News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
What were people expecting the rooms to be themed as? Here's a Y&B room...

View attachment 329142

How is that more theming than any of the Destino rooms?

They're both lackluster compared to the competition.

Truthfully, it's an apples and oranges comparison. The Y&B was built in 1990, and even the rooms have been refreshed and modernized a couple of times since then, but there are limitations as to what these updates can do. When it was built however, compared to the off-property competition it was significantly nicer, however since then the completion has stepped up its game with its offerings.

Gran Destino is a brand new resort, as such it should be compared to one. The biggest critique of the rooms and decor is not that it's without theming, it is that what is in the room is generic. Newer non-Disney deluxe hotels have so stepped up their game, that they're bringing a better product to guests. That better product makes Disney's seem ordinary.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They're both lackluster compared to the competition.

Truthfully, it's an apples and oranges comparison. The Y&B was built in 1990, and even the rooms have been refreshed and modernized a couple of times since then, but there are limitations as to what these updates can do. When it was built however, compared to the off-property competition it was significantly nicer, however since then the completion has stepped up its game with its offerings.

Gran Destino is a brand new resort, as such it should be compared to one. The biggest critique of the rooms and decor is not that it's without theming, it is that what is in the room is generic. Newer non-Disney deluxe hotels have so stepped up their game, that they're bringing a better product to guests. That better product makes Disney's seem ordinary.

I don't see the rooms in the Gran Destino as being generic. They have some nice, unique features, IMO.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
On a side note, for a bit of Coronado Springs nostalgia, search for the Sevilla Inn in Kissimmee. They are under new management with a fairly recent renovation. Their rooms look somewhat familiar for some odd reason...

https://www.sevillainn.net/rooms.html
😂
Having stayed at CSR numerous times in the old rooms, I can’t even begin to tell you how much we apppreciated the refurbed room on our most recent trip.

And technically, there are now MORE Disney touches in the rooms - not less.

Haters gonna hate. Complainers gonna complain.
And yet I wonder how many of these people actually stay at Coronado to be affected by any of the changes.

Our past two trips/22 days, we willingly put up with the construction, scummed over Lago Dorado, pool closures, Pepper Market change over, and reduced walkways, so I can’t wait to see the finished product.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
A typo what? ;) Sorry this joke is going nowhere fast. I was just trying to make a funny but the internet can be so serious.
I wonder why...
1543589921781.png

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
This is probably a little tiny bit off-topic but..

I'm supposed to be staying at Coronado in 2 months. With "Magic Your Way" I saved a pretty penny but i'm still spending 200 a night at this place.

2 questions I suppose: what's the benefit of staying here over a budget hotel (when the budgets are getting the skyliner) and 2. will Coronado be backed up with excess traffic / cut off services or paths due to this construction?

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
You can find deals at the Dolphin usually around that same price and it is more convenient than Coronado Springs...

Thanks. I checked Costco Travel, Swan / Dolphin package is 3200. I'm dishing out 2k for hotel + tickets at Coronado. Swan's website shows no availability.

I'm more or less curious as to why I should keep the moderate booked over a budget.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
This is probably a little tiny bit off-topic but..

I'm supposed to be staying at Coronado in 2 months. With "Magic Your Way" I saved a pretty penny but i'm still spending 200 a night at this place.

2 questions I suppose: what's the benefit of staying here over a budget hotel (when the budgets are getting the skyliner) and 2. will Coronado be backed up with excess traffic / cut off services or paths due to this construction?
The Pepper Market changeover to El Mercado is complete. Panchito’s Gift Shop very recently re-opened as well.

The Dig Site is certainly supposed to re-open within the next two months.

All walking paths are open, but some have screened fencing blocking your views of construction.

YMMV, but we won’t stay anywhere else. Even in the thick of construction, there were so many beautiful touches everywhere. We can’t wait for next year!

All pics from this past September:

5D83017F-1ECC-4C67-B152-3C08EF361EC9.jpeg
D010ABD2-5A8F-4192-AED2-9427FA489A41.jpeg
1EADFEAF-80CC-431B-B53F-B846BCCCA3D1.jpeg
6A8F43EA-9656-4D4E-9053-E1157B88A285.jpeg
CF065D40-E471-4E25-84D3-BE6E22C41D29.jpeg
5914A404-939D-4C8C-8C2F-C41EA02512FD.jpeg
4B19E946-86B6-495C-8B0D-5C023E650DB5.jpeg
B76D2FA7-AB3E-40D9-983B-BB301B92F543.jpeg

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
The Pepper Market changeover to El Mercado is complete. Panchito’s Gift Shop very recently re-opened as well.

The Dig Site is certainly supposed to re-open within the next two months.

All walking paths are open, but some have screened fencing blocking your views of construction.

YMMV, but we won’t stay anywhere else. Even in the thick of construction, there were so many beautiful touches everywhere. We can’t wait for next year!

All pics from this past September:

View attachment 329354View attachment 329355View attachment 329356View attachment 329357View attachment 329358View attachment 329359View attachment 329360View attachment 329361

Gorgeous!! Thank you for taking the time to share these photos! Not sure what the Pepper Market or Dig Site and Panchito's are but it sounds like we're going to have a great stay.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Gorgeous!! Thank you for taking the time to share these photos! Not sure what the Pepper Market or Dig Site and Panchito's are but it sounds like we're going to have a great stay.
Panchito’s is the gift shop. We didn’t take pics this year, because it was only about 1/3 open.

Pepper Market - now the El Mercado, is the quick service dining area. I love the new crisper, cleaner look; others miss the kitschy look that used to reign supreme.

The Dig Site is the main pool area. These pics are from 09/16 and 09/17, as it closed for refurb the day before we arrived this year.

914CD81D-63C7-476C-A51B-FD5AF46B4EFF.jpeg
A4D4F000-30E4-4774-BC8C-8F57BFF56D03.jpeg
556A54F8-1C99-47EE-9559-CC5E6240AAE0.jpeg
A6B34706-6D99-4EA7-8FCA-CAD4A7CA50A3.jpeg
BAACB610-519E-43AF-BAC1-13839018CE90.jpeg

0B059E87-5755-4341-95E4-9BF04A5C40B1.jpeg

flyerjab

Panchito’s is the gift shop. We didn’t take pics this year, because it was only about 1/3 open.

Pepper Market - now the El Mercado, is the quick service dining area. I love the new crisper, cleaner look; others miss the kitschy look that used to reign supreme.

The Dig Site is the main pool area. These pics are from 09/16 and 09/17, as it closed for refurb the day before we arrived this year.

View attachment 329363View attachment 329364View attachment 329365View attachment 329366View attachment 329367
View attachment 329369

Tim Tracker did a video report on this resort earlier this year and he raved about some of the improvements that have been made to this resort on the whole. He couldn't obviously comment on the tower or new restaurants as they are still being built. He was focusing more on the rest of the resort and couldn't say enough nice things about it.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Tim Tracker did a video report on this resort earlier this year and he raved about some of the improvements that have been made to this resort on the whole. He couldn't obviously comment on the tower or new restaurants as they are still being built. He was focusing more on the rest of the resort and couldn't say enough nice things about it.
I saw it. He kept calling Casitas “Castias”. 😂

The tower is what it is. It’s big and imposing, but we can’t wait to dine here in September. Maybe more than once.

I have a feeling for our next trip I will be immediately pre or post hip replacement, so I suspect we’ll be spending way more time at the resort than usual.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, December 16, 2018. The steel frame for the new porte-cochere in front of the new tower is huge, 3 stories tall. The new large parking lot in front of the original resort's lobby is open. The new parking lot is rather sterile, with limited landscaping except around the edges. The pathway from the new parking lot to the original resort's lobby is still around the side, with most of the old porte-cochere blocked off to vehicle traffic (temporary).

IMG_0933.JPG

A view of the back of the new resort tower, with the lobby in the center.

IMG_0937.JPG

A close up of the interior, showing the decorative feature around the column on the right.

IMG_0936.JPG

An update on the new resort restaurant on the lake.

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

The resort's feature pool has re-opened, with fresh paint and landscaping. The pyramid's landscaping has been reduced. New low-growing plants, rather than tall plants and palms.

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

The pool-side bar.

IMG_0941.JPG

And finally, the new patio next to the Maya Grill with furniture.

IMG_0944.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom