Cop Tribute Video

Tomko

Original Poster
MORE PUBLIC COMMENTS

Most Recent Comments :lol:

I grew up in Los Angeles and remember vividly when the Carousel moved from Disneyland to Florida, I was crushed. When visiting Florida for the first time 10 years ago, I cried through most of the showing of The Carousel Of Progress, yet was comforted knowing it was intact and ready to experience when I again traveled back to Orlando, which I have done 4 more times. I sincerely hope and pray that the one and only, genuine, and completely original Walt Disney's Carousel Of Progress will still be turning when I visit this year. I thank you very much for your efforts. Michael

SAVE THE COP...Why not close a "Small World" and Cinderella's Castle while you're at it? Seems to be the "New Disney" trend these days. UNFORGIVABLE! Sally R

I just hate to see the company take away any of the original parts that Walt touched. I know the argument is that he loved change and progress but we have to save as many of his original ideas as possible.

I don't think Disney realizes how popular the attraction is. I know I would not make family plans to go to WDW unless the COP was in operation. Why don't they find a sponsor. That seems to be the real problem here. If they had the sponsor, the attraction would always be open without a doubt. Notice the only two attractions closed seasonally are the COP and Timekeeper...both sponsorless!!! COME ON DISNEY...you can do better! Matt

It seems that what started out as a fresh novel idea by a small group of creative people has become an evil empire bent on destroying any vestige of it's original creators. Please stop this madness before everyone gets tired of the cold soulnessness of the "New Disney" and stops going altogether.

I love this attraction and would hate to see it gone. As a lon-time Disney park-goer and fan, I really appreciate the nostalga value of it. Disney should realize by now that a tremendous amount of memories have been accrued over the years by thousands of people who experienced this attraction and others of an earlier time. Two others I would bring back are If you had wings and Voyage Through Inner Space (Disney Land).
Sincerely,
Suzi

I look forward to riding this every year, but its no longer open when I go....I try not to go in the peak seasons, so I can enjoy the World and all its glory. Please keep it open, its my favorite ride.

This is one of the last vestiges of the true Walt vision. We love this ride, and will be down at Disney on 11/27-30/02 and 12/17-20/02. We would love to see this show again!!! Save the COP!!

The Carousel of Progress in one of the few things in WDW that is truly "WALT DISNEY". For the WDW Co. to remove the ride would be a travesty to the creator himself. To me the removal of COP would send a message to the visitors that Walt is nothing more than a name they use not an inventor or and inspiration to the youth of the world that no matter how many times you fail that you must keep trying. If Walt had given up there would be no WDW and nothing for the current money hungry power people to make this $ off of. Ok, so its my rant but its also my opinion.

Save cop. Please don't shut it down or destroy it like Horizons.

Thank you

Looking at the COP video brought back incredible memories. I saw the COP at the NY worlds fair and I thought it was the best attraction. Then when I heard they had moved it to WDW I was thrilled. We would go up to WDW 4 or 5 times a year just to see the COP !! The last time we went on the ride it broke down twice. I could not believe how WDW had let this wonderful attraction deteriorate. It makes me sick what they have done. Thank you so much for bringing the COP attraction to the internet. Every weekend I watch it and the songs actually give me goose bumps. What great memories, thanks again. Mark

This ride is a glance back into our history as a country that pursued the advancement to technology. Kids today need to be reminded of how people lived prior to cell phones, computers and remote controls. Might make them better appreciate the things they have now. COP is my all-time favorite ride. I can still remember the first time I was at WDW and wanted to ride it again & again. Please, do not close this exhibit. It is the last thing remaining of Walt Disney. With the closure of Horizons (another original concept by Walt) and World of Motion at Epcot, Walt's legacy on technology and dreaming of new things yet to come are quickly going away. Keep Walt alive through the COP ride. It is great for all - young & old!!!

I love this ride. It's a classic which Disney is seeming to forget about. All the classics are slowly but surely leaving, hopefully this one will stay to entertain generations to come.

We have been to wdw many times & cop was always on the top of the list. We just got back & two years in a row now it was closed. We pay top money to go to wdw & expect everything we pay for. We were there 12/9-12/16 & it was CROWED so it should have been open. They keep telling us Dec. is a good time to go, then close some of attractions. C.O.P is Walt Disney. Leave it alone.

I first saw the COP about a dozen years ago with its "Now is the Time" theme before returning to its original "Great Big Beautiful tomorrow" theme. I guess a lot of it does have to do with nostalgia but it also has a character to it that links generations of families together. It really is a signature attraction of WDW, at least the legacy that once was. I don't know if its a question of maintenance cost or whatever, all I know is that every "new and improved" attraction that comes along fizzles out just as fast as it comes, "EPCOT, Journey into Imagination" take note. All I know is that The COP is an attraction that I always look forward to seeing and I'm sadly disappointed not getting the opportunity to see it because of who knows why. Please, don't screw up again.

Bob

we raised our girls at Disney world and the first attraction we always rushed to was the COP..Please do not let this great attraction go !!

I am a New York World's Fair enthusiast and it was that fair that has so much influence on my career today. The carousel of progress is a significant part of what influenced my interest in automated show in themed entertainment.
There should be a few things that are kept as your pride and joy and a link to one's past. COP is one such example.

I would actually consider going all the way to Florida just to see the Carousel of Progress and the Country Bear Jamboree, both are now gone from Disneyland.

Our family visits WDW at least once each year. The COP is ALWAYS an attraction on our MUST SEE list. During a recent visit, the COP was not operating and we were disappointed to learn this original attraction created by Walt himself may be closing forever! Rather than contemplating the replacement of a Disney original, we believe Walt's imagineers should be building an extension into the 21st century. This way future generations can continue to enjoy an attraction Walt himself created to help us understand as he did the importance of where we've been so we can envision where we're headed. The COP blends two of Walt's main themes in a relaxing and upbeat presentation that demonstrates how family and progress can successfully glide into the future together. When progress begins to encroach upon the very essence of that which it claims to stand for, it's obviously time for WDW to reevaluate exactly what it is that they do stand for. It is our sincere hope that Walter E. Disney's original values still drive the business and the COP has as many great big beautiful tomorrows as the world it exists in. Very truly yours, The Wood Family

This is a piece of American history that needs to be saved for future generations. I want my grandchildren to enjoy the Carousel of Progress!
:lol:

tigsmom

loved your site... Grew up in Queens, NY and saw CoP at the fair many, many times. Was able to take my kids to see it the last time we were in Disney (had never been opened before when we were there.) It's my little one's favorite and she sing the song perfectly. Keep up the good work and just maybe it will be around forever!!!

EchoOfOphelia

I love the Carousel of Progress, its one of my favorites!
The website is great, I signed the petition and wrote a very long and passionate e-mail to the actual dinsey website. I'll let everyone know if I get a response back!

:) Save the Carousel of Progress!:sohappy:

prberk

Thanks, Tomko! I still love CoP, and I have been completely amazed over my life to find out how many other people that I know personally have vivid and fond memories of it, too. I agree with the statement above (a few posts back) that Disney may not know how truly popular it is.

The thing about popularity is that it may not reflect just the sheer number of visits: this is because this may be something people may love but only ride once each visit, but nevertheless still have it as something that they look forward to, or return partly for.

It is a favorite because it is unique and inspiring.

KathyG/poohbear

I just returned from WDW and cms told us that Easter Break would be the last time the COP is open. Same old story, gears breaking down too expensive to replace.

However, my son met someone in a chat room that actually works in tomorrowland. He told my son that the cms all just say that because they are tired of being asked questions about it. He said the real reason it only runs at peak times is that it takes so much staff to operate as far as letting people in, etc.

Has anyone ever heard that?

Tomko

Original Poster
BREAKING DOWN....rubbish reason

Being so involved with the COP and all the noise I make to some of a few select executives at WDW (know me well), the real reason is just simple cost. Anything with audioanimatronics must be serviced daily. Staffing the ride is minimal of 2 or 3 people....computers do the rest.

SO, add the cost of this daily service to the power it takes to run the carousel along with the minimal staffing and (according to Disney) minimal visitors.....the COP and the Time keeper are the two attractions that are singled out when they want to save cost.

Remember too...these attractions are also sponsorless...so no one there to pick up the cost of anything relating to that attraction.

If the "Small World" attraction was not so child oriented, they would also cut back the operating times since it is so costly to service the audio animatronics.

GEE..I wonder how Fed X and AT&T leaving is going to affect other attractions. I am sure it is not going to be pretty for Disney getting sponsors for anything in such a tight market these days.

This was stated to me when I asked the same questions. The most cost is the servicing. Must make sure every hair (wig) every dress, shirt etc is in exact place every morning before the ride opens.

If anyone has more reasons why, please let us know. At least this is what was told to me.

I believe the COP will remain open for a while since times are tough. There are no funds to renew or rebuild an attraction from Disney's pocket except when there is a corporate sponsor involved.

COP is still a classic and listed as a favorite...it will be a tough one if they decide to get rid of it. I am sure many people will let them know about that!!!! More people like ME!!!

Thanks

Tom

Bairstow

It's too bad Disney's not the kind of company who could swing the idea of having volunteer maintainance work, because I would imagine there would be no shortage of volunteers for the chance to service this attraction. If you're mechanically inclined, what would be more fun than to spend a day off working on and in a multimillion, decades-old, widely-loved attraction full of thousands of moving and electronic parts. There would be no shortage of volunteers who would be willing to tackle the project on a weekly basis even without pay. Of course, there's no way Disney would trust an outsider with that kind of hardware nor take the risk of a non-disney employee dying in there (an employee death was bad enough) so I imagine it's doomed to go neglected when they feel they can't afford to keep it up.

LRV3400

COP Open 2/13/03

Hey all, The Carousel of Progress was open today, Feb 13th. Almost no one was visiting it though. Maybe 15-20 people per show.

Tomko

Original Poster
OPEN....HURRAY

I wonder what made them open?

:sohappy:

Was the rest of the park crowded?

or Maybe they are just getting tired of all the complaints.

Tomko

Original Poster
When at WDW....

Let us know if the COP is open or closed.

I would like to keep track of it.

Maybe, just maybe, they are taking the feedbacks from www.carouselofprogress.com to heart!

They should with over 104,000 hits in 6 months!

Thanks everyone for the support!

Tom

Tomko

Original Poster
OPEN LATELY

Has anyone visited the COP in FEB or MARCH yet?

Rumors have it that it has been open a few time.

I just cam back from the MK last week but of course the COP was closed again.

Thanks

Tomko

Original Poster
2003 Summer Season

NEWS FLASH......(2003 season) The COP is not only open 6/22, but open for almost the entire day, not the old 11 to 5...It will be 10 to 8 everyday.

THIS IS OFFICIAL!!!

I WOULD LIKE TO THINK THAT THE WWW.CAROUSELOFPROGRESS.COM SITE HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE EXTRA HOURS OF OPERATION!!!

Wishful thinking!!

Thanks

Tom:sohappy:

Kellylynn322

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sohappy: :sohappy:

I am going in August with family who have never been and I am thrilled that they will be able to see that.

Thanks for all your efforts Tomko

General Grizz

I'm taking a visit in mid-August. I do hope it's open!!!

I love to see these posts...even on other boards, there is such an emergence of good feeling expressed! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom