Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, or Port Orleans??

jozzmenia

OK, as the Queen of indecisiveness, i am still having trouble finalizing decisions for our trip. Now I am leaning towards a moderate resort. The all-star resorts seem unappealing compared to what we're used to, plus we want a waterslide, and the deluxe resorts seem quite overpriced. So, now I can't decide which resort and know this is the place to go. We are African American, so I thought my boyfriend might like the music on the French Quarter part of port orleans, or also coronado springs. i wanted the beach from caribbean beach, or the southern feel of port orleans. i'm really not sure. so i'm wondering which u would choose and why?

thanks!

shoppingnut

I like POR because they have a sit down restaurant for breakfast. I can't always handle the people in the food court first thing in the morning. POFQ is nice too. Both have a boat that you can take to DTD.

CS I'm not crazy about because of the way their food court works and that the hotel is very spread out, but they are a convention hotel, so there tend to be less kids there which can be a plus.

CB is very spread out and walking to the food courts are not that close.

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

We've stayed at all the moderates as well as the All stars. We find it worth it to spend a little extra and stay at the Moderates. We've stayed at POR the last 3 trips. It has a great food court, nice sit down restaurant (actually for breakfast, the sit down restaurant (Boatwrights) is no more expensive than the food court. POR is a little spread out, and can be a long walk from your hotel room depending on where you are staying. POFQ is also very nice, and the theming and landscaping make both of these resorts beautiful. Both have waterslides, and a boat that will take you to DD which is nice. The jazz band at the bar at POFQ is a relaxing way to chill out and have a drink after a long day at the parks. Carribean Beach is also very nice with a nice food court and nice themed pool. Again, depending on where your room is ,it can be quite a walk to the food court and main pool area. Coronado Springs is very nice also. I think it has the best themed pool of the moderates. The rooms are pretty spread out from the main building, and the selection of restaurants is limited to the Pepper Market and the Maya Grille. Coronado Springs does offer the most efficient bus service of the moderates though. So I guess there is plus and minuses to all 3. Also, depending on the time of year you are going you can often get rooms at the Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge for not much more than you would pay at the moderates.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty much a die-hard POFQ fan. It's the only place I've ever stayed in my three trips, and we will be staying there again in September. The food at the food court is really just "okay" (I was bummed when they closed the sit down restaurant) but as you won't be spending too much time there eating, I'd say that it's a non-factor. The pool is GREAT...if you are planning on spending any time at your hotel pool, consider this as a plus. I love the themeing, it really does remind me of NOLA, so maybe I'm a little biased because I adore New Orleans. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you can rely on excellent Disney service.

Good luck and have a great trip!!

Upvote 0

Disneycoog

Ups and downs

We visted the FQ last July and had a wonderful experience that we chose the FQ again and we just got back right before the Tropical Storm is gonna hit. This timethough was not a friendly. Room was not ready til late that night, room cleaning was a different times each day, and the hot water brokedown our last day there, The game room that myu son likes to play in took alot of money and most of the games were broke down. My other complaint was we are on the Disney Dining plan and the year before ate at Boatwights. It was the best meal I have ever eaten anywhere. This year they changed their menus and gave smaller protions and the food was average at best. Still had a wonderful time at teh parks and the pool is awesome.

Upvote 0

darrylpan

I always stay at POR. The theming is beautiful and it is very relaxing to walk around the landscaped grounds. The food court while not the best is fine for breakfast and refilling your mugs. Boatwrights use to be one of the most popular restaurants on property. Mousekeeping does a great job and all the CMs have been friendly and helpful in the past. Of all the moderates it's the best choice.

Upvote 0

jozzmenia

Original Poster
Based on a few posts in another thread, i expected this to be a tribute to Coronado Springs - boy was I surprised. Didn't know so many people liked PO so much. I should have just asked about POFQ and POR b/c I don't really no many differences. I'm, going to start a new thread to that effect.

Man, that's why this MB is so great!

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

We just got back from Caribean Beach, and really disliked the set up and size. We love both of the Port Orleans resorts--I prefer French Quarter because it is so much smaller, but I'd happily stay at Riverside again, too.

Upvote 0

WDWFREAK12

darrylpan said:
I always stay at POR. The theming is beautiful and it is very relaxing to walk around the landscaped grounds. The food court while not the best is fine for breakfast and refilling your mugs. Boatwrights use to be one of the most popular restaurants on property. Mousekeeping does a great job and all the CMs have been friendly and helpful in the past. Of all the moderates it's the best choice.
I TOTALLY AGREE GREAT DESCRIPTION!:D

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Port Orleans wins out for us for a couple of reasons.

1. Water access to DTD. Due to the route the busses have to follow to get to DTD the ride is quite long. At PO you hop on a boat, float past the Tree House Villas and Saratoga Springs and get dropped off next to Rainforest Café' and Capitan Jacks.
2. The resort is not so spread out. CS and CB are huge resorts built around a large lake. While this is very beautiful it can make for some pretty long walks to the dinning area.

Upvote 0

Mr. WDB

jozzmenia said:
Based on a few posts in another thread, i expected this to be a tribute to Coronado Springs - boy was I surprised. Didn't know so many people liked PO so much. I should have just asked about POFQ and POR b/c I don't really no many differences. I'm, going to start a new thread to that effect.

Really? Coronado Springs? Posts that I've read on other sites were only luke warm about that resort, while Port Orleans (Port Orleans Riverside in particular) has gotten largely rave reviews from the majority of posts and travel reviews I've read. That's why I chose it for my trip next month, after some very extensive research. I've never stayed there before (thus the researching like you're doing), but I have stayed at Carribean Beach resort. The theming in that one didn't really impress me like I thought it would. It didn't really "feel" like you were in the carribean to me (other than the heat:) ) but it wasn't bad. Just okay. Almost everything I've read about POR (and believe me, I read A LOT!) seems to agree that the landscaping and theming is perhaps Disney's best of the resorts. So based on what I have read, I would say go with Port Orleans Riverside, or the French Quarter if you really want to stick with the New Orleans-jazz theme.:sohappy:

I'll be at Riverside 7/8 - 7/15!!!! Can't wait! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

mep517

I would also have to chime in for POR. The boat to DTD, the food court -- and my personal favorite -- the River Roost (is it still open?) are just fantastic. Plus, the walk between the two resorts is wonderful, so peaceful and beautiful. My husband and I just love it there!

The Coronado does have a great pool, however... but my vote is still POR!

Upvote 0

Lyn410

We just got back from POFQ. Not only is it smaller and a short walk to anywhere (we were in Building 1 in the farthest corner from everything) but you can take advantage of all the stuff at both resorts (we spent a few hours fishing at POR and ate there a few times). But the biggest plus for tired feet.... Almost every bus picks up and drops off at POFQ first so there were only a few times we had to stand. Also the first buses in the mornings didn't go to Riverside's stops and MK has separate buses to POFQ (1 stop)and POR (4 stops).

Upvote 0

sbkline

I've never stayed at any of them, but they all look nice. In the poll, I voted for POR, but perhaps that's because that is where we are staying next year, and that was my wife's pick and not necessarily mine. Inititally, my preference was Caribbean Beach, but now, I have my mind set on Port Orleans, since that is where we actually are staying. But my wife was more partial to POR and, after seeing Biernbaum's 2006 book, she decided that she like the Riverside section.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom