Coral Reef or San Angel Inn?

MouseearsDeb

Original Poster
For our upcoming trip, we have ADR's at SAI. But, now I'm thinking maybe CR would be a better choice considering DS14 and DS5 would enjoy the atmosphere more at CR. Plus, looking at the menu options for SAI, I'd say it's very limited for their taste buds. Anyone eat at Coral Reef lately? I know it's had a lot of bad reviews and some good, just wondering how it's been recently. Thanks!

reptar77

In the past year the Coral reef has decreased the number of items on the menu but what they have is ok. I personally enjoy Fultons better. I eat there mainly for the experience. If you can get a table next to the glass. Have a great trip.

slappy magoo

I was going to say that the Coral Reef was ridiculously overpriced, but I just saw both menus over at allearsnet.com, and WOW! :eek: San Angel Inn is just as ridiculously overpriced as Coral Reef!

However, I'm also surprised as to how scaled-back Coral Reef's menu is now. Only a handful of entrees, including chicken & beef options for landlubbers like me. The flip side to the limited menu, hopefully, is that with fewer meal options, the meals they do make have improved in quality than years' past.

Honestly, I'd be torn, too. Sorry, I can't help. I'd probably choose San Angel Inn because I like Mexican food, even Disney-fied Mexican food. If your little ones aren't keen on the spices, then you're probably better off at CR.

figment1985

San Angel Inn was horrible when I went in March. The steak was over-cooked and I could have gotten better Mexican food back in NC.

MouseearsDeb

Original Poster
The counter serivce place right outside of the mexico building is much better than San An Inn.
I was wondering about this place as well. I figure, cancel the ADR at SAI. If we(DH and myself) want Mexican, then we can stop by the outside place. Then pick up something for DS14 and DS5 elsewhere. I'm just not overly thrilled with the menu from SAI. I like the, I think it was called, Diver's option? or maybe chef's choice? Anyway, it had shrimp and baked potato. Too bad you can't get Lobster on the dining plan(from what I understand). Because I would probably choose Narcoosee's. Me and DS14 LOVE lobster.:slurp: :p :slurp: :p :slurp: :hurl: Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll keep looking and try to figure something out. :brick:

(Love these last few weeks before leaving)

I am soooo ready to be there instead of here!!

reptar77

Narcossees is great expecially if you are seated when wishes is on. The play the music inside. My husband and I went outside with our wine and watched the fireworks and then went back in to finish dessert.

supapampam

I just has lunch at Coral Reef on 8/31. I had the Diver's Special: Lobster soup (very good & filled me up before the rest of the meal), the Shrimp/Potato thing. Which had 8 large shrimp on it in this butter cream sauce, I was nervous about it but it turned out to be yummie, didn't eat the potato was to full from the soup & shrimp. The special also came with cheesecake which I shared with my brother. $20.99

My brother had the New York strip which he enjoyed also.

I had gone there a few years back & didn't like it but things have improved.

luna99

It's been quite a few years since I've eaten at the San Angel Inn but I do remember thinking it wasn't that great... I am mexican though so maybe I'm super picky when it comes to mexican food.

that being said, the atmosphere in SAI is amazing .. nice and dark and romantic right by the water.

good luck choosing! I've never eaten at the coral reef!

sydsmom1997

I ate at CR on 8/29/06 for dinner (while on the free DDP). I thought it was very good. The fresh, warm bread before the meal was good. I also had lobster soup, shrimp coctail, grilled chicken breast with penne augrautin, and the chocolate wave dessert is to die for! DH had the crab cakes, which he liked but were quite spicy. DD8 had the cheese pizza which she said was good. It was extremely loud in there, but we enjoyed it just the same. Bill was 127.35 for the three of us, but as I said before, we were on the DDP.

We ate at San Angel Inn on 8/31/06. The atmosphere was fantastic! The food however was IMHO quite nasty. I had the beef tenderloin served over black beans and fried plantains. Not my cup of tea. DH had the combination plate consisting of shrimp, rice, beef, and vegetables. He said it was okay. He like CR better. The nachos were good though.

I guess it all comes down to what you & your family are into! I am more of a Tex-Mex person. I actually like Taco Bell! Prefab works for me. Our bill at San Angel was 100.50. If paying out of pocket, I would much rather pay the extra and go to CR. LeCellier was worth the $135.00! 7 ounce Filet with maple bbq sauce served over cream cheese mashed potatoes was phenominal!! Whichever you choose, have a blast!!

Lucky

We ate at Coral Reef 3 weeks ago. I had heard some unfavorable reviews of the food, but chose it for the entertainment value (aquarium) for our kids' benefit. We had no complaints at all about the food. Nothing spectacular, but perfectly fine. We had the caesar salad with fried scallops as appetizer, crab cakes entree, and "chocolate wave" dessert.

Most tables are not that close to the aquarium, and they can't accomodate all requests, but it doesn't hurt to ask for a closer table. It's one BIG aquarium on one side of the room, not like The Aquarium restaurant in Opry Mills Mall in Nashville (among other locations) where the aquarium is in the middle of the room with a good view for all tables.

MouseearsDeb

Original Poster
The Aquarium restaurant in Opry Mills Mall in Nashville (among other locations) where the aquarium is in the middle of the room with a good view for all tables.
You know, I only live 25min. from this place and have yet to eat here. :eek:

We ate at CR probably about 6 or so years ago and was not impressed with the menu. I think one of the items was alligator sausage. But, the atmosphere was very nice. The menu on allears.net looks A LOT better than the one we ordered from.

I think we'll try CR for lunch! Sounds like DS5 and DS14 will enjoy it.

wolf359

I guess I'm in the minority, but I much prefer San Angel to Coral Reef.

My meal at Coral Reef was extremely disappointing, with impossible waits (we were seated 90 minutes after our priority seating time), terrible service (very inattentive, and we waited 30 minutes after asking for the bill to actually get it), and lackluster food (overcooked, and not very tasty). We had PS for 5:45pm to make sure we'd have plenty of time to be ready for Illuminations...and we missed it. We finally escaped at 9:10pm.

I went because I thought it would be a nice, romantic dinner, and a change of pace from my usual dining choices at EPCOT. And it ended up being the single worst dining experience at Disney I've ever had.

I'll never go back. Why bother, when there are plenty of better restaurants nearby?

However, I've always been very satisfied at San Angel Inn. Short waits, good food, fast service, and great atmosphere. I've gone on almost every trip and I've never been let down.

wdwishes2005

Personally, I had the exact opposite experience wolf 359, I was seated appx 5 minutes after getting there ( this was during free dining), the food and service was fabulous, and very prompt.

wolf359

Yeah, I'm not surprised. I've heard a lot of rave reviews of Coral Reef, so I obviously hit them on a bad night I guess. I'm usually pretty forgiving if one element isn't perfect, but somehow on my visit they seemed to miss the mark on everything, which left me feeling especially let down.

That's the nature of restaurants in general, but especially ones that serve thousands of people a week...

:)

Steamboat_Kevin

Coral Reef is much better than San Angel Inn, IMO.

San Angel is fine, but it's SO hard to maneuver through all the tables (they are really packed together tightly) and I thought the staff was friendlier at CR than at SAI.

CoffeeJedi

Had a great time at Coral Reef on Friday 9/8 at 6:00. We only waited about 7 minutes after our ADR time to get seated. The waitstaff was very attentive, even though we were on the DDP. 3 of us got the pan-seared ahi tuna over wasabi mashed potatoes, it was INCREDIBLE. The fourth got the blackedned catfish, the bite i tried was very good.
It is a little loud and echo-y in there, but the giant sea-turtle that hung out in the far left window made the whole thing worth it. Does (s)he always hang out there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom