Controversial/ Unpopular theme park opinions

Heppenheimer

And a NIGHTMARE at closing! Last time we went it took almost 75 minutes to get on a ferry!! I'd rather hoof it to the parking lot than rely on slow transportation (at least the parking trams are fast and come quickly)! Love the Contemporary for this option and will be glad when you can walk to GF!
Love the Wilderness Lodge for this option too. The boat ride is relaxing, makes frequent trips and is never uncomfortably packed.

NelleBelle

Love the Wilderness Lodge for this option too. The boat ride is relaxing, makes frequent trips and is never uncomfortably packed.
Wondered how crowded those boats got. Our next trip we are hoping to stay at Ft. Wilderness with our airstream—if not, maybe need to do one of of the WL DVC resorts!

Imagineer45

And a NIGHTMARE at closing! Last time we went it took almost 75 minutes to get on a ferry!! I'd rather hoof it to the parking lot than rely on slow transportation (at least the parking trams are fast and come quickly)! Love the Contemporary for this option and will be glad when you can walk to GF!
I have never had this issue, but have always either stayed post-fireworks or left before fireworks to avoid the mad rush out. If the ferry truly had a 75-minute line (and I am assuming the monorail line was even longer), either take a boat to Poly and then walk from there or walk to Contemporary and board the monorail there.

cat hem

I know this is odd but I really don't love the fireworks. I can't get excited about standing in a crowd, having my view blocked by a doofus with a GIANT Ipad he's hold up to film fireworks (why? just why? there's better pro videos all over the place!) We always try to get out of the parks well before they start or enjoy rides until they're over and mosy out of the park. Mass exodus is not my thing.

choco choco

Unpopular opinion I feel moderately strongly about:
- There's too much emphasis on E-tickets. And not enough calls for a rich assortment of simple dark rides.

Unpopular opinion I feel very strongly about:
- There should be a fee to bring a stroller into the park.

Unpopular opinion so crazy I'm pretty sure I'm unique about it:
- Queues elaborate enough to be called a "preshow" are a waste of the attractions budget and design time. Lands are supposed to be designed to be environmentally-rich, and the best queues are the ones that use that environment as sufficient for the queue. Best examples I can think of are the submarines at Disneyland, which is a simple awning under the monorail beam and is terrific mix of stimulation on all sides. Autopia on one side, monorail above, submarines in the water, crowds through the walkway and the Matterhorn in the distance. It's a super combination of kinetics, fresh air, water, color and people watching. In the old days, when the Sky Buckets were still around, there was even more activity all around. The Casey Jr train in that park is the same idea.

The concept that you have to isolate people in claustrophobic hallways and an endless series of pointless, talky rooms is a trend in a bad direction. I vividly remember being very frustrated at Epcot when Gary Sinise gave the umpteenth safety spiel I'd heard that day.

adimond

Very true. Although Transformers is a remarkably dumb IP (perhaps the most unwatchable film series ever to set box-office records; dare you to go back and try to sit through one), the same gimmickiness that made them better toys than movies also made for a great theme park ride.

Universal deserves props (as well as screens, hehe) for the execution on that attraction, which lives up to the precedent set by Spidey.

Also, this is only tangentially related, but I just wanna mention how much I miss T2:3D :(

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Very true. Although Transformers is a remarkably dumb IP (perhaps the most unwatchable film series ever to set box-office records; dare you to go back and try to sit through one), the same gimmickiness that made them better toys than movies also made for a great theme park ride.

Universal deserves props (as well as screens, hehe) for the execution on that attraction, which lives up to the precedent set by Spidey.

Also, this is only tangentially related, but I just wanna mention how much I miss T2:3D :(
That stunt show they were planning on replacing T2 with though looked extremely promising. Whether the IP sucked or not.

adimond

The Bourne Stuntacular? The name is a little much, but I don't mind those movies: well done spy fare. Would happily attend, if we ever have theme parks again!

NelleBelle

I have never had this issue, but have always either stayed post-fireworks or left before fireworks to avoid the mad rush out. If the ferry truly had a 75-minute line (and I am assuming the monorail line was even longer), either take a boat to Poly and then walk from there or walk to Contemporary and board the monorail there.
Totally should've done that if it was just my kids, my mom and me. But my husband is an ABSOLUTE rule follower--like, he won't cross the street if he's got a "don't walk" signal despite the street being completely empty :banghead: 😂 So he totally would've said, "I don't think we're supposed to do that,' despite the fact that there's nothing wrong about it!!! Drives me nuts with this stuff!!

NelleBelle

I know this is odd but I really don't love the fireworks. I can't get excited about standing in a crowd, having my view blocked by a doofus with a GIANT Ipad he's hold up to film fireworks (why? just why? there's better pro videos all over the place!) We always try to get out of the parks well before they start or enjoy rides until they're over and mosy out of the park. Mass exodus is not my thing.
DH and I just had a conversation about the morons who do this at fireworks and rides ("gee thanks, I really wanted to watch pirates on a mini-big screen in front of me. TURN IT OFF'') 😡 DH thinks that iPad needs to stop making an outward facing camera and just have one purely for FaceTime/conference calls. Why do you need to take video (ok, don't flame me...I totally understand the professions that totally use the iPad's camera features in the scope of their jobs)! But they don't need to be at theme parks!! 🤣

Heppenheimer

Unpopular opinion I feel moderately strongly about:
- There's too much emphasis on E-tickets. And not enough calls for a rich assortment of simple dark rides.

Unpopular opinion I feel very strongly about:
- There should be a fee to bring a stroller into the park.

Unpopular opinion so crazy I'm pretty sure I'm unique about it:
- Queues elaborate enough to be called a "preshow" are a waste of the attractions budget and design time. Lands are supposed to be designed to be environmentally-rich, and the best queues are the ones that use that environment as sufficient for the queue. Best examples I can think of are the submarines at Disneyland, which is a simple awning under the monorail beam and is terrific mix of stimulation on all sides. Autopia on one side, monorail above, submarines in the water, crowds through the walkway and the Matterhorn in the distance. It's a super combination of kinetics, fresh air, water, color and people watching. In the old days, when the Sky Buckets were still around, there was even more activity all around. The Casey Jr train in that park is the same idea.

The concept that you have to isolate people in claustrophobic hallways and an endless series of pointless, talky rooms is a trend in a bad direction. I vividly remember being very frustrated at Epcot when Gary Sinise gave the umpteenth safety spiel I'd heard that day.
One of the reasons for the differences in queue design between the two resorts might be weather-related. You can have more open queues in California because there is far less rain and temps are usually milder.

choco choco

One of the reasons for the differences in queue design between the two resorts might be weather-related. You can have more open queues in California because there is far less rain and temps are usually milder.

This is true. Although I still think a well-designed covered breezeway is sufficient. Magic Kingdom's early queues were often of this type, and so are other Disney resorts with temperamental weather. Paris (rainy and cold), for instance, has many queues like this and they are wonderful.

PSM

I'm happy we're seeing a lot of the new-style Mickey and Minnie characters integrated and hope it continues. I love everything about those new cartoon shorts and think the animators and writers are doing a fantastic job.

Giss Neric

I'm sorry but why do people always leave after Happily Ever After? it's not closing. You can roam around to let all the other guests cram the ferry, monorail and buses first then you leave. I forced my young nieces to suck it up and enjoy the night even though they were so ready to sleep.

Giss Neric

"Can't stand tour groups, cheer groups, any large- loud- rude group"

NOBODY tolerates them. Everyone wants to shut them up. Whenever I see those South American tour groups, I ran as far as I could away from them. When they enter the queue at a ride I'm currently standing in, I always provoke them by looking at them from head to toe and rolling my eyes. I'm petty like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom