Pre-Trip "Corn fed she be..." and other tales from the Seven Seas

“Corn fed she be…” and other tales from the Seven Seas

I am in the ‘pirate’s life for me” mood. I made a fun tank top inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean and I finished printing a large Jolly Roger flag for a friend of mine over the weekend, whose sons’ love everything pirates. It has me totally in the mood for Disney and thank goodness because we are leaving in about 30 days!

We traveled last as a trio in February and last October with all of our crew, but alas they are sailing to England for the fall semester. My sister-in law will be a visiting professor bringing the joy of accounting to her university’s sister school in north London. We are hoping to rendezvous with them in Disneyland in March though. My youngest nephew loves everything Disney and is usually wearing Mickey shirts when we Skype. It will be a trip planned around his birthday, so we are really looking forward to the prospect since we have never been to Disneyland.

We did our Arizona adventure in July and were in Phoenix for the two record breaking temperature days at 116 F. Being monsoon season you can actually feel a little of the humidity, but it is nothing like the shower fresh feeling of the south. People complaining about 30% humidity and such ha ha, they don’t know what pain is! Dry heat and humidity are different animals, but I tend to tolerate dry heat easier.

Details

The Grim(m) trio-no really we are actually quite content most of the time
September 17-26th
Bay Lake Tower September 18th-23rd 2 Bedroom villa
Beach Club Resort 23rd-26th Club Level

Oh the places we will eat-corn fed I be!

Splitsville
Grand Floridian Café
Maria & Enzo’s
Wave
Mama Melrose
Teppan Edo
California Grill
Kona Café
Be Our Guest Lunch
Homecomin’
Trattoria Al Forno
Hacienda De San Angel
Via Napoli
Le Cellier

So who’s ready to join this Captain for a adventure? Come aboard and stow your baggage and keep yer ruddy arms inside the boat!

Itinerary

17th Drive to Cleveland (Rocks.) Have dinner at Legacy Village, shop a little and head to the airport hotel. Get a good night’s rest for the exciting day to come!

Take off out of CLE to MCO September 18th

On this voyage we shall encounter...
18th Tuesday-Arrival around 11:30 AM-head to Boathouse for lunch at Disney Springs or Miller’s Ale House. If we get notice to check in early then hit the Publix and head over to BLT. Otherwise I have a FP for Tomorrowland Speedway and we can head over to the MK. I would rather get early notice, but 2 BDR units are scarce and often you cannot check in till well after 4 PM. For once we do not need to activate or buy anything at Guest Services this trip, but it is the best location to do so in my opinion. So hopefully get settled in the room and head back to Disney Springs for dinner at Splitsville-it was fantastic the first time we ate here. Walk around DS for a while and head back to BLT to catch some fireworks, Electric Water Pageant and or watch the information channels and Stacy.

19th Wednesday-Travel to the Grand Floridian Café for breakfast on the monorail-hopefully it is up and functioning early like us. Heading to the Kingdom for a day of fun then head back for a rest in the early afternoon. We are going to the DVC Member party at Hollywood Studios that night after dinner at Maria & Enzo’s –a new spot for us. It looked pretty impressive from the menu and everyone loves Italian in this party.

20th Thursday-Wave for breakfast-Back to the Studios-hit whatever wasn’t covered the night before! Lunch at Mama Melrose and back to the resort for r&r. Debs needs lots of sleep, so we always give her an opportunity to nap and rest her knee, which needs a replacement as well. Big Daddy and I usually go to the pool, have some beers and sometimes rent sprites to drive around Bay Lake.

21st Friday- Epcot-The Wave for breakfast-off to Epcot. Grab lunch at either Mexico cantina or France Boulangerie, both very good-edge to France for the croissants and coffee. Dinner is at California Grill so no need to worry about travel tonight.

22nd Saturday-Kona Café breakfast- I had to give Debs the opportunity for Tonga Toast. Lunch is at BOG and dinner is later on at Disney Springs for Homecomin’

23rd Sunday-Wave breakfast-moving to Beach Club today so we will pack up and head over and store the cold goodies with bell services. Sometimes the room is ready, but we have FP for TT at 10:45 AM! Again we can grab lunch at France/Mexico or depending on when the room is ready have snacks at the lounge. Dinner is at Trattoria Al Forno on the Boardwalk conveniently.

24th Monday-drive to IHOP for breakfast and head to Animal Kingdom. Hit FOP and whatever else has a moderate wait time. Hoping on a Monday it isn’t so crazy like our last trip. Back to Epcot that evening for dinner at Hacienda de San Angel.

25th Tuesday-last full day at Epcot, have breakfast at the lounge and head over. Lunch is at Via Napoli and dinner at Le Cellier, which we
haven’t tried in a couple of years.

26th Wednesday we have good bye breakfast at the gastropub place and head to the airport. So bad, so sad, but life has been sweet at Disney and we need more money to come back lol

Last edited:

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Itinerary

17th Drive to Cleveland (Rocks.) Have dinner at Legacy Village, shop a little and head to the airport hotel. Get a good night’s rest for the exciting day to come!

Take off out of CLE to MCO September 18th

18th Tuesday-Arrival around 11:30 AM-head to Boathouse for lunch at Disney Springs or Miller’s Ale House. If we get notice to check in early then hit the Publix and head over to BLT. Otherwise I have a FP for Tomorrowland Speedway and we can head over to the MK. I would rather get early notice, but 2 BDR units are scarce and often you cannot check in till well after 4 PM. For once we do not need to activate or buy anything at Guest Services this trip, but it is the best location to do so in my opinion. So hopefully get settled in the room and head back to Disney Springs for dinner at Splitsville-it was fantastic the first time we ate here. Walk around DS for a while and head back to BLT to catch some fireworks, Electric Water Pageant and or watch the information channels and Stacy.

19th Wednesday-Travel to the Grand Floridian Café for breakfast on the monorail-hopefully it is up and functioning early like us. Heading to the Kingdom for a day of fun then head back for a rest in the early afternoon. We are going to the DVC Member party at Hollywood Studios that night after dinner at Maria & Enzo’s –a new spot for us. It looked pretty impressive from the menu and everyone loves Italian in this party.

20th Thursday-Wave for breakfast-Back to the Studios-hit whatever wasn’t covered the night before! Lunch at Mama Melrose and back to the resort for r&r. Debs needs lots of sleep, so we always give her an opportunity to nap and rest her knee, which needs a replacement as well. Big Daddy and I usually go to the pool, have some beers and sometimes rent sprites to drive around Bay Lake.

21st Friday- Epcot-The Wave for breakfast-off to Epcot. Grab lunch at either Mexico cantina or France Boulangerie, both very good-edge to France for the croissants and coffee. Dinner is at California Grill so no need to worry about travel tonight.

22nd Saturday-Kona Café breakfast- I had to give Debs the opportunity for Tonga Toast. Lunch is at BOG and dinner is later on at Disney Springs for Homecomin’

23rd Sunday-Wave breakfast-moving to Beach Club today so we will pack up and head over and store the cold goodies with bell services. Sometimes the room is ready, but we have FP for TT at 10:45 AM! Again we can grab lunch at France/Mexico or depending on when the room is ready have snacks at the lounge. Dinner is at Trattoria Al Forno on the Boardwalk conveniently.

24th Monday-drive to IHOP for breakfast and head to Animal Kingdom. Hit FOP and whatever else has a moderate wait time. Hoping on a Monday it isn’t so crazy like our last trip. Back to Epcot that evening for dinner at Hacienda de San Angel.

25th Tuesday-last full day at Epcot, have breakfast at the lounge and head over. Lunch is at Via Napoli and dinner at Le Cellier, which we haven’t tried in a couple of years.

26th Wednesday we have good bye breakfast at the gastropub place and head to the airport. So bad, so sad, but life has been sweet at Disney and we need more money to come back lol

Next up plotting the course...

Last edited:

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Or maybe plotting the course

Fall has always been our favorite time to visit WDW. However with this increasing crowds in October every year we have learned to enjoy late September as well. The DVC points stretch a little further and the peak resort costs have not come into effect yet. The Annual Passes have made it more affordable’ish to visit multiple times a year too. On top of the Tables in Wonderland program it even keeps the food costs in line. Also having changed our spring Arizona trips to summer, there is a need for a winter escape. Needless to say we have been enjoying Disney very often the last couple of years!

Disney trips are best planned way in advance to meet all of your deadline dates. Any other destination is rather flexible, but we are certainly big on planning anyhow. I have a lot of anxiety and need structure lol, so Disney is perfect. Universal you can plan your days and have rough ideas, but getting people to decide on what to eat for lunch dinner can be a drag sometimes.

“I will eat anything.”

“Well how about Cowfish?”

“Nah, I don’t want burgers and you know I don’t like sushi.”

“Um, Bubba Gump?”

“The wait is too long.”

“Well, where do you want to eat?!”

“Anywhere!”
Eyeroll deluxe. With WDW, you are eating here tonight and that’s that!

ADRs & FP+

ADRs day wasn’t bad-everything went smoothly, although by the time you make your FP ressies some things may changes. Luckily, I worked things out with changing our Animal Kingdom day for FOP. Then here and there add this one, cancel that one. That is another positive aspect about going in a supposed slower time with the the exception of free dining panic.

Making our FP this year was interesting because we were in Arizona for that date. I set my alarm for 3:57 AM and quietly sat down at the table and cranked out our daily plan. I went for FOP first of course and then swapped the days out when I couldn’t find a mid morning time. SDMR was also unavailable for our first day, but I got it the other two days. I am not sure if we will make it to the park arrival day anyway, it depends on when the room is ready. Just in case I grabbed a Tomorrowland Speedway FP if we do swing over quick. I hopped back in bed about 20 minutes later, not bad!

I always make a weekly calendar with our schedule on it to pass out. It tells what park we are going to, ADRs, FPs and special events that may be of interest. I get to be like a teacher and tell everyone to check the syllabus he he he. I also make a paper cheat sheet for the FP+ times etc because you cannot always access your phone or sometimes it doesn’t load properly, so I like a paper back up. Never a bad idea in general to have your important documents backed up. I love the MDE, but it doesn’t have 100% functionality all the time sadly. I noticed some areas of WDW were getting wifi upgrades so hopefully that will help.

Well, your Captain is finishing up the necessary paperwork…let’s discuss the cargo next!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Argggh…the hot pants..

[/url
]

We survived the Arizona summer, but prepping for humid September in Florida is another challenge. The good news is that our villa has a washer and a dryer and Disney properties have decent laundry facilities for their guests. In Arizona, we end up doing laundry with a long 9-10 trip and Marriott Resorts do not really provide a place for guests to do laundry if they need to. Our favorite resort in Scottsdale just has a couple of each machine and it is outside. I know it may not be in their best interest to provide laundry facilities, but it is a nice service to have available. Luckily there is a great Laundromat in Sedona we use. Yes, many resorts offer laundry service, but I don’t want to get my undies and garments back with staples and tags on them lol. Debs is the laundry queen so she is always working the machines at home and away. Fold up laundry hampers go right in the suitcase and keep your room tidy.

Big Daddy packing up the car—how we used to pack, but we have gotten much better!
[/url
]

How much is too much? The graphic above should give you a hint! I print out a check list of all of my needed items for Disney for starters. I lay out outfit pairings that can be interchanged with one another, so if an item is stained, soaking wet or ripped (yea, it happens) another shirt or shorts can be substituted. All my colors seem to blend pretty well. I generally stick to dark colored shorts to hide sweat, dust or dirt you get into. Lighter colored tops are better in the sun for keeping you cool. I try to avoid black shirts because they absorb the sun and make you sweeeaaattt. Save those for a cloudy day if you got a cool one to show off!

Be careful with tank tops, I see a lot of women and men with terrible sun burns that forgot their sunscreen all day! When I plan my outfits, I try to avoid the bright sunny days for tanks and certainly do not wear them every day, throw a t-shirt on in there one day to protect your skin. I put my sunscreen on before I leave the room in the morning and carry a large brimmed hat to keep my face from getting burned. I like Arbonne sunscreen and for quick touch ups and legs-Coppertone spray sunscreen. The spray is great for hitting the back and neck and legs and to reapply to large areas, but I do not recommend it on your face. My face sometimes burns with sunscreen application, so a good day cream with a decent SPF and the hat work well. Just my arms tan well, not much else lol. Get your Photopass pictures taken early in the day to have your hair look good!

I pack a shirt and a half for each day, plus an extra in case of unforeseen circumstances. Same principle goes for shorts or pants. Lol, sounds funny, but you just never know if a pair rips or stains or the liquids spill in your suitcase. I also am Pooh sized so finding an appropriate substitute can be challenging in the Parks. Now we usually end up buying some t-shirts, but I like to run a well stocked operation. Don’t be the guy wearing a striped shirt and plaid shorts…9 times out of 10 I bet it is the last day of his trip.

Never skimp on undergarments and socks either! I always have a back up outfit in my carry on just in case we get stuck (or get messy) on any trip. Ladies I know bras are tough because you have your favorites and they are expensive, so taking a lot of them is a gamble with check bags. I pack a few along in my carry on and they can be rinsed out if you do not have access or time for laundry. Do take them off the porch before leaving the room though! Disney has lots of socks available on property if all fails with them.

A few fancy shirts or dressy tanks and capris for signature dining will do for us. My dad likes button up dress shirts and his regular short guy shorts. Pack the nicer stuff near the top of the suitcase so you can place them on the hanger right away when unpacking. Everywhere, except for Victoria & Albert’s is casual, so the advice is wear what you feel comfortable in at in a typical restaurant or trip. Some folks will take casual to a whole new level though at times.

Shoes: I wear sneakers most of the time. They feel the best on my size 11 D feet. I bring a couple pairs of flips for around the room and to and fro to the pool, maybe quick jaunt for Mickey bars. I have Birkenstocks, but with the extra weight and how many times I would wear them-2-3 times-I leave them home. If your trip looks like a soggy one, bring a spare pair and hopefully they dry relatively fast. Otherwise, Zappos VIPs get new day delivery! Again go with what is comfortable and what won’t hurt your feet. If walking is uncomfortable to you might I suggest a trip to a specialty shoe shop for a fitting. It is so easy to run to the department stores and grab a pair of shoes or a style that is fashionable, but they may fall short on support. Many people underestimate how much walking is involved at WDW and also their fitness for going the distance.

Jammies: depending on your sleeping arrangements and room, you may be sharing space with people you are not used to. I have mixed company pajamas for that reason-well fitting tank tops or lightweight t shirts and cotton athletic shorts. I carry a set in my carry on and some in my packed bags.

My carry on is the most important bag to pack. It has my glasses, medications, pillow, sheet, extra set of clothing, camera, sunglasses, cash, gift card, paper reservation back-ups, confirmations, iPad, chargers and anything else that you can never be without. My BGL test kit and snacks like Kind Bars, gummy bears, hard candy or any type of food that can bring my blood sugar back up or keep it stable if we haven’t been able to eat. I like to have a small travel purse that can be packed and pulled out easy for your ID. I pack a larger purse in the suitcase as well, Vera of course.

General suitcase packing: Not everyone can make it with only carry ons, especially us. The liquid restrictions and length of vacation really determine how many suitcases are necessary. Shoes and bathroom bags are heavy and need space, hence light on the shoe wear. I don’t wake up looking this good either-I need my lotions and hairspray! We pool our supplies-we don’t not all need to take big shampoo and conditioner bottles-the WDW stuff is actually great. I bring a bar of soap because I like Dr. Bronner’s almond or orange and I bring my own lotion. It leaves your skin clean and not greasy like moisturizing soaps. Throw away razors are perfect for a week. Refillable bottles of all kinds are available at big box stores. Don’t get the harder plastic ones-they will crack and break-look for more translucent bottle type ones. One trick I have leaned is to pack alike liquids or gels in quart bags-toothpaste and mouthwash; shampoo, conditioner, face wash together etc. etc. You can pop the one bag in the shower and pull the tooth care bag in and out more easily to keep organized. Keeping all like items in smaller bathroom bags like lady products or wipes is helpful as well. I always pack a first aid kit bag with sunscreens, band-aids, allergy medications, ibuprofen, anti diarrhea, aloe, antacids and Lactaid for Debs. All the sundries shops have a good selection of products, but when the heart burn hits in the middle of the night you need something right away!

Other odds and ends-place extra name plates in the top part of the inside of the suitcase. I keep 2-3 on the outside of each case. They get old, plastic wears down and breaks or they get ripped off from handling. Don’t put your favorite ones on check bags-place them on your carry on or use for road trips. I buy flat ones and make vinyl cut outs with my Cricut to personalize.

I like to start laying my clothes out a couple weeks ahead of time. I procrastinate on a lot of things, but packing is not one! If you have kids, you can make sure they have everything they need before the night before ha ha. We have our travel toiletries in a tub and pull out what we need etc. Grab some extra hangers and dryer sheets for laundry. Don’t forget shinny pennies and quarters!

As I mentioned, a packing list is a great idea for keeping you and your family organized. There are many available on Pinterest or Disney planning websites or making your own is an even better way to personalize. If you haven’t by now realize that I plan for the worst case scenario. It happens, flights get cancelled, luggage gets lost, you spill bloody Marys all over yourself that one time. Luckily, if you do need an item Disney sells great merchandise and shopping is nearby, but I want to spend every minute I can on property.

From an anxiety prone person like me-the best piece of advice is to plan early and organize as much as you can ahead of time. When we finally get to WDW- most of the day is planned, my meals, my clothes, my bathroom routine etc. The rest of the day I can enjoy.

Now I’m stoked for packing!
Counting down the days…32

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Giving my parents more and more gray hairs…aarrghh!

I have been a little panicked over the last few days. I was experiencing some pain in my abdomen since we were in AZ and I went to my doc Friday. He narrowed down what he thought it was and prescribed a medication and ordered a test for Tuesday. After the test I was in so much pain I ended up going to the emergency room. I no longer have a gallbladder so it narrows down the possible issues. I thought maybe appendix, but no traditional symptoms. They ran a whole bunch of tests and found nothing immediately of concern, but another condition that was previously diagnosed that I need to look into getting a check up on soon. I got loaded up on fluids and some anti nausea medication too. I feel much better knowing that I do not have an immediate problem this close to departure, but as far as my long term diet goals there will be some significant adjustments I haven’t wanted to make. My doc said I would be feeling better by Labor Day, so I guess he was right on how long it will take to get my digestive system back…yikes!

I had a toddler meal at lunch, no really I sliced everything up and ate like a bird. I have to take it easy on the foods for now, bland etc, no coffee, tea or really greasy foods, which are now eliminated for the most part anyhow. I just hope everyone around me survives with the no coffee ha ha ha! I hope with this latest push I will lose another 10 pounds by the end of the year. Within a week or two I should be able to ease back into regular foods, minus the bacon and sausages I love so much. Once and a while as a treat, but not as much as I have been. Disney doesn’t seem to have decent breakfast meat anyhow so I won’t feel like I am missing anything! Obviously I will try to stick to alternative side dishes as much as I can and avoid lots of heavy sauces, gravies, and deep fried items. I have to have my one funnel cake though! I only have them 1-2 a year.

I have to follow up at a gastroenterologist, which was inevitable, but I would like to wait until we get back from our trip. So far, I am okay, but have to take it easy for a few days. No soccer tomorrow again for me, but it also helps my needed knee get some rest too.

This weekend will be a busy one. I think my little cousins will come over for one last blast before school begins for them. I need to get some photos taken and get my camera gear charged and organized. Our annual garage sale is coming up after the holiday weekend so lots of items are going in the for sale pile! A bit of extra spending money would go a long way. It is a good weekend to get organized and make some list of last minute necessities.

Adding to the manifest…

LowesChevy

Original Poster
About 19 days to go...I say that since we really leave the 17th to drive to Cleveland. The good news is that I am feeling better, not 100% but getting there.

My strict diet has been going well and I haven't succumb to the donuts or cupcakes that were brought to the office this week. Yes, I plan on having treats in Disney of course! However I will continue to take it easy on simple sugars, alcohol and really greasy meats, like my friends sausage and bacon :(

I am going to do early check in this weekend and print out my paper copies of everything for safe keeping. Our neighborhood garage sale is next weekend, so hoping to score a few bucks spending money after that. I will cinch up my packing list and get the majority of my items ready to pack up. I am losing weight pretty successfully, so some items are getting too big! I probably wont need them next fall. Springtime in Disneyland probably calls for more warmer clothing and more than likely long sleeves, but more research to be done :cool:

The weather is still hot and humid, almost like being in Florida now. Come on September!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Countdown is basically at 2! Tomorrow afternoon we drive to Cleveland and fly down Tuesday morning!

Packing is all but finished. Just charging things up and final pack tonight. Printed some CM appreciation cards and need a couple of Mousekeeping envelopes. Paper back ups are ready to go.

I have some stuffed cabbage in the oven cooking away and burgers for lunch tomorrow. I have a chiropractor appointment at 2 then we will shove off to CLE. One half day of work is all to worry about.

My stomach pain has gone down significantly thankfully. Just a little pain in my midsection at times. Sadly I have determined that raw garlic is a huge problem for my tummy and digestion process. Caesar dressing helped me realize the issue. I have plenty of medication and eating is always so much different for me on vacation. I seem to eat way less. I guess if there were rides and attractions at work, I wouldn't sit at my desk and munch so much lol.

I will have to limit myself to 1 or 2 adult beverages all week, which isn't a big deal, but a drink on vacation is always more fun!

Trip report to follow of course! I will do some checking in and live updates when I can :D
check me out on Insta theerikagrimm to follow the fun!

93boomer

Premium Member
Countdown is basically at 2! Tomorrow afternoon we drive to Cleveland and fly down Tuesday morning!

Packing is all but finished. Just charging things up and final pack tonight. Printed some CM appreciation cards and need a couple of Mousekeeping envelopes. Paper back ups are ready to go.

I have some stuffed cabbage in the oven cooking away and burgers for lunch tomorrow. I have a chiropractor appointment at 2 then we will shove off to CLE. One half day of work is all to worry about.

My stomach pain has gone down significantly thankfully. Just a little pain in my midsection at times. Sadly I have determined that raw garlic is a huge problem for my tummy and digestion process. Caesar dressing helped me realize the issue. I have plenty of medication and eating is always so much different for me on vacation. I seem to eat way less. I guess if there were rides and attractions at work, I wouldn't sit at my desk and munch so much lol.

I will have to limit myself to 1 or 2 adult beverages all week, which isn't a big deal, but a drink on vacation is always more fun!

Trip report to follow of course! I will do some checking in and live updates when I can :D
check me out on Insta theerikagrimm to follow the fun!
Have a great trip!! Good for the stomach pain!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom