News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
+1 on the new sinks, and a bonus like for @ShookieJones for naming the old ones. I’d go a step further and call them splashy a$$ non-draining sinks however.

We haven’t staid on property for our last few visits. We actually found deals for Four Seasons, got a luxury rental and still spent less than we would have at The Contemporary. From what I can tell the bathroom is an improvement for us. The rest of the room, not so much. I’m assuming a safe will be in the room, but didn’t see one. The same applies to the fridge. The couch may be a plus for some but doesn’t add anything for us. At some point my wife and I usually end up having to do some work and it appears that the desk is now gone. We’ll see how that works out with conference and convention guests. Finally, some of the drawers seem to be missing. We filled them during 10 day trips in early December when weather could change frequently.

Non splashy a$$ sinks just aren’t enough to make this a win for us.
The one time we stayed at the Contemporary, we really blew it out for my wife's 50th theme park view, etc. I saved some side money and surprised my wife with a spa day and few other things along the way, it was a grand once in a life-time trip, and even though I am bright side positive minded guy, those dang splash a$$ sinks really got in my craw for some reason. LOL.

Anyway, the points, you made about the desk, the safe and ultimately about being able to stay off site and get a nice whip to tool around in all for cheaper than your stay at the Contemporary all make perfect sense as to why a stay here isn't going to be in your plans anytime soon.

Now if they said, "Hey Jorge It's Disney! We got no splashy a$$ sinks, $300 dollars a night off and free breakfast"
then maybe you would consider, hiding your valuables in a waterproof bag near some alligators in Bay Lake and doing your work on the bed with a Frozone pillow as your desk.

raymusiccity

Also I am very happy to see that a Contemporary “mini-museum” is on the way. The resort absolutely deserves that. The Polynesian one is so lovely and I hope we get something just like it.

And no mention of Incredibles going into The Wave......could it be the rumored Steakhouse 71?
Not just The Wave, but how about Bay Lake Tower? It is connected to the Contemporary and has heavy architectural touches linking them to each other.

Weather_Lady

For me, it's less the IP and more that the design of these rooms doesn't look anything close to "deluxe." And I actually like The Incredibles and had decent hopes for this refurb since the films being set in very much a mid-century modern aesthetic was perfect for the Contemporary Resort. A new room design that was all in on the mid-century modern look with some (subtle) IP splashes would have been perfect.

Basically, distill this across the entire resort. That's what this refurb should have been.
View attachment 565981

View attachment 565991
View attachment 565988
Totally agree. The best way to make the rooms... well, Incredible... would have been to borrow the sleek, modern and upscale decorating aesthetic from the films, with some subtle, only-fans-will-notice character references. Great mid-century modern furniture and light fixtures are so huge right now, it could have been a knockout.

Granted, I rather like the Moana makeover at the Polynesian, but it's far more subtle in my view -- with character references appearing mainly in artwork, such that if one didn't know it was from a movie, they would just think it was colorful Polynesian-inspired art. In contrast, the new rooms at the Contemporary seem engineered to make you feel like you're inside an Incredibles gift shop rather than The Incredibles' universe, complete with character pillows and curtains, and cartoony decopauge inside the closets and drawers to continually slap you in the face with flaccid bits of IP. That's not to say that the decor isn't clever and precious, because it is, but as others said, it's the perfect taste and age-appeal level for Art of Animation, not for a sophisticated, grownup-friendly adult resort costing several hundred dollars per night.

It's like Frozen in the Norway Pavilion -- I like and enjoy it in its own right, but I don't feel like it belongs where Disney put it.

Last edited:

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
"Taking what Disney has announced into account, our sources indicate that The Wave…of American Flavors will absorb the historical theming that the lobby is getting, and the new dining experience that Disney eludes to in their press release will be Steakhouse ’71.

Steakhouse ’71 will reportedly take cues from the Steakhouse 55 concept at the Disneyland Hotel, and the restaurant will be decked out in historical photos of not only construction of The Contemporary, but also early construction of Walt Disney World. This theme will be heavy in nostalgia, and sit in contrast with The Incredibles theme taking place in the guest rooms."

Wow that's wild. I thought for some reason they were going to go Incredibles with the restaurant as well.

So the rooms are mimicking a 60s' era modern and the restaurant will be focused on the 70s!
The Contemporary is really going retro! ;)

I enjoyed Wave and and was sad to see it go, but I am kind of intrigued about this Steakhouse. It's going be Signature I am sure
Let's see if my wallet is as intrigued as my mind is.

Disney Analyst

…but as others said, it's the perfect taste and age-appeal level for Art of Animation, not for a sophisticated, grownup-friendly adult resort costing several hundred dollars per night.

I don't hate it, but I think these rooms are a bit of a missed opportunity.
I have to disagree. I’ve just looked at some video of AoA rooms - they are a whole other life of tacky, cheap, value centred design…

You can dislike IP added to deluxe resorts, but this is far more sophisticated, designed well, beautiful deluxe furnishing and finishes.

I find the IP relatively subtle, and while the wraps in the closet aren’t my favourite, they are hidden.

I wouldn’t stay anywhere at the price per night the deluxes cost, before or after refurb… but I would stay in this room at regular hotel pricing, and love it.

KCheatle

I guess I'm the oddball here😳...I think they're cute??? 🤷‍♀️I like the vibe, and I think adding characters is fun! My biggest issue with the Contemp before was that it had no theming that made it feel "Disney" in the rooms. It was just a modern room? That...and the sinks and showers that never drained. But...anyway...I think they did a nice job of keeping it in the theme of the hotel but also adding some fun for parents and kids. I actually looked to see if there was a room there that I could switch to for my October trip. There is, but it's club level theme park view and its $1200/night, so I will pass....but, it still got me looking?

The Aracuan Bird

I have to disagree. I’ve just looked at some video of AoA rooms - they are a whole other life of tacky, cheap, value centred design…

You can dislike IP added to deluxe resorts, but this is far more sophisticated, designed well, beautiful deluxe furnishing and finishes.

I find the IP relatively subtle, and while the wraps in the closet aren’t my favourite, they are hidden.

I wouldn’t stay anywhere at the price per night the deluxes cost, before or after refurb… but I would stay in this room at regular hotel pricing, and love it.
This is the biggest point. It looks fine, but if they want to keep charging the high prices, “Incredibles theming” was not the thing to prioritize.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
The one time we stayed at the Contemporary, we really blew it out for my wife's 50th theme park view, etc. I saved some side money and surprised my wife with a spa day and few other things along the way, it was a grand once in a life-time trip, and even though I am bright side positive minded guy, those dang splash a$$ sinks really got in my craw for some reason. LOL.

Anyway, the points, you made about the desk, the safe and ultimately about being able to stay off site and get a nice whip to tool around in all for cheaper than your stay at the Contemporary all make perfect sense as to why a stay here isn't going to be in your plans anytime soon.

Now if they said, "Hey Jorge It's Disney! We got no splashy a$$ sinks, $300 dollars a night off and free breakfast"
then maybe you would consider, hiding your valuables in a waterproof bag near some alligators in Bay Lake and doing your work on the bed with a Frozone pillow as your desk.

Absolutely! It is our preferred resort on property. The location is great. The convenience of the monorail is a bonus. When we sit down for breakfast we love The Wave.

It’s quite possible that we’ll spend some time there for the 50th. It’s just not a lock like it used to be. The last several trips were a nice change in our usual pattern. More meals at Disney Springs. Less time spent waiting for busses with the rental available.

I wouldn’t describe either option as better or worse. They are just different. What might appeal to us for one trip may not the next.

Ayla

Totally agree. The best way to make the rooms... well, Incredible... would have been to borrow the sleek, modern and upscale decorating aesthetic from the films, perhaps with a couple of subtle, only-fans-will-notice character references. Great mid-century modern furniture and light fixtures are so huge right now, it could have been a knockout.

Granted, I rather like the Moana makeover at the Polynesian, but it's far more subtle in my view -- with character references appearing mainly in artwork, such that if one didn't know it was from a movie, they would just think it was colorful Polynesian-inspired art. In contrast, the new rooms at the Contemporary seem engineered to make you feel like you're inside an Incredibles gift shop rather than The Incredibles' universe, complete with character pillows and curtains, and cartoony decopauge inside the closets and drawers to continually slap you in the face with flaccid bits of IP. That's not to say that the decor isn't clever and precious, because it is, but as others said, it's the perfect taste and age-appeal level for Art of Animation, not for a sophisticated, grownup-friendly adult resort costing several hundred dollars per night.

It's like Frozen in the Norway Pavilion -- I like and enjoy it in its own right, but I don't feel like it belongs where Disney put it.
This resort costs way above several hundred dollars per night, especially in the main building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom