Contemporary Rehab/Chef Mickey question

XS-Spence

fngoofy said:
Yeah, right.

drnilescrane said:

Neil, the rehab project coordinator at front desk. Plus several Imagineers that i've chatted with in the lobby. you don't believe me? ome ask and I'll get you verification. I'm in the lobby 9 to 5:30 Wednesday through Sunday.

drnilescrane

Luckily, no mention of DVC coming to the resort.

There are some people using the fact the north garden wing is not being currently renovated as a basis for DVC coming to the resort, but I think the answer is a bit more simple - Why would Disney Close Both Garden Wings at Once? I just can't see Disney reducing rooms at it's second largest convention resort (Only outweighed by Cornando Springs due to it's exhibition hall), and the best hotel for Magic Kingdom access.

Speaking of the convention center, it's a lovely contemporary building in it's own right, but just does not fit in next to the tower.

EDIT: X-Spence Got in Before Me. It's not that I dont trust you (you obliously work at the resort), I just find DVC hard to swallow (Sort of Denial), it's the same way I'd feel if they anounced the removal of the Mary Blair mural (I think they are the last ones remaining on Disney theme park property).

Does Neil Have an email adress so I can confirm myself (or a phone number I can call while in Anaheim later this year), I dont really want to fly in from Aus.

XS-Spence

drnilescrane said:
EDIT: X-Spence Got in Before Me. I just find DVC hard to swallow. Does Neil Have an email adress (or a phone number I can call while in Anaheim later this year), I dont really want to fly in from Sydney.

While i'd love to inundate Neil with e-mails from guests (he got the last sushi from our cafeteria today), I know better than to give out any company e-mail addys online. You can believe me or not, I don't care really. I'm just trying to shoot down rumors. I love the Contemporary as much or more than any of you guys out there. Oh, and i'll give you a free personal tour of the new guest room if you can tell me why there's a giant crack in the terazzo in the lobby.

DisneyJill

XS-Spence said:
I love the Contemporary as much or more than any of you guys out there.

Not more than me, buddy. The Contemporary will always have a special place in my heart. I'm home when I'm there. :)

You can love it as much though. I'm okay with that. :animwink:

drnilescrane

Again, my problem is not really with DVC, my problem is if they do do it, I have that Gut feeling Disney will pull another Convention center out of the hat and build something, while a great building in it's own right, Just doesn't match the tower.

I also love the contemporary, and I just dont want to see something awful tacked onto the tower.

XS-Spence

drnilescrane said:
The contemporary would look good with rich seablue glass on the balcony rails and the ends of the concourse and a sandstone color on the colums (Click Here For an Examples), but I don't think it would good painted anything else but white. Fits in with Tommorowland, the theme of the resort.

(The Contemporary is a major matter of personal interest for me :) )

On this note also, the concrete of the Contemporary IS a light sandstone color, not white. The only white is a bit leading up to the 4th floor and between the floors of the balconies. The new railings are dark brown and the new dividers between the balconies are the same sandstone color as the building now, not the current salmon colored ones. Our theme is Art & Architecture, the Contemp isn't and never was meant to be futuristic, just modern.

Haha, you're too quick for me
drnilescrane said:
Again, my problem is not really with DVC, my problem is if they do do it, I have that Gut feeling Disney will pull another Convention center out of the hat and build something, while a great building in it's own right, Just doesn't match the tower.

I also love the contemporary, and I just dont want to see something awful tacked onto the tower.

The new 5-story DVC building currently is planned to match the main tower building, moreso than the current brick garden wings. Although, to paraphrase someone I love, If it's Disney, don't count on it until you see them pouring the concrete, THEN it's still not for sure.

speck76

XS-Spence said:
Here's what's going on at the Contemp.

All the guest rooms, with the exception of the North Garden building, are being changed over to the new, classy design. this should be done by late December.

The North Garden building and the 2 southernmost tennis courts are going to be razed and a 5-story DVC building will be built in it's former location.

The Concourse Steakhouse wil be moved to the 1st floor in the place of the food & fun center, and get a new name.

Food & fun will move up to the 4th floor, which is also due to be totally redecorated (with the exception of the mary blair mural).

The Children's tv viewing area will be moved to the current location of Contemporary Grounds coffee shop, which will be moving near the lobby entrance to the Convention center (where the old Amex desk and bell svcs. used to be.) There will be a water feature installed on the large round column that has "My Congratulations, Mr. Stokowski" (the mickey statue) in front of it. The entire lobby will be drastically redesigned & redecorated.

I won't know more until I see sketches, but I'll try to keep you guys updated. Until then, if you come in the lobby, be sure to say hi to the Themed Doorman, I hear he's a cool guy. ;-)

That sounds about right.....

drnilescrane

I was thinking a darker sandstone.

I know the Resort was built to be a backdrop for Tommorowland, the same as the Polynesian being Adventureland's backdrop as well as the Grand Floridian being a Backdrop for Main Street, though I do agree M.E. changed the theme to Art and Architecture.

And It wont be upset at the loss of the Salmon and light blue railings. Do you know where the chairs from the lobby will end up?

Edit: Your Quick as Well!

If Pop Century is an example to go by, I wont believe it till it's built and a Trip Report is posted by a Journalist on AllEarsNet\Mouse Planet\Mice Age\WDW Magic\etc.

XS-Spence

drnilescrane said:
I was thinking a darker sandstone.

I know the Resort was built to be a backdrop for Tommorowland, the same as the Polynesian being Adventureland's backdrop as well as the Grand Floridian being a Backdrop for Main Street, though I do agree M.E. changed the theme to Art and Architecture.

And It wont be upset at the loss of the Salmon and light blue railings. Do you know where the chairs from the lobby will end up?

The resorts were never really meant to be a backdrop for anything in the parks, it just turned out that because of the building design, it wasn't necessary to block the Contemp from the sightline of Tomorrowland. (You can also see it quite plainly in Liberty Square, in front of Hall of Presidents, facing the hub) The Grand Floridian was originally an Asian themed design, you can still see it on pre-opening brochures and concept art.

As for the chairs? We have a place called Property Control for those. ;-)

peter11435

Oh, and I’ll give you a free personal tour of the new guest room if you can tell me why there's a giant crack in the terazzo in the lobby.

The crack is from the last time they fired the missiles out of the castle. The ground shook so much it cracked the terrazzo…. :lol: No really the crack is meant to represent the Grand Canyon :lookaroun .

drnilescrane

XS-Spence said:
The resorts were never really meant to be a backdrop for anything in the parks, it just turned out that because of the building design, it wasn't necessary to block the Contemp from the sightline of Tomorrowland. (You can also see it quite plainly in Liberty Square, in front of Hall of Presidents, facing the hub) The Grand Floridian was originally an Asian themed design, you can still see it on pre-opening brochures and concept art.

As for the chairs? We have a place called Property Control for those. ;-)
In the book, 'Building a Dream', by Beth Dunlop (Commisioned by Disney in 1996), it does state in an interview with the designers of the Grand Floridian that Walt wanted the hotels around the lake to relfect the lands. He stated that the Grand Floridian is themed to Main Street. I know that the hotel in that location was ment to the the Asian, but M.E. wanted the GF when it came time to add a new hotel.

Now I want to be in Property Control :)... The chairs are uncofortable but cool as.

Now, the crack. Does it have anything to do with the settling of the Foundations (The same reason the rooms can't slide out), or a Guest who refused to travel lightly, or any previous renovations?

XS-Spence

peter11435 said:
The crack is from the last time the fires the missiles out of the castle. The ground shook so much it cracked the terrazzo…. :lol: No really the crack is meant to represent the Grand Canyon :lookaroun .

OOOH ouch, SO close on the 1st one. That being said, i'm going to put a stipulation on this that future answers must be delivered in person. I want to talk to you guys that love the 'Temp so much!!! (Plus i can give you mickey stickers for playing if you are wrong.)

drnilescrane

XS-Spence said:
OOOH ouch, SO close on the 1st one. That being said, i'm going to put a stipulation on this that future answers must be delivered in person. I want to talk to you guys that love the 'Temp so much!!! (Plus i can give you mickey stickers for playing if you are wrong.)
Hmmm... That changes it quite a fair bit. Unfortuatly I cant use the the Fantasmic accident at DL where they shot three full shows worth of fireworks out at the same moment.

(And I Didn't Know They Changed The Name Back To 'Tempo Bay :p)

cuteazabutton74

The new 5-story DVC building currently is planned to match the main tower building, moreso than the current brick garden wings. Although, to paraphrase someone I love, If it's Disney, don't count on it until you see them pouring the concrete, THEN it's still not for sure.[/QUOTE]

I think we should wait to see what happens. I usually read what everyone has to say and their input but always wait for the final results. I do believe that Disney at most times has plans to build something but make many changes. We will have to wait and see.
Cary

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom