Contemporary Rehab/Chef Mickey question

TTATraveler

XS-Spence said:
Here's what's going on at the Contemp.

All the guest rooms, with the exception of the North Garden building, are being changed over to the new, classy design. this should be done by late December.

The North Garden building and the 2 southernmost tennis courts are going to be razed and a 5-story DVC building will be built in it's former location.

The Concourse Steakhouse wil be moved to the 1st floor in the place of the food & fun center, and get a new name.

Food & fun will move up to the 4th floor, which is also due to be totally redecorated (with the exception of the mary blair mural).

The Children's tv viewing area will be moved to the current location of Contemporary Grounds coffee shop, which will be moving near the lobby entrance to the Convention center (where the old Amex desk and bell svcs. used to be.) There will be a water feature installed on the large round column that has "My Congratulations, Mr. Stokowski" (the mickey statue) in front of it. The entire lobby will be drastically redesigned & redecorated.

I won't know more until I see sketches, but I'll try to keep you guys updated. Until then, if you come in the lobby, be sure to say hi to the Themed Doorman, I hear he's a cool guy. ;-)

Sounds like the Contemporary is really going for a complete modernization. Any ideas on what the DVC parts will look like? Will they built to look similar to the main A-Frame building or will they have a completely different look?

DisneyJill

XS-Spence said:

All the guest rooms, with the exception of the North Garden building, are being changed over to the new, classy design. this should be done by late December.

The North Garden building and the 2 southernmost tennis courts are going to be razed and a 5-story DVC building will be built in it's former location.

The Concourse Steakhouse wil be moved to the 1st floor in the place of the food & fun center, and get a new name.

Food & fun will move up to the 4th floor, which is also due to be totally redecorated (with the exception of the mary blair mural).

The Children's tv viewing area will be moved to the current location of Contemporary Grounds coffee shop, which will be moving near the lobby entrance to the Convention center (where the old Amex desk and bell svcs. used to be.) There will be a water feature installed on the large round column that has "My Congratulations, Mr. Stokowski" (the mickey statue) in front of it. The entire lobby will be drastically redesigned & redecorated.

I won't know more until I see sketches, but I'll try to keep you guys updated. Until then, if you come in the lobby, be sure to say hi to the Themed Doorman, I hear he's a cool guy. ;-)

Thanks!! I'm a former Contemporary CM so I bet we know some of the same people! Keep us posted and welcome to the boards! :wave:

cuteazabutton74

I hope that they don't get rid of the Fun and food center. I love staying at the contemporary. I guess since I will not be going to Disney in Dec. I will miss the hotel but I will see it again next year when it is completed. Thanks for the update.

Cary

fngoofy

XS-Spence said:

Yeah, right.

drnilescrane

XS-Spence said:

Source?

ddank

these moves make so much sense its scary. only thing is will the concourse steakhouse get a new name since its no longer on the concourse?

drnilescrane

They do, and should contribute to a better resort as a whole when looking it at a subjective view (Except for DVC... I know from experience they will stuff up the design and create another Convention Center-esque building, rather than doing a postmodern interpretation of the Tower). From a personal view, I do kinda have a soft spot for the more classy developments of the late 80's/90's, and I'd hate to loose the purple and green theme including those chairs in the lobby.

(A bit of shameless cross-foruming, but here is something I whipped up for MiceChat as a remix of the current logo: http://www.catalystcompsolutions.com/contemporary3.jpg)

RE Concourse Stakehouse (Bearing In Mind I Would Like a Source Before Treating It as Law)
XS-Spence said:

bgraham34

The Contempory definitely needs a rehab. I am glad they are updating everything. But sometimes dated is cool but in Disney's case i dont think so.

Shaman

bgraham34 said:
The Contempory definitely needs a rehab. I am glad they are updating everything. But sometimes dated is cool but in Disney's case i dont think so.

I think they need to work on the exterior colors....nothing too contemporary about them...

It would be cool if Contemporary at some point had an entrance to the park through Tomorrowland...if its too big a walk...a small people mover could transport people there...it would add to the resort's guest experience...just a thought....:lookaroun

:)

drnilescrane

objr said:
I think they need to work on the exterior colors....nothing too contemporary about them...

It would be cool if Contemporary at some point had an entrance to the park through Tomorrowland...if its too big a walk...a small people mover could transport people there...it would add to the resort's guest experience...just a thought....:lookaroun

The contemporary would look good with rich seablue glass on the balcony rails and the ends of the concourse and a sandstone color on the colums (Click Here For an Examples), but I don't think it would good painted anything else but white. Fits in with Tommorowland, the theme of the resort.

(The Contemporary is a major matter of personal interest for me :) )

drnilescrane

Here is a really bad photoshoped image of what I would like it to look like.

CRPhotoshoped1.jpg

cuteazabutton74

objr said:

That would be great to create a walk way or people mover but then what about the monorail? Don't you think it would be a bit too much?
Cary

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Actually, I heard from a reliable source that Chef Mickeys is going to be moved to Tony's at MK, Concourse Steak house moved to Le Cellier, and California Grille to The Land to fit in with Soarin.......

ddank

hakunamatata said:
Actually, I heard from a reliable source that Chef Mickeys is going to be moved to Tony's at MK, Concourse Steak house moved to Le Cellier, and California Grille to The Land to fit in with Soarin.......

hahaahahahah!!! best rumor ever. I just hope this person is being sarcastic.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
hakunamatata said:
Have you been hanging around the bus drivers again? :lol:

jmuboy

FROM THE DVC OCTOBER NEWSLETTER:

Refreshing the classics
oct_club_12.jpg
Disney's Contemporary Resort and Disney's Polynesian Resort, the two original Walt Disney World Resort hotels, are undergoing an extreme makeover.

New décor, furniture, carpeting, lighting, bathroom fixtures and more will give each Resort's Guest rooms a dramatic new look.

The most "extreme" changes are in the works at Disney's Contemporary Resort, which currently features a look inspired by the bold, bright colors of the Contemporary Art Masters of the 1950s and 60s. The new, more upscale look, pictured above, blends the elegance of muted color accents reds, greens and yellows with basic black and white.

"The word 'contemporary' can have a lot of different meanings," said Kevin Myers, Vice President of Walt Disney World Resort hotels. "What we've tried to do is create a warm environment where Guests – whether on business or vacation – can feel at home."

oct_club_13.jpg
Disney's Polynesian Resort Guest rooms also are getting a new look, pictured left, retaining the same "South Seas Islands" style that has been the Resort's hallmark since 1971. Dark, hand-carved wood furniture contrasts with tropical blues, greens and browns in bedspreads, paintings and wall coverings.

Both Resorts also are receiving upgraded furniture elements, such as flat-screen televisions and designer bedding, as well as updates to décor in hallways and public areas. Renovation work is scheduled to conclude at Disney's Polynesian Resort by early summer 2006, and the Disney's Contemporary Resort refurbishment is scheduled for completion about six months later. Renovation at each Resort is taking place in phases, with a small number of rooms undergoing refurbishment during each phase. Therefore, both Resorts remain fully operational throughout the project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom