Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Same! Let’s use facts! The flu causes inflammatory disease in a small percentage of kids as well. But we don’t use that as an excuse to shut down the country every winter. Do you only care about kids with Covid?
No...what about any of my posts would give you that idea? The comments I made were in response to discussion about children specifically. Also, I've stated once already today that I don't wish to be lumped in with those saying we need to stay closed for a prolonged period of time...because I don't. I keep stressing that we need to re-open, but do so cautiously.

ETA: Perhaps if people would stop using hyperbole to try to prove their points, we could base our discussions on the realities of the virus instead of just arguing back and forth endlessly. BOTH sides are guilty of this.

Kevin_W

I read something today claiming the CDC is saying their estimate now on the IFR is 0.26%. Anyone else hear this? Is it true? On a slightly sarcastic note, do we, or do we not believe the CDC today?

There is a relevant XKCD comic to pretty much everything, but today's seems apt:

1590537542998.png

0.1-1% is what was being bandied about a month or two ago, so 0.26% seems consistent with that. They knew the initial 3-4% would come way down as we found less severe cases. And the high number of asymptomatic with this disease help depress it farther.

Jwink

You were just complaining that they aren’t opening soon enough. Which is it?
Just complaining? 2.5 months ago? Before we knew how deadly it was? Before the stimulus? Is that when you mean? Yeah. I did. And it’s changed now. And my husband makes more working than on unemployment so it’s not that. It’s not safe.

lisa12000

I wanted to do a land trip to Germany and Austria after our cruise fell through, but it seems complicated with all the different travel bans and having no choice but to fly through LHR.
My nieghbors sold their house in March and we’re planning to move to England. They are waiting for things to open up sounds like they might have a long wait.
I know London was packed with tourists the few times I’ve been there. I can imagine what a economic hit it’s going to be. How is British airway surviving.

Germany and Austria are fine they're opening up for tourists - im assuming transmitting through LHR would be fine tbh - I also believe that this policy will be gone almost as soon as they impose it. Problem we have IMO is that our PM and half his cabinet and 'advisors' caught Covid and it seems to have spooked them! convinced if they hadn't we would be open by now - its the family situation which is making people angry; no family but hey all go back to work!!

British Airways wont be allowed to go busy by the govt but they're re-doing contracts and cutting pay and looking to lay off 1/3 of their staff - its a nightmare especially with rumblings about Virgins long term future.

ImperfectPixie

Just complaining? 2.5 months ago? Before we knew how deadly it was? Before the stimulus? Is that when you mean? Yeah. I did. And it’s changed now. And my husband makes more working than on unemployment so it’s not that. It’s not safe.
If everyone is wearing face coverings when 6' distance isn't able to be observed, the chances of becoming infected are really low...we're talking maybe 1.5-2%.

Flugell

L
Jwink - Please dont even quote the UK we are a bloody nightmare! Our media are 24/7 doom mongers, our population is almost exclusively paralysed with fear, with my sister saying that she will never feel safe sending her daughter back to school again = she's going to home school her. The furlough system is fine but (im sorry if this sounds harsh) it has meant that a large proportion of the workforce DO NOT want to go back to work - why would they? Our teaching unions have become militant about kids going back to school and are talking of general strikes.

We are opening up all retail on June 15th, our schools on the 1st for some years but we still can only meet one other family member outside at 2m distance - not even in the garden! We have increasing reports of cancer deaths/disease due to us completely stopping screening, and stopping many treatments. The suicide rates of the elderly have gone up sevenfold due to the isolation.

all in the backdrop of our unelected advisor to Boris swanning 260 miles up to his parents for childcare reasons, whilst calling in at a beauty spot for a quick test drive on their way home - and our PM backs him to the hilt and sticks his finger up at us - then calls us out for going to the beaches and parks in hot weather and says that people are flouting the rules.....

I know neither country has come off Wonderfully in this but if I could come on a plane now to the US and stop I would do!

(sorry for the rant)
This is NOT the U.K. where I live. The furlough system is a life saver, though won’t protect all jobs long term, unfortunately. I agree with your sister, certainly in the immediate future and I am speaking as a former deputy head (principal) of a junior school.
Unless you have an unusual set up the garden is outside.
I have heard NO reports of increased suicides in the elderly, if you have reliable data I am prepared to stand corrected. People who are suffering from serious illnesses are constantly being told to seek medical advice and the two people I know who are suffering with cancer have had there treatments continued with no delay, in one case I agree at a different hospital that doesn’t have Covoid 19 cases. I haven’t seen Boris stick his finger up but there is no comparison between the behaviour of people on beaches and in parks who are failing to self isolate and the irresponsible behaviour of Dominic Cummings who it appears had no interaction with anyone. Foolish unnecessary but far less danger of spreading the virus.
Looking at the inconsistencies and speed with which the USA are opening up I think I’ll stay in the U.K. thanks.
When the world has dealt with the Pandemic I will joyfully dance down Main Street once more.

TrojanUSC

There is a relevant XKCD comic to pretty much everything, but today's seems apt:

View attachment 472925

0.1-1% is what was being bandied about a month or two ago, so 0.26% seems consistent with that. They knew the initial 3-4% would come way down as we found less severe cases. And the high number of asymptomatic with this disease help depress it farther.

Largely based on some of the earlier antibody tests which are proving to be outliers. The US rate for DIAGNOSED COVID-19 is around 5%. Everything else is guesswork until we have enough testing.

MaximumEd

If everyone is wearing face coverings when 6' distance isn't able to be observed, the chances of becoming infected are really low...we're talking maybe 1.5-2%.

Becoming infected how? By being next to an infected person? Over the next 2 months? 6 months? Ever? Big city or rural? Where did this 1.5-2% number come from?

MaximumEd

Largely based on some of the earlier antibody tests which are proving to be outliers. The US rate for DIAGNOSED COVID-19 is around 5%. Everything else is guesswork until we have enough testing.

That’s the CFR. I was talking about the new numbers for IFR. The new CDC numbers may be as bunk as the earlier models. Who knows right now.

Peter Pan's Shadow

Jwink - Please dont even quote the UK we are a bloody nightmare! Our media are 24/7 doom mongers, our population is almost exclusively paralysed with fear, with my sister saying that she will never feel safe sending her daughter back to school again = she's going to home school her. The furlough system is fine but (im sorry if this sounds harsh) it has meant that a large proportion of the workforce DO NOT want to go back to work - why would they? Our teaching unions have become militant about kids going back to school and are talking of general strikes.

We are opening up all retail on June 15th, our schools on the 1st for some years but we still can only meet one other family member outside at 2m distance - not even in the garden! We have increasing reports of cancer deaths/disease due to us completely stopping screening, and stopping many treatments. The suicide rates of the elderly have gone up sevenfold due to the isolation.

all in the backdrop of our unelected advisor to Boris swanning 260 miles up to his parents for childcare reasons, whilst calling in at a beauty spot for a quick test drive on their way home - and our PM backs him to the hilt and sticks his finger up at us - then calls us out for going to the beaches and parks in hot weather and says that people are flouting the rules.....

I know neither country has come off Wonderfully in this but if I could come on a plane now to the US and stop I would do!

(sorry for the rant)
Funny you say this. I have some British mates and they think the world is going to end. Lol. Thx, makes total sense now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Based on what?
For starters the governor of FL has decided that it’s unsafe for people from 4 whole states to even enter the state of Florida without quarantining. If those places are still that bad off how can Disney ensure that people living in those states or more importantly people that have passed through those areas aren‘t going to show up at WDW and infect their employees? I‘m from PA and I could easily spend a weekend in NYC and then hop a flight from Philly to MCO and head to WDW. I also know people living in Manhattan who don’t have cars so they never changed their driver license to NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom