Contemporary to breakfast ADR at Poly's Kona Cafe-monorail?

Hulacat

Original Poster
We are headed to The Contemporary for our 4th anniversary soon, and we have an ADR for breakfast at Kona Cafe. What do you think is the quickest way to get there (beside the jet pack that hasn't quite made it into my garage yet)?
I don't know the order of the monorail stops so I am worried it will be several stops before we make it to Poly. Is it better to just take our car?
Thanks in advance!!

ParentsOf4

Driving involves walking to your car in the parking lot, waiting for one stop light to take a left, taking a right on red at the second stop light, getting through security at the Poly gate, parking, walking to the lobby, and getting to the stairs or elevator (which are in the back of the lobby) in order to reach the Kona Café on the second floor. Parking at the Poly can be a pain. In addition, you could have half-a-dozen cars ahead of you at the security gate to enter the parking lot, each of whom will be checked by security.

The Monorail involves taking the escalator to the platform, waiting a couple of minutes for the next one, possibly longer if you are leaving when everyone's heading to the theme parks, making one stop at TTC, and then exiting the Monorail at the Poly. The Kona Café is immediately to the left as you walk in from the Monorail. It's not that unusual for Monorail to stop operating for a few minutes for any one of several reasons.

DW and I were shopping at the Grand Floridian last week and walked over to have lunch at the Kona Café. Meanwhile, our children were joining us from BLT. The Monorail was halted for a good 15 minutes. Consequently, they were about 15 minutes late for lunch.

IMO, either way, there are too many things that can vary to say definitively that one will be faster than the other. Driving (including all the extra walking) will probably take longer most of the time but there will be times when the Monorail will be longer.

MMDVC

What time is your breakfast reservation?
The monorail might not be running but the Disney Busses run early enough. When a bus pulls up ask them to take you to the Poly and very often they will. I usually stay at BLT and want to eat at the Kona for early breakfast and have always had luck with bus drivers. I think the busses that officially run for the early Character Dining have an abbreviation on the front of the Bus. I can't remember what they were or what they meant. Just ask the bus driver when he pulls up.

Clamman73

What time is your breakfast reservation?
The monorail might not be running but the Disney Busses run early enough. When a bus pulls up ask them to take you to the Poly and very often they will. I usually stay at BLT and want to eat at the Kona for early breakfast and have always had luck with bus drivers. I think the busses that officially run for the early Character Dining have an abbreviation on the front of the Bus. I can't remember what they were or what they meant. Just ask the bus driver when he pulls up.
Yeah...If someone is going soon, the resort beam is supposed to be down 12am - 830am on mondays/tuesdays, so have to watch for that. I like the bus idea if they can go straight there.

MaryJaneP

Monorail would be our first choice if it is running on-time. Buses would be our second choice. Driving ourselves would be our last choice. Maybe you could ask at the front desk for their recommendation, a morning or two in advance. They may also tell you if there are any transportation changes on that specific morning.

We are kinda surprised no-one has mentioned the boats, as we always enjoy bobbing along bay lake and seven seas lagoon. Granted they are not speedy and we are not sure of the resort docking order so CR to Poly may not be timely.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We are kinda surprised no-one has mentioned the boats, as we always enjoy bobbing along bay lake and seven seas lagoon. Granted they are not speedy and we are not sure of the resort docking order so CR to Poly may not be timely.
You cannot travel by boat between the Contemporary and the Polynesian.

Boats from the Contemporary only travel to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness.

Boats from the Poly only travel to MK and the Grand Floridian.

jrogue

I'd say take the monorail if it's running (get on at Contemporary, then pass TTA, then you're at the Poly!) because it's super fast, easy, and leaves you right near the Kona Cafe. You won't have to worry about parking or finding the restaurant.

If the monorail isn't operating yet then driving is your next best bet.

Hulacat

Original Poster
Wowza- you have all been so very kind in all of your well thought out advice!!! We will have a late (10:15am) breakfast, so it sounds like the monorail will be the best way to go. Unless it is not running for some reason. Other than that, thanks so much for taking the time to help us as we prep for our 4th anniversary/ 4th Disneymoon :)

Bacon

Wowza- you have all been so very kind in all of your well thought out advice!!! We will have a late (10:15am) breakfast, so it sounds like the monorail will be the best way to go. Unless it is not running for some reason. Other than that, thanks so much for taking the time to help us as we prep for our 4th anniversary/ 4th Disneymoon :)
Your welcome have a magical time!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom