Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

Just FYI, in LA County, a county of over 10 million people, currently has 1,288 people hospitalized and 322 people on ventilators. There is not a digit missing - 322 out of 10,118,759.

So yeah, enjoy the gyms, restaurants, and theme parks everyone!
You do realize the numbers are that low because of social distancing right?? I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be going to those spaces, but caution and awareness is still needed.

disneygeek90

And where did I say people shouldn't social distance or wear masks? I just said that messaging battle has been lost forever due to the support of the mass public violations. I was one of those suckers who was (and still does) actually following the rules.

But as the other poster said - people are over it, they feel like they were betrayed, and they are moving on. The world is open and it ain't going back. When Newsome himself makes it clear we aren't going backwards, it is officially over.
Being "over it" is literally the worst reason to just pretend the pandemic is over. People are acting like children and it's ridiculous. Not pointing that at you specifically it's just incredibly frustrating. Americans are exhausting.

Rider

Well it's probably as persuasive as some of the actual studies being cited right now, but not as entertaining as the graphic of people peeing on each other with or without pants.
Hopefully it's more persuasive for people here based on the author, not the graphic. ;)

RaveOnEd

Hopefully it's more persuasive for people here based on the author, not the graphic. ;)
I forget where we had seen it, but there was a similar graphic that my wife and I saw. We were going to wear masks anyway while out, as well as the other usual precautions.

While I do think that the numbers are being rattled all over the place to fit narratives, we're still not going to take chances on getting even a little sick from this.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

This isn't anywhere near accurate. Even if neither person was wearing a mask and one of them sneezed directly on the other one, contagion probability is not 70%.

Being "over it" is literally the worst reason to just pretend the pandemic is over. People are acting like children and it's ridiculous. Not pointing that at you specifically it's just incredibly frustrating. Americans are exhausting.
You need to learn the difference between normative statements and positive statements, because you've engaged in fallacies that stem from not being able to tell the difference repeatedly.

Nobody is saying people SHOULD be over it or that they OUGHT to act like the pandemic is over. Those would be normative statements. We're simply observing that people ARE acting as if they're over it and the pandemic is over. That's a positive statement.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
When the leaders' messages are that it is no longer a scary virus and you can now be out with thousands rammed together for hours they have officially declared it over. Actions speak louder than words.

I was as shocked as anybody, but that's a genie you can't put back in the bottle. Now trying to "virus shame" people at the gym, parties, bars, and theme parks just doesn't work.

Virus shame. Good lord, you'll stop at nothing.

mickeymiss

Disney Springs T-rex employee tests positive. Several DS stores abruptly closed this week with no reason. I bet it was covid too. I wonder if Disney is getting hit already :( Shoot. I know one case here or there isn't doomsday if nobody else gets it but.....a restaurant worker? Not ideal. Maybe it's time for me to eat some crow and understand that the risk is simply too high. I'd probably cringe every time we dined anywhere.

hopemax

Cases are rising but hospitalizations are flat. The most vulnerable populations have already gotten it, a spike in young healthy people testing positive isn't going to hurt anything.
Just in case anyone is wondering about some math...

34% of the US population is aged 50 or older. That's 112.2 million people. Estimates are 103 million people in the US have hypertension, 34 million have diabetes. 42% are obese, or 138.6 million. There are 2.2 million confirmed cases. Even if more people have had the virus then have been tested, it's not "100 million people" level.

There are a lot of vulnerable people in the US that have not gotten sick yet. They don't all live in nursing homes (apparently, only about 1.5 million people live in nursing homes). The young may be driving the resurgence, but it will not stay contained to young people. The big question is how long will it take to spread? So far it's been slower than "American tolerance levels." But "slow and steady" still sickens and kills. Probably, more effectively than if it were faster, since so many people are loathe to take precautions.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disney Springs T-rex employee tests positive. Several DS stores abruptly closed this week with no reason. I bet it was covid too. I wonder if Disney is getting hit already :( Shoot. I know one case here or there isn't doomsday if nobody else gets it but.....a restaurant worker? Not ideal. Maybe it's time for me to eat some crow and understand that the risk is simply too high. I'd probably cringe every time we dined anywhere.

If you are not comfortable there, I would say don’t go. And the same goes for any shopping/dining area.

disneygeek90

You need to learn the difference between normative statements and positive statements, because you've engaged in fallacies that stem from not being able to tell the difference repeatedly.

Nobody is saying people SHOULD be over it or that they OUGHT to act like the pandemic is over. Those would be normative statements. We're simply observing that people ARE acting as if they're over it and the pandemic is over. That's a positive statement.
I understood your statement was an observation.

Chi84

Premium Member
This isn't anywhere near accurate. Even if neither person was wearing a mask and one of them sneezed directly on the other one, contagion probability is not 70%.
The numbers are made up. This whole thread reminds me of a judicial dissent I read once: "I respectfully dissent because the numbers pulled out my [butt] do not comport with the numbers pulled out the [butts] of my learned colleagues."

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Its going to happen constantly. There is no hiding from this thing, you either accept the risk and try enjoy your life or stay home and only go out for essentials. I sound like a broken record but this will be around for a long time, and I really don't see the US being able to truly contain it in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom