Continuity error on smuggler’s run?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If hondo can magically add extra seats to the falcon without having to dismantle and rebuild the tiny cockpitt and be able to divert the controls for the main falcon guns to the cockpitt since in every movie the main guns are in their own gunner rooms with chairs(except for small short range guns Han used in Empire that were controled from his cockpitt console not the side, but the ones on the ride are meant to be the main falcon guns) then they could have had it where he put in a bigger temp ramp for easier mass entrance to the falcon. it could have been done. easily.

The guns turrets on the top and bottom are not the only guns. In this clip you can see there are guns on the front that would be controlled from the cockpit...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It still does not make sense we board it that way when no one, in any of the films in the HISTORY OF STAR WARS has ever boarded the falon through a jetway style connection. it has always been the ramp, and Luke through the top hatch in Empire. Never has it even been hinted that the falon has a side area you could "attach" that opens up because that does not make sense. the falcon is a small ship meant to be entered from the ramp or the top hatch if it was docked to a larger ship, never the side. Call me a nitpicker you all want but that is a major detail that has canoical relevance that disney ignored for the purpose of their ride that ruins the immersion of actually stepping on the falcon for me and selling me the experience that i just boarded the real millenium falcon which was their goal.

I am a huge Star Wars fan and I think the boarding process for the Falcon is really well done. Yes, it's not 100% accurate, but it's a great compromise between accuracy and the practical issues involved in a theme park attraction.

FettFan

When walking up to the attraction, we see that the Falcon is already docked, but when watching the pre-show with Hondo, it comes in for a landing?

The Falcon in the courtyard is actually the Fake Falcon that the Noghri assassins used as a trap to catch Han and Leia in the original Thrawn Trilogy.

Oh wait. Disney says they don't exist anymore.

giphy.gif

EDIT - For anyone wondering....
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Millennium_Falcon_(fake)

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I'm not sure if you're aware of how the ride works. There are four different rotating carousels holding multiple cockpits. After you see Hondo, you are sent to one of two Falcon "chess table" rooms. Each of these rooms has two of the four cockpit carousels attached to it via a hallway. After you are buckled into your cockpit, the doors close and your cockpit rotates to the next position, allowing for the next cockpit on the carousel to move from the unload spot to the load spot.

Not only would they have to have two Falcon mockups, you would not be able to see the whole thing, because they would have to disguise the fact that the cockpits are constantly being rotated out. So instead of having a full-size Falcon out front that we can see every single angle of and are free to take as many pictures as we want of, we would be limited to seeing a mockup of just the back of the ship. I'd rather just see the whole thing, it's a very impressive focal point in the land.
i am very much aware of how the ride works. the ride currently already tries to sell you that the falcon out front goes into the building and you board it. so make the falcon facade inside the show building so they can walk up the ramp then you use the current system that is already in place with the current turn tables

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
They should’ve really just built a bunch of Falcons inside a giant show building. Every group get to go up the ramp and control everything inside. The pilots pilot, gunners on the bottom and the top, and engineers messing with the engines. You would have to book a time months in advance.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

They should’ve really just built a bunch of Falcons inside a giant show building. Every group get to go up the ramp and control everything inside. The pilots pilot, gunners on the bottom and the top, and engineers messing with the engines. You would have to book a time months in advance.
sounds better than what we got now. sign me up.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Clone War Series......oh that must have been some offshoot of the main movies that only new generation or deep Star Wars folk would know.

I'm telling now that this Hodor dude has nowhere near the notoriety of a Chewy, Boba Fet or a Salacious Crum. I bet even Wado and Jar Jar are more well known.

Ya know, Boba Fett got such great fan acclaim by first appearing in a animated short that was part of the disowned and non-canonical Star Wars holiday special. Fans couldn't get enough Bob Fett. And then, he was put into the films as a totally undeveloped character. He might as well been called "spear carrier number five." And yet, look at the fan reaction.

Many fans are more than aware of Hondo from *two* SW animated series. Hondo, as a character with personality and a story arc and even lines (!), is a thousand time more developed than Boba Fett.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Too bad a life sized Chewy AA wasn't the one addressing us in the holding tank. Instead we get some very unknown Hodor dude.

Yeah, three minutes of warbled roaring would have made it the best ride ever!

We should get Donald Duck to narrate the Hall of Presidents and Iago to be the new narrator of Spaceship Earth, too!

Tom Morrow

I'm not gonna pretend that Smuggler's Run feels like an authentic "board and fly the Millennium Falcon" experience like they are selling. It doesn't feel like you are entering or leaving a real ship and the ride experience is only okay. But, I do think there were many compromises that had to be made to find a medium between that and also making it a high capacity people eater.

Epcot_Imagineer

Just for fun, can we talk about how the attraction acts as if the cockpit is at the center of the falcon? If we were trying to make this attraction even more true-to-life, the pilots would have to remember that they are on the right side of a circular ship with a 20 meter diameter... the center axis of which you are steering would in actuality be about 10 meters to your left!

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Hondo is actually a well known figure in the Star Wars verse. He was a pretty central character in the Clone Wars series and storyline.

AND HEREIN LIES THE PROBLEM. A lot of people aren't SW junkies, and haven't a clue what's going on. Iger and company swears that IP integration helps with story telling and giving us better experiences and blah blah, but it's really just them being lazy and giving us cookie-cutter experiences for purposes of saving a couple of bucks in development while advertising their properties at the same time.

No one knows who Hondor is and I doubt anyone really cares.

FettFan

Ya know, Boba Fett got such great fan acclaim by first appearing in a animated short that was part of the disowned and non-canonical Star Wars holiday special. Fans couldn't get enough Bob Fett. And then, he was put into the films as a totally undeveloped character. He might as well been called "spear carrier number five." And yet, look at the fan reaction.

Not quite true.

Boba Fett's actual first appearance was alongside Darth Vader as part of the San Anselmo County Fair parade, September 1978.

marinbobafett-400x3591.jpg

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-real-first-appearance-of-boba-fett

George Lucas had big plans for him in the beginning, specifically to be the new secondary villain after Vader died, while Luke was searching for his sister (who wasn't Leia) in the original Sequel Trilogy that was plotted out at least during the time Empire Strikes Back was being filmed.
("That boy was our last hope." "No. There is another." Ever wonder why/how Obi-Wan conveniently forgot about Leia?)

However, the Original Sequel Trilogy was scrapped and its major plot points were condensed into a new draft of Return of the Jedi.
Hence we get the gaping plot hole of Obi-Wan knowing Luke and Leia were siblings from the get-go, and just not saying a word.

0fcf4701e320003930a79294177ba945--star-wars-love-star-wars-stuff.jpg

Because he's a p'vert maybe?

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that Boba Fett was going to get overblown no matter what....and it was by design.
full

Then they did it again with Phasma. Until Rian Johnson screwed everything up.

actioncookbook

And people call my generation snowflakes. I've never seen people so mad about a theme park ride. Yikes.

In the larger scale, I don't get the frustration at this. So what if you don't know who Hondo is? Does it matter that much? It's a theme park. Some will recognize the characters, some won't.

Let's examine another example: the new Cars attraction. Ive never once watched a Cars movie. Does that mean I'm going to go all "DiSnEy SuCkS bEcAuSe Im CoNfUsEd"? No. No, it does not. It looks like a cool attraction. I'm sure some people will love it. That's neat.

Bottom line: we're adults, you'll be fine. Just cause you dont know Hondo, your family doesnt know Hondo, or even everyone you know doesnt know Hondo doesnt mean the attraction is flawed.

Accept that Hondo and crew are here to stay in what amounts to a pretty cool attraction or die mad about it.

Goofyernmost

AND HEREIN LIES THE PROBLEM. A lot of people aren't SW junkies, and haven't a clue what's going on. Iger and company swears that IP integration helps with story telling and giving us better experiences and blah blah, but it's really just them being lazy and giving us cookie-cutter experiences for purposes of saving a couple of bucks in development while advertising their properties at the same time.

No one knows who Hondor is and I doubt anyone really cares.
I might also point out that the IP integration would only exist if it contain all the characters and story lines of the original films. For now it is a new idea that is formulated and created by what is currently a Disney possession. Seriously, if you call Star Wars Land a cookie cutter experience your demands might need to be a little less, pie in the sky, and a little more based on what is doable and what isn't just a pipe dream. If one cannot just simply walk into that land and not be completely immersed in story then nothing will fire up the old imagination at all. Those were movies with tons of film tricks creating the illusion. Here it is brick and mortar. 3D and a solid reality visual.

If we are still stuck on (Gee, it's not like the original) then, again, nothing will help. I will say again, I have never followed the Star Wars Series and it is absolutely mind boggling what they created there with details down to the last rusted bolt. I know who Solo is but unless you can get a young Harrison Ford to do it, nothing is going to make that be real. We are all better off with a new story that has a chance of not being boring by next week or for that matter, be considered as not true to the original. It is getting to the point with time and distance that very few people know who Solo was or cares. It is the mistake of so many obsessed fans that they whole world is as sucked in by the Star Wars Universe as they are. We aren't. I did enjoy the land a lot in spite of my shortcomings of being Star Wars illiterate. Perhaps more!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom