Controversial/ Unpopular theme park opinions

jensenrick

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is (was) cheap, tacky, carnival TRASH of a ride! I clapped with joy when I heard it was getting replaced, I didn't care with what. They could have replace that thing with unthemed toilets and it would have been an improvement.

FettFan

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway is better then the Great Movie Ride.

(this is all based on a video though, I haven’t experienced the ride in person yet)

PS: Please don’t throw pitchforks.

EDIT: I don’t think it’s actually ok to compare these two rides because they are so vastly different but if given the choice...I’d ride the Runaway Railway.

I can’t begrudge you that opinion, because my issues with MMRR aren’t based on the overall quality of the ride itself.

1. It’s in the wrong spot. It should have been build onto the old animation building and Star Wars Launch Bay should have gone the way of the dodo.

2. I still hate the “Ren & Stimpy” animation style. Mickey and the gang deserves better.

disney4life2008

Wizarding World of Harry Potter, specifically Diagon Alley, knocked it out of the park (no pun intended). Disney, however, has dropped the ball on all of their themed lands. I don't find them immersive at all, where when I'm in Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade I actually feel like I've been transported to a magical world and really give into the escapism.

I
I think Galaxy's Edge is an even bigger waste of space than Pandora. There's definitely more to do than there is in Pandora (more food, more shops, etc.) but there's also a lot of relatively empty, nondescript space. At least Pandora has more interesting stuff to look at.

True. But at least star wars is spread out with things along the way. Pandora is just fake plants. But I even think toy story land is horribly designed. They wasted space with spinners.

disney4life2008

I can’t begrudge you that opinion, because my issues with MMRR aren’t based on the overall quality of the ride itself.

1. It’s in the wrong spot. It should have been build onto the old animation building and Star Wars Launch Bay should have gone the way of the dodo.

2. I still hate the “Ren & Stimpy” animation style. Mickey and the gang deserves better.

Its fair to say that Disney needed a quick and easy fix to replace TGMR. but I agree on the animations it's cheap. And not to bring in the vloggers, they all rant about how good it is. Let me stop...

UNCgolf

8. Part of being a good Disney theme park fan is making an effort to visit other Disney theme parks besides your primary Disney theme park resort, assuming you have the means. For the purpose of this board/discussion, "having the means" is broadly defined by me as: IF you visit WDW at least once a year, doing so does not cause you financial difficulties, you do not have family or friends in the Orlando area that hook you up with cheap tickets or lodging, and you typically fly to WDW, you have no good reason to not go to the other parks.

Although I don't go to WDW yearly, nor do I fly there, I could afford to do both. My issue with your statement is that there are far more things to do in most places with Disney parks than there are in Orlando (yes, I know Orlando has other things too, but it doesn't compare to Paris, Tokyo, and Los Angeles). Although I would like to go to DLP, Tokyo Disney, and Disneyland at some point, I've been to both Paris and Los Angeles (LA more than once) and had too many other things I'd rather do than spend a day or two at a Disney park. I think it would take several trips to Paris (or one that was 2+ weeks long) before I'd feel like I had the time to go to DLP without missing out on other things I'd prefer to see/experience first. I do think I'll get to Disneyland next time I'm in LA, though.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

True. But at least star wars is spread out with things along the way. Pandora is just fake plants. But I even think toy story land is horribly designed. They wasted space with spinners.

I like the fake plants! I wish there were more of them, though.

Totally agree on TSL. It's awful. Not that I think having a spinner was necessarily a bad idea (it's good to have rides like that for capacity purposes), but it takes up too much space and the whole land feels tiny because of the way it's designed.

FettFan

Its fair to say that Disney needed a quick and easy fix to replace TGMR. but I agree on the animations it's cheap. And not to bring in the vloggers, they all rant about how good it is. Let me stop...

Yeah but given that GMR closed in October 2017, then they had to break down the old sets and clear the building to start MMRR, they could have just as easily built a brand new show building behind Animation/Launch Bay and converted the old tram tour queue/load.

Plus you’d have plenty of retail space for MMRR merchandise. (Launch Bay gift shop + the gift shop between Launch Bay and Little Mermaid)

And all this done withOUT closing a reliable people-eater like GMR in a park that would be woefully short on attractions during the construction of Toy Story and Star Wars.

FettFan

Shoot just put ME in charge of the whole operation. Clearly I’m better at thinking fourth dimensionally than TDO.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

1.) I agree...however I do like the idea of the Chinese theater with the preshow
2.) I adore the new Mickey shorts (animation style definitely takes some getting used to)

Surferboy567

I’ve got another opinion and this is equally as controversial

Guardians is a great successor to Tower of Terror

PS: Again, please don’t throw those pitchforks.

Notice how I said successor both our great at their own theme. I personally despise drop towers so maybe that’s why I care less about a retheme.

PiratesMansion

Although I don't go to WDW yearly, nor do I fly there, I could afford to do both. My issue with your statement is that there are far more things to do in most places with Disney parks than there are in Orlando (yes, I know Orlando has other things too, but it doesn't compare to Paris, Tokyo, and Los Angeles). Although I would like to go to DLP, Tokyo Disney, and Disneyland at some point, I've been to both Paris and Los Angeles (LA more than once) and had too many other things I'd rather do than spend a day or two at a Disney park. I think it would take several trips to Paris (or one that was 2+ weeks long) before I'd feel like I had the time to go to DLP without missing out on other things I'd prefer to see/experience first. I do think I'll get to Disneyland next time I'm in LA, though.

I totally respect your viewpoint here, and there are indeed lots of incredible things to see and do in a lot of those cities. I guess my overwhelming feeling, though, is...
1586914737379.png

Sometimes I get the feeling that some people on here think that Disney and Culture (generalizing here, but I think you can understand what I mean) are two distinct things that cannot be intermixed, or a Disney trip can only be ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME and nothing else; it clearly makes sense to a lot of people, but I've never really seen this in places that discuss the other parks. And I'd say every Disney park, including the ones in the states, operate as part of, and not in opposition to, their localities and regions (Tom Bricker has claimed that Tokyo Disney, for example, is a more accurate view into modern Japan than visiting a shrine or temple, and honestly he's not wrong). But ultimately it comes down to balance. I would certainly never advocate, say, flying halfway across the world, doing the Asian parks, and then leaving, but I think that there's absolutely a way to distribute your time equitably between everything you might want to do. For the last three years, every visit I've made to a Disney park have included days at Disney and days doing something else. My trips are better for it and, as you say, the variety in those places is stunning.

Of course, sometimes there truly are so many things that people want to do that there simply is no room in those cities to fit Disney in, and it's up to you to determine what balance is right for you, and maybe that really does include, say, 2 full weeks in Paris without DLP. But a lot of times when people say things like that, it comes off to me like those people who say "I don't want to go to [insert foreign country here] because I haven't seen all of the US yet." The reality is that the likelihood of seeing "all" of the US in a lifetime is unlikely, no one ACTUALLY wants to see EVERYTHING, and that what is worthwhile is different for every person. And if any opportunity comes to see something new that you care about, are interested in, or is a new and different experience (and I reject the notion that all Disney parks/resorts are basically the same, or that there's a clear pecking order of the parks/resorts that's going to be true for everyone), you should take it.

But anyway, I'm a broken record on this topic, so I'll stop, but at the very least, yes, definitely stop by Disneyland the next time you're in LA!

UNCgolf

I totally respect your viewpoint here, and there are indeed lots of incredible things to see and do in a lot of those cities. I guess my overwhelming feeling, though, is...
View attachment 463534

Sometimes I get the feeling that some people on here think that Disney and Culture (generalizing here, but I think you can understand what I mean) are two distinct things that cannot be intermixed, or a Disney trip can only be ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME and nothing else; it clearly makes sense to a lot of people, but I've never really seen this in places that discuss the other parks. And I'd say every Disney park, including the ones in the states, operate as part of, and not in opposition to, their localities and regions (Tom Bricker has claimed that Tokyo Disney, for example, is a more accurate view into modern Japan than visiting a shrine or temple, and honestly he's not wrong). But ultimately it comes down to balance. I would certainly never advocate, say, flying halfway across the world, doing the Asian parks, and then leaving, but I think that there's absolutely a way to distribute your time equitably between everything you might want to do. For the last three years, every visit I've made to a Disney park have included days at Disney and days doing something else. My trips are better for it and, as you say, the variety in those places is stunning.

Of course, sometimes there truly are so many things that people want to do that there simply is no room in those cities to fit Disney in, and it's up to you to determine what balance is right for you, and maybe that really does include, say, 2 full weeks in Paris without DLP. But a lot of times when people say things like that, it comes off to me like those people who say "I don't want to go to [insert foreign country here] because I haven't seen all of the US yet." The reality is that the likelihood of seeing "all" of the US in a lifetime is unlikely, no one ACTUALLY wants to see EVERYTHING, and that what is worthwhile is different for every person. And if any opportunity comes to see something new that you care about, are interested in, or is a new and different experience (and I reject the notion that all Disney parks/resorts are basically the same, or that there's a clear pecking order of the parks/resorts that's going to be true for everyone), you should take it.

But anyway, I'm a broken record on this topic, so I'll stop, but at the very least, yes, definitely stop by Disneyland the next time you're in LA!

I don't disagree with you. I definitely don't think a trip needs to be all Disney or no Disney. There's no chance I'd go to Paris or LA solely for the purpose of vising Disneyland or DLP; they would just be part of a larger trip.

It's simply about prioritizing what matters to me the most in case I never return for some reason. As much as I would like to see DLP (it looks unique and beautiful), the next time I'm in Paris things I have not yet seen like Les Invalides, Musee Cluny, Musee Carnavalet, Saint Sulpice, Saint Eustache, and many more rank higher to me, and that's not even considering trips outside the city to places like Versailles. If I suddenly found out I was barred from France and could never go back, I'd be sadder about missing those things that I would be about missing DLP. To be fair, I'm also very into history, so I care more about a lot of those things than most other people do.

I think that would be much less of an issue in Hong Kong or Shanghai, but those currently aren't very high on my list of places to visit.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom