News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yeah, I don't think it is. The rooms look beautiful and functional. Now if you want to claim a thematic failure compared to the older Disney Resorts, I'm sure I can get on board with that but I'm not sure the likes of Wilderness Lodge and Yacht and Beach Club are the bar anymore. Those days were long gone.
Design and theme go hand in hand. If it's a failure of theme, then it's a failure of design.

FWIW.

I agree with you. The days of Wilderness Lodge, or Animal Kingdom Lodge are gone. Stinks, but it is what it is. This hotel is nice. That's good enough.

Jon81uk

The biggest theme park in the UK is Alton Towers, back in 1996 they opened a hotel, with an Edwardian Explorer/Inventor theme.

This is an original room, subtle touches and framed artwork showing his inventions
at-bedroom-1_595_towerstreet_sign_clean.jpg

Recently some rooms got "upgraded" to a Moon Voyage theme, which are in my opinion too garish and over the top, but are much more themed.
moon-voyager-rooms-1200x798.jpg

I know which I would rather stay in, and I feel the same about Disney rooms, there doesn't need to be bright theming on every surface.

lazyboy97o

The biggest theme park in the UK is Alton Towers, back in 1996 they opened a hotel, with an Edwardian Explorer/Inventor theme.

This is an original room, subtle touches and framed artwork showing his inventions
at-bedroom-1_595_towerstreet_sign_clean.jpg

Recently some rooms got "upgraded" to a Moon Voyage theme, which are in my opinion too garish and over the top, but are much more themed.
moon-voyager-rooms-1200x798.jpg

I know which I would rather stay in, and I feel the same about Disney rooms, there doesn't need to be bright theming on every surface.
Themed doesn’t mean filled with stuff. Very simple, minimalist design without much decoration, ornament or props can be highly themed and more themed than a space filled with lots of ornament and props. The success of theme is relative to the story being told.

Jon81uk

Themed doesn’t mean filled with stuff. Very simple, minimalist design without much decoration, ornament or props can be highly themed and more themed than a space filled with lots of ornament and props. The success of theme is relative to the story being told.

That's pretty much exactly my point too. Less is more.

lazyboy97o

That's pretty much exactly my point too. Less is more.
Less is only more if it is appropriate to the story. You’re photos are not really an example of “less is more” in regards to themed design but the difference between themed experience and themed decor. The first photo places you within an idea but the second one does not. The space room is a lot of stuff and images that remind one of Space, but it does not really place you there. It’s the difference between building the Batcave and filling a room with Batman memorabilia. Both may be described as a ‘Batman themed room’ but vastly different in how they function as a space.

But going on what a lot of people are saying, that's what they want.
Who has said anything implying anything close to that?

peter11435

I've read a few comments that Gran Destino doesn't tell a story. I guess I'm not understanding what stories the resorts are supposed to be telling.

Saying the Contemporary is supposed to be "staying in a futuristic hotel" isn't a story.
The contemporary is about the only Disney resort you could try to make that argument with. Which is likely why you chose to use that as your example. Most Disney resorts due tell a story and certainly exhibit themed design and placemaking.

starri42

The contemporary is about the only Disney resort you could try to make that argument with. Which is likely why you chose to use that as your example. Most Disney resorts due tell a story and certainly exhibit themed design and placemaking.
Okay, then what's the story of the Boardwalk, beyond "staying on the beach at Atlantic City" or Pop Century besides "boy, that's a big bowling pin?"

lazyboy97o

I've read a few comments that Gran Destino doesn't tell a story. I guess I'm not understanding what stories the resorts are supposed to be telling.

Saying the Contemporary is supposed to be "staying in a futuristic hotel" isn't a story.
Okay, then what's the story of the Boardwalk, beyond "staying on the beach at Atlantic City" or Pop Century besides "boy, that's a big bowling pin?"
Story in the context of themed entertainment does not exclusively mean linear narrative.

The Value Resorts are not themed experience but themed decor, so they do not follow the concept of placing one in a story.

Kamikaze

Design and theme go hand in hand. If it's a failure of theme, then it's a failure of design.

FWIW.

I agree with you. The days of Wilderness Lodge, or Animal Kingdom Lodge are gone. Stinks, but it is what it is. This hotel is nice. That's good enough.

If resort theming is so very important to you, you'll be first in line for the Starship resort, correct?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They absolutely can and in many cases do. As was pointed out story doesn’t necessarily have to be a linear narrative in this case.

Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Port Orleans.... there is absolutely a story being told. If you can’t see that than we are not the ones being naive.
Of course there is. It’s silly to suggest otherwise. Weird we are agreeing. Cheers 🍻

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom