News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

eddie104

I guess I don’t understand the storytelling by design assessment. Every WDW resort evokes a theme sure, and some pull it off better than others. But they aren’t attractions, they’re themed resorts. Are you saying this isn’t?
Not to speak for that poster but I think they prefer the more in your face style of theming. I guess this hotel a little too modern and subtle for their taste which I can understand. But then they claim Disney doesn’t know to do that style of theming anymore but I disagree with that

Sam Magic

These resorts seem a little bland and light on architectural theming/design. Seems like I could find this hotel at any American southeast beachfront. It doesn't have a consistent design and lacks any kind of exterior theming like we're used to getting from Disney. It looks like a high-end Marriott, which within itself isn't bad, it just doesn't look like a 'Disney' resort.

But I've noticed a worrying trend over the past few years of Disney getting kind of lazy with design. Not just in hotels, but even in branding. The new DHS logo being an obvious example.

I'm not sure if I'm describing how I'm feeling about these changes, but it just seems like Disney has lost its 'Disney' flair and has become rather bland, rather posh, and lacking in the kind of uniqueness we've come to expect from the company. Perhaps this is the price we pay for Disney becoming a monopoly? Their product begins to lack the qualities that made it unique in the first place?

eddie104

These resorts seem a little bland and light on architectural theming/design. Seems like I could find this hotel at any American southeast beachfront. It doesn't have a consistent design and lacks any kind of exterior theming like we're used to getting from Disney. It looks like a high-end Marriott, which within itself isn't bad, it just doesn't look like a 'Disney' resort.

But I've noticed a worrying trend over the past few years of Disney getting kind of lazy with design. Not just in hotels, but even in branding. The new DHS logo being an obvious example.

I'm not sure if I'm describing how I'm feeling about these changes, but it just seems like Disney has lost its 'Disney' flair and has become rather bland, rather posh, and lacking in the kind of uniqueness we've come to expect from the company. Perhaps this is the price we pay for Disney becoming a monopoly? Their product begins to lack the qualities that made it unique in the first place?
I think we are beating a dead horse with this topic at this point. Some people like the new resorts and others don’t which is fine. But these conclusions that Disney is somehow lost its touch is ridiculous. When they want to go all out on immersion and theming we know they are capable of doing it.

aladdin2007

this, exactly!

dreday3

Watch the short compilation between Disney and Dali - Destino - then watch the videos being released of the hotel.
Now I understand the "theming" even more after watching the video. I was even off-base with the Catalan descriptions, it's more about the short being incorporated (along with Spanish influence)

Destino's influence is all over the resort in the design, the artwork, the colors. Yes, it's definitely a more adult design and that's great.

It may not be your favorite theme or what you are used to seeing from Disney (no characters or I don't know?) but no doubt about it, there is high caliber theming and immersion in this hotel.

I get people don't like it, that's cool.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

I think we are beating a dead horse with this topic at this point. Some people like the new resorts and others don’t which is fine. But these conclusions that Disney is somehow lost its touch is ridiculous. When they want to go all out on immersion and theming we know they are capable of doing it.
Since the opening of AKL and the Grand Californian resort almost two decades ago, what stateside Disney resort convinces you the company knows how to create an immersively themed hotel?

lazyboy97o

I guess I don’t understand the storytelling by design assessment. Every WDW resort evokes a theme sure, and some pull it off better than others. But they aren’t attractions, they’re themed resorts. Are you saying this isn’t?
Story is not just linear narrative. Lands have stories and some of the best lack the very specific backstory that has become more common since the 80s. The typical conceit of the moderate and deluxe resorts is placing people into romantic images of particular places but that doesn’t have to be the only concept. Ultimately the story and the theme are the central idea that organizes all aspects of the design, not just wall textures and chandeliers, but also the layout, size and shape of spaces as well as things like the food and lighting and music. If you like it fine, but given that everyone is describing its theme as something different, not to mention the long list that Disney themselves use, it seems there is not much to support that this is a strong execution of a cohesive idea.

Not to speak for that poster but I think they prefer the more in your face style of theming. I guess this hotel a little too modern and subtle for their taste which I can understand. But then they claim Disney doesn’t know to do that style of theming anymore but I disagree with that
There is nothing subtle about the design of this hotel. The hotel having a contemporary design isn’t related to it lacking focus and consistency.

Missing20K

Of course, Catalan theming muddies it further and is particularly interesting to ponder considering Catalonia's increasingly forceful assertion of a unique national identity and push for independence from Spain right now!
Almost as if WDI didn't do much research about Catalan culture. Weird.
My most recent stay was at the Grand Floridian, and that room honestly didn't really match the price we were paying.
Not a hotel room on property that matches the price you pay.
"contempofusion Hispania."
You're a man of many words, but these two might be my favorite.
I'd like to ask a question - when is the last time Disney World constructed a hotel that had a unique architectural structure? I'm not talking about aesthetics, I'm talking about structure. Wilderness Lodge? OK, but at the end of the day it's not that unique - it's a large hotel with several wings and a national park lodge inspired aesthetic. Animal Kingdom Lodge? Same thing, different continent. The DVC's? Beach Club/Yacht Club? Gorgeous aesthetics, but again, basic hotel structure. I think you have to go back to the original big 3 Seven Seas resorts for something that seemed uniquely-Disney in its structure.

I agree with those that say this seems kind of generic, aesthetically. But to say it doesn't feel "Disney" because it looks similar to a hotel you'd see anywhere is conveniently overlooking the last 25 years of copy-cat resort architecture.
Contemporary was a unique structure, but neither the Poly or the Grand were.

Virtually none of Disney architecture is unique in a structural engineering sense. It makes zero sense financially to explore new structural construction methods when that money needs to be spent on theming and amenities. However, that does not preclude mundane structures from being assertively themed environments.
Watch the short compilation between Disney and Dali - Destino - then watch the videos being released of the hotel.
Now I understand the "theming" even more after watching the video. I was even off-base with the Catalan descriptions, it's more about the short being incorporated (along with Spanish influence)

Destino's influence is all over the resort in the design, the artwork, the colors. Yes, it's definitely a more adult design and that's great.

It may not be your favorite theme or what you are used to seeing from Disney (no characters or I don't know?) but no doubt about it, there is high caliber theming and immersion in this hotel.

I get people don't like it, that's cool.
I must have watched a different Destino. Did Dali make a sequel? ;)

Last edited:

RobbinsDad

Almost as if WDI didn't do much research about Catalan culture. Weird.

Not a hotel room on property that matches the price you pay.

Your a man of many words, but these two might be my favorite.

Contemporary was a unique structure, but neither the Poly or the Grand were.

Virtually none of Disney architecture is unique in a structural engineering sense. It makes zero sense financially to explore new structural construction methods when that money needs to be spent on theming and amenities. However, that does not preclude mundane structures from being assertively themed environments.

I must have watched a different Destino. Did Dali make a sequel? ;)
Here we go again but now a new descriptor - assertively themed. The hotel's theme has been interpreted by the corporation. Whether you like it or not is your prerogative. But the truth is there is no standard for measuring the Disneyness of a Disney resort hotel - it's in the eye of the beholder.

lazyboy97o

Here we go again but now a new descriptor - assertively themed. The hotel's theme has been interpreted by the corporation. Whether you like it or not is your prerogative. But the truth is there is no standard for measuring the Disneyness of a Disney resort hotel - it's in the eye of the beholder.
There are standards by which themed entertainment is judged. Very few would likely say a themed hotel covered in chrome and neon has a strong Beaux Arts design.

Sam Magic

This would run in contrast to what Disney has told us for a few decades now.

They've told us that the standard measure of the Disneyness of a Disney resort hotel comes in how much more immersive the theming is compared to non-Disney resorts. That is the metric. They've told us this every time they talk about a hotel, a land, a restaurant. What sets Disney apart is the immersive theming. It is Disney by fundamentally not being something you would find off property.

Is this objectively a nice hotel? Yes it is. Some bits are a little too gaudy for my personal taste, and if they're going for a Catalan theme--or Gaudi--they've missed the mark, but objectively it is a nice hotel. I would be proud to have this in my city or really any city in America. But ask yourself, aside from the odd hidden mickey or abstract portrait of Walt, can you honestly say you can't see this resort existing off property? I can't. This hotel fits perfectly into a worrying trend that has developed in American architecture of "anywhereness". This hotel could be anywhere, it is void of true space, place, or time. That alone divorces it from the Disney brand.

Some of you might, and have said, that this is not important. That these are little things that no one notices. That no one really cares about this stuff. And sure, you'd be right. But since 1955, what has set Disney apart is that they care; they care about the little things no one notices or cares about. It seems with this resort, and other choices they've made, they have joined the chorus of convention they previously shunned and abandoned their care. Why go the extra mile when you can just about make it across the finish line?

Beyond this hotel just look at the Marvel Land in Disneyland Paris. Recently concept art for the original plan leaked showing a New York themed street with high detail and immersive place making. Compare that to what Disney is actually building; a rather bland and lightly themed "futuristic" warehouses.

Proposed:

Actual:

Disney is still above what other resorts like Six Flags would do, but it's not longer meeting the standards it has set for 65 years.

cosmicgirl

Since the opening of AKL and the Grand Californian resort almost two decades ago, what stateside Disney resort convinces you the company knows how to create an immersively themed hotel?
I think they did a fantastic job with Aulani, despite it being made up of giant towers. I visited the Poly a couple of months after staying at Aulani and it paled in comparison.
For all worried about the courtyard fountain, it’s been cleaned, refilled and currently running. If a planter is in its future, that future is not today.
Maybe, just maybe, they listened to us. ;)

Regarding the Gran Destino I'll start off by saying that I haven't watched any videos or pictures other than the ones that were posted in this thread. I want to see it irl first. However, from what I have seen, I agree that it lacks something. It looks very pretty and all but the pictures instantly made me think of hotels in Dubai for some reason. If you've ever been maybe you can relate.

I don't know enough about art or architecture to know whether it's influenced by Gaudi, Dali, Mexico, the Southwest, Barcelona, Spain, or Catalonia. But the fact that pretty much all of those are mentioned in one breath irks me the same way the Riviera story does. I didn't hear anything about the Destino (Dali/Disney) inspiration until a few days ago and, as with Riviera, it feels like they had decided on what they wanted to do long before the "crap, we need a story" bell went off. So the story of the resort as a whole became a bit of an afterthought and was molded to explain their choices.

I still love CSR and I'll still stay there but to me it doesn't appear to have the same charm the old setup does/did. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see it in real life. I'll give it a chance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom