News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

Castle Cake Apologist

The main thing I don't understand is the disconnect between the overall refurbishment/reimagining of the Contemporary and this room refresh.

The rest of what they're doing (historic touches in the lobby, mini-museum, historically decorated dining) sounds like it will be wonderful, but these rooms just look terrible. Why wouldn't they go all in with the monorail touches instead of weirdly blending them with needless Incredibles decoration?

I can't imagine paying Contemporary prices for this.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I never was a big Contemporary person myself, mainly because the pool area is lacking compared to all other deluxes. This is just the dagger in the heart of not staying here in the foreseeable future. Yes you can walk to MK, 1 park, but the Yacht/Beach/.Boardwalk and S&D you can walk to 2 and have better pool areas.

GimpYancIent

I never was a big Contemporary person myself, mainly because the pool area is lacking compared to all other deluxes. This is just the dagger in the heart of not staying here in the foreseeable future. Yes you can walk to MK, 1 park, but the Yacht/Beach/.Boardwalk and S&D you can walk to 2 and have better pool areas.
I was never a fan of staying in a big monorail station w rooms deemed to be a resort myself. That said the big allure as I see it was the monorail access and Location / Location / Location in relation to MK not the theming.

rle4lunch

The Contemporary never really 'did' it for me. I mean it's outward design was cool and novel (monorail thoroughfare and modular build). But it was outdated about 5 years after it was built. I guess if I wanted to have a 1970's Ikea vacation experience it would be cool, but that doesn't scream "fun vacation". We stayed at BLT a couple years ago, and it was nice and all, but was very sterile feeling to me. To me, any update to this resort is a good one. Give it some LIFE!

Mr. Moderate

The vast majority of people staying at this hotel aren't coming for, or caring about, the hotel's history. They're coming because it's right next to MK and has good dining and transport options. People who pay $1000 a night still want Disney.
People who have that money to spend, usually want more than childish looking room decor that looks like it was designed by Target for a child's bedroom. Once this gets to the mainstream and regular people who are consider a trip to WDW and see the steep price are going to be giving this a hard pass, as they should. This, with the exception of the bathroom, reeks of a cheaply designed value resort from a decade ago or longer.

Honestly and not being rude, but you strongly come across as a paid straw man to boost positive reviews for what a lot of people are saying is a failure. Your first post on this thread gushing about the rooms, pinged my radar and I've been on Disney related boards like this for almost 20 years.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I like it.

Certainly better looking than the old room which has the vibe of "my wife has started dabbling in interior design and so she changed the den into a man-cave for me." I lived through the dark brown 70's... don't want to repeat it.

The Contemporary was always overpriced. It's bold architectural look... not awful, but not something I would get excited about or would want to replicate anywhere. Disney certainly didn't extend the look to the attached convention center or Bay Tower.

Deluxe pricing isn't based on interior design, it's based on location and amenities and to a small extent, size of rooms (since you certainly don't get a lot of floor space in the standard overpriced rooms compared to other non-Disney hotels). The monorail resorts are overpriced to *a lot* of people (including myself).

One thing people have mentioned: how great to have the monorail. Um... isn't is faster to walk to the MK? Especially since one of the ways entails going through all the other resorts first?

mgf

Here's the walkthrough posted on Tiktok -

Love the bathroom mirror.

The vast majority of people staying at this hotel aren't coming for, or caring about, the hotel's history. They're coming because it's right next to MK and has good dining and transport options. People who pay $1000 a night still want Disney.

Or their company is paying it, and they never cared about pricing anyway.

Ponderer

I like it.

Certainly better looking than the old room which has the vibe of "my wife has started dabbling in interior design and so she changed the den into a man-cave for me." I lived through the dark brown 70's... don't want to repeat it.

The Contemporary was always overpriced. It's bold architectural look... not awful, but not something I would get excited about or would want to replicate anywhere. Disney certainly didn't extend the look to the attached convention center or Bay Tower.

Deluxe pricing isn't based on interior design, it's based on location and amenities and to a small extent, size of rooms (since you certainly don't get a lot of floor space in the standard overpriced rooms compared to other non-Disney hotels). The monorail resorts are overpriced to *a lot* of people (including myself).

One thing people have mentioned: how great to have the monorail. Um... isn't is faster to walk to the MK? Especially since one of the ways entails going through all the other resorts first?

I like it too. It’s kind of a more pop art version of Kubrick’s space station interior from 2001.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom