News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

Mr. Moderate

The new room unfortunately look like a moderate resort...Art Of Animation style room...Certainly not a $500+/nt room...and certainly not luxe. This could have been so beautiful... boo.
I think the same way and a tribute to the early days of the resort and a throwback to era in which it was created and built, done properly with taste and quality, could have been a game changer for this once proud resort. At least it gives the Polynesian IP makeover a little more credibility. My wife who doesn't follow a lot of this stuff, saw the pictures I was looking at this morning and her first words were, is that a new set of rooms at one of the values? She commented how childish the blue FroZone pillow on the bed looked and it was then that I informed her it was the Contemporary. Definitely a hard fail.

PascagoulaRun

People who have that money to spend, usually want more than childish looking room decor that looks like it was designed by Target for a child's bedroom. Once this gets to the mainstream and regular people who are consider a trip to WDW and see the steep price are going to be giving this a hard pass, as they should. This, with the exception of the bathroom, reeks of a cheaply designed value resort from a decade ago or longer.
That is your opinion. My opinion is that it is nice and fun. People complain if there's "too much" IP, and people complain if there's no IP.

Honestly and not being rude, but you strongly come across as a paid straw man to boost positive reviews for what a lot of people are saying is a failure. Your first post on this thread gushing about the rooms, pinged my radar and I've been on Disney related boards like this for almost 20 years.
Yea, they sent me a fat check last week. Hopefully they can throw a couple free nights in for my efforts the next time we negotiate our contract. I know it's probably shocking that other people can like something at Walt Disney World, on a Walt Disney World fan forum.

Mr. Moderate

$646 is the lowest rack rate for a non-park view in the Tower for 2021. The average is closer to $800
When I had changed my reservation online back in February after seeing one of the rooms in the tower pop up, I took it and was thinking that if a good deal comes along, I'd keep it. At a little over $800 a night, I praying that good deal would come to justify our family's decision to move our October stay there. I have to thank this board because after reading about this on these forums a few months back, I had a bad feeling that this would turn out poorly and I was right. Luckily I saw a room pop up at the Polynesian a few weeks ago and in a far cheaper, standard category and I snagged it. At least I can live with their IP theme and the Polynesian is more a home for me anyway.

FantasiaMickey2000

When I had changed my reservation online back in February after seeing one of the rooms in the tower pop up, I took it and was thinking that if a good deal comes along, I'd keep it. At a little over $800 a night, I praying that good deal would come to justify our family's decision to move our October stay there. I have to thank this board because after reading about this on these forums a few months back, I had a bad feeling that this would turn out poorly and I was right. Luckily I saw a room pop up at the Polynesian a few weeks ago and in a far cheaper, standard category and I snagged it. At least I can live with their IP theme and the Polynesian is more a home for me anyway.
The poly and the contemporary? Not exactly living up to your name are you? And yeah, $800 a night for this is pretty steep.

Bocabear

That is your opinion. My opinion is that it is nice and fun. People complain if there's "too much" IP, and people complain if there's no IP
Do people really complain there is no IP in the Contemporary or the Polynesian? I find it hard to believe...
There is plenty of IP all around, it doesn't need to be in the rooms...not the way they have done it anyway... These rooms are adorable for Art Of Animation, but not in the Tower of the Contemporary... Do up the Garden wings as IP themed family suites, but the Contemporary tower should have remained modern and more luxe .

Mr. Moderate

That is your opinion. My opinion is that it is nice and fun. People complain if there's "too much" IP, and people complain if there's no IP.

Yea, they sent me a fat check last week. Hopefully they can throw a couple free nights in for my efforts the next time we negotiate our contract. I know it's probably shocking that other people can like something at Walt Disney World, on a Walt Disney World fan forum.

I was just speculating because your initial post came off that way and I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt the same thing. It wouldn't be the first time that Disney has put paid employees to push products, new DVC resorts, paid parties, etc and I've seen it before. Hopefully this isn't the case and you are entitled to your own opinion. I still strongly feel that this new room isn't going over too well with the Disney fan community and from what I've seen, my intuition is correct. IMHO, this was just a tone deaf move on their part for what this resort is and rack rate Disney is wanting. To each their own and time will tell.

Gringrinngghost

I want to give this a chance but I cant. I understand why Disney would be inclined to do this, but I feel that not every hotel needs to be linked to some IP. Some notes, the stickers such as the in the drawer can be removed, this isn't the Nickelodeon Family Suites that while there was a tad garish, at least had a certain charm to it. These rooms lack any actual character, outside of the stickers they posted on the walls and that does leave the room in this posters opinion to be overtly sanitized in feeling. The ONLY thing that was well done for that room was it's bathroom.

I can't wait for South Garden wing to be the only non-themed rooms because of well money.

Missing20K

None of it makes any sense. Put aside the IP. None of the rest of the design makes any sense.

Arguably the most well known hospitality company in the world and this is the best the interior department can do when selecting furniture and fixtures? The theme is “contemporary” not this odd blend of mid-century/googie, retrofuturism-chic, half-price all-inclusive spa.

Fire whoever approved this design. Then burn everything that hasn’t already been procured. And then start over.

edit: a word

Last edited:

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
The Moana elements at Poly does a better job complimenting the room. This feels like they had no idea how to tie in the Incredibles, and where they did do it maybe that's not a bad thing. "Boss said we have to put them in there, so let's stuff them in a closet, in a drawer, and on some pillows people can hide under the bed when in room. That's not enough? We'll do the stupid drapes but make it look we just stuck on small fat head stickers."

I do like the Jack Jack print though, it fits well. I also like the table design. But the room feels sterile with some attempts in the bed wall and runner that just end up being "okay." The room with beds on one wall and am entire wall of couches on the other feels gives a feel cramped feeling with bulky furniture everywhere. The bathroom looks soul less and like it's straight out of a chain hotel.

nickys

Premium Member
So the Contemporary is used for conventions, right?

Does decorating the rooms with Pixar characters say “sophisticated” to you? Is this really going to go down well with the convention crowd?

I fully admit, I really, really detest the style of animation used in the movie, so have never watched it. I know I’ll be in a minority there. But it just looks tacky to me, like a kids playroom. Urgh.

James Alucobond

I want to give this a chance but I cant. I understand why Disney would be inclined to do this, but I feel that not every hotel needs to be linked to some IP. Some notes, the stickers such as the in the drawer can be removed, this isn't the Nickelodeon Family Suites that while there was a tad garish, at least had a certain charm to it. These rooms lack any actual character, outside of the stickers they posted on the walls and that does leave the room in this posters opinion to be overtly sanitized in feeling. The ONLY thing that was well done for that room was it's bathroom.

I can't wait for South Garden wing to be the only non-themed rooms because of well money.
I think it would actually be pretty dead-on for mid-century modern if you nixed the decals, curtains, and accent pillows and picked a slightly more luxe table and cabinetry. Neutral with pops of garish color in the furniture was the trend at the time. Might be nice if the light covers were glass with an ombre effect too.

What I think detracts from practically every modernized version of a period-specific space I see, however, is the overly white light. I personally can't stand pure white LEDs and compact fluorescents. I think it cheapens practically everything and makes it feel overly clinical.

38053WDW

An $800/night deluxe room should be more than "nice and fun." It should be feel distinctly higher end than a comparable value or moderate room. In this case, it does not.
Exactly ... I know it's a DVC (high turnover) but we rented the Grand Villa once and it was very nice but on the two story wood mural someone had stuck stickers on it! It looked like the cleaning crew did the best they could to remove them but you could clearly see the sticky part of those stickers up and down each side.. I thought such a nice place but I have to look at that? I'm scared Grand Floridan will be turned into Mary Poppins or Alice in wonderland IP! Might have to look into the Four Seasons .. Also someone go check out the mattress tag at AoA and see if they are the same here..

Last edited:

Ayla

I was just speculating because your initial post came off that way and I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt the same thing. It wouldn't be the first time that Disney has put paid employees to push products, new DVC resorts, paid parties, etc and I've seen it before. Hopefully this isn't the case and you are entitled to your own opinion. I still strongly feel that this new room isn't going over too well with the Disney fan community and from what I've seen, my intuition is correct. IMHO, this was just a tone deaf move on their part for what this resort is and rack rate Disney is wanting. To each their own and time will tell.
Judging by the majority of comments I'm reading here, twitter and FB, this design is a huge fail.

Ayla

I agree, I like the bathroom. Not enough to pay $800+ a night, though.

Ayla

So the Contemporary is used for conventions, right?

Does decorating the rooms with Pixar characters say “sophisticated” to you? Is this really going to go down well with the convention crowd?

I fully admit, I really, really detest the style of animation used in the movie, so have never watched it. I know I’ll be in a minority there. But it just looks tacky to me, like a kids playroom. Urgh.
How can you, as a designer, leave out desks in a convention resort?! A place where people come to do some work?

James Alucobond

I'm scared Grand Floridan will be turned into Mary Poppins or Alice in wonderland IP! Might have to look into the Four Seasons ..
If they have to do it, Mary Poppins is probably the best hope for something genuinely subtle. Just give me a throw pillow with a Victorian cameo of Mary, a parrot-headed umbrella in the closet, a Saint Paul's snow globe, and a painting of Cherry Tree Lane or something. Just no overdone wallpaper, please. :(

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Unless it has Disney characters plastered all over it, it isn't Disney enough. I am still wondering which characters Victoria and Albert's will eventually get re-themed to.
VA couple.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom