Conveyor installation and earth moving

roj2323

Original Poster
What I don't seem to understand is that if the construction project is so big that they needed to install this, wouldn't it have just been easier to build a new park for SWL, TSL, etc.?

If that was a stupid question, please forgive me. I know nothing about construction.

This conveyor is largely to get rid of the dirt they dig up for a retention pond. Even if they started from scratch the retention pond would be necessary for flood control.

To put this another way: normally when it rains the rain water simply gets absorbed by the ground cover but when you start paving over that ground the rain water can't be absorbed so a retention pond (catchment basin) is dug. This pond will typically be designed to hold enough water for the largest typical rain storm the geographic area is known for getting for at least 24 hours and will be sized to offset the land that was paved over. This prevents flooding in the surrounding area.

Now it gets a bit more complicated than I've explained here but this should give you a basic understanding.

wsmith1978

Lets try to keep this on topic please.

This is exactly why I hardly ever post here. Nearly every thread devolves into a downward spiral of complaints that have nothing to do with the subject matter. I post a silly pic in direct reference to the topic at hand and am immediately reminded to keep things on track. God forbid I momentarily and humorously steer us away from a serious, and oh-so-riveting, conversation about moving dirt over a roadway.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Of course this conveyor system is needed as the average dump truck only can carry 10-15 cubic yards of material per load. An average medium capacity conveyor system can carry 180 cubic yards per hour or the equivalent of 12 dump truck loads. A cubic yard of material (granular like sand or dirt) makes a pile for reference of 11.5 feet long x4 feet high x12.5 feet wide.... thats lots of trucks to roll across world drive an interrupt customer traffic.

So how big will the retention pond need to be ? Huge! For one a one acre parking lot one inch of rain produces 27,154 gallons of water or 3,630 cubic feet (134 cubic yards or 13 and a half dump truck loads). (thanks to US Geological survey for the reference calculations)

Currently there are ~6500 parking spaces at Hollywood Studios and on average you can put 100 spaces per acre for flat single level parking or 65 acres of rain collection that has to go somewhere. If you look to the southeast of studio drive this week they've cleared out even more trees for whats presumed to be parking expansion/relocation/new entrance.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Of course this conveyor system is needed as the average dump truck only can carry 10-15 cubic yards of material per load. An average medium capacity conveyor system can carry 180 cubic yards per hour or the equivalent of 12 dump truck loads. A cubic yard of material (granular like sand or dirt) makes a pile for reference of 11.5 feet long x4 feet high x12.5 feet wide.... thats lots of trucks to roll across world drive an interrupt customer traffic.

So how big will the retention pond need to be ? Huge! For one a one acre parking lot one inch of rain produces 27,154 gallons of water or 3,630 cubic feet (134 cubic yards or 13 and a half dump truck loads). (thanks to US Geological survey for the reference calculations)

Currently there are ~6500 parking spaces at Hollywood Studios and on average you can put 100 spaces per acre for flat single level parking or 65 acres of rain collection that has to go somewhere. If you look to the southeast of studio drive this week they've cleared out even more trees for whats presumed to be parking expansion/relocation/new entrance.

The pond is going to cover 38 acres and will be as deep as 30 feet in some places.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
At what point does a pond become a lake???
If the water is deep enough that light does not penetrate to the bottom, and photosynthesis is limited to the top layer, the body of water is considered a lake. A pond is a body of water shallow enough to support rooted plants. Many times plants grow all the way across a shallow pond.

Monorail_Red_77

At what point does a pond become a lake???
Technically?
Ponds are usually smaller than lakes although the actual size does not matter.
Can sunlight reach the bottom?
Does the body of water only get small waves of 1ft or less.
Is the temperature consistent throughout the water column?
If yes to all of these then it is generally considered a pond.

Whereas lakes have an area at the bottom where sunlight cannot reach.

Of course these are general rules.

I'm no expert but this is what I have found.

Mad Stitch

So why don't they just use this?

msteel

So why don't they just use this?

Short answer, cost.

Also, if that is simply permeable concrete, my (limited) experience is that it is not as durable as asphalt and requires more maintenance (vacuuming).

I know an engineer who was involved in a project where the needed water retention was achieved with hollow pipes and amounts of clean gravel under the parking lot itself. But all of that costs more than simply digging a hole, and only makes sense where there is some degree of land scarcity.

toolsnspools

Short answer, cost.

Also, if that is simply permeable concrete, my (limited) experience is that it is not as durable as asphalt and requires more maintenance (vacuuming).

I know an engineer who was involved in a project where the needed water retention was achieved with hollow pipes and amounts of clean gravel under the parking lot itself. But all of that costs more than simply digging a hole, and only makes sense where there is some degree of land scarcity.
Not to mention, they need all the dirt so they can actually park in the new lot and not just sink cars there.

S 2

This is exactly why I hardly ever post here. Nearly every thread devolves into a downward spiral of complaints that have nothing to do with the subject matter. I post a silly pic in direct reference to the topic at hand and am immediately reminded to keep things on track. God forbid I momentarily and humorously steer us away from a serious, and oh-so-riveting, conversation about moving dirt over a roadway.

And that was likely the response that person was going for! Don't let them get a rise out of you, I appreciated your comment :)

roj2323

Original Poster
And that was likely the response that person was going for! Don't let them get a rise out of you, I appreciated your comment :)

No I wasn't going for an "i'm so annoyed that your annoyed comment." What I was going for is trying to keep the thread on topic rather than seeing this turn into yet another multi page thread of off topic responses filled with misplaced humor.

-------------------

Now as for the conveyor Does anyone happen to know if they have added any more sections to it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom