Contemporary resort water leak

montyz81

Main problem with leaky pipes is the mold and mildew. That's what is missing from the tower of terror.

Disney would have to shut down much of the resort to repipe the place so I wouldn't hold your breath on them doing it any time soon. They can try to do it it piece by piece but in the end that never works out that well.
I just had visions of the Yeti!

Tom

Beta Return
Probably not...but it certainly makes the problem more complicated.

Lets get some input from those who know more about these types of thing....Paging @Tom @Master Yoda

In spite of the urban legend, the rooms at the Contemporary were never designed to be removed.

Since I have never been in the bowels of the Contemporary I can't say how hard or easy repairs are, but they are rarely easy.

Buildings meant for public use are almost neverdesigned with easy repair in mind. Utilities are often given the minimum space they need to function. Getting to them when they break 10,20 or 40 years down the road is someone else's problem.

Yeah, pretty much this. They were only built offsite and in modular format to fast track the project. Not for future simplicity. In fact, pre-fab units make it much harder to do anything later because they would often embed conduits and pipes in the concrete floors and ceilings (lids). That kept anything from penetrating up or down, since they had to slide in like drawers.

When you build a modern hotel, you pour all the floors, then run plumbing and electrical between the floors, either in a small plenum (gap between a ceiling and the floor above), or an interstitial floor (like an actual crawlspace between floors). Or in the lower budget hotels, since all the bathrooms are stacked, the under-floor plumbing just forces the ceiling to be lower in the restroom below it - hence why nearly every hotel restroom ceiling is lower than the room ceiling.

When they converted Poly longhouses to DVC studios, they GUTTED them. I'm talking scraped down to the original concrete, leaving one giant open space per floor. They built new walls from scratch, including the double-walls between rooms.

FYI... when a resort goes down for rehab (building by building) they are stripped bare and replaced from the floor up... i have seen it when passing through POFQ on the Sassagula a while back.
EDIT::: Bare as in down to the steel studs, all wiring and piping NOT in the concrete anyway:::

Right, and as I mentioned above, even further with the Poly. They even tore the old studs out.

An exception would be a soft-goods refurbish only, where they just replace fixtures, floorcoverings and wallcoverings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom