Contemporary resort water leak

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Main problem with leaky pipes is the mold and mildew. That's what is missing from the tower of terror.

Disney would have to shut down the much of the resort to repipe the place so I wouldn't hold your breath on them doing it any time soon. They can try to do it it piece by piece but in the end that never works out that well.

But this raises an interesting question what is the "lifespan" of some of the old buildings contemporary, Polly, ex... even after face lifts like the (Polly just got) don't fix the guts pipes, ducts, wiring, ex. So at somepoint these old buildings will need to be closed, stripped down to studs, and rebuilt... right? I mean they are almost 50 years old!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
But this raises an interesting question what is the "lifespan" of some of the old buildings contemporary, Polly, ex... even after face lifts like the (Polly just got) don't fix the guts pipes, ducts, wiring, ex. So at somepoint these old buildings will need to be closed, stripped down to studs, and rebuilt... right? I mean they are almost 50 years old!
Stripping the resort downs to studs would be next to impossible with the way that Contemporary was built. The rooms were built off site and then slid into place in a steel framework. The units would have rusted solidly in place by now making that kind of repair next to impossible.

Might be time for a complete rebuild....

Mike S

Stripping the resort downs to studs would be next to impossible with the way that Contemporary was built. The rooms were built off site and then slid into place in a steel framework. The units would have rusted solidly in place by now making that kind of repair next to impossible.

Might be time for a complete rebuild....
Wow. Could it really be that bad?

mj2v

Can you hear.... The leak tonight? The sound that stills your heart...
It's enough to ruin your vacation... Can you say Shanghai?

Amano oh oh yeh ho.... He ho he ho he ho

It's enough to separate kings and vagabonds, to the leaky rooms....
Just believe the very best....
(Flash from Men In Black flashy wipey memory thingy here)

Uh, how soon can we come back?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Probably not...but it certainly makes the problem more complicated.

Lets get some input from those who know more about these types of thing....Paging @Tom @Master Yoda
In spite of the urban legend, the rooms at the Contemporary were never designed to be removed.

Since I have never been in the bowels of the Contemporary I can't say how hard or easy repairs are, but they are rarely easy.

Buildings meant for public use are almost neverdesigned with easy repair in mind. Utilities are often given the minimum space they need to function. Getting to them when they break 10,20 or 40 years down the road is someone else's problem.

Last edited:

ryguy

I am pretty sure the Poly in it's last renovation went down to studs. (Probably don't have studs but you know what I am getting at) I thought I read on Tikiman's page that all the guts in the long houses were redone along with the ac. The Contemporary would probably be a much harder task of replacing all the plumbing.

I know my parents house which was built in the early 70's the last few years have been getting pin hole leaks in many of the copper plumbing pipes, this doesn't really surprise me. Definitely a pain in the neck.

dstrawn9889

FYI... when a resort goes down for rehab (building by building) they are stripped bare and replaced from the floor up... i have seen it when passing through POFQ on the Sassagula a while back.
EDIT::: Bare as in down to the steel studs, all wiring and piping NOT in the concrete anyway:::

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Stripping the resort downs to studs would be next to impossible with the way that Contemporary was built.

True however it has to have some type of frame work that it can be brought down to. While the rooms were plumbed when they went in the main lines/other infrastructure had to have been built into the frame work that the units were slipped into.
In spite of the urban legend, the rooms at the Contemporary were never designed to be removed.

Understood and thanks for the info regarding Comercial construction... sounds like modern cars...
I am pretty sure the Poly in it's last renovation went down to studs.

But didn't they just do a few buildings? I would hope the buildings they converted were gutted and replaced but what about the main building or some of the non transformed building. The issue I think they have with the contemporary is that if they did need to gut her they lose the most iconic hotel on property for probably a year. Unlikeep other resorts on property were they could do it building by building and then just kind of make it work as they do the main/check-in building.

jrogue

I think someone has left the shower running! - Jose, Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room

"Oh, look at it come down! All you have to do is put your wash on the line right?" :hilarious:
Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 10.57.46 AM.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom