Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rider

DVC is the bigger problem. You don’t really have a choice with the way the points work. Unless they ask for volunteers to cancel their reservations and allow them to bank the points I don’t see any easy work around there.
I don't have experience with DVC but it still seems like they would. I assume they've done something similar for the guests they already cancelled?

Touchdown

Exactly.
As testing climbs, so will cases.
The death count is what needs to be watched.

I understand both sides of the issue, but those who only count "cases" are ignorant.

As are people who fail to watch the total percentage tested. Texas is at 2.7%, the lowest of any state in the top ten for total cases. Makes you wonder how many cases they aren’t detecting...

Lilofan

Disney is a whole different beast from Universal. There are a lot more variables and contingency plans they have to factor in. Not to mention as with any decision that Universal leads, they don't have unions to contend with. Yes, Disney and their unions came to an initial agreement, but every decision they make that impacts cast members has to be discussed with those unions. They could also be deciding if it is more beneficial to just wait until a lot of these restrictions are relaxed.
I'm sure WDW had got its folks scoping out Universal to see what works and what doesn't if UO opens up first.

Hawg G

Universal is proposing to reopen on June 1st and 2nd for only Team Members.

June 3rd and 4th will be invited guests and perhaps APs. Public opening proposed for June 5th.

Training for TMs begin this weekend.

Universal will require guests and TMs to wear masks and will provide guests 1 free if they need one.

TMs 65 and older are encouraged to stay home.

Virtual lines for highly attended attractions.

Eliminating (pausing) single rider lines.

Reduce or eliminate water and mist elements on some attractions

Here is their plan for queue lines -

View attachment 471622

And the Orange County Task Force has approved the plan Universal Orlando is proposing.

Disney is going to look real stupid staying closed for a few more months, like all the experts say.

Either that, or Universal is going to kill thousands!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As are people who fail to watch the total percentage tested. Texas is at 2.7%, the lowest of any state in the top ten for total cases. Makes you wonder how many cases they aren’t detecting...
I don’t know too much about Texas.

In Florida they did ramp up testing pretty dramatically from the end of April into the first week of May. It was pretty legit to say the increase in new cases was at least partially caused by a ramp up in testing. That ramp up is unlikely to last forever. Once the number of tests stabilizes then the number of new cases becomes very relevant again to determine how much the virus is spreading. Looking at Florida’s data after several weeks of heavy ramp up there was a pretty small increase in testing the week ending 5/16 compared to the week ending 5/9. 3% increase vs over 30% the prior week. It’s too soon to say if that’s a true flattening of the weekly tests run or if it’s just an anomaly. After Saturday we should have another week of data to compare. If the ramp up has tapered off or if the amount of tests done drops then it’s legit to look at new cases again.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney is going to look real stupid staying closed for a few more months, like all the experts say.

Either that, or Universal is going to kill thousands!
It’s much more likely that neither of those things happen. 6 months from now nobody will remember who opened first and I really don’t think it’s likely that Universal will kill thousands. Everyone will be in masks and social distancing. Not a problem.

Kevin_W

Disney is a whole different beast from Universal. There are a lot more variables and contingency plans they have to factor in. Not to mention as with any decision that Universal leads, they don't have unions to contend with. Yes, Disney and their unions came to an initial agreement, but every decision they make that impacts cast members has to be discussed with those unions. They could also be deciding if it is more beneficial to just wait until a lot of these restrictions are relaxed.

I'm curious how much of WDW's actions will be dictated by Disneyland. The risks of both parks are the same - it would look odd to have Florida open but California be closed for months longer.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm curious how much of WDW's actions will be dictated by Disneyland. The risks of both parks are the same - it would look odd to have Florida open but California be closed for months longer.
I thought they might try to line them up, but in CA it is looking like a real possibility they won’t open until late fall if at all this year. There’s no way WDW lasts that long. Universal is in the same boat with their CA park but the difference is TWDC is based in CA. Of course Comcast is in Philly and we’re still locked down until after Uni opens in Orlando.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don’t know too much about Texas.

In Florida they did ramp up testing pretty dramatically from the end of April into the first week of May. It was pretty legit to say the increase in new cases was at least partially caused by a ramp up in testing. That ramp up is unlikely to last forever. Once the number of tests stabilizes then the number of new cases becomes very relevant again to determine how much the virus is spreading. Looking at Florida’s data after several weeks of heavy ramp up there was a pretty small increase in testing the week ending 5/16 compared to the week ending 5/9. 3% increase vs over 30% the prior week. It’s too soon to say if that’s a true flattening of the weekly tests run or if it’s just an anomaly. After Saturday we should have another week of data to compare. If the ramp up has tapered off or if the amount of tests done drops then it’s legit to look at new cases again.
They ramped up testing a lot in Texas as well around the same time and looking to do even more. Good news is that hospitalizations are down and deaths are not surging.

Also, do you want to see a dramatic increase in cases? Test everyone and you will see how many are out there. I think based on what we know so far, there are a ton of asymptomatic people walking around. But as I mentioned, the number of cases on their own doesn’t tell the full story.

hopemax

I'm curious as to how this is being viewed internally. Do they expect to operate like the regional chains? Open for the summer, with things winding down around Labor Day? Or once they are open, they expect to stay open, regardless of what happens with the virus.

Flugell

I’m confused AGAIN! I thought that under the governors mandate “lets” weren’t allowed for under 30 days from outside Florida and certain specified states without the Governor’s direct approval on a case by case basis. Has this been rescinded? From U.K. so don’t get all the latest news. My understanding of that is hotels would remain closed and each room as a “separate “ let would have to be approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom