Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the Tigger

All due respect but what data are you looking at?
You know, like, basic facts and stuff.

Turns out my comment was outdated from an article I had read just a few days ago. Way back then, it was doubling every two weeks, now it's every 7-10 days.

And we're not even getting good data out of Florida - only once a week - so it will take 3 weeks to even begin to spot a trend.

Quote:
"As of Sunday, the Delta variant was responsible for about 10.3% of US Covid-19 cases, according to Dr. Eric Topol, the founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, whose outbreak.info has been tracking variants throughout the pandemic.
The may not seem like a lot, but the speed with which it's spreading is a concern.

"It doubles every seven to 10 days, which means when it gets to three weeks from now, this variant will be dominant," Topol said. "That means we have two to three weeks to just go flat out with vaccination to stop this trend."

Vaccinations generally seem to keep variants in check. The Alpha strain, for instance, is the dominant strain in the United States and has been since about late April. But with exceptions such as Michigan, it didn't cause surges in cases in most parts of the country.
Topol said that the US was able to "ante up" and go "full tilt on vaccination" when the variant arrived in the United States.

Most blue states will make Biden's July 4 vaccine goal. The red ones won't.

With the Delta variant, Topol isn't as optimistic.
"This is the most troubling variant by far, because it's another 60% more contagious than the Alpha, so it's a super spreader strain," Topol said. But the vaccination rate is stalling.

While 43.9% in the US is fully vaccinated, according to the CDC, the rate at which people are getting vaccinated has been slowing down.
In Mississippi, nearly 29% of population is fully vaccinated. In Alabama it's less than 31%. In Arkansas, less than 33%. In Louisiana, Georgia, and Wyoming it's less than 34%, according to CDC data."

Wendy Pleakley

Not over yet - based on traditional metrics. Got a dose of reality on that front today. Both my wife and 17 yo son tested positive today, despite being fully Pfizered. They just have fatigue and low grade fevers so far. Only found out because both have elective procedures coming up. As many have said, case totals are becoming less important. I fully expect to see a delta variant spike in case counts. What really matters is disease severity, hospitalizations, and deaths.
God willing, those numbers will continue to decline.

It's amazing that the USA is falling on the vaccination charts, despite having an enviable head start over just about everyone.

It's been reported that in some places, people who haven't gotten vaccinated yet are at a higher risk of catching COVID than ever, because while the numbers have dropped those infections are occurring in a smaller portion of the population.

The ability to get vaccinated this quickly after the onset of a pandemic represents incredible privilege. Yet, there are so many hold outs. It boggles the mind.

Touchdown

Only fear is once the Indian Delta variant arrives in the USA ... so far it's minimal, but it will become the dominant mutation. It's caused havoc in the UK, and this with the UK having higher vaccination rates than the USA.
Yes but, the US has focused on full vaccinations vs Britain’s partial vaccination. That’s key because while 2 shots of AZ and Pfizer are effective against delta one shot is not effective against delta. So as we’ve seen so far in the US it’s likely delta will not cause as much infections as Britain. That said if you are part of the unvaccinated group, and think this is all over you might be in for a rude awakening.

Last edited:

Lilofan

76% of adults in NJ with one shot. That’s pretty good IMHO.
Is the NJ free beer incentive working ? Perhaps the deep southern states can get some sort of a clue to improve their numbers to get shots into the residents arms. WA state improved their numbers when the state offered " poke and toke ". WA residents who got a covid shot of adult age were eligible to receive a free marijuana joint at the local dispensary.

Last edited:

hopemax

Yes but, the US has focused on full vaccinations vs Britain’s partial vaccination. That’s key because while 2 shots of AZ are effective against delta one shot is not effective against delta. So as we’ve seen so far in the US it’s likely delta will not cause as much infections as Britain. That said if you are part of the unvaccinated group, and think this is all over you might be in for a ride awakening.
Delta won’t be the last VOC we ever see though. The question we can’t answer and have to watch and see what happens, is if the situation in the UK spawns a more troublesome variant that does starts mucking around with the vaccine evasion. By floating around in so many bodies with partial protection, until jackpot.

Then the boosters come into play, and I would not be confident that many Americans will line up, even as well as this time. Or return to any sort of mitigation while we wait for that distribution. Everyone will just take their chances, which would inevitably lead to continued spread. And as pointed out, the burden will mostly be felt in the unvaccinated group, but it also brings the most vulnerable back onto the playing field. (In the case of a more vaccine evasive variant).

Things may be fine, nothing bad happens. My problem is with the certainty that there can’t be any backward steps in the remaining process.

Touchdown

Delta won’t be the last VOC we ever see though. The question we can’t answer and have to watch and see what happens, is if the situation in the UK spawns a more troublesome variant that does starts mucking around with the vaccine evasion. By floating around in so many bodies with partial protection, until jackpot.

Then the boosters come into play, and I would not be confident that many Americans will line up, even as well as this time. Or return to any sort of mitigation while we wait for that distribution. Everyone will just take their chances, which would inevitably lead to continued spread. And as pointed out, the burden will mostly be felt in the unvaccinated group, but it also brings the most vulnerable back onto the playing field. (In the case of a more vaccine evasive variant).

Things may be fine, nothing bad happens. My problem is with the certainty that there can’t be any backward steps in the remaining process.
There is only so many mutations the virus can undergo before the mutation prevents it from binding to the ACE-II receptor. If it can’t bind to that receptor it can’t infect humans. Also, I’ve stopped worrying about what most will do, mainly because I certainly will line up to get any boosters should they be needed and I expect children will be able to get the vaccine before the new year.

Im done caring about people who choose to make poor decisions, this is America, you are free to ruin your life provided it doesn’t impinge on someone else’s freedom. I’ll simply shake my head and move on, knowing Darwin’s theory of evolution continues to be relevant.

The only people I’ll feel sorry for are the immunosuppressed, but I currently know of no way to protect them sadly.

Tony the Tigger

Is the NJ free beer incentive working ? Perhaps the deep southern states can get some sort of a clue to improve their numbers to get shots into the residents arms. WA state improved their numbers when the state offered " poke and toke ". WA residents who got a covid shot of adult age were eligible to receive a free marijuana joint at the local dispensary.
I’m going to hold out on getting my booster until they offer me WDW EMH and a chance to win a night in the castle.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Not over yet - based on traditional metrics. Got a dose of reality on that front today. Both my wife and 17 yo son tested positive today, despite being fully Pfizered. They just have fatigue and low grade fevers so far. Only found out because both have elective procedures coming up. As many have said, case totals are becoming less important. I fully expect to see a delta variant spike in case counts. What really matters is disease severity, hospitalizations, and deaths.
God willing, those numbers will continue to decline.
Sending prayers and pixie dust

Figgy1

Premium Member
There is only so many mutations the virus can undergo before the mutation prevents it from binding to the ACE-II receptor. If it can’t bind to that receptor it can’t infect humans. Also, I’ve stopped worrying about what most will do, mainly because I certainly will line up to get any boosters should they be needed and I expect children will be able to get the vaccine before the new year.

Im done caring about people who choose to make poor decisions, this is America, you are free to ruin your life provided it doesn’t impinge on someone else’s freedom. I’ll simply shake my head and move on, knowing Darwin’s theory of evolution continues to be relevant.

The only people I’ll feel sorry for are the immunosuppressed, but I currently know of no way to protect them sadly.
My inlaws are immunosuppressed so we've been advised to keep masking even though fully vaxxed so we can visit with them. I really could care less what anybody thinks about me still masking besides most around here still are

eliza61nyc

Anyone who is offended by someone else wearing a mask is a self righteous idiot. I wouldn’t put any stock in their opinion.
luckily around here we are seeing a mix, In the supermarkets, stores and mall it seems the vast majority are still masking up. outside only here and there.
They are slowly bringing back live entertainment and summer festivals.
Thankfully everyone seems to be acting like adults, no one blinks an eye if people are still masked. I have two good girlfriends who are vaccinated and still mask up, mainly because they are the primary care givers for their senior parents.

Touchdown

Thankfully everyone seems to be acting like adults, no one blinks an eye if people are still masked. I have two good girlfriends who are vaccinated and still mask up, mainly because they are the primary care givers for their senior parents.
Don’t count on that continuing, we’ve seen far too many altercations (see airline and supermarket freak outs, Jan 6th, etc) it’s only a matter of time sadly.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
You know, like, basic facts and stuff.

Turns out my comment was outdated from an article I had read just a few days ago. Way back then, it was doubling every two weeks, now it's every 7-10 days.

And we're not even getting good data out of Florida - only once a week - so it will take 3 weeks to even begin to spot a trend.

Quote:
"As of Sunday, the Delta variant was responsible for about 10.3% of US Covid-19 cases, according to Dr. Eric Topol, the founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, whose outbreak.info has been tracking variants throughout the pandemic.
The may not seem like a lot, but the speed with which it's spreading is a concern.

"It doubles every seven to 10 days, which means when it gets to three weeks from now, this variant will be dominant," Topol said. "That means we have two to three weeks to just go flat out with vaccination to stop this trend."

Vaccinations generally seem to keep variants in check. The Alpha strain, for instance, is the dominant strain in the United States and has been since about late April. But with exceptions such as Michigan, it didn't cause surges in cases in most parts of the country.
Topol said that the US was able to "ante up" and go "full tilt on vaccination" when the variant arrived in the United States.

With the Delta variant, Topol isn't as optimistic.
"This is the most troubling variant by far, because it's another 60% more contagious than the Alpha, so it's a super spreader strain," Topol said. But the vaccination rate is stalling.

While 43.9% in the US is fully vaccinated, according to the CDC, the rate at which people are getting vaccinated has been slowing down.
In Mississippi, nearly 29% of population is fully vaccinated. In Alabama it's less than 31%. In Arkansas, less than 33%. In Louisiana, Georgia, and Wyoming it's less than 34%, according to CDC data."
I did read that article but I've also seen and heard this about 100 times on CNN and other outlets articles. As always, we will just have to see, but given the data we have, right now, there shouldn't be much concern with this variant, as with the others given the effectiveness of the vaccines. We are still seeing less and less cases a day as a nation, and that is great news. There also hasn't been a spike driven by Memorial Day, since we are about 15 days post that weekend.

Side note, let's continue to try to be civil, sarcasm isn't needed. I did preface my comment that I wasn't trying to offend you, but looks like I missed the mark on that.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Just want to let you know that not all front line workers got a bump in pay. My wife is a nurse at a major hospital in Massachusetts. She worked during the first March 2020 surge when their hospitals had over twice the number of Covid patients than at any time during the fall of 2020 or spring of 2021. Not only did her hospital not give any extra pay for that time, they also reclassified floating to other sections of the hospital for Covid as "reassignment" so they didn't have to pay the float differential. Oh, she did get a $10 dunkin donuts card though, if you want to count that. LOL
Yeah that stinks. I don't know what came of USPS workers demanding hazard pay either. At my husband's essential legal firm where he's IT, they all had pay cuts to help clients who couldn't pay while making sure no one was laid off. Granted they were not out in public as much but considered essential. Many on those types of jobs weren't financially rewarded (power, telecom/internet, IT - you know the ones keeping your work at home going). Though husband's company did send cookies :D

I've kind of given up on my state. Looks like we are doing about .1% of the population daily. Just hoping we have enough natural immunity to go with our roughly 50% vaccinated.

GaBoy

Perhaps the deep southern states can get some sort of a clue to improve their numbers to get shots into the residents arms.
It'll never happen down here. But the old saying is, "if you're going to be stupid, you better be tough". My family is all vaccinated and done with them. Waste of time and breath here.
Edit... "done worrying with them". I still have years to work and have a relationship with a lot of these people I mention and its not worth making this a hard line.

Last edited:

Willmark

Oh...over the last 15 months there has been solid “support” for every kook theory, misdirection and misunderstanding take of the whole episode.

and then they’d all pop back up in rotation. Too many to list.

but it all came back to ground zero: “I want my Disney!” Or some similar thing.
Spoiled people.
To be fair a lot of theories on a lot of things over the last year lacked support or were dismissed not always, but largely/solely as to who the messenger of said point was.

Case in point the origins of said virus was dismissed vehemently by anyone who strayed away from “it was naturally occurring” stance. Those of us who asked the question of whether it was inadvertently released from a lab to borrow your phrase were labeled “kooks”.

But now that it’s being investigated as a plausibly? What changed? (Note thats rhetorical) and further note so I am crystal clear: I didn’t say it was created in a lab.

And this ties into this topic here because it’s important to understand why so Disney isn’t closed again and the fanatics can get their fix.

lisa12000

I do think the situation here in the uk is different to the US. We have such close ties with india both socially and economically that the rush to get home prior to them being red listed caused the delta variant to seed all over the country but especially in the north west where there is much lower vaccine take up in parts and more multi generational households as well as higher deprivation and manual Labour - all of this creates a perfect storm (alongside our incompetent PM) which allowed it to spread unchecked. I’ve no doubt that it will become the dominant strain elsewhere but also remember that our prevelance was very low when it came in so didn’t take much for it to become dominant - I mean if an area had 10 cases jn a week like mine it doesn’t take much for delta to take over!

Also our double vaxx rates are much higher now at around 58% by today with 80% one doses and now finally being offered to over 21s and over 18s in many areas so can’t say it’s much lower than the US now? Also our deaths are still very low with just 3 hospital deaths in england today and 2 in Scotland - hopefully it stops this way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom