Continued: Nobody at IOA Am I daydreaming?? lol..

Originally posted by MrPromey

P.S.
Someone had mentioned that they thought the Triceratops at IOA was used in one of the Jurassic Park Movies.I can tell you with almost totally certainty that it wasn't. Most of the lifelike dino shots that you see in all three of the movies are CG. The mechanical dinos that were actually used were manual puppets - not programmed animatronics.The animatronic at IOA also had to be a lot more durable than anything they used on the Movie sets. :)

I'm sure they made a Trike that could "breath" for the movie. It's in the "making of" movie and we saw it at a touring JP exhibit at the Natural History Museum in NYC -- I even sneaked a touch at the museum as it was by far my favorite dino! There's also a photo of it in the "Day in the Life of Hollwood" book. It's the triceratops that is sick in the first movie -- the Ellie Sadler character actually sort of leans on her. It looks exactly the same at IoA, but I'm just not sure if they remade her for the exhibit of not.

I do think of IoA as a thrill park -- with the two coasters, three of the best water rides I've ever been on and Spiderman (which is more technically advanced than any Disney attractions to date though I'm hoping Mission Space will blow it out of the water!).

I'm not impressed with Countdown to Extinction and I'm sorry if that surprises anyone -- the big guys are great, but the details are cheesy. The first time on I loved it. Now, each time on, I get annoyed at some of the little details I notice that look fake. I expect more from Disney.

But that's what this is all about to me -- I expect more from Disney than I do from Universal. I love IoA because it's a fun place to spend a day and it has two of my favorite attractions of all times (Spidey & Hulk). I LOVE Disney because if you don't love Disney you're nuts! It's apples and oranges to me.

MrPromey

Original Poster
Originally posted by Married@WDW

I'm sure they made a Trike that could "breath" for the movie. It's in the "making of" movie and we saw it at a touring JP exhibit at the Natural History Museum in NYC -- I even sneaked a touch at the museum as it was by far my favorite dino! There's also a photo of it in the "Day in the Life of Hollwood" book. It's the triceratops that is sick in the first movie -- the Ellie Sadler character actually sort of leans on her. It looks exactly the same at IoA, but I'm just not sure if they remade her for the exhibit of not.

I do think of IoA as a thrill park -- with the two coasters, three of the best water rides I've ever been on and Spiderman (which is more technically advanced than any Disney attractions to date though I'm hoping Mission Space will blow it out of the water!).

I'm not impressed with Countdown to Extinction and I'm sorry if that surprises anyone -- the big guys are great, but the details are cheesy. The first time on I loved it. Now, each time on, I get annoyed at some of the little details I notice that look fake. I expect more from Disney.

But that's what this is all about to me -- I expect more from Disney than I do from Universal. I love IoA because it's a fun place to spend a day and it has two of my favorite attractions of all times (Spidey & Hulk). I LOVE Disney because if you don't love Disney you're nuts! It's apples and oranges to me.

If I remember correctly, the dino in the movie was also laying down or on its side and it didn't do much beyond breathing. They may have based the one from IOA off the look of that one but they would have had to design a completely different frame and insides for the one at IOA which is standing and has much more movement and does interesting things like... ______... Also, I doubt that the "skin" used in the movie which was designed for a few days of filming, would be in too good of condition if left in a humid environment like the one at IOA is. Not that it's a big debate or anything but it would have been a lot cheaper to them to build a new one than to try to make that one do everything the one they use does.

Ok, I now have to stick up for Disney a little here on the claim that Spider man is the most technically advanced ride in the world... It's a motion base simulator with a 3-D movie and live elements. Individually, all of the elements making up this ride have been in use by both Disney and Universal for years. Surprisingly, the projectors for the film aren't even Digital. They use modified versions of traditional analogue projectors that have been around for decades. This may be the first time that all of it has been used together and I give total kudos to the company that designed it for creativity but I wouldn't call it a technological breakthrough by any means... At least not compared to Test Track (a ride that I'm not all that fond of). Take a look here if you haven't already:

http://www.wdwmagicmedia.com/tt_facts.htm

More computing power is present on board of each one of those cars than goes to space when the shuttle typically launches. I have seen the same shows that everyone else has on the Travel Channel where they show behind the scenes and talk about how Spidy was developed and I can tell you without a doubt that if you are talking only about technology (not ride experience) TT has Spidy beat... Personally, I prefer Spiderman as a ride. The lines are usually a lot shorter/quicker and... I drive two and half hours round trip to get to WDW, it's not something I want to do once I'm there ;)

Hmmm. Maybe I've never been in the Triceratops Experience and I'm getting it confused with the JP exhibit because I thought they looked they same. My confusion. Sorry!

I guess I don't count Test Track because I've always felt that if you can't make the technology work right, you don't deserve the credit. Disney finally gave up trying to make it work right and just run the ride with the glitched still in it. I don't think I've ever been on Test Track that it didn't shut down at some point while I was in line or on it, including our most recent trip in December. But I'll give you that -- the technology they used was pretty advanced. I just wish it worked right.

ToTBellHop

Actually, the technology on Test Track works TOO well. In general, the ride is not BREAKING down. When it breaks down, it doesn't open for days b/c it is so advanced that it takes that long to replace parts. When you see it stopping for 20 minutes that is because a sensor was tripped b/c every car has to be at an exact point at an exact time in its ride cycle. If it is a little bit off, the ride stops and has to be reset. Why? If your car is stopped, do you want the car behind you that's going 65 mph slamming into you? No. It's a safety issue. The ride works...and it certainly outdoes Spiderman. The technology used on Test Track cannot be found anywhere else. This is the same for Mission: SPACE. Also, I would trust that Mission: SPACE will be quite good as Michael Eisner has ridden it and enjoyed it (generally, if it's new and the public doesn't like it, Michael doesn't like it). Luckily, Mission: SPACE is enclosed and not at the mercy of the weather--so here's hoping it won't break down often--considering it's in testing and still doesn't open for a year, I hope they can get all the bugs worked out.

I do understand the reasons for Test Track shutting down -- I guess I was being too simplistic. But if the ride shuts down several times a day, in my opinion the techonology IS faulty no matter what the reason.

And Test Track may outdo Spiderman technologically, but not enjoyment wise. I think Test Track is a waste of good technology. And Test Track is still the only ride that's more technologically advanced than Spiderman (until Mission Space, of course).

Tom Morrow

Dinorama has the theme of being a cheap tacky golden-age-of-driving roadside (tourist trap) park. Some aspects of this kind of thing such as the rides and their theme elements are cheap. Personally, I consider this a sort of cop-out on Disney's part. They have themed it, yes - but they came up with a theme that allowed them to use lower quality amusement park rides (sort of like what I've heard about the pier at DCA) On the other hand, making that area of the park look old and rusted out and cheap the way they do to such detail was probably an expensive process when starting out with all new things that also had to be safe and stand the test of time. Facades like this were probably a lot more expensive and difficult to develop than the painted cement and fiberglass that make up many other parts of Disney as well as Universal. Let me make clear though, in the end, I think they got out cheap with this one overall.

I agree, and this is my biggest complaint about Dino Rama! You can argue that Dino Rama is well themed, but when your theme is "make it look cheap", it basically is a cop-out because it obviously takes a lot less effort and time. Dino Rama also doesn't fit into Animal Kingdom AT ALL. Its basically just a "quick fix" to Animal Kingdom's low attraction problem.

MrPromey

Original Poster
I have to go home now so as much as I know everyone would love to read another of my long drawn out posts, I can't give you one. Sorry ;) But... In an effort to kill this thread, I'm going to make another one titled "Is WDW or Universal Escape more technologically advanced?" since that is the territory we are treading into. We'll see if we can keep that discussion a little less emotional since it is based less on opinion and more on hard facts.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6991

Luau Cove

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Actually, the technology on Test Track works TOO well. In general, the ride is not BREAKING down.

This is Universal will be used as an evidence that Universal is "CHEAP" and the rides are wrongly built. Come on, guys for every Disney mistake you'll find a far-fetched answer? Test Track is an excellent ride, but it doesn't reach the standards for being a Disney attraction. It's an insult for someone who pays the day at Epcot to see if the ride is functioning or not, and in here the "not" is frequently present. If it rains, bad luck, no one controls the weather, but if it's a sunny day and it doesn't work it's nonsense, and this happened to me some times. I don't care if the safety mechanism works a way or other. I'm a guest , I pay and I demand to ride, so should be it. If they cannot keep up with the technology or needs of the ride they should repair it in order for this to stop.
About Roller-Coasters: The day Disney construct an outdoor roller-coaster with flips and faster than Disney mountains, that shall be the day where you could compare Universal's with Disney. Right now there are no similar coasters in both parks.

-->luau

Castle Cake Apologist

Originally posted by Luau Cove
I'm a guest , I pay and I demand to ride

Ok, fine ride it then. We'll turn off the technology for you to ensure that it doesn't stop. Just don't blame us when by some twist of fate (I mean, you KNOW rides at Universal never break down) your car does break down and the car behind you going 64 miles an hour plows into you. Geez, I swear, some people expect anything at Disney to be absolutely perfect. I mean, they even critisize Disney for putting technology in that keeps them alive in the event of a breakdown.

Tom Morrow

Originally posted by DisneyExpert

Ok, fine ride it then. We'll turn off the technology for you to ensure that it doesn't stop. Just don't blame us when by some twist of fate (I mean, you KNOW rides at Universal never break down) your car does break down and the car behind you going 64 miles an hour plows into you. Geez, I swear, some people expect anything at Disney to be absolutely perfect. I mean, they even critisize Disney for putting technology in that keeps them alive in the event of a breakdown.

Jeez, some people expect Universal to be perfect!

Heres an unbiased fact:

Both Test Track AND Spiderman are advanced rides, too advanced for their own good, and they both break down a lot because of that.

ToTBellHop

Luau...you sound like a three-year old. "I demand to get on! WAH WAH WAH!" You know, when you build a ride that could feasibly kill all of the passengers if not run properly, you make a few sacrifices in terms of Guest satisfaction so that they can experience a fun attraction. Last time I checked, this is a fun ride--it has two-hour waits much of the time which says something. I will agree that its technology may be a bit too advanced, but disney wanted to build it and this was the only way to do it safely.

Luau Cove

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Luau...you sound like a three-year old. "I demand to get on! WAH WAH WAH!"

Ok. First, cut the crap, 'cause you are the first one to sound like a baby crying "Disney good, other bad!". You do not only discuss without fundaments, and you are the one to critize? Mmm, I really don't think that's too mature. I'm not the one that defends something with empty excuses like "Technology is to blame", I'm not the one that says "YES I'm Disney biased" and keeps discussing and finally I'm not the one that when is out of ideas try to offend people, you know this last one is a very cheap shot.
If you want to discuss like someone mature I recommend you should not keep stepping on your own feet, and then you might learn why this is called discussion and not quarrel. You know sometimes you should accept the truth instead of keep distorting it, for a change.

-->Luau

DigitalDisney

when you build a ride that could feasibly kill all of the passengers if not run properly, you make a few sacrifices in terms of Guest satisfaction so that they can experience a fun attraction
All rides could kill someone somehow. Someone did die on the Skyway, and there were dangerous accidents on Roger Rabbit and Splash Mtn. This is a lame excuse.

it has two-hour waits much of the time which says something
Yeah. Horrible ride capacity. The beiggest and best roller coasters in the world don't have wait times anywhere near the wait time for Test Track or Spiderman.

DogsRule, you are easily the biggest Disney fan-boy I've ever known. It shows with every post you make.

Castle Cake Apologist

Originally posted by DigitalDisney
All rides could kill someone somehow. Someone did die on the Skyway, and there were dangerous accidents on Roger Rabbit and Splash Mtn. This is a lame excuse.

Yeah. Horrible ride capacity. The beiggest and best roller coasters in the world don't have wait times anywhere near the wait time for Test Track or Spiderman.

DogsRule, you are easily the biggest Disney fan-boy I've ever known. It shows with every post you make.

Ok, yes... all rides could kill someone, and they do. Maybe it's because they don't have the technology TT has to keep people alive.

Horrible Ride Capacity? I don't know about hourly passengers, but in relation to how many can fit in a car, Test Track holds 6 people per car, where say, Pooh hold 4 per pot. Yet Test Track has 2 hour waits and pooh has only 45 minutes. So, don't use that as an excuse. The biggest and best coasters in the world don't have horrible wait times? Last time I was at (Heaven forbid, a thrill park!) King's Island the wait for one of the world's best coasters (Maybe not on your little coaster enthusisats lists, but in the eye of the public) FaceOff had a wait of about 4 hours. The Beast, which is always ranked up there (It's in the top 10 wooden coasters in the world I believe and it's the longest wooden coaster ever built) had a wait of about 2 hours. Son of Beast's wait was about 5 hours and finally they had to close it after someone broke their neck. (It's wooden, and it goes 80 some miles an hour, you do the math.) DropZone, which isn't a coaster, but a free fall, had waits of about 1 1/2. SO, you're right, the biggest and best coaster don't have waits like TT and SPidey, they have worse.:rolleyes:

And, for goodness sake, of COURSE he's a Disney fan-boy. He's at a website called WDWMagic.com. It's not called Universalmagic.com. The only reason that there are Universal boards inside these forums is because it is a thrill park inside the Orlando area. Notice this board is under the sub title "Other Orlando Attractions". It's like that for a reason. I'm a Disney fan-boy, that's the only reason I'm here, is because I stumbled across this board while surfing a DISNEY forums.

Tom Morrow

Ok, yes... all rides could kill someone, and they do. Maybe it's because they don't have the technology TT has to keep people alive.

Just so you know, 99% of all rider deaths are the rider's fault. A rollercoaster is probably saver than Test Track because it is such simpler technology that has been tested and proven for decades.

The biggest and best coasters in the world don't have horrible wait times? Last time I was at (Heaven forbid, a thrill park!) King's Island the wait for one of the world's best coasters (Maybe not on your little coaster enthusisats lists, but in the eye of the public) FaceOff had a wait of about 4 hours. The Beast, which is always ranked up there (It's in the top 10 wooden coasters in the world I believe and it's the longest wooden coaster ever built) had a wait of about 2 hours. Son of Beast's wait was about 5 hours and finally they had to close it after someone broke their neck. (It's wooden, and it goes 80 some miles an hour, you do the math.) DropZone, which isn't a coaster, but a free fall, had waits of about 1 1/2. SO, you're right, the biggest and best coaster don't have waits like TT and SPidey, they have worse.:rolleyes:

LMAO!! You actually think of Face/Off as one of the best coasters in the world??!? That thing is crap, and there are several of the same ride all over the country. The reason it had a 4 hour wait is because it can only run one train at a time due to its design, so yes, it has horrible capacity. But it is NOT one of the world's biggest and best.

The Beast and Son of Beast are 2 of the most popular wooden coasters in the country, so of course they'll have hour - 2 hour waits in the summer. But what you didn't realize is that Test Track also gets lines up to 2 1/2 - 3 hours long in the summer time. Test Track's capacity is actually slightly worse than your average coaster.

And, for goodness sake, of COURSE he's a Disney fan-boy. He's at a website called WDWMagic.com. It's not called Universalmagic.com. The only reason that there are Universal boards inside these forums is because it is a thrill park inside the Orlando area. Notice this board is under the sub title "Other Orlando Attractions". It's like that for a reason. I'm a Disney fan-boy, that's the only reason I'm here, is because I stumbled across this board while surfing a DISNEY forums.

Being a Disney fan, like me, is good. Being a Disney Fanboy, is bad. A fanboy's mentality is "My park is the best, and every other park sucks compared to it, and if you don't agree with me then you're stupid!"

Luau Cove

So you tend to follow the majority blindly, if everybodys goes and commit suicide, you'll follow them?
Because it's a Disney board we don't need to act like zombies answering "Disney has no faults" with no evidence, nor critizice Universal just because it's not an Universal site. There's a big difference in being a Disney fan and a Disney freak. I, being fan, accept Disney mistakes, while a Disney freak acts like a kid that thinks Mickey Mouse is real and that Disney makes everything to perfection. I really wish it was that way, but it isn't, so just accept the truth and try enjoying it the way it is.

-->luau

DigitalDisney

Fan-boy-ism:
Thanks Tom Morrow and Luau Cove

As they said, there's a big difference between being a fan and being a "fan-boy". A fan will support his park, but will also recognize the park's flaws. A fan will admit that their park isn't perfect, and that other parks may do something better.

A fan-boy is completely different. A fan-boy has a one-track-mind, and blindly believes that their park can do no wrong. For example, DogsRule is a big fan of Primeval Whirl (nothing wrong with that because it looks like a fun ride), but criticizes the Hulk and Dueling Dragons because of a lack of theming or story or some jazz like that. That's a clear one-way bias, which is very immature if you ask me. I don't think he's said one slightly negative or even neutral thing about Disney.

Coasters:
Tom Morrow explained it perfectly. Beast and Son of Beast are two of the world's best coasters, and they're both record setters (Nearly any coaster enthusiast will tell you that). Being the longest coaster in the world, and the first and only wooden coaster with a loop (as well as being the first hyper-woodie) is worth noting. This usually produces a significant line, regardless of ride capacity. However, unreliable Vekoma shuttle-coaster garbage like Face-Off, Deja Vu, and Boomerangs have horrible ride capacities, which lead to long lines regardless of the park's occupancy.

The_CEO

The only thing i DIDNT like on The Beast and Son Of Beast were the helixes.. Those were to bumpy....... Ofcourse thats me... The rides are great in every shape in form.... Just that one part of the ride is what hurts.... Millenium Force IS the best Hyper Coaster built so far.. It has a great drop and has a custom lift. AN ELEVATOR!!!... Wow.... Its the second highest coaster in the world and has the second longest drop also.. The Steel Dragon 2000 in Japan is the Biggest in the world.... I have never ridden it and i dont plan to anytime soon.. Millenium Force wins my vote for best Hyper Coaster.. Has anyone riden Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens VA??? I love that rollercoaster.. That is my favorite rollercoaster of all times.. Thats my baby...
~ Justin...

Bdis86

Account Suspended
I'm sticking with Disney Rides, thank you very much. lol. But only for 2 reasons: location and safety records. Sure Disney isn't perfect, but their record is much better then 6 Flags or Busch Gardens, or Paramount's Great America. Disney and Universal are safer, and that's why they can have the rides that are so advanced. Go and look for another ride system more advanced then Test Track's, or Tower of Terror's, or Indiana Jones Adventure's, or Spider Man's even. You won't find them outside of Disney or Universal. And Disney has the more impressive list of "firsts":

CoP
ToT
Indiana Jones
Universe of Energy
Haunted Mansion
Test Track
Mission Space
TTA
Matterhorn
Roger Rabbit
Monorail
Pooh's Hunny Hunt
etc.

All thanks to a division of Disney that Walt called "Imagineering." :)

ToTBellHop

yo! I don't like Universal. Case closed? Is there a problem with that. I joined a Disney forum for a reason. I absolutely HATE Universal. You can say "your loss"...fine...I am none to happy to spend all of my time on Disney property. When I want thrills, I go to Six Flags. This is why I'm also on a Six Flags forum. I simply have no use for Universal. If I want coasters, I head to the great state of Ohio where they have what...40 coasters between three parks? Would I think Primeval Whirl! were obnoxious looking if I could see it from say..Asia? Yes. In fact, I will admit that I was originally in the party that was against Primeval Whirl! while it was under construction. Then I saw it. As for Universal, I will give credit where I feel it is due. I thought the queue for Dueling Dragons was incredible and they did an amazing job on it. Are their coasters fun? Yes, but I can find better ones much closer to home. I don't go to Florida for the COASTERS or even for the thrill rides, although I do love them. I go there for the MAGIC, and Universal has none.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom