Contemporary vs. Boardwalk

WDWspider

OK Gang... I need help.

I am planning a 2004 (not 2003) December trip. We are still in the early stages of preparing for a trip direction, but part of that is based on which resort we will be staying at... my past two trips were easy... we knew we wanted the Lodges, but this time is different. I have very little knowledge of the places we want to stay this next round: the Contemporary or the Boardwalk. So I need your help. Give us facts, restaurants, perks, prices, pictures, feelings, room suggestions, recreations, and anything else that may be useful in helping us decide between the two.

Things to know... this will be a December trip (mainly for Christmas things). This will be a shorter trip for us, so we are leaning more toward closeness to parks and simple fun just being at the resort, not actually doing too many extra things like storytelling, tours, or watching animals for hours. (each has certain appeals to me from what I do know) We will have a three year old with us.

We also considered Polynesian, but decided it worthy of our next long trip to WDW, therefore it's out this time round.

Feel Free to mention Christmas details at the resorts as well.

Thanks everyone.

mousecar

I loved both of them.

The Contemporary: nothing beats staying in the tower with a view of the park. The gameroom at the Contemporary is the best at the parks- it's huge! Chef Mickey's is awesome for a character meal. There is nothing like getting off the monorail and taking the elevator up to your room. You can also walk to the Magic Kingdom.
Sure its not as "contemporary" anymore but it's a WDW original. We stayed in November when the Christmas decorations were up.
When we were there a few years back there was a Christmas show there - I think I heard that it's gone but the CMs out there should know.

The Boardwalk: Again a boardwalk view is fantastic. A little bit of noise from the boats but who wants to sleep in anyway? ESPN Club has great food. The themed pool is neat but it will be a little cold! We've spent the most trips at the Boardwalk. It's nice to be able to walk to EPCOT. We've never stayed there when the Christmas decorations are up.

Sounds like a great trip. Have a good time!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

SirNim

If you are after close proximity to MK, or want to spend more time at MK, stay at the Contemporary.

However, if you are like me, enjoying Epcot, and want to spend more time At Epcot, stay at the BoardWalk.

They are both fantastic properties in their own rights: The Contemp. with its modern (outdated modern, but modern nonetheless! ;) ) feel and nostalgic Disney architecture, its stunning views and sweet amenities, like the Monorail. The BW: with its seaside old boardwalk feel, takes you right back to a simpler time; you have easy walking distance to Int. Gateway in addition to lots of nightlife right outside your door, in the form of the BW itself, with lots of dining choices and entertainment options.

As I have not stayed at any of these properties (although I have been in both of them at one time or another!:) ), I would not know of the "finer" things, the little details and such that might impact a vacation. However, generally, I would stay next to the park I most enjoy, because in the end, both these properties are extremely Disney-esque, extremely chock-full of great amenities, and are extremely good choices for places to stay at for a week in WDW. :)

Upvote 0

WDWspider

Original Poster
OK, here is the thing.

We are mainly going for Christmas attractions...

So we will not go to AK on this trip.

We will go to MK for MVMCP and Philharmagic.

We will go to MGM to see the Christmas Lights one night and Fantasmic another night (we have yet to see this if you can believe that)

We will go to EPCOT for M:S and the Christmas around the world.

I can't decide right now, it is really a tough call for me, and I can usually decide these things easily... like I said i already know Poly for the trip after this one. :lol:

Upvote 0

wild01ride

I've been to WDW a dozen times and on the last trip we stayed at Boardwalk. I can honestly say that I wouldn't prefer to go anywhere else now.
Contemporary is nice but the atrium is loud and if you're afraid of heights in the least (I am!)- yikes! It does have a lot of positive elements- proximity to MK, character b'fast (at least it did last time I was there).
However, from Boardwalk, we always chose to make the very short walk to either Epcot or MGM without having to wait for ANY transportation!
Each morning, we'd grab a muffin, bagel, etc. fresh from the bakery on the Boardwalk, then head where we wanted to go. The pools (themed and quiet) were ample and appropriate in their own respects.
Beyond this, the Boardwalk area has a lot to offer for everyone.

Just my $0.02!

(As far as pricing- ??:veryconfu )

Have fun no matter what you do! ( I caught the tail end of the Christmas season in '01/'02- we arrived on Dec. 30, 2001 and stayed through the first week of Jan.- they did such an immaculate job of decorating for Christmas!:xmas: )

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Contemporary just looks ugly and gaudy! And during the peak Christmas time, the monorails are not convenient AT ALL. The stations are always maxed out and you get stuck on the monorail before a station due to the high level of people and congestion. So it is not as convenient as one may think.

BoardWalk, my family was there over Christmas/NewYears 2002-03. It is beautiful there. They have a model boardwalk made out of candies and cookies that is the biggest display I have ever seen. The ambiance is nautical, and not only can you walk to Epcot, but you can also walk to MGM. Or take a boat. And the Christmas decorations are everywhere inside and out, especially wrapped aorund every pole on the boardwalk itself. All the normal white lights that "swag" on the boardwlak have been re strung with red and green. And seeing Illuminations nightly is the best! And walk to all the other Epcot resorts and eat or play mini golf.

Hands down, always go with an Epcot Resort over a MK Resort!!!!

Upvote 0

WDWspider

Original Poster
Great, you guys are giving me some excellent insight and information to work on. I hope there are a few more that can post some info. I am leaning a direction now, but would still like some more. Can anyone give details about the rooms offered at the two, and which is best for a 3 year old? The Character Breakfast at Chef Mickey's does sound good for that.

Upvote 0

wild01ride

Rooms

We stayed at the Villas (DVC) at Boardwalk. Specifically, we were in a "one-bedroom" which has a bedroom, a very spacious bathroom with Jacuzzi tub and a living room and kitchenette. The kitchen has a full-size refrigerator which was nice because we were able to store munchies and stuff there to help out with snacks so as not to have to go somewhere any time you want a nibble.
The room was beautiful with a balcony overlooking the river that runs between Crescent lake and MGM and with a beautiful view of the Swan and Dolphin (the fountains of each are lit in a warm green glow at night- breathtaking!)
I know that the villas are available in the form of studio, one, two, three and grand villa configurations (maybe a couple variations on the grand villas).
Regardless, the resort as a whole is superb!

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

Originally posted by spider-man
OK, here is the thing.

We are mainly going for Christmas attractions...

We will go to MK for MVMCP and Philharmagic.

We will go to MGM to see the Christmas Lights one night and Fantasmic another night (we have yet to see this if you can believe that)

We will go to EPCOT for M:S and the Christmas around the world.

Stayed at boardwalk inn this past October and went to MNSSHP (mickey's not so scary halloween party). Transportation to MK was a bit of a hassel. From BW, you take a bus that's share with Yacht and Beach, swan, and dolphin. At the time, boardwalk was the last stop on the run. Three busses to MK went buy TOTAL full of families with strollers.

Haven't stayed at contemporary but I would imagine the monorail to MK and to Epcot (via TTC) would be easier.

Other than that 1 issue, we loved our stay at boardwalk. It was the best time we've had at our resort. But if you're going specifically for the Christmas special activities you might want to consider these transportation issues

Upvote 0

Scooter

With a 3 year old I'd choose The Contemporary.

There's a huge arcade there...a very nice playground, and of course Chef Mickeys character meals..a must for children.

The Contemporary rooms are the biggest on property and when I took my kids of the Monorail every day while I was there, it was magical for them!

Both Resorts have their Pros and cons...but with small children I'd choose The Contemporary.

BTW...I disagree about the Contemporary Resort being Ugly and Gaudy...My family finds it to be awesome. Maybe some people see Monorails going through resorts more often than I do...I still get a kickout of it. :animwink:

Upvote 0

leeocean

I give a vote to Contemporary. Nothing beats staying in the tower with a view of the park. Chef Mickey's is the most fun character meal. Walking to the MK is the biggest perk. The Boardwalk has a walk to Epcot but it's just not as cool as the walking to the MK. It's awesome getting off the monorail and taking the elevator up to your room. The Contemporary is an American institution.

Upvote 0
We like the Boardwalk because you can walk to Epcot, and there are plenty of things to do right on the Boardwalk. We stayed at the Grand Floridian last time, and did not like it as much. However, if you have a 3 year old, you most likely will want to spend more time at the Magic Kingdom, and the Contemporary (and the GF, and Polynesian) are so close that those would be the logical choice for you.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom