Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't believe it is quite that mild so I suspect an out of context or misunderstood quote.

CV19 has a long incubation period, too. So, while people are just carriers, it's spreading exponentially. Then, on top of that, it is non-symptomatic or only mildly symptomatic for a whole lot of people, especially if they're healthy and young... the type that are actively engaged with many other people.

We, in the U.S., due to the lack of tests, only 'see' CV19 when someone (usually an at-risk person) gets seriously ill. And that one person is just the tip of the iceberg for those who are sick, but not seriously and only suspect they have CV19; for those who are sick mildly who think they just have a cold; for those who show no symptoms; and, for those still incubating it.

duder

I work in sports and am currently in the Las Vegas airport after we shut down the Pac 12 Tournament today. Its definitely going to get much worse before it gets better if the whispers are true. I'd expect the US parks to close in the next week if not sooner.

I have a trip to DLP in June, so I have until May to worry about cancelling, but I would bet that we are going to see shutdowns for the next 3 months at least if I was a betting man

LSLS

They issued a statement similar to Disney’s just shorter and with less content.

Just a reminder that Disney has not been silent on the matter they just have not said/done what some want them to.

They have been silent since things blew up on this which is what I was referencing.

JohnD

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I live in Tampa and I’m here in WDW for the night. Scored a room for $130 at Coronado Springs and decided to come. t’s business as usual here at the parks. In fact it seems busier then ever. Everyone is happy and enjoying themselves (as they should). Closings and Panic cancellings are only going to hurt the economy in the long run. The virus has been here folks for quite some time just because we’re testing now doesn’t mean it hasn’t been here for months. I was watching an interview with someone who tested positive near the Bay Area and they aren’t even hospitalized. They are self quarantined at home and he says it’s like having a bad cold but of course that story doesn’t hit mainstream media because it doesn’t lend itself to clicks. We will all be fine however most of us “myself included” will now be broke and poor because of these closings out of fear that will severely damage our economy

That's a bad assessment and part of the problem. It's about flattening the curve of sick people when our hospitals don't have the capacity to care for them. That's what's happening in Italy when it spread so quickly they're forced to decide who lives and who dies in the hospitals based on projected recovery because they can't treat all of them.

THAT'S why so many things are being cancelled, closed, quarantined, etc.

Disstevefan1

I’m just going to leave this there:

You know what they say, "Folks are dying to go to WDW".

Seriously, ODDS ARE there ARE folks who are infected with coronavirus IN WDW right now, there is no magical force field to stop it.

How many will spread it to others while in WDW, we don't know.
How many will bring it home from WDW, we don't know.

I suspect future cases of coronavirus will be tracked back to WDW, its just a matter of time and testing.

Casper Gutman

I live in Tampa and I’m here in WDW for the night. Scored a room for $130 at Coronado Springs and decided to come. t’s business as usual here at the parks. In fact it seems busier then ever. Everyone is happy and enjoying themselves (as they should). Closings and Panic cancellings are only going to hurt the economy in the long run. The virus has been here folks for quite some time just because we’re testing now doesn’t mean it hasn’t been here for months. I was watching an interview with someone who tested positive near the Bay Area and they aren’t even hospitalized. They are self quarantined at home and he says it’s like having a bad cold but of course that story doesn’t hit mainstream media because it doesn’t lend itself to clicks. We will all be fine however most of us “myself included” will now be broke and poor because of these closings out of fear that will severely damage our economy
Read about Italy. Or Israel’s precautions. Or take a look at the mass graves in Iran. Or read anything, really, because you seem to have almost no grasp of what is going on.

If you get it and you are under 60 with no health issues, yeah, you’ll be fine. Probably won’t even go to the hospital. And given your attitude, you’ll probably spread it around. And eventually it will hit a lot of people who are vulnerable, who are over 60, who do have health issues. And their lives will be in very real danger.

This isn’t just about you. And it REALLY isn’t about your wallet.

hopemax

This is going to sound bonkers, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this bug has been around a lot longer than everyone thinks...all 4 of us were down with illness 3 times between the 2nd week of December and the end of January with respiratory infections of one kind or another. No serious symptoms, but enough to take a day off here or a day off there. We've NEVER had that much illness in our house in a single year, let alone all bunched together like that.

According to Wikipedia's timeline, the earliest known case was Dec 1, with 7 more cases occurring Dec 8-18. You would have to have been extremely lucky to have come into contact with someone from Hubei province, AND also not to have spread it to other people in your immediate area generating a cluster. Look at the spread from Westchester guy and Biogen conference guy.

ImperfectPixie

According to Wikipedia's timeline, the earliest known case was Dec 1, with 7 more cases occurring Dec 8-18. You would have to have been extremely lucky to have come into contact with someone from Hubei province, AND also not to have spread it to other people in your immediate area generating a cluster. Look at the spread from Westchester guy and Biogen conference guy.
That's my point...I think this has been around longer than that.

Genie_naughty_whispers

Test kits are limited and not always accurate anyway. The young and the healthy seem to be able to respond like th common flu. Better to use the kits as necessary to detect hotspots than use them up on everyone with a seasonal allergy symptom.

the logically approach to the limited test problem is to rest the patient for all the other flus and if the all come back negative, under that it is corona. Instead of being like “sorry no test for you....good luck”

Ariel1986

Can I just jump in to say that I am GLAD to see that most of our resident airchair epidemiologists have gone silent with their "whattabout the flu???" posts?

No, because they need our prayers just like everyone else. For many reasons.

I haven’t changed how I feel. I just can’t be bothered to fight crazy. Companies scared for their liabilities and cancelling left right and centre doesn’t change the actual percentage of people being sick, but who cares huh? You know what the percentage of 1200 cases in 327 million people is right? Or over here in the UK where it’s 600 in a population of 66 million. Yet everyone’s acting like if they step outside next to someone sneezing they might die. The world has gone insane and I still believe that. “Shut down the world!” Is anyone thinking about the ridiculous economic repercussions of this?! The ban of flights from Europe to the US and everything that is going to entail on the airline, hotel, tourism & entertainment industry from this is going to be insane.

And if- which I believe, as it’s just logical- that there are already many more cases out there already that we don’t know about, due to a lack of testing so far- how come the hospitals aren’t swamped and overwhelmed with people dying already? Because for the majority of people who catch this it will be so mild or without symptoms they may not even realise and won’t need any kind of treatment.

Anyway. Have fun in your doomsday economy & livelihood destroying apocalypse fantasies everyone. I’ll enjoy returning to this thread in 6 months.

Slpy3270

"Through the end of the month" I'm pretty sure it'll be far longer than that. Like maybe through the summer.

jt04

the logically approach to the limited test problem is to rest the patient for all the other flus and if the all come back negative, under that it is corona. Instead of being like “sorry no test for you....good luck”

"Each year, about 25 percent of common colds are due to four coronaviruses, and some scientists think COVID-19 could eventually join this group as its fifth member. In the second scenario, COVID-19 behaves more like a severe seasonal flu, vanishing in the summer and returning to hit us hard in the winter.

In neither scenario does COVID-19 resemble the Spanish flu of 1918, which disproportionately killed young people. In neither scenario does the virus mutate to become more lethal."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom