. It’s science. And it doesn’t care what you or I believe in, it just keeps moving along and coming up with better answers.
What science led him to say something to the effect of "don't fly unless you have to for work?" Or "it's ok to go on a cruise if you're under 65?"

Heppenheimer

Honestly, I think if we harnessed the same attitude towards this vaccine as we harassed in World War II, we’d likely find our way through this much better. Instead it’s all finger pointing and complaining about not being able to party at college or go to ball games.
For a rather disturbing look into that particular dark corner of the internet, puruse Ohio State's fan forum:

Warning... for an outsider, it's not pretty. Kind of like if a member of Antifa attended a Klan rally in secret. The almost complete lack of acknowledgement that we're in a pandemic is really rather scary.

carolina_yankee

Fauci says when it’s ok to take masks off:

While wearing a mask is one of Fauci's fundamentals, there are times when you can take them off safely. "When I see people out on a beach running with nobody around them, good for you, you know, do it. You don't need to be locked down outside," he said. However, if there are a lot of people around, mask up. "If you think you're going to get close to people, you know, flip a mask on. But if you're walking with your dog or your wife or husband or somebody that you're in the house with anyway, and you're not going to stay separated from them and then just do it." He also explained that there is no need to go to extremes. "You could see your friends," he points out. "I mean, what I do myself right now, I'm very careful about wearing a mask, but every evening, and it's now late at night, because when I go home, my wife and I, we go out for a four mile jog, power walk, whatever you want to call it. And I do this," he explained, pulling his mask down around his chin. "It's like this. And I'm chatting with her. If I see 50 yards ahead, someone coming, I go like that," he continued, pulling his mask back over his face. "We pass them. 'Hello. How are you?' And then I'm outside. You can do that. You can do that."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What science led him to say something to the effect of "don't fly unless you have to for work?" Or "it's ok to go on a cruise if you're under 65?"

Good luck on your campaign to discredit one of the most widely regarded epidemiologists. Hope, when the time comes, you can look back at this and reflect on the limited time we have on Earth, and you're satisfied on not moving the needle the tiniest bit on this, but, you did spend a lot of time on it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Not to add fuel to the fire. But here is his latest. I’m sure the theater companies aren’t thrilled. Or the studios. Could this prediction alone have economic implications for them? Potentially. But likely not IMO. Stock impact?

DisneyDebRob

You are playing the gotcha game. Have no idea why you are trying to discredit a leading authority in every science circle on infectious diseases.
As for your comments.. as of April 9th he was saying he wouldn’t fly or eat in at restaurants. As of March 9 he was saying the elderly, people with immune systems that were low to don’t even think about taking a cruise or going on vacation. This was March 9th. It’s easy to google it. Very early in what was happening in this country. To me he was on it early.. and as any good scientist would do, changed his recommendations as more data was found. This is 2 minutes of my time I won’t ever get back.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Not to add fuel to the fire. But here is his latest. I’m sure the theater companies aren’t thrilled. Or the studios. Could this prediction alone have economic implications for them? Potentially. But likely not IMO. Stock impact?

People hear movie theater and automatically the vision of a large building enters the mind. What happened to drive-in theaters as an old school alternative for the viewing movies? Ok so there is a reliance on night time, but, anyone that has been to a drive-in can tell you it is a unique experience. It can be billed as reliving an old piece of Americana.

Kevin_W

For a rather disturbing look into that particular dark corner of the internet, puruse Ohio State's fan forum:

Warning... for an outsider, it's not pretty. Kind of like if a member of Antifa attended a Klan rally in secret. The almost complete lack of acknowledgement that we're in a pandemic is really rather scary.

I'm a Buckeye fan, though I don't hang out on messageboards (which like this one bring out the diehards). There are certainly a few Covid-deniers (just like on these boards), but most people are pretty levelheaded about it. The cross section with football is about risk tolerance. It's really, really hard to see how it is safe for the University of Cincinnati to play football, it is safe for the Cleveland Browns to play football, and it is safe for every Columbus high school to play football, yet it is too dangerous for Ohio State to play football.

DisneyDebRob

People hear movie theater and automatically the vision of a large building enters the mind. What happened to drive-in theaters as an old school alternative for the viewing movies? Ok so there is a reliance on night time, but, anyone that has been to a drive-in can tell you it is a unique experience. It can be billed as reliving an old piece of Americana.
I lived artthe drive-ins growing up. Many a story to be had about sneaking friends in the trunk of the car in to pay less. Luckily after 25 years of not going to one we found one not to far away in jersey. We go once a month usually and enjoy ourselves every time. And no more trunk sneaking.
You are correct though, if anyone has a chance to do a drive- in, it’s just so much better then a regular theater.

carolina_yankee

I’m not sure he’s saying you can’t go now without masks and social distancing. He, like all epidemiologists, doesn’t like people doing anything indoors with other people where you are stationary for any length of time, but there are safeguards that can be taken.

The most I get from the article is that he’s saying we can go to a theater “without masks” after a vaccine has been out for about a year.

At any rate, it really doesn’t matter, because movie theaters are opening (they are here in NJ, and I think over 30 other states).

I think it’s his job to be extremely conservative and cautious. The minute he says “Sure, go to a theater but social distance and wear a mask,” what do you think people will do? After all, colleges are open and students are told what to do, but what are they doing? And then who will theater goers blame when there is an outbreak?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They were a major source of the spike in Illinois, and one that our mask mandate could not prevent. The discussion needs to include, but not completely center around, requiring people to wear masks in public.
I agree completely that masks are not the only thing necessary. Obviously in regard to issues with indoor dining a mask mandate has no impact because you aren’t wearing a mask while dining. Physical distancing, good hygiene and smart decisions all factor in as well. There definitely seems to be some thought that maybe the 6 foot rule isn’t as effective in restaurants with forced air systems (AC and eventually heat this winter) because the virus can be blown further than it will travel naturally. 6 feet was always a guideline and not an absolute anyway. IMHO if you want to stay safe just get takeout. Same found your still support the business.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I lived artthe drive-ins growing up. Many a story to be had about sneaking friends in the trunk of the car in to pay less. Luckily after 25 years of not going to one we found one not to far away in jersey. We go once a month usually and enjoy ourselves every time. And no more trunk sneaking.
You are correct though, if anyone has a chance to do a drive- in, it’s just so much better then a regular theater.
Have you been to this one? Nothing good IMHO playing this weekend but over the summer they had an Empire Strikes Back followed by Black Panther double feature. That‘s a pretty solid lineup.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

Agreed. This is what my 82 year-old father has been saying, and the man served in more than a few wars/operations. Not WWII (obviously).

DisneyDebRob

Have you been to this one? Nothing good IMHO playing this weekend but over the summer they had an Empire Strikes Back followed by Black Panther double feature. That‘s a pretty solid lineup.
Never been to that one. We go to Delsea drive in VinelandNJ. It’s a nice drive but it’s been brutal this year because of no new movies coming out. Had a few good weekends. Looking forward to Rocky Horror weekend before Halloween. Any questions give me a pm. It’s great for a couple or family.. 2 screens.. one side usually kids movies, other side for adults.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Never been to that one. We go to Delsea drive in VinelandNJ. It’s a nice drive but it’s been brutal this year because of no new movies coming out. Had a few good weekends. Looking forward to Rocky Horror weekend before Halloween. Any questions give me a pm. It’s great for a couple or family.. 2 screens.. one side usually kids movies, other side for adults.

Rocky Horror weekend? I must get myself to Delsea Drive In! Step one, learn to drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom