coronado springs or wilderness lodge?

WishIWasAtWDW

so what are your thoughts? my best friend from college and i will be going for either 3 or 4 nights and we are not sure if we should stay at cs or the wl. i have never stayed at either but i think i would prefer to stay at the wl. i think price is a factor for my friend so i just want to see if it is worth the extra money to stay at the wl. thanks!

Buzz2001

The big advantage to WL is everything is in one building and they have a boat to MK.

Both resorts have queen beds, LG 42" LCD tv's, and a fitness center.

I prefer the main pool at CSR, its a bit larger and has a better slide.

CSR has a dance club too.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

If price isn't a factor, I'd go with Wilderness Lodge. No contest. For what it's worth, according to this year's Unofficial Guide Reader Report Card, Coronado finished in last place overall among WDW resorts. WL finished at the top.

Theming, bigger rooms, better restaurants, closer to Magic Kingdom, closer to other on-site restaurants, electrical water pageant. Hard to top that.

Upvote 0

UberMouse

Wilderness Lodge! That is my favorite place besides the Contemporary. Especially at Christmas. We almost always book our December trip at WL.

Upvote 0
This is making me nervous! We have stayed at Wilderness and loved it. Our usual WDW hotel is the Polynesian, which we love. Due to finances, we booked our next trip at Coronado Springs (the two queen beds convinced us that we might be equally comfortable for much less $!). Did we do the right thing?

Upvote 0

liz-adam

You are going to notice a big difference is resort quality. The rooms are just not as nice. We have stayed at moderate resorts a few times and been happy overall. But, we spend little to no time in our room. We joined the DVC last year and I was happy to say goodbye to the moderate resorts, but unless you plan to spend some, to a lot, of time at your resort, I think you will still be happy.

Upvote 0

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
thanks for the advice everyone. i think i may be able to convince my friend to go for the wilderness lodge. i just think that location is so worth the cost. thanks again!

Upvote 0

accord99cutie

Premium Member
For what it's worth, according to this year's Unofficial Guide Reader Report Card, Coronado finished in last place overall among WDW resorts. WL finished at the top.
I'm curious where you are seeing that CSR was in last?! Coronado is not the last, in ANY category lsted by UG.... at least from what I can see:shrug:

I really love Coronado, it is my first pick for a resort in the Moderate Category, and it's going to be very difficult for me to stay at a different resort this trip!!

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

I don't put much stock into the guide books, especially the UG. They are outdated by the time they are released. CSR has just undergone a complete renovation and the rooms are fantastic. No offense to Len but we've never seen eye to eye. They probably haven't even stayed there since the rehab. They still have the old room pictures on their website.

Upvote 0

muteki

Just got back from CSR, and while it is no competition to WL, it is by no means last place of all resorts. The queen beds and flat screens elevate it quite a bit I think.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We haven't stayed at CSR since the remodel, but we didn't really care for the resort all that much. Depending on where your room is you are quite a walk to many areas. We were close to the main area (main bus, check in, dining) but we had quite a trek to the Dig Site, never did see any CM's giving rides in golf carts during our 8 day stay.

Upvote 0

jeffk410

yes. dont follow the UG.. I love CSR one of the best resorts I have stayed at. I have stayed at many also. Can't speak for wilderness lodge though.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I can't say whether to follow the UG or not. I don't personally go by them as they seem to love the Contemporary and I think it's the ugliest hotel on property. This however, wasn't the UG's opinion, it was the readers. At least, that's what their website says. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as Coronado's individual ratings seem higher in most categories than the Values.:shrug:

ETA: It's low ratings could come from the Would you stay there again category, where it ranks 4th from the bottom. Then again, WL ranks 5th from the bottom, and that's my favorite resort. I honestly can't see where the ranking is coming from.

Upvote 0

Hobnail Boot

I've stayed at CSR once and it was definitely the last time. Our biggest problem was the noise. The walls must be paper thin because we heard everything in the rooms next to us and outside our door. We weren't very impressed with the themeing either.

The Wilderness Lodge however is one of our favorite resorts. We stayed there for the first time this past New Years and it blew away our expectations. The food at Whispering Canyon was excellent and the lobby is awe inspiring. We were looking at it again for our May or July trips but opted to stay at the Polynesian and Contemporary respectively because we have never stayed there before. We will be back, though!

Upvote 0

Scar Junior

Yesterday I booked Coronado for March 16-23. Although it's not my favorite Moderate... I highly disagree with those who think it's noisy... We've stayed there three times before and one of the things we liked about it is how quiet it is. It's not a 'kid resort.' It's an older crowd than the All Stars and Pop Century. The main pool area is busy, but the room buildings and other pools are quiet and a nice place for a couple or some friends to talk at night.

I was spoiled forever with DVC (until we had to sell it) and that's why I was kind of depressed that we "had" to stay at a Moderate... Ironically, this thread has made me more supportive of Coronado. When I think back, I remember far more good things than bad things. Also, it has queen beds and a good TV. It's a great resort... all things considered.

Oh, and to the OP: I've stayed at WL Villas as well... and though it is beautiful, for some reason I am just not that into the MK area resorts. I'd choose the cost savings of a moderate resort and push some of that money toward a few great meals.

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

Yesterday I booked Coronado for March 16-23. Although it's not my favorite Moderate... I highly disagree with those who think it's noisy... We've stayed there three times before and one of the things we liked about it is how quiet it is. It's not a 'kid resort.' It's an older crowd than the All Stars and Pop Century. The main pool area is busy, but the room buildings and other pools are quiet and a nice place for a couple or some friends to talk at night.

I was spoiled forever with DVC (until we had to sell it) and that's why I was kind of depressed that we "had" to stay at a Moderate... Ironically, this thread has made me more supportive of Coronado. When I think back, I remember far more good things than bad things. Also, it has queen beds and a good TV. It's a great resort... all things considered.

Oh, and to the OP: I've stayed at WL Villas as well... and though it is beautiful, for some reason I am just not that into the MK area resorts. I'd choose the cost savings of a moderate resort and push some of that money toward a few great meals.
I agree. 11 trips and never an issue with noise, convention guests or cm's.

As for walking, there are rooms at WL that you can end up walking just as far to the lobby /bus stop the difference is that you are indoors.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

As for walking, there are rooms at WL that you can end up walking just as far to the lobby /bus stop the difference is that you are indoors.

Sorry, but that is flat out not true. There are no rooms at the WL that are as far from the main lobby as the furthest room at Coronado from the lobby. As for the bus stops, that might be true as there are multiple stops at Coronado. Difference is, once you get on the bus at WL, you're on your way, not making 3 more stops.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom