Contemporary Tower link bridge installation begins

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
On the renderings that are floating around the internet, the columns go above the walkway and have wires connecting down, so it looks like a suspension bridge or a cable-stayed bridge.

contempadd2.jpg

db_Contemp_DVC_Wing_art19.jpg

ccmuffin2

I really thought they'd do a two-story walkway, going to the 4th and 5th floors, so you didn't have to walk over and then take the escalator up to the monorail platform. But it definitely looks like it's only one story. :(

a fifth floor walk over ? I guess you would then have to walk through the Monorail track I guess !! Did you mean a 6th floor walk over ? that way you would walk over the Monorail the track. But wait you don't need anything more than a fourth floor walk over either because the escalator to the monorail is easy to walk to just past the shops which would all ready be handicapped assessable to the monorail platform. Hey wouldn't it be fun to have a Glass ceiling in the fourth floor walkover and a glass floor in the sixth floor walk over so two people can yell at each other stop ! go Back ! I'm right here ! when your trying to go someplace and this way they could just chase each other back from tower to tower . Or maybe Disney should only have one walk over so people would see each other as they pass each other.....LOL

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I'm pretty sure it's a cable stay bridge if ir ecall the concept art properly.

That being said, i can't find any examples of that shape of cable stay or suspension bridge - the serpentine is unique. As much as people have mocked it for looking like watergate, the overall design seems to be quite modern and cutting edge.

ccmuffin2

That being said, i can't find any examples of that shape of cable stay or suspension bridge - the serpentine is unique. As much as people have mocked it for looking like watergate, the overall design seems to be quite modern and cutting edge.

It looks like it winds between the poles. Hey it is needed so people can travel to and from the towers in bad weather as well as to the other things like eating and traveling to the park. But if you are in a hurry to go to the Magic Kingdom you are just gonna walk there using the path ,since the Monorail goes clockwise around the lagoon.

djkidkaz

Am I the only one who thinks that art looks horrible? It looks too airport / parking garage to me! My other concern is if they don't use the same exact color concrete from the contemporary, its going to look awkward.

GeneralKnowledge

There was a similarly shaped cable stayed pedestrian bridge in a recent issue of "Modern Steel Construction" magazine. It is being built to span over the Missouri river, here is a rendering.

Birdseye_noOverlooks_POSTER.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
Ughhhh I really dislike having such a random building sitting right next to the Magic Kingdom. It doesn't look like it fits in at all, and it makes the Contemporary's main building, one of the most iconic structures in WDW, look insignificant. I'm hoping that I will like the finished product a lot more than I like the concept art (which is not at all).

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Ughhhh I really dislike having such a random building sitting right next to the Magic Kingdom. It doesn't look like it fits in at all, and it makes the Contemporary's main building, one of the most iconic structures in WDW, look insignificant. I'm hoping that I will like the finished product a lot more than I like the concept art (which is not at all).

I don't know....while I agree that being so close to MK it might be a distraction (think Swan/Dolphin at Epcot), from an architectural perspective, the two buildings do go together nicely...JMHO

jt04

Prepare yourself. I think it is likely that if the new tower sells well (and it will) it is only a matter of time before they replace the south garden wing with a new DVC. Of course it will probably be cube shaped. Then you would have a triangle, a circle and a square. Now how much more futuristic can you get than that. :lookaroun

2gether

Building exterior

I for one think that unless they had actually built another A-frame they could not have matched architecture much better.

jt04

I for one think that unless they had actually built another A-frame they could not have matched architecture much better.

I agree, it's seems people are passing judgement on this way to quickly. I think it will look fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom