Cool MK Attraction History Bits

danyoung56

• Jungle Cruise
    -Opening day attraction at Disneyland & WDW. Also found in Tokyo and Hong Kong. Inspired by Walt Disney's "The African Queen."

This is a common error. "The African Queen" was not a Disney movie. It starred Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn. The Jungle Cruise was inspired by the Disney documentary "The African Lion".

Max Duane

Indeed it was. It was also briefly renamed "Mickey's Toyland" for the 1995 holiday season before becoming Mickey's Toontown Fair until 2012.

Here's a fun fact - Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin has several remnants of Dreamflight. The track layout is exactly the same. Three chickens in the "Planet Z" scene previously appeared in Dreamflight (although they were repainted for Buzz), and the puppet alien reuses the mechanism of a pilot who crashed through a barn in Dreamflight. In addition, cutouts of clouds from Dreamflight were reused in the last scene (though they too were repainted).
The sign, also, is the exact same sign as Dreamflight, just painted over. If you compare them side by side they’re the exact same shape and dimensions!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
This is a common error. "The African Queen" was not a Disney movie. It starred Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn. The Jungle Cruise was inspired by the Disney documentary "The African Lion".
Nice. Thanks! That’s why I’m here.

I absolutely love stuff like this!

Town Square Theater- opened in 1973 as The Walt Disney Story. In the 90's it became Exposition Hall, sponsored by Kodak. This was a large space featuring a small section devoted to the history of animation, some photo ops, and a theater showing Disney shorts. In 2011, it was renamed Town Square Theater and converted to a meet and greet space for Mickey and, formerly, the Disney Princesses (Tinkerbell now occupies that space).

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom- Occupies what was formerly the Main Street fire station, a gift shop themed after a fire station that sold appropriate merchandise. The current Sorcerers location still has wall displays of first responders' patches, who can visit and add their own personal patch to the collection.

It's a Small World- Remained largely unchanged until a 2004-2005 refurbishment in which the audio and lighting were overhauled. The load area, which was formerly bright, colorful and featured large fountains, was completely redone to look more like Disneyland's and now features a scaled back version of their iconic white and gold clock facade.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad- At the end of the third lift hill, you can see two open barn doors on either side of the train just before it descends. These, at one point, remained closed throughout the lift and suddenly "crashed" open as the ride descended. The effect was turned off very early in the ride's history, but I can't recall a date.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train- At the top of the first lift hill, you can spot two vultures atop a post. These are original figures from the now closed Snow White's Scary Adventures. Additionally, at the end of the ride in the cottage scene, some of the dwarfs can be seen inside playing instruments. These figures are also originally from Snow White's Scary Adventures, and date back even earlier to the Mickey Mouse Revue which closed in 1980!

Skyway- Although the attraction itself closed in 1999, the load/unload stations remained partially or fully intact for years afterward and there are even some remnants today. The two story Tomorrowland Station, which contained the queue on the top floor and restrooms on the ground floor, didn't see the demolition of the top floor and its water feature until 2009. Today, just the first floor bathrooms remain. The Fantasyland station remained completely intact until 2011, when it was demolished and replaced with the Tangled restrooms and Rapunzel's tower.

Brer Panther

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train- At the top of the first lift hill, you can spot two vultures atop a post. These are original figures from the now closed Snow White's Scary Adventures. Additionally, at the end of the ride in the cottage scene, some of the dwarfs can be seen inside playing instruments. These figures are also originally from Snow White's Scary Adventures, and date back even earlier to the Mickey Mouse Revue which closed in 1980!
Speaking of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, this attraction actually has quite a voice cast. Doc is voiced by Andre Sogliuzzo, Grumpy is voiced by Corey Burton, Happy is voiced by Stephen Stanton, Sleepy is voiced by Bill Farmer, Sneezy is voiced by Bob Joles, and Bashful is voiced by Jeff Bennett.

Robbiem

Town Square Theater- opened in 1973 as The Walt Disney Story. In the 90's it became Exposition Hall, sponsored by Kodak. This was a large space featuring a small section devoted to the history of animation, some photo ops, and a theater showing Disney shorts. In 2011, it was renamed Town Square Theater and converted to a meet and greet space for Mickey and, formerly, the Disney Princesses (Tinkerbell now occupies that space).

sometime in the 90s after the Walt Disney Story closed the entrance museum portion of the attraction was used as the annual pass processing centre. I remember going here and getting a photo taken for my pass, before that you went to an office at the TTC.
The area also featured a mural of Disney characters which was for a time updated when new movies came out to add the new characters in. The theatre was also used a preview centre for new parks at various times. I remeber seeing a preview for what was then Wild Animal Kingdom

MickeyLuv'r

Not so much ride history, but once upon a time.. Walt Disney World sold attraction photo slides- as in the kind used in projector machines. They used to sell themed collections of photo slides. In the early years, being able to buy slides and postcards helped to keep people from taking flash photos on the rides themselves.

We once received a golden ticket Fastpass at CBJ. Before the show started, the CM asked the audience a few questions. We raised our hand and happened to be picked. The golden FP was good all that day for any attraction in MK. It was too cool to use, so we saved it, but I'm not sure where it is. I only ever saw one even given out that one time.

Also for CBJ, do look up Country musicians: Homer and Jethro: Fractured Folks Song, Mama Don't Whoop Little Buford, Also Tex Ritter: "My Woman Ain't Pretty (But She Don't Swear None)", and "Blood on the Saddle" (1945). Tommy Collins: "If You Can't bite Don't Growl." Also George Bruns, and Jean Shepherd: "Heart We did All That We Could" ,and Wanda Jackson "tears Will Be the Chaser for Your Wine." (just some I know).

The show Bears all had origin/backstories as well.

Along the lines of the golden FP, Tom sawyer Island used to have hidden paintbrushes. I'm not sure when they were discontinued, but I think they hid 5 every morning, and if you found them you got a FP (usually for BTMRR or Splash). Others probably know more than I do about them.

Heppenheimer

Not so much ride history, but once upon a time.. Walt Disney World sold attraction photo slides- as in the kind used in projector machines. They used to sell themed collections of photo slides. In the early years, being able to buy slides and postcards helped to keep people from taking flash photos on the rides themselves.

We once received a golden ticket Fastpass at CBJ. Before the show started, the CM asked the audience a few questions. We raised our hand and happened to be picked. The golden FP was good all that day for any attraction in MK. It was too cool to use, so we saved it, but I'm not sure where it is. I only ever saw one even given out that one time.

Also for CBJ, do look up Country musicians: Homer and Jethro: Fractured Folks Song, Mama Don't Whoop Little Buford, Also Tex Ritter: "My Woman Ain't Pretty (But She Don't Swear None)", and "Blood on the Saddle" (1945). Tommy Collins: "If You Can't bite Don't Growl." Also George Bruns, and Jean Shepherd: "Heart We did All That We Could" ,and Wanda Jackson "tears Will Be the Chaser for Your Wine." (just some I know).

The show Bears all had origin/backstories as well.

Along the lines of the golden FP, Tom sawyer Island used to have hidden paintbrushes. I'm not sure when they were discontinued, but I think they hid 5 every morning, and if you found them you got a FP (usually for BTMRR or Splash). Others probably know more than I do about them.
Here's a real blast from the past. Not only did they sell souvenir slide trays, but they even sold souvenir View Master discs.

dizbang

I have been going to The Parks since 7/4/72. Over the years I have accumulated over 100,000 photos and over 1,000 hours of video. Although everything since 2007 has been digital , everything prior to that is analog. I am in the process of digitizing my Disney video. I am
also thinking of putting photos and videos on a new website. As an example go to youtube and input Francis The Talking Robot. I especially
enjoy live entertainment and recently have been doing three to eight camera shoots. Check out Delta Q At Epcot , WDW 4-8-12 , and The Cirikli. BTW - The group in Frontierland is The Banjo Brothers And Bob. I will be posting a video of them shortly.

dizbang

Y’all these are great! Can’t wait to utilize all of this info!
If interested I can sent you a series of links to the videos I have already posted. We stay on property five times a year and usually go about one hundred days a year (annual passholders). One of my more recent postings are A Busy Day At Epcot #1 , #2 , and #3. The photos are all before the shutdown.

dizbang

Pirates at Disneyland opened in 1967, but didn’t debut at the Magic Kingdom until 1973. That’s right- it was not an opening day attraction. Imagineers didn’t think guests would want to experience Pirates of the Caribbean in Florida since they were so close to the actual Caribbean Islands, yet when guests showed up in ‘71, one of the most frequent questions asked was where the attraction was.

In ‘73, they added Carribbean Plaza to Adventureland (which originally dead-ended at the Enchanted Tiki Room), an area originally set aside as land for a Frontierland attraction known as the Western River Expedition, which never saw the light of day.

The MK version of the ride is noticeably shorter than the DL version, and is missing many of the scenes, most notably the entire Blue Bayou segment, some of the cave segments, and the finale where the boats go “up the waterfall”. Part of this is because of the rushed and slightly unplanned production of this version, and also because this version is set in Adventureland and not New Orleans Square, thus the whole New Orleans/Bayou elements were cut entirely, being substituted for a Caribbean Spanish Fort.

Additionally, this version of the ride once featured a “Barker Bird” animatronic to greet guests at the entrance, but it was (unfortunately) removed sometime during the Jack Sparrow overlay.
A video of The Pirate Parrot will be going up soon.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
If interested I can sent you a series of links to the videos I have already posted. We stay on property five times a year and usually go about one hundred days a year (annual passholders). One of my more recent postings are A Busy Day At Epcot #1 , #2 , and #3. The photos are all before the shutdown.
Absolutely.

dizbang

Absolutely.
(Francis The Talking Robot)
(A Busy Day At Epot #1)
(A Busy Day At Epcot #2)
(A Busy Day At Epcot #3)
(Cirikli At Epcot)
(Viva Mexico - Epcot)
(Mo'Rockin)
(Delta Q At Epcot)
(hidden Mickey at The Land)
Thinking Of The Magic Kingdom)
(Margret Almer & The Bavarian Show Band)
(Azalea Trailmaids At The Magic Kingdom)
(Three Bands At The Magic Kingdom)
(The Magic , The Memories , And You)

I am currently working on quite a few other projects from my digitized (pre 2007) videos.
Look for Lucky The Dinosaur , Space Mountain lit up inside as passengers are evacuated , a monorail being dragged
backwards for repair , and most live entertainment from 1989 onwards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom